The Best Dlc On Steam

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kenobi#1878, Feb 20, 2022.

1. kenobi#1878

kenobi#1878 Well-Known Member

I’ve been wondering, what’s the best TS20XX DLC on steam, so I’ve come up with a criteria that determines the best add-on. It consists of 3 main Sections:
    Value for money
    Usability
    And overall experience.
    An example of a bad add on would be Bristol - Exeter.
    It has 0 new trains and has been replaced by newer routes multiple times, and is still £20 (when I bought it, it was. It may have gone down in price now.)
    It doesn’t have huge amounts of usability as it only features 1 mainline (I think)
    And the overall experience isn’t great as it quite and old route.

An example of a good add on is WCML north.
    It has 100+ miles of track, comes with the European And US Asset packs, and is frequently £5.99 on sale.
    It features a lot of usability, with a multitude of loco addons to improve it and has a merge somewhere which links it with WCML over shap, and EG using the freeware extension to carstairs.
    The overall experience is good, even though the route is old. It’s still an enjoyable route to drive.

What do you think he best DLC is and why?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Probably the Battle for Sherman Hill Collection, lots of DLC for less than a new route price. Maybe the rolling stock is aging, but the route itself is very detailed and a must have if you like US freight routes. The GP40 included in the pack is maybe the best loco DTG has done.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jklimentowski

jklimentowski Active Member

Well with these criteria I would bet on:

- Frankfurt - Koblenz - amazing 80 miles of highly detailed and varied route, from Main Frankfurt, via airport and then along Rhine countryside with two other quite large cities on the way (Mainz and Koblenz). Amazing BR 429 FLIRT which plays as it was a separate payware add-on itself. Apart from that 5 other older trains included. Unfortunately the price tag is high and there are some minor signaling errors, but we get a lot of value for that money. The experience is among the best for European region. We can drive stopping commuters, high speed trains (although at 160 km/h max) and also cargo stuff. There are a lot of interesting places, multiple junctions, some tunnels and bridges. We can chose between IC and suburban stations at the airport or avoid it completely running a cargo train. We can even shunt. All of that included in the box. On the downside - only 7 scenarios. We can also extend our experience with connecting routes like Koblenz - Koeln, Koblenz - Trier, Koeln - Duesseldorf and Frankfurt High Speed.

As the route is included in TS2022 we can get it along with a lot of other stuff in the pack rather than buying it separately.

• Like Like x 2
  4. IronBladder

IronBladder Well-Known Member

Nothing beats the Im Köblitzer Bergland route for quality of scenery modelling or variety of driving.

It has a huge number of custom assets and these are masterfully deployed to give the most visually satisfying and realistic modelling possible in TS2022. It also has high speed, main line, regional/branch line and heritage line running - yes all in one route!

It's an invented route (but based in a western German setting) - which isn't to everyone's tastes - but this does mean that there is nothing boring on it. Around every corner is a new feature or scenery cameo. It even has a fully modelled abandoned track that you can only move along with the world camera, as the track has been lifted and you can't drive a train on it!

Here's a Steam review that says more eloquently than I can why it sits at the very pinnacle of TS2022 routes.

"Don't be put off by the fictional nature of this route -- this is one of the absolute masterpieces of route-building in TS.

The trackwork and signalling are good and accurate. You can drive without the HUD if you want and know the German signalling systems. If the loco you're driving supports it, the route has working neutral sections as well.

The scenarios are varied, show off the whole route well, and have details like working train announcement displays on the platforms.

The attention to detail in this route simply has no equal in TS. Only a few routes even come close. The buildings, the foliage, clutter, graffiti, people, all very lifelike. Unique little details are everywhere.

This gives the route a great atmosphere and immersion-factor.

The route just breezes the atmosphere of West Germany in the late '90s.

A masterpiece, a labour of love.

If you buy only one German route for TS, buy this one."​

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

I'm a massive fan of the AP Wherry Lines route (which is not only steam but on their website, if you want all the scenarios for it get it from their website but it will cost more money based on dependencies).
    It's beautiful, I love one track peaceful routes (Should be noted that it's not all one track, there is a short 2 track section out of Norwich that then splits into the two one track lines) that go through country side. It's a 44 mile route so it isn't boringly long but not too short either. You also get a lot of scenarios (20 Scenarios!). It comes with 2 locomotives, the Class 170 in a couple liveries and a beautiful Class 37 and the Class 37 and 170 aren't made by DTG, they are new trains created by the developers of the route. They have very realistic sounds and visual detail. Also something for route builders would be the fabulous semaphore signals that come with it. They even have sound effects for when they change their signal aspect, and they are amazingly detailed. I could go on and on about how great this route is and even at full price it's worth it! Overall, amazing rolling stock, beautiful, atmospheric and immersive scenery as well as so much attention to detail.

If you want a much better look at this route than I could describe, then watch the video that the developers made on it.

Note: Video states that you need things like Settle for Carlisle for the route to work, if you buy it off steam, you don't need to buy anything extra to get it to work!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  6. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Damn. Naming one is a difficult thing...

Old but gold, for me Stevens Pass is the perfect DLC.

A great variety of different locations, fast tracks, slow mountain climbs offering gorgeous sights, well balanced scenarios including the four part standard scenario introducing you to the whole route in great detail - very high replay value.

7. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Agreed so am I the route is amazing, and have found some workshop content that makes good use of this route.

8. sphexi

sphexi Active Member

A third vote for Stevens Pass. After having to wait so long to get it, it is still excellent all these years later.

The scenery still holds, the defect detectors with audio, the wide body loads, and all the scenarios are top notch...

9. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

Sounds like I should certainly play Stevens Pass then, I've had it since 2014 but I have never touched it.

10. sphexi

sphexi Active Member

Start with the 5-part Standard Scenario that takes you the length of the route...it is very informative and enjoyable.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Another vote for Stevens then, even thought I voted for Battle for Sherman Hill, Stevens is a gorgeous route too and now available worldwide.

12. TimeSlicedDanny

TimeSlicedDanny Active Member

I guess you guys recommending Stevens Pass haven't got Koblitzer Bergland.

IronBladder is right. Once you've tried Koblitzer you'll downgrade Stevens to average.

13. hayward.john48

hayward.john48 Well-Known Member

My vote is for Koblitzer Bergland especially in its latest version with the “abandoned” lines reinstated complete with industries and stations.

14. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I believe the IKB on Steam had a bugged scenario where the loco is facing the wrong way at the start
    It has been mentioned a number of times on these forums

15. hayward.john48

hayward.john48 Well-Known Member

Yes in the earliest incarnation the BR294 on the coal to Power station scenario was the wrong way round, easily rectified. It is a totally different beast based on and much extended original.

16. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

That Koeblitz scenario can be fixed without breaking career MD5 checksum. Unserz its scenario.bin, find the player engine and change <Flipped>0 to 1, and the two <Direction> entries from "forwards" to "backwards".

17. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Just a comment, there is a large amount of custom scenarios and even scenario packs written for the old Bristol to Exeter. If you don't play others' scenarios, it doesn't have that value. The big problem I see is that the price is still way too high even for sales, but for certain freeware, you have to have that route's assets. Not an option. So it's become that little lynchpin that you want to get rid of, but unfortunately you have to get. Why does it cost so much, even on sale? Both asset packs are bundled. Big deal. They come with multiple items, and even the 2022 bundle includes the Euro pack this year. Why won't they reduce the price? JT complains they don't get a lot from it. GEE, I WONDER WHY.

18. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

I've taken a look at Koblitzer Bergland and it looks very interesting. I love routes like that, I'll probably buy it during a sale and play it.

19. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Naming the "best" DLC does not mean others are worth less. While I found Stevens Pass to be flawless, I do enjoy Koeblitz of course, and I'd call it a masterpiece too.

And I recently set up a free roam on a nice "2. Cloudy" summer's afternoon driving my Black 5 from Stranraer to Carlisle, and decided West of Scotland - Port Road is my fav too. What a lovely route that is. I'm glad I don't have to stick to one DLC:cool:

Travelling to Scotland is still on my to-do list, as is Canada.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2022
  20. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

You are definitely right. My absolute favourite may be the Wherry Lines but it doesn't mean I hate other DLC.

21. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I have this route in my ‘to buy next’, as it is a requirement for some of the freeware routes. 35% off in last sale.

22. Cyclone

It shows up on a lot of Dutch routes, maybe some German ones too. It's more annoying when the route is a payware route. Get the rights to the assets and pay the dev of those assets, don't force people to buy other routes before even buying yours. I'll just buy the others and stop there. But freeware doesn't have that issue.

23. TimeSlicedDanny

TimeSlicedDanny Active Member

Eh? Koblitzer doesn't have any dependencies. Do you mean other routes?

24. Cyclone

Yes, other routes.

25. ex_railwayman

ex_railwayman Active Member

It's impossible to give a retrospect answer to the OP's question, as we all have different tastes and play the game differently. I don't do the Career and whatever scenarios as I have no interest in obtaining points, etc. I enjoy routes for their design and construction, the attention to detail, trackside clutter, ground texturing and the amount of vegetation on the tracks as well as lineside and each location that reflects the local rural landscapes and industrial and commercial areas, etc. My favourite British routes are the older ones, Woodhead, Nottingham:Netherfield, WesternLinesofScotland:The Port Road, Weardale & Teesdale, etc, etc. I also enjoy many of the 3rd party offerings on Steam, particularly the German ones, Konstanz-Villingen-Hausach, Munster to Bremen, Im Köblitzer Bergland, Berlin to Leipzig, etc. It all depends on the amount of time and effort that has been put into a layout, generally speaking much of the DTG route DLC is the same price on Steam which reflects the amount of time and assets placed accrued in developing it, I always enjoy adding extra bits to all the routes I purchase, road vehicles, trees and shrubs, trackside clutter, and so forth, it makes the routes look more authentic aesthetically.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
  26. UP13

UP13 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say it's the best DLC ever but in regards to the value for money and standing the test of time I would say Riveria Line in the 1950s. A steam era route, including yards, comes with five different locomotives in range of liveries and both BR and GWR era carriages in a variety of liveries and a range of freight stock.

It is the only UK DLC I can think of that you can be really immersed in and not feel like you at least need another DLC for AI purposes.

27. trev123

trev123 Active Member

Smokebox Big Boy.

28. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

This is an interesting discussion / review / focus thread.

I think there is no such thing as "best" DLC.
    For me the best thing about TS is its ability to showcase the versatility of the world, each area with its own operational challenges and solutions.
    After careful consideration, among those I played it's Koblenz-Trier, but specifically is it? Doesn't feel like it.

After several years of playing, the best route
    • should be electrified so that you can play any train, but without all the poles and lines disturbing photographs (also AA + performance)
    • should neither be too flat nor have too heavy grades
    • should neither be straight nor have too sharp bends
    • should come with a versatility of rolling stock, but not the original Rail Simulator trains or anything else overused yet again
    • should support a range of speeds, possibly across sections or multiple mainline tracks
    • should have many yards and industries
    • should have a few branches, ideally with exchange yards
    • should have nice but not overly demanding graphics
    • should have beautiful, interesting and realistic scenery
    • should support stopping and fast services
    • should have trains which have a lot of options but also support casual play
    This ruleset is fantastic because it disqualifies 99% of the routes. I was thinking about five before Koblenz-Trier but remembered the reviews about them being terrible.
    Ultimately, the best DLC is different from what I played and doesn't have terribly annoying bugs. I love a lot of routes once a year.

• Like Like x 1
  29. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

There are a lot of very good routes that you would disqualify because they don't meet your standards,
    And you seem to be looking at the US practice which is different to most other countries.
    A lot of routes have Steep Gradients and Straight Track - which you would dismiss as wrong even though it is correct.

You might be best finding a fictional route so you could include all these un prototypical features.

30. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

You are correct :) there is no such thing as perfect.
    It was a cheeky post for sure. It's kind of a checklist based on what I heard people say. And the irony in that. And what you said... people dismiss routes for funny reasons.
    And I do enjoy TS and most of its routes. If you follow the screenshot threads, you might be aware, I'm active :)
    I do think Koblenz-Trier is pretty good but I really meant the very last line of my post. Looking forward to the Kawasaki M8 experience, driving the outskirts of a big city. An alternative take on North London I guess. Will be interesting to compare.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
  31. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Is that something new for TS22?
    I seem to remember something like that on NY-NH?

32. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  33. vogelm10

vogelm10 Well-Known Member

BNSF Racetrack is awesome!

34. Cyclone

G-Trax is considered to have done a good job on a lot of their content, and even made freeware out of two routes that had to be removed from sale (Portland Terminal became Maine Maritime, while Bessemer became Pennsylvania Steam I believe). Those freeware are on RWA. In the payware category, you might also look up Stevens Pass.