PC "buchfahrplan" Tool For Dresden – Chemnitz

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by OpenMinded, Feb 20, 2022.

1. OpenMinded

OpenMinded Well-Known Member

tygerways#2596 and myself have spend some time to create a new timetable tool, similar to the one we have done for Dresden Riesa, however, this time with the focus more on passenger service, rather then cargo. Big thanks also to Trenomarcus , as the data used for this tool is coming of his website TSW Service Mode Timetables (smtimetables.herokuapp.com)

As we dont have EBuLa working yet, we have created the next best thing, the Buchfahrplan, which has essentially all the same information's as the EBuLa, however, in a "paper" form (although, here the tool is excel based, and therefore digital as well;)). Obviously, the data presented is less, then what you would see in the real Buchfahrplan, it will enable you to drive without activating the HUD even once, as it contains all relevant information's for your particular service, even arrival and departure times for all stops along the route.

Again, you will need Excel to make this work and you will need to allow it to run Makros. For best visual representation of the real deal, I suggest you install the Font "Bahnschrift Condensed".

When you start the tool, you are greeted with a start screen (loosely based around an TRAXX MFD), where you need to make some entries, like what train, service, direction etc:
    upload_2022-2-20_21-19-6.png

You will find all relevant information's of your train (here an S3), like PZB setting, length, weight, etc...#

Next you select the line select key "create Fahrplan" and the correct Fahrplan will be generated for you:
    upload_2022-2-20_21-20-39.png

You can now print it, save it as PDF, use it off a mobile device, use a second monitor, etc, to use it parallel to your driving.

There may still be mistakes, bugs, etc. If you encounter one, please report back here, so we can fix it. For the future we are planning to add features. For example, if you drive a train with only a few stops, you would like to have a reference time along the route in your Buchfahrplan, to make sure you are still on time. This is not yet there, however, it is in planning. Not quire sure when it is coming, though.

Tygerways will add a link to his Discord, from where you will be able to download the tool. Hope you have as much fun with it as myself:cool:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 31
    • Helpful Helpful x 6
  2. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

This is the best thing ever. I can't thank you enough. I've put playing DCZ on hold waiting for a similar tool but this goes above and beyond even my most optimistic expectations...

Thank you.

• Like Like x 6
  3. tygerways#2596

tygerways#2596 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 7
  4. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Ok, you had my attention at Buchfahrplan, but blew me out of the window with this:
    I think I’ll swing by soon-ish to have a look. Thank you for your hard work, all of you! It looks astounding :D

• Like Like x 5
  5. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Oh my lord, the dreams come true! Thanks a lot!
    Other routes planned? :D

• Like Like x 5
  6. OpenMinded

Never say never… but it’s not planned currently. With DRA it was the fright that made me want to create something, as we did in the end. Here it was the GNT and the constant wish to be able to drive without HUD. I like what DTG has done, but the lack of forward „visibility“ drove us to create something like this.

But since the tech is available now (thanks to tygerways, who is a excel god), who knows, maybe some day…

• Like Like x 3
  7. rjeeves#3580

rjeeves#3580 Active Member

I was reading about ebula the other day and saw that drivers do have a paper copy just in case. So this isn't that far from reality. Thank you to the authors.

• Like Like x 7
  8. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

Imagine a crazy world where DTG might take advantage of your work and implement it in TSW on the screens directly
    It looks amazing, I’ll try it out later today. If I may ask, what data is this based on? Do you have access to an original document?

• Like Like x 3
  9. OpenMinded

No, the data comes off this page: https://smtimetables.herokuapp.com/

This page is from Trenomarcus and he uses certain tools to extract the data directly from TSW.

If DTG were to use it in game, the step to a real EBuLa would be small, the only information missing currently is your actual position, hence why it is „only“ the Buchfahrplan. And, don’t forget, it’s cool, but in the end it’s simply an excel spreadsheet.

• Like Like x 7
  10. Cramnor

Thanks, but I was more thinking about the position of speed limits and signals. In the UK there are these sectional appendix documents where you have all the detailed information, I was wondering if something like that would be available for Germany as well or if you have to find (and guess) those manually (since that is what I do at the moment)?

11. OpenMinded

Ok, sorry, was thinking the other way.

I tried to get hold of the official document, however, was not able to. I am familiar what the real one must look like, I am also in possession of the official RIL specifying the real Buchfahrplan. It took me four test runs to gather all data in order to fill the DCZ Buchfahrplan. As I said initially, the real one would contain more data, like GSM informations, power supply limitations, etc. But it does the trick to drive without HUD and gives a fairly realistic representation and a good immersion.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Lamplight

I haven't had a chance to use one yet while driving, but I just created a bunch of "template" timetables to use as a pdf on a tablet. They're absolutely marvellous, I can't stress enough what an awesome tool this is! For anyone in need of a comparison, I took a screenshot of a timetable created with this tool and one of a Buchfahrplan as supplied by the highly esteemed Zusi. See for yourself:
    2.png
    1.png

• Like Like x 9
  13. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

This is fantastic- thank you for all your hard work!!

• Like Like x 2
  14. raretrack

raretrack Well-Known Member

Oh my, this is superb! Combines two of my favourite things: TSW2 geekery and Excel VBA macros :love:

• Like Like x 4
  15. paweuek

paweuek Active Member

This looks like an excellent tool, but I have some problems using it. Can someone help me please?

upload_2022-2-21_17-54-52.png

16. OpenMinded

Which Excel version are you using?

17. paweuek

paweuek Active Member

Its Office 365. So this might be a problem? I'll check again on my work PC.

18. tygerways#2596

And what did you do to get this error?
    Can you press "Debug" and show me what line of code gets highlighted?

19. paweuek

paweuek Active Member

Yep - it's working as intended on other PC. Funny enough it's the same Office version...?!

20. Cramnor

Two comments for the eastbound IRE 1 services:
    - The speed out of Chemnitz is 80 and not 60 (ASig has 80 speed limit)
    - The start of GNT is earlier, shortly after the curve behind the 100 limit and definitively before Chemnitz-Hilbersdorf (at least in TSW that is), giving a 110 in the 100 section. Here, the start of GNT is not at the same place as the end of GNT for the westbound services.

21. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Fwiw VBA macros seem to be disabled on the mobile version of Office 365 (at least on Android; can't speak to ios). It works fine for me on desktop version, so i'm just printing the plan to pdf and saving on OneDrive to use on my phone while driving.

• Like Like x 2
  22. OpenMinded

Thanks! Yes, the 80 is already on my to-do list. This had to do with my test trains coming off a different track then the trains in timetable mode. The GNT is new.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Cramnor

This is the first GNT Balise that activates the system and enables a speed of 110 for eastbound services.
    20220221184159_1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  24. OpenMinded

Tygerways has just uploaded the latest version 1.06 to his discord server (link above).

Only small stuff needed correction, however, please feel free to report any inconsistencies here or PM one of us.

Mainly speed related stuff (around Tharandt and leaving Chemnitz) and the GNT start after Chemnitz.

Now, I am aware that there are 140kmh GNT speed restrictions missing in the last 10km on eastbound services before Dresden. I did this on purpose at the time, as the stretch this speed would be allowed was so short that I had doubts that this is there in reality. In case more people want this implemented or someone digs up some real world data, I will implement them as well, though.

Also, tygerways has corrected compatibility issues.

Keep the reports coming, please…

EDIT: corrected from v1.05 to v1.06 in my text above

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  25. tygerways#2596

It is version 1.06 now actually,
    since I noticed a bug that caused the time stamps for eastbound RE3 trains with a BR143 loco end in Freital (or Freiberg? I never know, which one it is). Anyway, this should be fixed now.

• Like Like x 3
  26. PBrogaard

PBrogaard Active Member

Thank you both very much. This is the best tool I've experienced so far, I highly recommend it. Thanks again for the time, you have put into it. Top work guys!
    Just a minor thing from one of the first runs with ze Buch, am I wrong thinking the Esign @ 12.4 should be Bsign? (Don't mind the 185 version I typed it in wrong)
    edit, ESig is correct.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  27. breblimator

breblimator Guest

This (EBuLa) is one of the major missing pieces of TSW for me. Now, thanks to the guys, DCZ is almost a complete experience.

• Like Like x 7
  28. OpenMinded

I need to check the ESig topic. To be honest, I suspect that there are some of those signal type errors. We will work them out over time. I’ll check this one later, but I believe this should be the Einfahrsignal for Tharandt.

• Like Like x 2
  29. PBrogaard

PBrogaard Active Member

Indeed, 52B is the Einfahrsignal, my bad :)

30. Lamplight

Heya, just wanted to report back from my first run with a timetable from this tool (a westbound Br 612 RE 3). Absolutely amazing. Usually, I keep the next stop and next speed limit parts of the HUD on as a stand-in for EBuLa, but this time I switched the HUD off completely. Using the Buchfahrplan for upcoming speed restrictions and station stops (+stop timings) was so much more immersive. Thanks to everyone involved in the creation of this tool for enabling this level of immersion on DCZ :)

• Like Like x 8
  31. OpenMinded

Glad to hear. That was our intention:cool:

• Like Like x 3
  32. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

Wow! I just tried this out with an eastbound 612 service with no HUD information at all. Like Lamplight , I typically just keep the next speed limit and signal distance up in the HUD, but I turned all that off. It was just this plan, the lineside signals, and the clock on the dash; what a challenging and excellent experience! Many thanks!

Edit: One quick question: I learned the labels in column 3A as I went, but I never figured out what the squiggly lines on the right side of that column meant.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  33. OpenMinded

The zigzag lines indicate stretches on the track that have an incline (up or down) greater or equal then 1. Double zigzags greater or equal then 2.

IRL they don’t really have an influence on the way you drive your train, but indicate what the driver needs to do in case he needs to secure his train on the free track (in case of break down, special ops etc…). This is also the reason why these lines are not indicated against their true position in km, but always between two distinctive points on your timetable. As long as there are only 50m of the track above those limits, you will find a zigzag line along the whole stretch between two distinctive points on your Buchfahrplan.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  34. Cramnor

I love this so much! Thanks again!
    On a run today, I spotted a couple more things I would like to flag. Service was BR612 RE3 3788 westbound:
    - Hp Freital-Deuben has no km assigned to it (should be around 8,8)
    - ESig at km 12,4 into Tharandt shows a Zs3 with speed limit of 60 - that is not reflected in the list (same applies to ASig at km 13,7)
    - GNT speed increases to 100 at km 23,5 (while non-GNT speed stays 80). At 24,3 speed limit for non-GNT increases to 90, GNT speed stays at 100. (Not sure if that is prototypical, but that's how it is in TSW)
    - I don't know how it is in reality, but the km-change would make more sense (in my opinion) the other way round, i.e. 76,0 - 0,0 and 3,0 - 78,4

Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  35. OpenMinded

Ok, added to the list. May take a couple of days to implement, I am limited on time at the moment. However, I want to add an additional feature with the next release and need to do some test runs for this anyway. Hence, I’ll check the points above. Just some comments.

The Zs3 speeds are not always reflected in the Buchfahrplan, as they do not always correspond to the track speed (signalled speed always takes priority). However, the exit out of Tharandt should be 60. I had an error in that respect on the eastbound service as well, hence, this may be wrong here too.

Well spotted with the GNT speeds. I’ll correct this. Thanks for being so specific with the position reports ;) makes my life a bit easier.

To your last point. Tbh, never spend any thought on this, however, good point. I would not be surprised if there is a rule for that. After all, we are in Germany;)

• Like Like x 2
  36. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I am probably asking for too much. DRA... \o/
    Maybe a fundraiser to compensate for the time and moral losses?
    Of course, not in this forum and not for commercial purposes, but only to help DTG improve their product :D Pure altruism.
    Just thinkin'. BR o7

• Like Like x 2
  37. OpenMinded

Lol! Nice thought, but not needed… it’s fun for us and it should stay that way.

However, if there will be a next “old” route, DRA has good chances, as a lot has already been done there.

• Like Like x 7
  38. OpenMinded

Update is on its way to be released on the Server. New Version will be 1.071.

First point corrected.

Second point only the second halve of it was corrected. It is always difficult creating something like this without proper real world documentation. As I have said before, as it is a signalled speed, it may very well not be there on a real Buchfahrplan either. Nevertheless, the line speed of the IREs, which go past Tharandt, is in fact 90 all the way to the ASig. With our current tech it would have meant to develop a separate Buchfahrplan for the 612 RE3s that stop at Tharandt. Maybe this will change in the future with newer, more flexible tech, however, at the moment it would have meant alot of additional work. And time is what we are limited on:-(

The GNT speed. Interesting I did not spot this earlier. You are right, it is as you said. But also here, I have opted not to incorporate it. The main reason is also time related, as it would mess with some of the meta data, which would need to be corrected. However, I am not sure it is meant that way, anyway. At that point it would not make sense (from topography), to increase GNT speed. The curve ends at 24,3 and you are on a steep incline. I was not able to accelerate past 24.3km anyway, as it is only 800m down the line. I hope you guys are fine with this decision.

The last point did not make it to this update, however, it will be corrected with the next one. I know, it would have been very easy, wouldn't it. Was a pure management issue on my behalf, I simply forgot about it until now:o

Additionally, we have incorporated the ¥ into the Buchfahrplan. This had some priority for us, as it may come in handy for something we are currently working on.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
    • Like Like x 6
  39. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Super-good but... what the symbol means? :D

• Like Like x 1
  40. Cramnor

It basically tells you where the end of a signal imposed speed limit is ("Ende des anschließenden Weichenbereichs") :) And I had that in my mind as well, nice that it will get implemented :)

• Like Like x 3
  41. tygerways#2596

And on the server..

• Like Like x 3
  42. kaosfere

kaosfere New Member

Could we get a new link for this please?

(Also, it's not immediately obvious, but you may not know that you can create a non-expiring invite in Discord. If you know already and you're creating expiring ones intentionally, nevermind. :D)

43. tygerways#2596

• Like Like x 3
  44. kaosfere

kaosfere New Member

Roger! Thanks for the updated invite.

• Like Like x 2
  45. LCYCowboy

LCYCowboy Member

Wow, this is just amazing. I have no words for how good this is!!!!!!

I don't suppose there is any chance for a version for Dresden - Riesa :) (as this is another well down route from DTG which has signals which actually work like they should).

Thanks so much for all your hard work!

• Like Like x 1
  46. OpenMinded

There is something similar already existing for DRA. But it puts the focus more on fright, hence, you will not find an individually generated timetable for each passenger service.

Before we expand the existing network, we want to finish this one first. We are currently trying to add a new feature. Also, available time is holding us back, at the moment. But as I have said above somewhere, never say never:)

• Like Like x 4
  47. roysto25

roysto25 Well-Known Member

"saving on OneDrive to use on my phone while driving"
    Most locations make it illegal to use a phone while driving - using a phone, driving a car and driving a train at the same time takes it to a new level!:)

48. kaosfere

kaosfere New Member

I haven't seen the equivalent for DRA. Do you have the route broken down into mileposts, signals, and limits suitable for populating columns 1-3? This might be something where the community could help out a lot and share the burden. I see having a standard file format encapsulating the linear layout of a route in such a way that a person can pick an unencoded route, drive it, and create a definition for it. We know there's already a large database of timetables thanks to the work that Trenomarcus has done. If they were willing to share those, and we had documented route layouts, one would have all the information needed to create buchfahrpläne on demand.

But I'm just noodling. I'm a data engineer by profession, so I enjoy thinking about solutions for things like this. :D

49. OpenMinded

Yes, this is stated in the original post as well, we are using the data of him. However, the data is currently only available in the form on his website, hence, there is still quite alot of manual work involved. Trenomarcus mentioned that the data may become available in a more convenient form, one day. If that would be the case, also big timetables, like DRA for example, could be imported into this tool.

The DRA timetable, which is available (also on tygerways#2596 discord, btw, file name Vmax-Fright133m_Buchfahrplan_v03.11.xlsm), looks the same as the one for DCZ, however, with a different focus, as mentioned. You may want to read the explanation to this in the thread Riesa-dresden: Tips On Driving Freight Trains Realistically. | Dovetail Games Forums.

Your suggestion with making it possible for everyone to edit this themselves. Very possible that we are getting to this stage at some point. We are constantly trying to make the filling more convenient, also for ourselves;-)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  50. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I made some passenger fahrplans for DRA. Links in google sheets

IC/ICE
    RB31
    RE15
    RE50
    S1
    S2

Do a run with the HUD to verify they are good, I don't want to live with the thought you missed a stop because of me ahaha. Seriously I remember there being one mistake in at least one of them, which for whatever reason I didn't correct. I also think you can modify these yourselves, please feel free to do so.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2