Why Is There No (or Little) Historic German Content?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by jolojonasgames, Feb 19, 2022.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

It’s the same situation for AC 25kv British routes. We only have one route which fits into this category (Glasgow Cathcart Circle) with ZERO AC electric loco offerings for TSW. SEHS and GWE are excluded as they aren’t ‘proper’ AC routes.

For some reason, DTG love to do modern British third rail commuter routes, as well as recycling the Electrostar as many times they can get away with it.

Give us something different, DTG! Getting bored of third rail commuter routes now.

• Like Like x 7
  2. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Interesting. I had no idea that a db br 442 and a db br 423, and DB BR 422 are the so similar that they offer no real variety despite looking different and having different driving characteristics and sounding different as well.

I guess the ICE 3 is the same as a DB BR 146 then?

3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Toss in the 425. It takes a special level of geekery to regard those as meaningfully different- rather like sheep fanciers can tell one breed from another, but nobody else cares. I can only tell them apart because my 422s are painted VVRR green.

4. tallboy7648

Yeh most of the recent British route releases seem to be in southern England. Perhaps we will get more routes in the north of england in the future.

But on the topic of recycled trains, there are routes that run the same train that you would find in a different route. That's just how it is. London Commuter was a highly anticipated route but that route has electrostars. Southeastern high speed has electrostars along with east coastway. I bet there is someone who would love to see a C2C route and they run class 387s as well.

Routes in the south of England seem to be popular anyways. Wasn't London Waterloo to Portsmouth Harbor a popular route in Train Simulator for example? Southeastern high speed was the most played route last year although in fairness most British routes dtg have made have been in the southern england

5. tallboy7648

The DB BR 422s have a curved front end compared to the 423 which has a flatter front end. Not hard to spot the difference.

My post was just sarcasm though. Just because we have seen the same german emu's time and time again doesn't mean they are exactly the same. A 442 and a 423 for example are completely different trains. A 425 and a 423 are different as well and are not the British equivalent of electrostars. Sure they aren't a DB BR 111 or a 363 but that doesn't mean every german train in the game is exactly the same.

I think the problem is that DTG just keep recycling the same trains over and over again. Even I get tired of seeing a dostos. There are other modern German trains that offer different driving experiences and other modern German trains that run on different routes so I think it would be good for DTG to incorporate different trains into new german routes in the future to give players something new to play with. The 612 was certainly a welcome breath of air in my opinion

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
  6. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Rhein-Ruhr Osten Tharandter Rampe Hauptstrecke rhein ruhr have a DB BR1440 base version Hauptstrecke München-Augsburg DB BR440.
    To prevent these from being reused DTG should consider adding in Deutsche reichsbahn ddr EMU DR BR280 DMU Deutsche Reichsbahn DDR DR BR175. At the same time, you might need to find the west German equivalent to those East German designs DR BR175 = DB BR601. Both have flying Hamburg DMUs. What will happen if you have a historic East German Deutsche Reichsbahn DDR route with present-day German routes is that they'll run rail tours. In Some cases a timetable Intercity service using Städteexpress Orange and Beige coach Rekowagen Restaurant car max speed 120 kmh 75 mph. Since most of the 160 kmh (100 mph) routes are in West Germany post-war. DR BR280 EMU = HMA Rhein-Main DB BR420

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  7. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

They’re different enough functionally, 425 being for regio services, the 423 being abit rough round the edges in terms of performance and the 422 being a more refined version of the 423.

There are worse offenders in TSW for repetitive stock, but overall we definitely need to see less of these cases of repetition, because every country just feels like it’s getting the same units over and over.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

DTG have tried multiple times to do historic German content, and if it sold well they'd do more of it. They've only made two German steam locos since the release of Rail Simulator, and that speaks volumes.

• Like Like x 1
  9. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I was being somewhat tongue in cheek, but sound wise I honestly can't say I notice much difference and yes the 423 has worse brakes than a knackered pushbike but they are all pretty similar and uninspiring to drive. As I said, looking forward to the 420 assuming it isn't vapourware. The version in TS was pretty good, especially the sounds which reminded me of the old BR Class 310 and 312 EMU's.

10. TrainsAreBest

TrainsAreBest Active Member

I don't get the "There's no demand for historic German stuff" logic. Germany has an active preservation/heritage sector and the model railway manufacturers seem to have no difficulty selling models of historic subjects. If there's demand for those I would expect cross over into railway simulators too.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

So anything pre-2000 is historical? well that's interesting, I guess it just makes me feel old!

I remember thinking forward to 1992 when the Chunnel was being built and any date in the 1990s felt scifi-esque. We've recently been through several dates that were set in the future in Back to the Future movies from the 1980s. And guess what in the 1980s we thought that we would be living in Jetson's style world by now. But we aren't. There are small differences but largely just tweaks, trains still look similar and have similar types, just a bit more shapely in places. And fewer diesels ;)

But you are right, you can't be always in the modern era, the dates for that have to keep moving else it is no longer moden and it is 23 years since we were pre-2000.

12. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I guess you could consider anything pre-2022 as "historical", depending on how you want to define "historical". But lets not forget that 2000 was already 22 years ago. Although not as historical as the 1900s, I bet a few things changed over those past 22 years. :P

13. raretrack

raretrack Well-Known Member

Perhaps it's because they're based in Kent, so have an inbuilt Southern bias?

Strange how in TSW2 we can't get a mainline diesel loco in Germany for love nor money (only electrics), but the UK is the exact opposite (all diesel, no electric)!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Although UK is better off than Germany in terms of variety, there's still some gaps in UK content. There's barely any overhead catenery-powered electrics (aside from the Class 395, which runs only half a route), and there are no historic electrics. As for diesel power, historic stuff there's plenty, and there's a number of DMUs which are reasonably modern (I'd count the HST as 'reasonably modern', but I guess others would consider it 'reasonably historic', aside form the fact it's officially not a MU but plays like one). And well, for modern freight, all we have is the massively underutilized Class 66, as all the modern UK routes seem to focus on passenger traffic primarily.

• Like Like x 1
  15. OldVern

Class 56 and 60 are what I would consider “modern historic” and none seem to be on the horizon, same with the Class 59 though a bit too similar to the 66 except the lower gearing gives it a bit more “grunt”. Sprinter DMUs I would also regard as modern historic, though again apart from the woeful Rivet 150/2, no attempt has been made at any other variant. We also need a selection of first gen DMUs though realistically probably limited to those classes where examples still exist such as the 108 and 117.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

I would like some good old rusty diesel stuff as well

17. Schuppenheizer

Schuppenheizer Member

We actually have some old german locos...ok, with some modernizations. Br 155, 143, 363, 204. We need a route wagons and other liveries.
    But for me the big problem is the horrible BR204. Please, do something. In TS classic it's one of the best. Or develop a BR 202 in a better way in TSW. It's one of the most important locomotives in GDR, but so we can't use this addon BR 204

18. OldVern

One of my favourite locos in Zusi 2 was the 212, followed by the 216 heading along the Obereruhrtalbahn.

19. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The boundary, sure, is always going to be an arbitrary one; but there is in the case of Germany a ready-made one: 1994 and the merger of DBB and DR into DBAG.

20. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Yes, that does make sense as a cut-off date. However, I've always felt like the years immediately after that (basically between the merger of 1994 (the first stage of the 'bahnreform') and the second stage of the 'bahnreform' in 1999 that saw DB split up into DB Cargo, DB Fernverkehr and DB Regio, aswell as other companies like DB Netze) are most interesting, because back then all ex-DBB and ex-DR rolling stock existed in one pool. Due the DB still being one company there was a lot more interoperability of locos, and BR 120's and BR 143's in freight were more common aswell as the derivatives of the E10 (the BR 115 could be seen hauling freight from time to time), while BR 155's and 151's could ocassionally be seen hauling passenger services. That little window between 1994 and 1999 is something that still feels historical (to me at least) because the Bahnreform hadn't been completed yet. That's why I list 1999/2000 as cut-off for what is historical, because DB as the company (or rather collection of companies) we know didn't really exist before 2000.

But I agree with you that the 1994 bahnreform is a clear cut-off point, I just feel like the end of the bahnreform in 1999 is a more fitting cut-off rather than it's start in 1994.

21. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Good point and regarding the DB BR155 it was designed by the DR as a mixed traffic locomotive for freight and Städteexpress Orange and Beige coaches including Interzone trains. here's an accident involving DB BR155

22. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

Two wonderful locos. There is a criminally lack of shunters in TSW2, in my opinion. We already got the 363 that sits around some newer releases, and the Class 8 in all the historic english routes, but no american shunter in newer content, and the 204 is sadly underused.

• Like Like x 1
  23. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

the G6 also exist however its for RRO and can sub into DCZ

• Like Like x 1