Proper Light Setting On Us/canadian Trains

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by pterocles#7018, Feb 26, 2022.

1. pterocles#7018

pterocles#7018 Active Member

Hi, just struggling to figure out the proper setting for lights on US/Canadian locos.
    Ditch light, Head light Dim -Med - Bright.
    How to set them correctly?

2. Nozomi329

Nozomi329 Member

The only things I know for sure are:
    1. Headlights on both ends should be set to dim when shunting in yards
    2. Ditch lights should be turned on pretty much during any normal running (There's a rule from FRA require that every train passing through RR crossings at above 20mph or so should have ditch lights)
    Something that's probably true but I don't know the specific rule:
    Lights are normally set to dim when the train is stopped and only turned to bright when you're about to depart.
    Lights should be dimmed for opposite traffic.

3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Front headlight, bright (24 hrs, not just at night). Rear headlight (if a loco is at the rear of the consist), dim. Ditch lights on at all times EXCEPT in yards, where they're prohibited. Number plates on the occupied loco, only. Step and crossing lights to taste, must be on at night, usually turned off in daytime.

• Like Like x 5
  4. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I believe in the Canadian ones green is a scheduled service and white an out of ordinary one

5. solicitr

(Some?) Canadian locos still have classification lights, but I don't know if they're used any more. They're relics from the era of manual signal boxes, when a live human at an interlocking had to "check off" passing trains.

Back when they were a thing, standard scheduled trains displayed none, just illuminated number boards. "Extras" displayed white. Green was an indication that the "train" comprised more than one consist, and there was one or more parts of the "train" following. Red was used as taillights, if the loco was in back.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. pterocles#7018

pterocles#7018 Active Member

Thanks . Let me continue with the American freight topic.

What are those two radio like thing, and what is that air flow meter used for?
    Ok, I have a guess that the bottom one is used when there is loco on the back of train.
    No clue for the other two.

upload_2022-2-27_22-50-30.png

P.S.: is there a proper pdf available about the different aspects along Canadian route?
    The manual seems a bit useless (or it is me). When is says proceed whit MAS 25 (diverging speed) through junction and the actual limit is 15 miles/hour, I am not sure I understand the system.

7. solicitr

The lower radio box is just that, the radio. In TSW its only function is the ability to turn on "Banking comms" an abstraction for coordination with helper engines at the back of the train. Not needed in OSD, since the trains are pretty short.

The upper one, with the red numbers, is your EOTD (End of Train Device) readout. This tells you what the other end of the train is doing, and it can be useful: Acceleration/deceleration, and brake pipe pressure. (Sadly the train length function doesn't work)

The airflow meter tells you (in cubic feet per minute) how much air is flowing through the brake pipe. Ideally you want 0: everything fully charged. A high flow rate means the system is trying to charge. Use in conjunction with the EOTD brake pipe pressure to see when your rear cars have released brakes, and when the system is fully ready (again, not all that relevant on OSD with its flat grades and short trains)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  8. solicitr

Canadian Rail Operating Rules Signal Rules

Note that whenever there is a conflict, the lower speed applies.