Train Sim World 2: New Journeys Expansion Out Now!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Feb 17, 2022.

1. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

I wanted to reply with "exactly, didn't have to think twice about the price". But you have to take in account that some members on the forum live in parts of the world where video games and DLC are very expensive

• Like Like x 2
  2. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

:o:o:o

3. BlaringHorn

BlaringHorn Well-Known Member

Or they just don't see the contents as worth paying for - just because one don't want to buy/like something doesn't have to mean they are "poor" either. And skipping on one DLC saves money for the one they really want (there's plenty to go around, old and new after all).

• Like Like x 2
  4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

One constructive point about the SD40's in the SPG section of the pack... Would have been nice to implement a working airflow indicator and the icing on the cake a functional EOT pressure reading.

5. solicitr

Would have been nice, but would have required assigning another dev than just a livery artist to the job.

6. BlaringHorn

Surely a pack like this is much cheaper/faster to make than new routes/locos though, low-cost and low-risk. No doubt packs like this are a good way to make some "extra" cash, since it seems people are willing to pay for them, so I think they won't have to resort to Haribo's just yet. ;) Now, I am more than willing to pay for content that I think is "bang for buck" (I own plenty of DLC already) and am looking forward to seeing more news on the Harlem Line, for instance.

• Like Like x 3
  7. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

antwerpcentral
    Thanks for your right comment!. Really appreciate it.
    After being one of the "fools"... who make an effort to purchase Sherman Hill route from release, - do to I like US Freight trains, UP and mainly the SD70ACE very much- but then I noticed the really unexpected and very bad news about 75% discount of this route!
    This was just less than one month of being released!
    That never happens before!.
    Usually you have some small discounts around 3 months, later, and after another similar period of time another extra discount of 25%...
    So.. I learned the lesson!.
    From now, I will never ever buy again a new route at launch time!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  8. BlaringHorn

Yeah, that was strange and I did buy it at launch as well. TBH, I would've thought Steam would have somekind of policy on not allowing discounts like that so soon after release. Another similar "case" I remember was Red Dead Redemption 2 had a discount soon after it was released on Steam (fortunately I bought it during that discount).

• Like Like x 2
  9. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Oh please dtg aren't broke. This isn't their first dlc after all.

Im not saying it should be free at all. I'm saying that not alot of thought went into this pack since it's mostly reskins. Sure one route gets a upgraded timetable but the rest is just reskins and for the price it's too much for too little overall. DTG should've just made seperate enhancements considering how little value the BKL and SPG expansion add to this pack. A new player would be better off buying a route dlc to be honest.

This is a cheap way for dtg to earn a quick buck since this would cost dtg less resources to make compared to a route/loco dlc since it's mostly reskins of existing trains

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 6
  10. Kappi701

Kappi701 Active Member

The only thing I criticise is that there has been an early feedback for the mistakes with BR 423 have not been noticed/implemented. I'll wait for a sale.

• Like Like x 2
  11. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

I don't want to sound like a snob; I'm not rich, I just live in a wealthy country. I can imagine how people living in countries with much lower wages get upset about pricing of DLC's and video games. I can even sympathise with that but I can't sympathise with people with my living conditions complaining about the price of this pack. Or you are in for the content or you aren't. I'm not into freight, I didn't buy Sherman Hill and I never will, not even on sale. Sherman Hill is not essential to my experience of TSW2 (sorry crew) and so is this pack not essential to any player that doesn't like this kind of content. Making the price go down does not make the content any better.

I tried not to sound like a snob but I probably failed miserably :D

• Like Like x 5
  12. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

After all I made my decision to pass on this one.
    Although it's not important I try to explain the reasoning behind:

It looks to me like Joe did a great job once again and I find it very cool to see how a crowded SKA looks like. That was desperately needed and it's a very welcome addition.
    However two major points are on my personal counterside:
    1) It saddens me that no update alongside the DLC was released. Tharandter Ramp still hasn't even received its 'day one' patch yet, something I believe every other product has (at least every other one I own). That still leads to Dostos with Full Beam Headlights at the back (seriously this should take no longer than 5 mins to fix) and PZB emergency brakings where they shouldn't be. Compared to other releases that looks quite minor what makes it more unbelievable why this could not be adressed yet. And I'm not starting with the PC updates, they'll stick in the pipelines forever anyway.

2) Looking at the actual content of the pack the BKL and SPG additions don't appeal to me at all and there is no way I'd purchase them if they were separate releases. That only makes the SKA upgrade the buying incentive - something what has been stated several times before by other users as well I think - and then the pack looks like to expensive for my 1€ = 1 hour of gameplay rule as I have driven SKA many times before and don't think the new timetable will be enough to change that. That's just personal opinion, of course. And I find it a bit sad that the Sindorf issue is still present and the freight runs are probably the same old Setup -> Set AFB to 100 -> do something else for the next 30 minutes as there's nothing to do - principle.

But looking at how the sidings are populated with trains and how Köln and Aachen profited from Joes work makes me look forward to future releases.

Aside from oncoming route DLCs I'm thinking of HMA for some similar pack - most happily received alongside a new loco as well but that's just blasphemy ;)

• Like Like x 4
  13. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Not true perhaps. It can't be used eg with CRR timetable. BR o7
    SPG only?

14. elaineedwards2013

elaineedwards2013 Well-Known Member

I am on Xbox One, but I cannot find the DB BR 101 in the Expansion Pack for some odd reason. Does anyone know why?:|:)

15. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

The BR 101 layer is not available for Xbox One or PS4 consoles.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. elaineedwards2013

elaineedwards2013 Well-Known Member

Okay thanks

17. solicitr

TB, remember that "reskins" aren't a big deal for us PC players, since we have access to mods and livery sharing, but it's rather more of a big deal for console players, who are pretty much stuck with default liveries.

• Like Like x 1
  18. tallboy7648

Im a console player and I don't find reskins a big deal. There are probably some that do. With creators club coming soon though, getting reskins/new liveries will be much easier and free

• Like Like x 1
  19. breblimator

breblimator Guest

These nightly short (<10 mins) S-Bahn services are like crisps \o/

• Like Like x 1
  20. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

It’s stayed a hard pass for me. I don’t like how it muddies the water between older tables still not being sorted and new ones released

• Like Like x 2
  21. solicitr

I’m not sure what you mean

22. chieflongshin

Bakerloo for example was pitched as a 400 timetable service and then we were due to have an upgrade to this to deliver the busy route it should be. This was supposedly free abs would require a lot of work.

Koln has has another 150 services or so added and a timetable rework but we pay.

It's a muddy line between when one sits under paid content or not

• Like Like x 3
  23. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Well i want to pay, im just tired of asking, suggesting and begging for timetable & route enhancements like this pack.

Im not expecting dtg do anything for free, but enhancement packs should be produced for every route where it makes sense.

The one like it can buy, the others who think its unnessecary can pass or get it on sale.

The jourey pack is a real success in my opinion. Really enjoy the busy ska with the static stock on the sidings. Messing around in the depot while behind you the trains follow the timetable.

Well done dtg for creating this pack, also joe who made an extra mile here. Excellent work

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  24. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I have to say this pack is worth it for the SKA improvements alone.

Took one of my least favorite routes (mainly due to being it so empty) and made it full of traffic and life. My only request would be adding the MRCE 185 to the new timetable (it's on the original timetable fwiw). Well done DTG!

The SD40 on Sandpatch is OK, but needs a patch for the numbering, number font, and broken number lights.

Haven't tried BKL yet, but with the current ghost-timetable it's kinda pointless IMO.

• Like Like x 4
  25. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Well SKA was only ever going to get Rush Hour passengers & PIS.

This pack isn’t charging you for the Bakerloo timetable (that still isn’t here), that was promised(?).

These packs will be the price for getting these types of enhancements faster, and they’re relatively cheap.

The issue, of course, is that it there is a bit of a bad taste when we have months worth of pres crew updates sat awaiting release.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I won't be buying as I don't have much interest in any of the base routes.

If the reason I barely play with SKA is that the timetable is a bit crap, then they should update it to make it more interesting by default. If it was more interesting and I played it more as a result, I'd be far more likely to pay for a new train DLC, but this "pay extra for the timetable-it-should-have-had-all-along and get a new(ish) train thrown in" seems all arse-about-face.

• Like Like x 4
  27. tallboy7648

Begs the question as to why they couldn't add these additional services when the route came out to begin with in the first place. SKA didn't have dispatcher issues.

Another way to earn a quick buck.

• Like Like x 2
  28. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I think DTG’s content has come leaps and bounds from the initial release of TSW 2, if you ponder back to that time, the whole idea of the route was laying the groundwork for the ICE, the train itself was a huge addition to TSW since we hadn’t seen anything along the lines of highspeed sets since GWE, for German content alone it was a huge thing to get their flagship ingame. SKA was DTG’s first venture into true highspeed runs, and as you’ll remember from the time, a lot of work went into bringing us SKA, which to be fair, was as good a timetable as any other route we had at the time.

Personally I think it’s fair enough that we have paid for DTG to go back and bring the route upto par with the likes of what we would see now, since SKA is the framework for which a lot of the other highspeed lines we have in the game now are based upon, and there’s the fact that the route was the equivalent of £8.33.

I can’t speak for BL or SPG, but I think the scope of work for SKA is far above what we would see for any pres crew update, especially within a timely manner.

If DTG need the financial aspect of such projects covering, then I’ll be happy to provide such support, after all, we want a lot for this franchise, and I don’t think we should be so naive to think it will all come for free.

• Like Like x 7
  29. Factor41

We do want a lot for the franchise, but if its opening gambit for new players isn't up to the standard of other DLC, where's the incentive to pay extra? I've bought enough DLC to demonstrate a willingness to pay for new content, but I buy add-ons for routes that are already interesting. If a route isn't interesting by default, I'm unlikely to try and buy my way to it being good.

If the game has moved on, it would be a shrewd move to make the base routes better with a free update and then say, "The game's moved on so we've made the timetable loads better - give it another play and when you see how good it is, maybe you'd also like to buy these new trains which add even more content." That's a far more compelling proposition for me than, "The game's moved on and we've made a much better timetable to reflect that - give us some more money and we'll let you see it, and you can have another train too."

• Like Like x 3
  30. meridian#2659

The routes have improved a lot. Since rush hour there are improvements on the service side, static stock and a ton of a.i services.

The older routes are released without that, so why should dtg enhance all that for free? With the payware they can deliver a quality experience, instead of do a "murks", which makes everybody angry but it was for free..

Like ck95 mentioned, the scope of this pack is way beyond a preservation update.

Its just the way it is. I hope there will be more packs. Maybe they can go to munich to augsburg (well on this im not sure how tsg will implement the br420), but also tvl and ntp could see an expansion related to a.i services etc.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  31. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Like above. I want more too. No need to buy if someone don't like / need / etc

32. Factor41

Because those base routes are what will be selling the game to new players who don't come in with a load of legacy DLC from TSW2020 like most of us did.

It's great that you're happy to pay to upgrade the route, but we know that the users on these forums are not entirely representative of the player base at large. If someone's dipping in for the first time, they may not even be aware that there's an option for them to play the route in a much more interesting way; "This is a bit dull, but I might spend £8 for an expansion pack" might turn out to be "This is a bit dull, let's try something else..." and your real upsell opportunity (more trains, more routes) is gone. I might be wrong, of course - I'm sure the sales figures will tell DTG if they've made the right choice.

• Like Like x 4
  33. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I must admit there is a fine line here, between what should be a free update to a trio of somewhat tired routes, and what should be paid new content. And remember, these 3 routes are still sold as part of the original core, so anybody starting out will have to spend an additional $14 to get the " enhanced versions. "

But this pack is more than just some additional journeys and liveries. It's also a scenario pack, which has never been free in TS. And the SD 40 is rather more than a fresh coat of old paint. The '423 breathes new life into SKA for me. Can't say much about Bakerloo, I abandoned that route a long time ago; it's just not very interesting and will/can never be improved.

Overall, on balance, I think DTG is entitled to sell this pack as new content. There's enough additional playtime here, just like there is in Diesel Legends. And, let's face it, no matter where you're coming from, we're not talking big bucks here. If I can get that great new SD40 horn for the price of breakfast at my local diner, I'm down with that.

PS: This " new " SD40 and its horn should be subbed into CRR pronto, as a free update, even though the Clinchfield SD 40 is supposed to be a pre-upgrade version.

• Like Like x 4
  34. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

it’s not just about new players though, DTG have repeatedly said in the past that that they aren’t keen on DLC for DLC, and however (if) they go forward with route extensions etc, then it’s going to get expensive, once you factor in loco DLC and initial route cost. Choosing the base routes for this DLC just ticks the most boxes for everyone, old and new players alike.

With regards to doing this sort of thing for free, I don’t think any free update would go to such lengths as to layer in a new timetable, add new scenarios and re-livery trains, plus we’ve seen that, in some cases, it takes literally years to push the free enhancements out.

If the enhancement is bigger, comes faster and has more effort put into it, why wouldn’t it be paid?

There are definitely issues with this pack, so I can’t say I’d purchase such a pack everytime without certain changes, however DTG are finally looking to put more dev time onto their existing content, alongside free updates for the same content, and that’s the difference really.

The free stuff such as layers, PIS, rush hour passengers have all come to this route, so if all you want is the free stuff, it’s there and it’s the same sized package as most of the other pres crew updates, but the paid pack goes above that level, and IMO there is certainly room for such packs.

• Like Like x 1
  35. chieflongshin

I just think more of this needs to come at release of a route .
    £9 for expansion
    £25 for route
    £12 for a train for every route.
    That's getting expensive, I hate this bitty approach to delivering a good route as by the time you have everything 6 other routes have released so you dont always want to visit old stuff with unrelease preserved updates. I'd rather pay the same amount for a complete experience straight off the bat with longer dev time

• Like Like x 6
  36. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

I think you have a fair point here. I think for new players esp. more casual ones or gamers who are not familiar with TSWs' business model the mindset would even be more like 'what, I have to pay again in order to get a more interesting experience? Ok, I'm out' .
    (In fact out of that audience I have been asked in the if every DLC is part of the base game and after denying that it was speculated to be at about 2-3€ each)
    But the TSW franchise is not designed for a wider audience so I guess that's fully ok in some way. At least, with their safety first approach, DTGs strategy most likely allows us to enjoy a game we are very passionate about for many years, even if it costs us a truckload of money in comparison to other games.
    But I really like your suggestion to combine those timetable expansions with new locos, not repaints. I hope something in that direction can be realized in the future.

• Like Like x 2
  37. meridian#2659

I think on the rail festival streams over christmas, matt mentioned the horn will be ported over to crr with an update.

But he didnt say when its gonna happen.

38. Louis-MTA NYCTA

Louis-MTA NYCTA Well-Known Member

For me I had mixed feeling about this "expansion pack"
    I felt as if this is more geared towards new players or people who want to expand the original base 3 routes, and that's it.
    I personally have not bought it, and I'm not going to buy it. To me this does not justify my personally "checklist" of something that should be purchased by me.
    I have seen many issues with this expansion pack.
    First I have made a 1972 MKII Original livery via the Livery Designer. I like it and that kind of defeats the purpose of me buying the expansion pack for that. Even if a few services were added including the railtours I still will not buy this. It would have been nice to see the old rollsigns be implemented on the front/back of the train though.

The CSX pack is interesting with the livery choice, but I have since gotten bored of Sand Patch Grade and would not justify me buying it for that reason. I think this would have been a great opportunity to bring back the GP40-2 that was present in the original NEC and the old Sand Patch Grade on TSW 2020.

As for the new German train and added services to Achen-Kolin route. I like how they added these new services, but it seems like it's just the same relative train (I know it's not) just being added to an existing route with new timetabled services. Recently I have gotten really bored and tired of seeing the same German trains being put on different routes. While I have no issue with this. I want to see something new, a new country perhaps?

This might have been a little rant form me, but I felt the need to point out what I think are some flaws what would make me avoid purchasing this. I am in no way trying to argue a point or statement here to not buy this expansion pack. Just stating my genuine opinion.
    Buy it if you want, but at the end of the day *You are deciding to buy this or not*.

• Like Like x 3
  39. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

And what about people who are only interested in one of the three? I'm only interested in Bakerloo as I don't play the other two, in fact I have removed them. So is £8.99 such good value for a reskin which could be done for free especially with this creations club coming.

But you're right in saying the 'community moans for content' the trouble is DTG are not listening to what people want if they did there would be no problem paying for it. I'd rather take the couple of beers. That is an option right?

• Like Like x 3
  40. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Then you're right. Not much in it for you. But for someone who likes even one of the other two, the pack has quite a lot of value.

I think they are listening, but that doesn't mean they produce specific suggestions. In fact they don't, they tailor their product to generally popular genres. That's why there is so much European commuter rail and North American freight, for instance.

41. eltt007

eltt007 Member

Personally, it doesn't seem expensive to me, although it seems unfair to me that the latest generation consoles have more privileges than the previous one. I don't think the DGT team is aware of the anger and discomfort it creates with these decisions. I like the game, but every day I plan more, will it be worth it?

• Like Like x 2
  42. Factor41

The beauty of consoles is that, with very few exceptions, they're all the same. If DTG try something on a Gen 8 and it doesn't work for them, and there's no simple way to make it work for them, it's not going to work on yours either. Having a cut down version with perhaps a few less layers is a better solution than an over-specced piece of software which crashes every time you try to play it and those really are the only two options (at least, other than stopping support for your console entirely). Demanding the exact same experience is like buying the PS4 version of Gran Turismo and feeling that it's unfair it doesn't use the raytracing tech that PS5 users will get. Let's not forget that the base PS4 is 2013 technology.

• Like Like x 3
  43. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Well you have a do I buy it for just the one reskin/ scenarios / services or not decision to make then. Sorry that's it. To me personally I use all three and I don't have a problem with the pack. I don't understand why people feel the need to have DTG personalise their own DLC just for them. Also how did you remove SPG & SKA as they are part of the core routes for TSW 2 and cannot be removed. Interesting.

Hentis

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  44. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Totally agree about the GP40-2. They could even have created a few services for it that could have layered onto Boston, which currently has no freight at all.....

The more I think about the silver SD40, the more it annoys me tbh- the SD40 probably never should have subbed in to SPG from Clinchfield in the first place, leading to so much annoyance (apparently) that they eventually took away the UP SD70ACE (which is actually fun to drive on SPG) from the route except for one helper service (why even have it listed just to disappoint like that).

Then, we get this silver SD40 with NO new services, a new horn (yay), but we're lucky if it arrives on Clinchfield sometime before 2030. They didn't even bother doing the numbering correctly (it even still uses the Clinchfield font), and to top it off, the number lights don't work....and it can't be layered/subbed anywhere else.

P.S. the SKA portion of the pack is fantastic, Louis' post just really got me thinking about why the SPG part is a letdown IMO.

• Like Like x 2
  45. solicitr

An OG SD40 wouldn't have one. EOT devices were the techno replacement for dragging a caboose around.

46. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

i don't want DTG to personalise anything for me just would be nice to have a choice. Removing the other two was just a case of deleting the pak files and unchecking the DLC options in steam.

• Like Like x 1
  47. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

According to the available "News" hype article, "Substitutions available for all existing SD40 timetabled services" for the "Stripey" version of the SD-40, officially designated as SD40 CSX-s. However, this livery does not appear at all among those available in the Clinchfield services carousel. There are a pitiful 2 scenarios for this loco, but I've yet to be able to locate and Services.

Of course, there is no users' manual available that might contain set-up and driving information for this engine.

Since I bought this add-on for this CSX livery alone, I'm severely disappointed.

What's up?

Here's another howdy-do: DTG also failed to include a tutorial for this engine. In the PC forum, a good Samaritan has reported that there is a tutorial for it on the Clinchfield route -- a lot of good that's going to do anyone who does not own that DLC!

• Like Like x 1
  48. solicitr

The tutorial for CSX-s is incorporated into the first scenario/first Journey service.

Anyway, it isn't all that much different from the SD40-2. The big change is having to reset the transition mode selector to "B" and use the throttle handle to control dynamic brakes.

49. meridian#2659

Its just cool how the MU working is made. Made a Brake / Traction Test scenario at duren. Even Push and Pull with 2 locos on each end is possible over the Cab Car jumper cables.

TSW2_Meridian_1645639763_00.png

TSW2_Meridian_1645639751_00.png

TSW2_Meridian_1645639817_00.png

TSW2_Meridian_1645641494_00.png

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nq-2wiR1OY

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
  50. ryan#1234

ryan#1234 Member

I really like the blue and yellow on the accelerometer in the BR 422 on Koln. Showing whether you are spedding up or decelerating. Could we see this feature on all trains? Send it to the preservation crew!