Recommended Laptop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by firstbusman, Feb 27, 2022.

1. firstbusman

firstbusman New Member

Can anyone advise some recommended Laptops that will operate Transim and Armstrong Powerhouse add ons. My current Laptop is ok but struggles abit I expect its runnin at its limit.

I understand I can transfer my saved Steam purchased routes etc.

Thank you

Stuart

• Like Like x 1
  2. Aryffordd

Aryffordd Guest

It’d help to know what your budget is, so people can narrow down any recommendations.

3. firstbusman

firstbusman New Member

Up to £1000

Cheers

4. westcastlerail

westcastlerail Active Member

I have seen a few posts previously on similar threads that say laptops probably are not the best way to go for running TS.

But if you need to go the laptop for a specific reason, online retailer BOX have plenty of gaming laptops well under your budget.

Gaming Laptops - Cheap Gaming Laptop Deals | Box.co.uk

You can play TS via Steam remote play - by leaving my PC on at home I can play remotely on my work laptop (very low spec!) or I Pad at work during the day!

Ts2021 Remote Play On I-pad + I-phone Via Steam And Steam Link App | Dovetail Games Forums

5. Aryffordd

Aryffordd Guest

It looks like no-one can give a recent and specific recommendation, and thats understandable. The various models and configurations change so often in the PC world that unless someone on the forums has bought a laptop within the last year within that budget, AND had a good experience with TS classic, then all anyone can do is give general advice.

So, well, some general advice then!

As the biggest problem with laptops is their inherent un-upgradability, it is best to make sure that you get the fastest processor and GPU that you can, as these will be stuck in there forever. Most gaming laptops allow you to upgrade the RAM and either upgrade the SSD or come with an additional m2 type of slot to add another one. SSD space is an important limiting factor as many people on these forums end up filling their storage up with a gazillion miles of route and every AP pack possible! The more addons you have the greater the pressure will be on RAM too (likewise if you like long merged routes). So make sure you can actually add more storage and RAM if you need to at a later date - worth double checking just in case.

On the subject of GPUs in particular, is that their relative power to one another isn’t as consistent as it is on a desktop PC. You could be presented with an rtx3060 that runs slower than an rtx3050 for example - this is because the power rating (literally the power rating, so how many watts the GPU is using) can be changed by the manufacturer of the laptop, either to run cooler, or to use less battery. It is therefore very important to check reviews of the models you are considering online before buying. Most reviews aren’t going to cover TS classic, or TSW for that matter, but they will highlight any general throttling of the system, or bottlenecks, and at least help give some idea of comparative frame rates. This is especially true if you can find ones that cover other simulations, which are typically similarly taxing on both CPU and GPU.

Hope this is of some help.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2022
  6. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

Yes I`m late to the party but I`ve just bought TS2022 in the sale to test it on my HP Envy Laptop with a Ryzen 7 & AMD Radeon graphics running Win 11 & it does seem to work ok, not at the highest of res but it runs & at a descent frame rate!

7. sheldenwhobrey

sheldenwhobrey New Member

I think you should try buying a Macbook, even an old one. Usually, they have good efficiency and affordable prices, especially if you buy old models. Before purchasing any laptop, especially not from the shop, I would suggest you check its state at any computer repair service near you so you can be sure that you are buying a good laptop. Also, you can think about buying a desktop instead of a laptop because, in most cases, you will be able to buy a stronger PC box for the same price as a laptop. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me in private messages.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  8. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

For a game that runs on Windows 10/11?

9. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Never been able to play the game on a MacBook. The game’s operating system is Windows 10 or 11.

Please let me know how you play it on a MacBook?

10. kurtosizm

kurtosizm Well-Known Member

I've got an i7-8750H laptop with 16GB RAM and a GTX 1060 6GB, and I have to say I've got some stuttering on newer routes, as well as lower FPS figures (18-24 on high settings). Which doesn't bother me too much, but it would be nice to know if a laptop I'm looking at would help with the stuttering issue. RAM would be still 16GB, with a much newer processor (AMD Ryzen™ 9 6900HX) and an RTX™ 3070 Ti, 8 GB GDDR6. I need a new machine, and was wondering if it would achieve higher FPS, or the stuttering is down to the ancient game engine?

11. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

All good advice but on this point it's worth noting that upgrading the RAM on a laptop is likely to involve replacing the modules you have with larger capacity ones rather than simply adding more as you can usually in a desktop. Check if there's a free memory slot or get 16GB in the first place (which might not be so vital for TS but any newer games you have or might get in the future, TSW for example, will benefit).

12. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Worst advice ever. LOL. Apart from the fact that you'd be running it under emulation using Winebottle or something, saying that even an old macbook is better is just a pure fanboy statement, and the kind of nonsense brainwiped Apple zealots come out with. To everyone else, please ignore this person's advice. Not only is an old Macbook a bad idea generally, it's particularly bad advice for Train Sim.

13. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Well-Known Member

Well i did start out running YS on a MacMini 2012 via bootcamp. But i also got a win machine pretty soon, because ofcourse it could barely run it.

To the OP: Do NOT go below the recommended specs of the 64bit version. The recommended specs are there for a reason.

14. For high resolutions and frame rates you would want to aim for a 3070ti or equivalent.

Or if you can find a older used laptop with a gtx 1080 that would handle it well

Gtx 1660 or above

Gtx 1050ti will struggle at high res but is ok for 1080p on lower settings.

As mentioned above you can remote play with steam.