Only I Love Bakerloo Line?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by erg73, Feb 17, 2022.

1. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

The met follows the Chiltern line for its entire length beyond Finchley Road.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

Some 66s in the Wembley/Willesden area just in the yard areas would be quite nice

• Like Like x 2
  3. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Considering 313s were last used over 12 years ago on that section of track, and the 313 needed is almost completely different to the one we already have, I think that's completely out of the question.

• Like Like x 2
  4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Sadly yes. Just a shame a bit more thought didn't go into the route specification that could have allowed an earlier era.
    Then again, running 1938 stock on the current route setting is hardly prototypical either (nor is running Diesel Legends on the 2017 rendition of GWML) so there is a fine line beyond reality and fantasy already existent in DTG's paradigm (if it makes money) which I have no issue with crossing if it makes things more entertaining.

• Like Like x 2
  5. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Personally I think there is nothing wrong with it.

I played it a fair bit when the game first launched, but as soon as I got to the phase when I start looking towards running without HUD and being generally more realistic this route fell a bit short, the fact that the speed boards are not reflective, the hilarious amount of times you have to close doors on a red light, and the lack of CCTV in a route where it's fundamental to the "stop at a station routine" (btw the fact that some screens are broken and you have to fix them yourself is even worse) started to ruin the route to me.

Long drive time, slow speed and staying inside a tunnel are not my favourite things anyway, couple that with the lack of possibility to play realistically it just meant I shelved the route and mostly never played it again. I think if there were services only going on the overground section I could see myself doing them from time to time, but if it's either a 1h service or just underground... no thanks. Which is a shame given the fact I am a big fan of the TfL network IRL.

Again, I am fully aware this opinion is not representative of the community feelings, and as I said I'm nitpicking, and objectively I believe there is nothing majorly wrong with the route.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  6. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

The time period for the Bakerloo line is fine. If there is a london overground route in the future, perhaps BKL can get a class 378/710 layer for the Watford DC line in the future. Not every route needs to be set in the BR era or pre 2000s-2010s

• Like Like x 2
  7. Tanglebones

Tanglebones Well-Known Member

Fully agree on the lack of reflective speed signs. I felt a brief burst of hope when they moved the trigger to the front of the train but that didn't last. They really should make those reflective. Until then, I turn off the hud and [purists cover your eyes] just run at max speed between stations. I find it fun and relaxing, but would love to play properly though have a lot of difficulty reading the speed signs. And as I don't have a pay cheque from TfL autodepositing into my bank account every week, I'm not going to take time to memorize every one of them and their locations, lol.

• Like Like x 3
  8. LWDAdnane

LWDAdnane Well-Known Member

One thing I forgot to add to my earlier post is the issue whereby tunnels still have wet/slippery tracks when it's raining above ground. Another immersion killer to add to the list.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

OP, well there's no accounting for taste

10. Clumsy Pacer

It wears off after a few stops, and I'm fairly sure it doesn't happen at all if you start at E&C, but yes wheels do get magically bone dry the second they go into a tunnel ;)

11. Clumsy Pacer

Regardless of era, there'd have been nothing to put on the WCML or Watford DC lines except maybe a few 40s and 47s.

12. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Your post made me start up Bakerloo Line for the very first time and play a few services. But what can I say? What many people already stated: Staring most of the time into a pitch black tunnel hole ain´t exactly what the casual simmer (like me) apreciates. Good for initial brake point calculation though, and trying to keep-up-to-a-rather-tight-schedule exercise.
    The sound seems very good, though. Indeed.

13. LWDAdnane

LWDAdnane Well-Known Member

I haven't touched the route in months so hopefully it has indeed been fixed, but when I did play it often when I'd start a service at the elephant & castle end, I'd experience wheel slip if it was wet outside.

14. OldVern

It is virtually impossible to keep time on this route. I mean yes, generally I drive like an old woman, but even scorching into the platform at 25 or 30 MPH and hitting brakes at the last minute just can't do it. And you can't take that approach at the several locations where the game gives a red signal for no reason on the platform end.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Joethefish

Joethefish Staff Member

The signals in the underground section use approach control. They'll clear as you get close to them. Even trains that are not stopping must slow down until it clears for them. Standard across the deep levels.

The way it's done in game is through the timetable forcing a red until an instruction is complete. Meaning it can be made to go green once the train has stopped or once the doors have closed. But only manual signals can be controlled which is why only some of the underground stations can enforce this in game.

I must say however that, while unrealistic, I prefer approaching the stations that have greens over those with forced reds. Less stress.

So my question is, approach control cannot realistically be done at every stop. So should it be done at whatever stops are possible (like currently) or not at all?

• Like Like x 2
  16. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

I was suspecting something along these lines.

17. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

IMO not having to close doors on a red signal is kind of a big deal.

If that system could be arranged so the signal turns green as you as you stop, instead of when you close the doors (like the new Köln S-Bahn timetable), the best option would be to implement it everywhere it's realistic do to so.

Note that it's very important for this system to be consistent. For example I've encountered some examples in DRA where if I didn't close the doors, the signal wouldn't change and other times whether I completed the boarding instruction or not was irrelevant (as it should be). That means I have to treat each signals as if it forces me to close on a red. 1 instance is enough to break every stop.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Tanglebones

Tanglebones Well-Known Member

Adam's team fixed that with their last update, I believe.

• Like Like x 1
  19. OldVern

Personally I would say lose it, if it can't be done realistically and there is no train in the section ahead (obviously!).

Venturing slightly OT we get a similar situation on other routes where you are approaching a station where your run terminates but the train continues on (e.g. Reading on GWE) and you seem to always get a check down to a red signal at the end of the platform. Unless the train has an extended dwell time, in which case the signal would be kept at red waiting the "Ready To Start" from the platform staff, the signaller would normally pull off through the station if nothing else was about.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Clumsy Pacer

It should be done where it's realistic, or otherwise necessary in the timetable

• Like Like x 1
  21. Joethefish

Joethefish Staff Member

That's because its the end of the service. The system can ask for 3 blocks beyond the current task, in the direction of the next task. But if there's no more tasks, there's no where to clear to. Even if force red is unticked, it'll still be red.

22. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Abandon approach control on Bakerloo, given it's a base route where more novices are likely to play it, situations where the player ends up with an otherwise unnecessary SPAD by overshooting the station would only cause annoyance and frustration potentially alienating them from returning to the route and game. Having to close the doors first to receive a clear aspect also doesn't help, nor does the complicated start-up procedure (which could really do with a simple mode option for new people).

Personally I would swap out Bakerloo for London Commuter as the base UK route, which better demonstrates the capabilities of TSW2 (ideally with some optimisation if able). I get that the London Underground is more well known from a marketing perspective, but in a practical sense it really isn't the best route. Both the US and DE base routes aren't exactly famous but are more practical.

• Like Like x 2
  23. OldVern

The only use I could really see for it on Bakerloo is similar to the New York Subway with its "timer" signals, used to regulate early running or space trains further apart. However as it's almost impossible to run on time...
    That's a bit of a shame as in some respects it's creating a SPAD trap which wouldn't exist in reality. While the player's activity might end, the train is continuing even if just to the takeout portal and off stage. Maybe something to look at in TSW3?

Edit: Of course if SPAD's (along with missed station stops) were recoverable in return for loss of some AP it wouldn't be such a big issue.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 1