How To Manage Consists In Quick Drive Mode

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by westcastlerail, Feb 28, 2022.

1. westcastlerail

westcastlerail Active Member

Hi everyone

I recently invested in RW Enhancer 2 , mainly to see if I could get Quick Drive scenarios working. (Now that you can do real-time weather and intermediate station stops.)

Been through the 28 routes I own, and only 9 have AI included in Quick Drive, some of which spawn very questionable choices of AI services. (Deltics and voyagers spawing in the same drive!)

So have picked Great Western Mainline (Paddington to Oxford) to start programming a realistic quick drive from the 1990s.

I have watched Matts quick drive creation video that has got me off in the right direction.

I believe the AI is picked depending on the AI Category picked. (Fast Commuter/ passenger/ international etc).

I have found an empty category called Preserved, and put 10 consists that would appear on the fast line from the 1990s (class 47 / 50 / HST).

I now would like to add AI on the slow line (DMU / Freight etc) so assume I need to find another empty consists category … but I can’t find one.

Does anyone please know if it’s possible to change and reallocate the category each consists sit in? (I do have TS tools if that is an option)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
  2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

For most types of train there is a PreLoad folder which has the trains for AI and Quick Drive
    If you look in the bin file for Quick Drives you will see there this info

This is in the Kuju Class 166 preload bin file

<EngineType d:type="cDeltaString">Diesel</EngineType>
    <EraStartYear d:type="sUInt32">1992</EraStartYear>
    <EraEndYear d:type="sUInt32">2050</EraEndYear>
    <DrivingEngineIndex d:type="sUInt32">0</DrivingEngineIndex>
    <ValidBuildAndDriveRoutes>
    <cConsistValidRoute d:id="82341408">
    <RouteGUID d:type="cDeltaString">00000001-0000-0000-0000-000000000000</RouteGUID>
    </cConsistValidRoute>
    </ValidBuildAndDriveRoutes>
    <DrivableConsist d:type="cDeltaString">eTrue</DrivableConsist>
    <ConsistType d:type="cDeltaString">eConsistTypePassengerCommuter</ConsistType>
    <HasPantograph d:type="cDeltaString">eFalse</HasPantograph>
    <Has3rdRailShoe d:type="cDeltaString">eFalse</Has3rdRailShoe>
    <Requires4thRail d:type="cDeltaString">eFalse</Requires4thRail>

The dates in EraStartYear and EraEndYear is a date where the train is valid in Scenarios
    Change the date to one that is closer to the dates the trains ran then you well get a better AI choice.
    There is a ValidBuildAndDriveRoutes and a GUID of 00000001-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 = Paddington - Oxford
    Add in additional routes you wish this consist to appear on

Also in the same bin file is a ConsistType

If you tell the AI markers on the slow line to use local PassengerCommuter and freight trains that is what you will get

3. malmac

malmac New Member

In the Tools menu Route Building Tools-Check QD consists and fragments allows you to edit the category of any consist selected from a provider in the left hand list of assets. You can also add or delete whichever routes you want them to appear in.
    If you want a clean start with no allocated ai consists I assume you could clone the route and then just allocate whatever consists you wish with any category you wish. There is also a workshop route BR blue period which has no pre allocated ai consists.

4. westcastlerail

Hi Peter and Malmac

Thanks so much for your replies - they have been most hopeful!

I have managed to locate the bin files, and successfully change the era date and AI categories, but there is over 1400 consists to update according to TS Tools.

So have tried Malmac idea of cloning the route and starting with no allocated AI groups, and then just going through only to 20 or so consists I propose to use for this route. This seems to be working fine and a lot quicker!

Just one further question if anyone can help - is there a correct way to click on AI Scenerio markers to bring up the AI groups menu?

I aim for the the bottom of the Icon pressing Shift, but its extremely hit and miss (and is getting quite frustrating when doing multiple markers!). It seems to depend on the camera angle and distance from the Icon?

5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

When I click on the AI Scenario Markers I don't use shift - just left click.
    Try lifting it in to the air to see the lower edge

6. malmac

malmac New Member

I'm afraid the markers can be hit and miss. Best solution I have found is to resize them to a much larger scale taking them clear of vegetation, overhead wires etc. It also makes them easier to find if you are going back to edit them later.
    With regard to updating consists using tools you can narrow the search to a specific dlc for instance Assets, Kuju, ,Rail Simulator,Preload, OxfoPadd.
    If it is any consolation I have 40 plus routes and with the exception of Newcastle to Edinburgh the GW mainline is by far the worst for inappropriate ai traffic. I hope this won't put you off editing other routes.

7. westcastlerail

Thanks both for the feedback on the markers and the GW mainline route.

I picked GW mainline mainly because I remember whizzing up and down the route on a HST or class 50 as a kid, and from a TS point of view not too long to hopefully hone my Quick Drive AI skills.

Plans was then to move onto something a bit bigger, either ATS Missing Link (Preston to Birmingham no AI in QD that I can see) or Just Trains South Western Complete collection (Exeter-PAD - very limited amount of AI in QD).

Sorry to ask yet another question - but is there a way of sharing QD scenarios? (Cant say I have ever noticed them in Steam or on ATS, etc)

8. malmac

malmac New Member

I haven't come across any way of sharing QD templates certainly not in steam workshop. Sadly quick drive seems largely unloved or even looked down upon in TS and obviously you have to make an effort to find timetables and calling patterns to get the most from it which not everyone wants to do. On the plus side one well made QD template with random adverse ai allows almost unlimited scenario options using any dlc that you already own, like a superior version of timetable mode in TSW.
    Obviously there is a lot more money for the stakeholders in promoting scenario packs requiring hundreds of pounds worth of dlc to run, which is fine but not within everyone's price range. particularly newcomers to the game. Hopefully the RW enhancer weather options might make Quick Drive a more attractive option for a few more players to explore.

9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You don't share a Quick Drive Template - but you can share a Quick Drive Scenario
    There are quite a few Quick Drive Scenarios on the Workshop

10. malmac

malmac New Member

Apologies for using the wrong terminology, and passing on any incorrect information. I will dip out and leave the forum to experts from now on.

11. westcastlerail

Hi everyone - further to the above thread, Cloning the route worked on the Western Mainlines (Oxf Pad), in order to start a fresh with AI QD consists groups. (have created 2 QD routes with AI based on 1991 and 2022)

I am now starting to work through adding the AI to the Quick Drive for JT Western Mainlines, starting with QD Penz-Plymouth.

Unfortunately, duplicating the route has not worked for JT Western Mainlines, so am having to use the original supplied QD scenario and consists groups.

I have cleared out all the AI groups in Scenario editor, so only my own ones are left that have been created in Rail Enhancer2. (see pic).

Have set the scenario date to 1991 for the era I want to run, but I am still getting what I presume is default AI form the original route.

Class 67 / Voyagers / HST in GWR blue is not realistic for 1991!

Does anyone have any suggestions how I can stop these unrealistic appearing, or alternatively, why they are appearing in the first place?

Attached Files:

12. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Well-Known Member

Quick drives can be shared as RWP files, just like any other scenario type.

BUT the thing is, if you plan to share with others, beware that you can never know what AI consists resides on their system. So unless you REALLY know what you are doing, only use AI categories that are used in the original route when sharing.

Also beaware that if you choose to export preload, you are in essense modifying others setup, so again, know what you are doing, or untill you have real experience, refrain from doing this.

It took me LOTS of research and experience to fully understand, and comprehend the intricacies of doing this.

13. westcastlerail

Hi Kim - thanks for responding. No not planning on sharing as per the reasons you state.

On my PC, I just keep getting Virgin Voyagers appearing in 1991 scenario on JT Western Mainlines Penz - Plymouth.

Tonight, using TS Tools I have:
    1) Exported all my 1800 or so QD consists into and an Excel Spreadsheet.
    2) From that, sorted them by Consist Group, Route, and Era
    3) This identified 30 Just Trains consists, where the Era dates where miles out. (For instance a class 67 1960-2050!)
    4) Went back in using TS Tools, and manually changed the Era dates on the 30 identified consists and resaved.
    5) Cleared the Cache in game, and restarted my PC.

This has made the AI better (no more class 67 or Blue HSTs etc), but I am still getting Class 221 Voyagers (in Virgin Red).

Have now tried using RW Enhancer content explorer tool, and gone through the Regional Commuter consist group. (411 in total).

In this list, there are 4 Super Voyagers consists from DTG North Wales Coastal that have a date of 1830 to 2050.

I suspect these 4 Super Voyagers may be consists that keep appearing in my Western Mainlines QD 1991 QD scenario!

The problem now, is I cannot get in to edit North Wales Coastal QD consists using TS Tools.

Any suggestions to help resolve would be most welcome?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
  14. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

This is quite common - when the consists were created I don't think Quick Drive was taken in to account