What Banned Word Am I Using

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by AdamsApple, Feb 25, 2022.

1. AdamsApple

AdamsApple New Member

upload_2022-2-24_21-11-18.png
    I tried uploading this scenario multiple times and it keeps getting taken down. I changed the description to avoid using any brand names and still, I'm having this issue. Does anyone know what word(s) I am using that is banned?

2. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I'm gonna guess it's a copyright strike from DB. I don't think anything related to their trademarked ICE trains is allowed.

• Like Like x 4
  3. AdamsApple

AdamsApple New Member

It worked thank you!

4. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Try using DB BR406 DB BR403 that is the Baureihe designations for ICE3 and ICE3M DB BR406 also refers to the LGV Méditerranée capable ICE3MF.

5. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

I also had a Problem with inappropriate language, Can it be that the words Amtrak, Boston and Providence are somehow not okay?
    I mean come on, you have to write a scenario description without using the words class or passenger, and it doesnt even tell you which word in your maybe longer description is not okay!
    So some of my descriptions were just cut down to ,, a local train from B. to P. "

• Like Like x 2
  6. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Amtrak is disallowed. Boston and Providence shouldn't be, but I haven't tested it personally.

Cheers

7. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

How is the excursion from Penistone to Scunthorpe getting on… ? :love:

• Like Like x 16
  8. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Oh please don't say they've used the same system as the planner does.

From a previous thread on the issue,

9. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

I dont know if its the same, but some of my descriptions which didnt contain companys were taken down too.
    The thing i dislike about it the most is that it doesnt tell you whats the problem, just that there is one.

• Like Like x 2
  10. atomicdanny

atomicdanny Staff Member

• Like Like x 4
  11. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

However, "intercity" and "express" are just words. I mean, could DB really copyright "intercity express"? (Note the difference in capital characters compared to "InterCity Express", which would refer to a name, rather than words).

I'd help if 'copyright' wasn't combined within the same category as "profanity" and "offesnive content". DTG Natster anything you can do to split up those categories, so at least it'd be more clear why content has been blocked?

12. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

We are looking at ways of improving how you get feedback once something has been removed.

AdamsApple As you created a scenario I'm unsure why it would have been removed. Please can you try submitting it again and let me know once it's live. That way if there is anything wrong with it I can help you to resolve whatever the issue is.

If it's a livery you uploaded that was removed, chances are that will have been for a licencing reason.

13. Clumsy Pacer

It would probably be best if you re-upload it with a generic name and description (e.g. name it "test" and set the description to "description" or "this is a test") - that'll at least confirm if it's picking up something in the title/description or if it's an issue with the fact it's an ICE.

14. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Yes. (Although, technically, it's trademark not copyright)

15. AdamsApple

AdamsApple New Member

It is only a scenario, not a livery I tried last night it seemed it worked fine and it got taken down this morning.

I tried again with this new title let's see if this works. It's very generic other than the city names.
    upload_2022-2-25_13-12-48.png

16. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Just to help Nat, the problem is the filter talk to Matt then of course we will wait for 6 months? For a fix.

17. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Didn't British Rail use the same name for its trains back in the day?

18. solicitr

They simply used "Intercity" (125, 225), not "InterCity Express." Maybe that's why DB doesn't claim TM in the first word alone.

19. giogurto_grande

giogurto_grande Active Member

I wonder, perhaps using "new" and "order" simultaneously could be a no-no?

20. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Yeah, sure, lets ban all the words because using "high" and "speed" simultaneously could be a no-no either...

• Like Like x 2
  21. giogurto_grande

giogurto_grande Active Member

I'm just trying to help AdamsApple find the cause of his submission being rejected. Profanity filters can be overly sensitive to some words and expressions.

Edit:
    Somehow I missed the part of the thread where OP said the problem was solved and that's why I looked for anything suspicious in the scenario description.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2022
  22. Clumsy Pacer

The profanity filter on the sceanrio planner at least isn't quite that sensitive. It just checks strings of letters in a row.

23. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

It must have something to do with the word "InterCity". Because today I discovered that a scenario of mine, called: "Intercity 2", has also been withdrawn from CC, provided with the same warning message. But as I updated the name into IC2 "Dresden-Riesa", it was officially back again. I assume that there was some protest from DB or other rail companies, which didn't allow to use the word Intercity license free. So the admins had to ban the word to the index and everyone who uses it in the mod description will be automatically warned.

Better to use the abbreviation IC instead of the full word Intercity, then uploading should be fine!

24. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

How can they trademark a word like "intercity"? That's just regular English the word to indicate a connection between cities, isn't it?

DTG Natster could you clarify on this, before we develop all kind of conspiracy theories? :P

• Like Like x 1
  25. grob-e

grob-e Well-Known Member

It's somehow riddled, why scenarios get banned...for example I got a ban for this one...

Banned.JPG

And I still can't figure out, what's the offending in it.

• Like Like x 2
  26. solicitr

A business can trademark just about any word or phrase, if it uses it in commerce to market its goods or services. "You deserve a break today," "It's the real thing," "The king of beers" and on and on and on. There are as many out there as there are ad campaigns.
    On the flip side, a trademark only prevents others from using it to market their own goods and services; if it isn't used in commerce, then there is no trademark protection.

(NB: How it is used and in connection to what commerce makes a difference as well. There was no conflict between Apple Corps (the Beatles' business entity) and Apple Computer- until the latter launched iTunes, which meant now that they were using "Apple" in connection with commerce in recorded music. Lawyers ensued.)

The catch here is not that DB has the legal right to ban the use of "InterCity" in the titles of free uploads to gaming sites, but, rather, that DB has a licensing agreement with DTG which is very valuable to the latter, and that puts DB in a position to place conditions on DTG.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  27. dhekelian

In other words it is DTG's overuse of the profanity filter and there is no need for it imo. I have used these filters many times on forums and just banning the worst swear words is enough. To me it looks like DTG wants to create a problem where there isn't one.

28. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

We worked quite hard on this, so hopefully the 'Scunthorpe Problem', isn't a problem any more :)

• Like Like x 2
  29. matt0d

matt0d Member

Alright, here's a new one for you guys - can anyone spot what is wrong here:

S-363 to Köln

A storm overnight has caused a power outage on the S-Bahn lines from Köln to Düren. Most traffic has been diverted on to the high speed lines, however there are many people stuck at intermediate stations who require the S-Bahn services to commute to work.

While our engineers work to fix the problem you are needed to run a morning S-19 service using a DB BR 363 and dostos that have come from the depot at Aachen (all of the 423 stock is current stuck) until you reach Köln Hbf, where power has been restored. You will see traffic along the high speed lines and another 363 that has been used to provide the same service in the oppoisite direction.

This is a challenging run, best done in heavy rain or snow for extra difficulty.

SETUP:
    1. You will first need to walk to the rear locomotive (146.2) and insert the reverser handle, putting the locomotive in neutral. This will allow the guard to control the doors from this locomotive on your command (U or Y keys)
    2. Cut-out the driver's brake on the rear locomotive using the button located on the back of the cab - it should glow white
    3. At your arrival at Köln make sure to uncouple the 363 before closing the doors

Liveries:
    - To couple the 363 to them, I have used the dostos from DRA. If you would like to have the realistic Regio branded dostos that can be found on SKA and not the VVO authority ones then please subscribe to my DB Regio repaints of the DRA dostos (780 and 766).

This is the result that I get:​

upload_2022-2-27_10-30-53.png

I has thought that it might be something like the use of DB Regio, but that worked fine for my reskin mods and it hasn't flagged it as copyright here - just 'profane'

30. Clumsy Pacer

It's probably picking up "loco" in "locomotive", assuming it's using the same system as the scenario designer.

31. matt0d

matt0d Member

I've tried removing all 'locomotive' words and still no joy - it would be great if they woudl at least tell us where we were 'being profane'

32. matt0d

matt0d Member

Okay, we apparently it didn't like the hyphen in the title for anyone in the futute S-363 was banned but S363 and S 363 worked okay

Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  33. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Gosh, I never knew "-" was considerd profanity...

• Like Like x 1
  34. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

I got banned on Discord for over-egging that pudding!

I'm pleased that Shetland didn't have a railway...:o

Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  35. gogglesguy

gogglesguy Well-Known Member

Soon this will be the new popular wordle challenge replacement.

• Like Like x 1
  36. dhekelian

Some people like power it seems :|

37. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I never really understood these kinds of filters. People who want to use profanity can easily find ways to work around the filter, and it blocks out too many innocent messages. Once people start to misbehaving they can easily be restricted on a per-user basis.

I wonder if we'd really see an increase in profanity if all the automated filters would be removed.

• Like Like x 1
  38. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Perhaps it has an "innuendo" filter too.

39. dhekelian

Probably has but then 'innuendo' is a bit of humour, if you get offended by that we are all on a slippery slope no? From my limited experience only the real offensive words needed to be censored, everything was left alone and in the main there was no problem. The forum was mixed but mainly adults and older teens but there were a few kids.

40. solicitr

Sounds like a load of yarbles to me.

41. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Till this post I never understood why I was not allowed to use the word passenger in a scenario. Now I do. This really is horrible. DTG please fix this. Maybe the best is to rely on people reporting inappropriate content. Soon we ned to discuss cylinder cocks, which definitely will be forbidden.

42. Clumsy Pacer

I've often heard of them simply referred to as 'cylinders' ;)

But yeah, it's way over sensitive.

43. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Not sure if I'm missing the joke, but cylinders and cylinder cocks are two different things.

44. Clumsy Pacer

Yes - I misremembered, I think it's drains.

45. solicitr

Not to mention hooking up the air hoses with anglecocks. Oh, and with steam we will get lots of brass....

46. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

We've done quite a lot of work on the CC filtering system so the 'Scunthorpe Problem' isn't a thing.

You can enjoy using words such as...
    - Cockfosters
    - Passengers
    - Class
    - Penistone

...on there, without it tripping the system. This logic needs to be inputted into Livery Designer/Scenario Planner (as we use an external tool for the logic), but it's something on the DTL team's list.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  47. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Don 't keep it on the list. It is not a new issue, just do it. We experience this since scenario planner exists.

• Like Like x 2
  48. dhekelian

If you had just filtered a few words then that was all that was needed. For the size of the player base an OTT filter like this is not needed at all. What a waste of time, you could even use moderators but no you have to let the creators get frustrated, well done DTG!