Ts22 - F-unit Bonanza!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, Feb 28, 2022.

1. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
    • Like Like x 8
  2. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

For the Wasatch Grade, this is one challenge not to miss on with these puppies. Should be fun.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Looking forward to their release.

4. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Day 1 buy for me, especially since 2 things I suggested DTM to add to this pack were added in. (The DRGW "As Delivered" paint, and the SSW Blue Streak boxcar)

5. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

I would love to see ATSF Warbonnet and Blue/Yellow Catwhisker F-Units, as well as other road names.

6. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Surely a nice pack, and as I basically like the DTM stuff in terms of functionality, but some stuff is a bit off with their locos

- Often wrong texture paths in their couplers' GeoPcDx's referencing other DTM DLCs
    - The texturing and lack of surface reflection and bump mapping makes the locos look like they're made of plastic.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  8. hayward.john48

hayward.john48 Well-Known Member

A good thing about DTM is that if notified he is usually quick with a fix.

9. touzzz

touzzz New Member

Can't wait, can't wait....date of release please????

10. Blacknred81

DTM predicts they will be out the 10th.

11. dragoner

dragoner Well-Known Member

Sorry to ruin the hype but DTM confirmed that the sounds are from Kuju's F7.
    It was confirmed on facebook.

12. Blacknred81

13. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

This is unfortunate. I like the F3 being out there, but reused sounds is cheap. Each train really needs its own sounds.

14. Blacknred81

Ehh, the textures from what I'm seeing on the stream are not very good......oof. Especially the wheels and axles.....

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
  15. itstypicalrailfanner16

itstypicalrailfanner16 Active Member

Let me say this to everyone! This is what I said to Jamie this afternoon!
    Jamie the F3 dlc that just released is garbage! Let me bring up the very first steam review!

"In short, no.

This pack has plenty of faults and oversights that are simply not tolerable in 2022.

I'll go over the few positives this pack has before going into detail about it's issues.

Customisable Model - It's nice to have the option to customise things such as the gangways, sander caps and trucks. It really offers some variety so that no two F3s are the same.

Amount of Liveries - To say there are a lot of liveries in this pack would be an understatement. We're even seeing roads we've never officially seen in TS before, like the MSTL, MoPac and MKT!

Model - The modelling is pretty nice, a damsite better than the Kuju F7. Compared to the kuju F7 this one is a lot shorter, as it should be.

Now onto the negatives.

Textures - The textures in this pack are just awful. The trucks on the wagons look like they'd been painted white and incredibly polished. They stick out like a sore thumb, You can also see the axles rotating under the wagons extremely clearly due to the bake. The colours on the liveries are all over the place. The orange on western pacific is really dark, UP is a mustard colour and the orange on southern pacific just sticks out horribly. CNW suffers the same issue as UP, and CGW is just... wrong. The cabooses (cabeese?) are also ridiculously shiny, like a mirror. The weathering looks like someone took an air brush and just painted a small section, then repeated it over and over. This is especially noticeable on the MoPac one, as the fuel tanks are also weathered in the same way, meaning you get this weird effect of double weathering (it's kind of hard to explain).

Headlights - The headlight flares on this are atrocious. Maybe for 2014 they would have been acceptable but they simply don't look good especially compared to the likes of searchlight who's flare actually look realistic. They have all sorts of strange lens effects coming off of them as well and it simply doesn't look good. The number boards also light infront of the numbers and bleed through the numbers, instead of lighting them up from behind. Not at all prototypical.

Brakes - This loco features the "advanced brake script" by smokebox. Which, while good in concept is poorly executed here. For example, it has this feature of "tactile detents", which is designed to help you use the brakes. However it just gets annoying. For example, if you're about to reach a speed decrease and need to slow down, you'd apply the brakes (naturally). But the problem is they latch on and they get stuck in position. Meaning you have to let go for a few seconds, then re-apply. This is obviously not prototypical and incredibly annoying.

Audio - The sounds on this thing are from 2012, and do not sound accurate to an EMD 567 prime mover at all. Some new recordings are sorely needed as the ones used here are a farcry from acceptable. The joint sounds are incredibly hollow and the flange is just deafening. The bell is the same as pretty much every other EMD from DTM and the horn is the same Wabco E2 as we've seen on almost every DTM DLC since the SW1200, and it has a horrible loop.

Cab - The cab on this thing is just... eugh. It's ridiculously shiny and none of the gauges are labelled. The chair is just a solid colour with no texturing whatsoever (come on, even the kuju F7 had that!)

Features - Outside of having opening doors and windows, and the aforementioned model customisations and brake scripts, there are no unique features in this pack. Not a single one. Kind of funny how they put this in the description: "highly realistic features"

The words realistic, and this pack repel each other like magnets and don't exactly attract if you spend time modifying it.

I give this thing a 15% score. Avoid it at all costs, even with a deep discount"
    That's freaking disappointing and unacceptable for 2022 You guys were able to make Pro Range content before (well that was mostly third party devs) and now you guys make this? This is really horrible and a bad look for DTG. What kind of fools do you guys take us for?! We're not stupid and this dlc makes us feel like we are. This ridiculous. Make content that we can actually congratulate you guys for. Not content that will make us get pissed off with you guys!
    And this is literally the day it released that this user made this review. What the hell man?! What kind of crap are you trying to pull? You could have had Searchlight Simulations or Jointed Rail do this dlc because they can do it better and make the trains more authentic. I absolutely love the dlcs you guys put out, even they are garbage, but I can't keep buying dlcs if it's 2022 and their authenticity, detail, and true-to-life realism haven't improved. Even N3V Games makes better locomotives than this. And theirs are authentic, realistic, and impressive as heaven.

16. itstypicalrailfanner16

In case you guys don't believe me on the review part, I'm going to screenshot it and post it here!

17. itstypicalrailfanner16

upload_2022-3-10_12-8-16.png
    Here's the full review. The first freaking review and this thing was just released today. What does this make you guys thing? What are you feeling right now? I really wanna know what you guys think, because I know I am not happy with seeing this review as the very first review after release.

18. Cyclone

Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
  19. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Thank you for the feedback from everyone, DTM has confirmed it is now looking at fixes for a patch for the F3, this is the list below that is currently being looked, we don't have a timeframe for these improvements yet, but when we do, we will let you know.
    • Improved textures and shaders
    • minor problem with the air gauges that will be fixed.
    • Improve the look of the lit number boards and the headlight lens flare.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  20. Cyclone

I had read someone commenting in Discord about a bogey being fixed. So I knew something was coming. Will be welcome updates for sure, hopefully enough to turn the pack around as it has had a very negative start. Might be useful to note in the product pages when a pack is updated officially and note what is updated, but I know you don't control the store personally so can't guarantee that happens.

21. dragoner

What about the sounds?

22. Cyclone

You mean you don't like hearing the Kuju F7 sounds? :D

(I'm kidding, don't throw tomatoes at me.)

23. dragoner

I do like the Kuju F7 sounds. But I find them ridicolous to add them on... 2022's product. If it was some sort of reskin then I guess it would be more acceptable.
    Dont worry, Ive read it before even going to the store. XD