Arun Valley Line - Southern 377s, 313s

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by cloudyskies21, May 26, 2021.

1. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

Good evening all.

I would like to suggest a new route, the Arun Valley Line which I'll explain about below.

Route and stations:
    - Three Bridges (services originate from London Victoria by Southern and Peterborough from Thameslink which diverge off the Brighton Main Line at Three Bridges)
    - Crawley
    - Ifield
    - Faygate
    (least used station in West Sussex I believe)
    - Littlehaven
    - Horsham
    (trains divide here, explained below; also terminus for Mole Valley Line Southern services from Victoria via Dorking - AI traffic opportunity)
    - Christ's Hospital
    - Billingshurst
    - Pulborough
    - Amberley
    - Arundel
    - Ford
    - Barnham
    - Bognor Regis
    (terminus)
    - EXTRA - Littlehampton (a one-station branch line that turns off near Ford)

Length: 37 miles (60km) between Three Bridges and Bognor Regis, plus a further two miles if the branch to Littlehampton is included.

Rolling stock: Southern Class 377/1s and 4s - these operate as 4, 8 and 12-car formations between Three Bridges and Horsham. At the latter they split with the front 4 coaches heading onward to either Portsmouth or Southampton. The remaining 4/8 head to Bognor Regis.

Southern Class 313
    - operate on the West Coastway Line from Brighton and stop at Ford, Barnham, Bognor Regis, plus Littlehampton.

Thameslink Class 700 - While DTG yet have the licence, these, if they later did, would be driveable between Three Bridges and Horsham.

Service Pattern: While I won't go into specifics, basically, as mentioned above, when the 377s split, the section that goes to Portsmouth or Southampton goes fast to Barnham while the Bognor section stops at all stations mentioned above. This provides a nice variety of fast/slow services.

Places of interest: The scenery, especially when you get nearer to the coast is similar to East Coastway, but perhaps one of the most stunning views from the Arun Valley Line is Arundel Castle. This would provide beautiful scenery to admire when driving past.

Route link-ups: As explained, it diverges from the Brighton Main Line at Three Bridges (thus fitting nicely with the upcoming Rush Hour route), and meets the West Coastway Line down at Ford (I highly expect DTG will create West Coastway soon as the rolling stock and Brighton is created).

Before anyone moans that this is another SE England third-rail route, hear me out. With the rolling stock and some stations already created, it seems likely this will be a realistic choice for them to create Arun Valley. Also, I think most agree that East Coastway is one of the best-made routes, so there is a good chance this might be too!

Thanks, would like people's thoughts.

• Like Like x 9
  2. British Ace

British Ace Member

Would love to see the Arun Valley Line included!

• Like Like x 1
  3. bradders059

bradders059 New Member

Sounds like a solid route I don’t know this one well but I defiantly like the sound of it! Has good rollingstock oppertuinty and it’s the perfect length route

• Like Like x 1
  4. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Best Value is having this sold as the Southern railway Pack comprised of BML ECW and Arun Valley Line followed by West Coastway line.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jcalmann

jcalmann Member

That's a great idea for a route! I completely forgot about this route. It is quite picturesque too. This will be a great addition, and like you've mentioned, all the rolling stock needed for this route has already been released

• Like Like x 1
  6. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

It's nice to see others share enthusiasm for the suggestion, thanks!

Absolutely, here are some pics of the route during my travels last year:

A Class 377 just south of Horsham heading north towards London as seen from a pedestrian footbridge.
    IMG_20211109_133253.jpg

A picturesque Pulborough as a pair of 377s depart northward up the Arun Valley Line.
    IMG_20211127_121914.jpg

Horsham Station.
    IMG_20211109_105343.jpg

Horsham is the terminus for Thameslink services from Peterborough.
    IMG_20211106_101148.jpg

Littlehampton on the West Coastway would provide those with the 313 DLC extra, short services to Bognor Regis.
    IMG_20210724_180458.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  7. British Ace

British Ace Member

I know that pedestrian crossing, many walks have been had up those hills :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. bob123

bob123 Member

i would like to see this but i think in a while as i think we should get some of the north in modern times instead of another southern route