Google Maps Overlay Misaligned From Route

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Southernrailfan, Feb 18, 2022.

1. Southernrailfan

Southernrailfan Member

On the San Francisco to San Jose route I was making the Warm springs subdivision, when I noticed the google maps overlay was off compared to the route. How could I fix the google overlay so it's not misaligned?
    Here is a picture of the problem

The lines in green are the tracks in the google overlay, and the lines in red are where the routes tracks are.
    20220218170953_1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It might be Google is showing the correct alignment and the map in the game is not aligned correctly

• Like Like x 1
  3. Southernrailfan

Southernrailfan Member

Maybe, but is there any solution to this?

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The Google overlay would always be in the correct place - you cannot move it
    So you would have to rebuild the route to match the Google overlay - you would not gain anything AFAICS

5. TimeSlicedDanny

TimeSlicedDanny Active Member

There may be a way of altering the route origin, but I don't know how to do it.

6. hayward.john48

hayward.john48 Well-Known Member

There are many compromises in the game and curvature/track alignment is often “near enough” due to the curvature constraints in most track rules. It becomes very clear when you want to extend a route as it is rare that the google track and the game track coincide. Just one of “dem tings”.

7. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

No reason looking at the piccie, that the tracks could not follow the correct co-ordinates.
    Whoever created the route, obviously messed up.

• Like Like x 1
  8. hayward.john48

No argument here.:)

9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Does it make a difference?
    You drive the route and what you expect to see is there - so it's half a mile to the right of where it should be - so is everything else

10. hayward.john48

It doesn’t matter unless you want to extend the route but even then you can fit a “compensation curve” to bring the alignment onto the google earth path. We accept bigger compromises in the game anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  11. vogelm10

vogelm10 Well-Known Member

I'm just jealous you got the overlay to work...I did all the steps and it wouldn't let me add my api key into the box.

12. ndounseroux62

ndounseroux62 New Member

Look at it like this, if it's a free lance route this gives you the best opportunity to perfect you route building skills. A good example is the Donner Route, the poster saw a few flaws and took advantage of redoing the route. The only problem is, one small adjustment will lead to another and so on. As for the track radius, you will see it's easy to change the bin info to make it work. I looked at the FRET US route covering a area outside of New Orleans, being from here I was curious and ended up redoing the entire route.

• Like Like x 1
  13. leebrompton

leebrompton Member

When I extended the San Francisco to San Jose/Gilroy route south from Gilroy to Salinas, I had to add a compensation curve, so to speak, at MP 83 near Corporal, in order to bring the route to the correct alignment from that point onwards. It has made the whole project so much easier and will help a huge amount going forwards as I extend towards San Luis Obispo.