I Think Creators Club Is...

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by trainsimplayer, Jan 23, 2022.

?
  1. Looking Good.

49.6%
  2. I'll use it if something of interest is on it...

30.5%
  3. It just looks horrible...

5.7%
  4. Not for me.

14.2%
  1. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

...Looking good!

Having watched Matt's PowerPoint on the stream I'm very much looking forward to it. Whilst i'll most certainly have to debrand plenty of my trains to even have a chance of getting them in (as things stand), I'm liking the looks of this.

I'm going to address the following things:
    • Menus/UI
    • Integration
    • Licenses
    • Gamertags
    • Suggestions
    Menus & UI
    Despite sticking with the designs seen in TSW2: Rush Hour, the Menus in Creators Club seem very clean, with the different things to click being at good size, so they don't take up too much space like some currently do...

The clear distinction between different sub-menus when browsing seems like it will end up very helpful for navigation, something the post-RH UI isn't very good at.

Integration
    Despite DTL having it's issues for many people (I've personally not had many), I'm glad that Creators Club will be integrated into it. Firstly, it makes life a lot easier to just load up a session in-game and take a few shots, go back to your draft in Creators Club and add the Railfan Shots you just took. Secondly, i would imagine it makes crossing between the Web and In-Game versions easier, using the same account to connect them.

Licenses
    I'm very happy to hear that 6 Licenses, DBAG, MBTA, UP, GTR, as well as NJT and WMCA - both not in game to date - have allowed us to use their licenses in the Creator's Club. It just feels so much better to be able to make and share liveries from real brands, as opposed to fictional only. Hopefully more follow suit.

As for Logos in the Editor, I'm all for it. It makes my life easier! :) I have spoken.

Gamertags
    My only negative. Gamertags. According to Matt, Xbox players will see other Xbox Players Gamertags, and PS Players will see other PS Players Usernames, with cross-platform being shown as Dovetail Live names.

I feel like we should have a choice to hide our Xbox/PS name and go with our Dovetail Live one.

Also, a question (hoping that someone from DTG sees this) - Will "Dovetail Live Name" be the one registered in game, or the one on your account.

I.e. my in-game name is my real name, however my DTL account is TSPlayer something. Which one would show up?

Suggestions
    My only suggestion is one which i've already said - allow for an "anonymous" mode of sorts which only shows your DTL name.

More of a suggestion for after Creators Club: When Livery Competitions happen (At Christmas or something), I say we get the winner to share it via CC, and then the announcement stream is the streamer(s) taking it for a spin for a while.

In Conclusion...
    ...I think that this may be a good step towards a true community feature, and I'm looking forward to a day where we have 4-UP Challenges with Community Liveries and Scenarios.

You may choose to turn this into the "Creators Club Definitive Feedback Thread" below if you want, however I just wanted to express my views. I typed this in 10 minutes so I've not went into much detail, however I think my views are clear enough.
    Thanks.

• Like Like x 12
  2. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I have to say it looked great. Personally I am not bothered by the gamertags, it's quite easy to block people on XBOX, and unless you decided to link other social media or display your name to everyone it's most likely a dead end if for some reasons they wanted to stalk you or something. But of course having the option to hide it woudln't hurt. I would still prefer to be open, so that people can contact me if they need anything related to the work I'll post there, but obviously I don't expect everyone to take my same approach.

About licenses I'm still a bit confused, from Sam's message I kinda got that while it might not technically be OK, we could still upload stuff anyway, but maybe now that those companies have opted in, they could just go "why did you bother to ask us if those guys are uploading all kinds of stuff anyway", so I will wait until I see what I can actually upload there, also I don't like that they didn't address the "off limits trains" (the ICE3 and the TGV), and I would have liked more clarification on that.

My only other question is, what about "modded" scenarios, it is my knowdledge that on PC there are more scenario possibilities due to users modding stuff (for example I remember there are some BR155 passenger services), so if that means us console plebs will have access to more content than otherwise possible it will be a big win, and while I can't see why those shouldn't work, I am not 100% sure they will.

The best news for me was officially licensed logos in the livery editor. Yes please, it was my major holdback to creating all kinds of different variants of already existing stock to add more variety. That is simply fantastic news, and will surely motivate me to do more liveries, and update my old ones with actual real logos.

My suggestion would be to add a livery group sharing, like decals in Forza.

I'm personally really happy and can't wait for this feature to go live, especially now that we know we will have some freedom with real liveries.

My take from the stream is that it is overall a great addition, I can't wait, both as a creator and as a user, but I wished there was a bit more clarity on exactly what will and won't be allowed, but at the same time I can understand why they want to stay vague when talking about licensing, still slightly frustrating

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  3. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Decal Sharing would be good, allows people to truly work together with liveries.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Haribo112

Haribo112 Well-Known Member

DB allowing their logo to be used will be epic. The IC2 livery shown in the PowerPoint will definitely be my #1 download.

• Like Like x 5
  5. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’m concerned with what name is shared with creator’s club for other PS users. If it’s anything other than a username I create just for DTL I won’t be able to use it. The PS account I play TSW on isn’t in my name, it’s in my partner’s name. If it uses her name or nickname then I’m not sharing anything.

6. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Is it just me that thinks you should be able to search by loco or route?

I don't think it's going to be for me initially, restricted licenses and a scenario planner which didn't fit for purpose in my opinion.

Maybe once SP2.0 is ever released it will be of use for me.

Shane DTG hasn't allowed actual mods to be uploaded and shared

• Like Like x 3
  7. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

I like what’s there. It’s a good start.
    I think we need to be mindful of the wording being used in it- in preparing your own creations the word mod is used, so Perhaps in time it will be wider than scenarios and liveries.

I agree about searching, a list of tags to quickly click would be brilliant. I also think for those of us who will make lots of creations a similar filter might be needed on the my uploads page.

8. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

This is my question too, i dont think normal mods like scenariodesigner path extensions or substitutuons are working cross platform because you need them installed to use them which is Impossible on consoles.
    But some other little tweaks which can be shared without needing to install something on the other end, like special formations in my scenarios, sorry for the self Promotion.
    They can already inofficially be shared and used without mods, so maybe they are working in creators club on consoles too, i am certainly going to Test it. Very hyped for the CC. :)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

Seems pretty good to me. Compared to the rest of the UI it is a decent job by the UI guys.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

You know what I'm doing?

I'm looking at this UI and thinking "that could be a good route selection screen"
    upload_2022-1-24_8-57-36.png

;)

• Like Like x 15
  11. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

It’s not for me. But I was quite impressed by what they showed last night. For those interested in livery editing, I imagine it’s a pretty good start.

It‘ll be a lot more interesting to me when there is an improved scenario planner.

• Like Like x 1
  12. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Railpool also on the license part

13. Clumsy Pacer

Given what Matt said them in the Chemnitz streams, I would be surprised if they weren't one of the licensors he said were eager to get their logo in the livery editor.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Thelonius16

Thelonius16 Well-Known Member

I like the interface. It looks like it follow the basics of good UI design -- unlike the Livery Editor, which seems to purposely reinvent the wheel of image-editing software. Better than the Scenario Planner UI too.

Logos will be a welcome addition for art-challenged people like me too.

I can't say I really care to share my own stuff, but I would enjoy some wacky off-the-rails scenarios created by others.

• Like Like x 2
  15. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

I think creator club will work pretty well but DTG needs to stick with it or it will get stale. Regular updates and enhancements improving this feature will get people to keep using it.

• Like Like x 2
  16. gerard

gerard Member

it would be easier to use creator club with a "selective sorting", like "country", "route"
    so we could easier select scenarios according to the addons we own

• Like Like x 2
  17. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Didn’t vote as there wasn’t a suitable option (surprise surprise), my general thoughts are that it is a good idea, but poorly implemented, in the long run this will add more mileage to TSW, however there are some pretty big issues.

Firstly, the server side aspect is awful, constantly having to log in and out of DTL, plus game restarts is already tiresome.

Not being able to scroll the description on consoles is a terrible oversight.

No proper search function is detrimental, we need a way to narrow down what it is we are looking for.

Very buggy when scrolling through peoples pages, if they have multiple tabs of content, you often have to scroll to the next page, then back again to find a page in between them.

No rating system is a bad idea, granted rating systems have issues, however with the amount of content that is being published, we need much more than a ‘most popular’ system, since this purely shows the downloads, and has no bearing on content quality.

Folding into my previous point, I think scenarios must be played and completed before a publisher is allowed to upload the scenario.

Ongoing livery & scenario creator limitations are becoming more apparent with creators club, I won’t go over them here as I think we all know just how restricting they are, but my two biggest issues are that there is a lack of official logos available, hopefully these will be added soon, as IMO, the most unattractive aspect of created liveries are low quality logos (I do not mean for this to sound offensive), the other big issue is that the 5 minute time increments in scenario planner makes it very hard to plan AI movements.

The UI issues are again highlighted here, it is very clunky.

Hopefully this feedback can be acted upon, I fear that it will not be though, as we are seeing a pattern in DTG having spare time to implement features, however this time is not available in the future, and such features become neglected.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Clumsy Pacer

Something that irritates me is that the screenshots in the game aren't in 16:9 but stretched to something weird - however the website is fine.

I'd like a feedback system that isn't just general ratings or up/down - maybe force people to write a comment with a star rating? There's nothing worse than getting feedback that's just a number of people who downvoted it - not because it's disheartening but because you can't do anything with that.

Maybe it's just the web page but you can't search tags? Really? What's the point of them then?
    upload_2022-2-28_10-37-59.png
    upload_2022-2-28_10-38-20.png

It's also pretty slow (thumbnails on the website take a while to load after everything else has) and it's a bit of a chore to scroll through things if you just want a browse to have a look to see if anything pops out to you - as is on Thursdays stream, where there was already upwards of 60 pages of liveries (I think it's now about 170 pages). I get the feeling they've had more uploads and traffic than they were expecting.
    upload_2022-2-28_10-46-39.png
    upload_2022-2-28_10-45-54.png
    Granted it's only a few seconds but still. It being very slow, though is a problem across the whole Dovetail Live site, you can often be waiting upwards of 10-15 seconds for it to load the next page of news articles even on a fast connection - the forums are the quickest part of it.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  19. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I’m indifferent on it currently, in part, it just seems a faff to dig through.

20. solon

solon Active Member

It's a good idea. Difficult for the moment to navigate in Creators Club (scenario part). I don't have all TSW DLC and therefore I don't know which scenarios are compatible with my addons.

Would be nice to be able to sort by DLC

21. Jannerdunk

Jannerdunk Well-Known Member

Its a start, but dtg really need to prioritise the next version of the scenario creator to allow people to create more interesting drives.

22. Clumsy Pacer

It'll have a little red triangle in the corner of the thumbnail if you don't have the required content, or if you click on the item, it'll have a "required content" button at the bottom.
    upload_2022-2-28_16-35-46.png
    upload_2022-2-28_16-36-8.png
    upload_2022-2-28_16-36-47.png
    upload_2022-2-28_16-37-30.png

(note this is on the in-game version; the website can't know what you do/don't have installed). I personally think that little 'required content' bit should be on everything.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  23. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

It´s a good initiative to bring variety into the game.

The CC´s search engine, though, doesn´t do squat. It doesn´t yield the obvious tags nor author names nor Loco classes (BR363, BR 363). Nothing, niente, zilch ...... It matches, however, very nicely the rest of the clumsy TSW UI.
    WIthout an obvious naming convention, can you imagine that library growing and growing? You won´t find the elephant in the room.

• Like Like x 3
  24. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Can one activate the "required content" warning with one's uploaded mod? I haven't found a way to do it, and the offerings online seem to be very inconsistent as to whether it appears or not

25. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Agreed, the search engine needs a lot of work. What we have now is like a huge bookstore, with all the books jumbled randomly on the shelves except for the "bestsellers" section.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

No, it will only appear automatically if you dont have all required payware. So the warning only comes if theres something to warn about, thats why its only on some entrys.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
  27. JReacher

JReacher New Member

Is there a limit as to how many subscriptions you can have? I keep finding myself find better stuff and then having to unsubscribe to get it. Also there are some fantastic artists. I wish there were more graffiti cars. More realistic.

28. Clumsy Pacer

Are you using the website or the in-game menu?

29. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Played one scenario. Personally I’m out off as soon as I see pg 1 of 95.
    I maybe be well off track here too but I can’t imagine the scenarios will be too much more creative than what DTG give us other than running a train up a line it doesn’t normally. Not convinced. Liveries look nice though