Bakerloo 1938 Stock Audio…again

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by QNS Chris, Feb 17, 2022.

1. QNS Chris

QNS Chris Well-Known Member

Amongst the unfortunate host of audio issues in TSW2, the one has been bothering me the most (aside from all the other ones that bother me the most) has been the abysmal sounds on the Bakerloo 1938 Stock. What really burns me is that the audio sounds good when standing up in the cab, directly above the T/O seat. The same problem exists on the IOW BR class 483 - standing up, in the cab, the audio sounds good, ya know, like the interior of a near 90 year-old train. When sitting down in the T/O seat, the audio disappears.

The train itself is beautifully modeled, and I love the physics and acceleration. The ‘73 Stock doesn’t have anything on that sweet, sweet acceleration. However, what the ‘73 DOES have is good audio, sitting or standing in the cab.

In summary - this issue makes the train unplayable for me due to audio. I’ve tried. At least a dozen times. It just doesn’t work for me - the lack of audio is a total immersion killer.

Please fix this Dovetail / Rivet. You have a fantastic 1938 Stock model, fantastic physics, and God-awful sounds. Please this playable for me (and many others) again.

• Like Like x 11
  2. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Same for me, i dont mind the green interior, which has a slightly wrong green.

My problem with the 38 tube stock is, with the current sounds its totally immersion braking. You sit there and its so silent like beeing in a glider.

Its like the op said, sounds are there but mixed in a way that i prefere not to drive this train and use it as static museum instead.

This is an excellent example of a potential nice addon with a really nice modeled train, cant deliver an experience because the bad sound approach.

Since its "only" takes a new mixing i hope rivet is gonna fix that. Didnt refund it because i was looking forward to it.

I paid 20 bucks (same as the g6 from tsg).

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
    • Like Like x 7
  3. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I refunded but would buy again in a heartbeat if they sorted the audio so it sounds like a tube train.

Hello DTG/Rivet, customer standing at the bar waving his £10 note (plus change).

• Like Like x 7
  4. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Same. I would love to buy teh '38 stock, but not until it sounds like that, lol... Fix the sounds and it's a buy from me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tanglebones

Tanglebones Well-Known Member

Could not possibly agree more, I've tried several times to run this but never get past a few stations before I jump over to the other. The sounds, to my ears, are simply dreadful. Sitting there for long seconds of complete silence at times. What on earth were they thinking? I find it so hard to wrap my head around them sighing and leaning back in their chairs after a long period of developing the beautiful graphics in this train and thinking "Whew, job done. Good to go."

Every day I keep checking TSC to see if someone has uploaded a better sound pak, but it's never there. And I'm not hopeful they'll fix it, they've moved on to other things. But I will never put myself in that position again with any other product of theirs. One bitten, twice shy. That lesson has been very much learned.

• Like Like x 7
  6. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

I want to refund this as well, but how do you refund it on steam game pc? I don't know where to go to, to process a refund

7. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/784C-923B-A4A1-C825

They won't refund a DLC if you've played the base game for more than 2 hours, or it's been 14 days since purchase.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Jasper_Rivet

Jasper_Rivet Well-Known Member

Thanks for all your feedback - especially on the "sit down in the driver seat" sound bug. I added it to our bug reporting software, let's see with what the devs come back to us.

• Like Like x 6
  9. OldVern

The problem on the 1938 stock, Jasper, is the coasting and deceleration sounds, deadly quiet. During braking you should hear the rheostatic effect from the traction motors - just compare with the 1972 stock, which isn't brilliant but still present.

• Like Like x 5
  10. QNS Chris

Thank you for your reply, Jasper - greatly appreciate you raising this internally! There is so much potential on this train set, and again, your team did a beautiful job on modeling and physics. Audio is the last piece of the puzzle. Thanks again!

• Like Like x 3
  11. QNS Chris

Hi Jasper - any update re audio on the 38 stock?

• Like Like x 2
  12. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Probably next year like always or never like the 204

• Like Like x 7
  13. nhilsubsolenovum

nhilsubsolenovum Active Member

Did this get resolved? I want to buy it but won't if the sound is awful.

• Like Like x 2
  14. OldVern

Not to my knowledge. Rivet doing what they do best again, i.e. nothing!

• Like Like x 3
  15. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

This is such an iconic train that deserves much more imho. Brings back so many memories as a child but ruined by the lack of sound.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Kitten

Kitten Active Member

I love the modelling but all the videos of this DLC have put me off buying, because of the audio.

17. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Yeah. It’s pretty poor. This train was part of my childhood and it’s sad to hear how it’s been implemented. Shame as it’s not bad to drive. Seems to be a problem with Rivet. They make a nice model but completely let it down with the “bash it on and leave it” sounds. There are plenty of videos that they could use for reference.

18. Tanglebones

Jasper_Rivet said in the stream today that our feedback was passed to the dev team at Rivet and asking for patience. Respectfully, considering how long ago we purchased it, I think we've passed the 'be patient' point but it is what it is. I still can't bring myself to play a full route with this and I have tried several times. Those long periods of total silence just ruin it for me.

Rivet - look at all the other routes for TSW, when power goes to zero there is always background running sounds, including engine and tracks! I'm not asking for a total do-over, just plug the gaps please.

• Like Like x 3
  19. QNS Chris

Couldn’t agree more - the silence is deafening and totally kills the experience. Rivet’s latest releases (Luzerne, IoW refresh) - particularly the audio within them - demonstrate to me that they’ve turned a corner on quality. I’m hoping that the significant uptick in quality carries through to the 38 stock and makes that beautiful train playable.

20. ukpetey

ukpetey Well-Known Member

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but did Rivet ever fix this?

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

No

22. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

guess!

23. OldVern

Meanwhile they are pressing on and being allowed to sell their steam scenario pack for the equally broken WCL and 150.

24. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Well i have to say the jubilee looks great. Ill make a suggestion, that Rivet is creating a Class 150/1 loco Addon, and updates the Cl.150/2 heavily, would be a second chance which seem not too far off. Luckily this steam railtour dlc is in the close to release pipeline, else i doubt we would have had a fast fix for Edinburgh Glasgow Route.

25. ukpetey

Thanks chaps. In which case I’ll not buy it, even though I’d like it. Like many others, it’s just appalling behaviour from both Rivet and DTG and shows a complete lack of respect for their customers. It’s those customers for whom they exist, and who pay their wages. It’s a poor business model. I run a business and customer service, getting everything right, delivering what I promise and fixing anything that breaks, are the key to my success. I fight hard to maintain that, both for my 100% five star ratings, and for my own satisfaction

• Like Like x 4
  26. ukpetey

Jasper_Rivet - it’s been over a year since you posted this - do you have any update?

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  27. Omnicitywife

Omnicitywife Well-Known Member

It's been a year now, so it's never happening, I'm glad the thread has been revived though, maybe this time...

• Like Like x 1
  28. QNS Chris

Jasper - would appreciate an update. Is this going to be addressed or not? The community has been more or less uniform in their opinion regarding the ‘38 stock audio. It’s been over a year - the silence on this issue is as pronounced as the silence on the ‘38 stock. Still holding out hope.

• Like Like x 1
  29. rennekton#1349

I have a feeling he's gonna say they weren't able to get real sound recordings and all that. And some sound limitations are caused by sound system in unreal itself such as no reverb.

30. Bravo2six

Bravo2six Well-Known Member

I think the main issue is the bug that just cuts out the audio when you're sat down.
    If that got fixed, then it would be perfect

• Like Like x 3
  31. OldVern

The acceleration sounds are okay. It’s the lack of rheostat braking noise when slowing down and the almost non existent track sound that’s the issue.

32. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

Jasper! Please return 38 to the game. This rolling stock is idle in my depot, but I really want to use it. The model is executed at the highest level, but the sounds make it unplayable. Even if you can't get the original sound, you can create an acceptable mix from the available sounds. Please pay attention to this train, we need it.

• Like Like x 3
  33. Tanglebones

I can't agree more - it's sitting there untouched but I want to play it. Every time I try, I can't get past that silence, and end up switching to the 'modern' 72 stock. Please fix it.

• Like Like x 5
  34. Jasper_Rivet

Jasper_Rivet Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback - again (and sorry for the wait)! I've forwarded this to our devs so they can have a look at it. I'll let you know once we have news about the 38 Stock!

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Dtg should do all sound jobs with AP together

36. uvm0902

Thank you for listening to our request. I really hope you make improvements to it! I'm sure it can sound as good as 38 on the island! I look forward to it!

37. rennekton#1349

Unless ap doesn't have the sound recordings

38. Bravo2six

Bravo2six Well-Known Member

I suspect AP don't have a reliable source for original '38 stock trains, seeing as no unmodifield running examples survive.

There is one being rebuilt, but i'm not sure how original the running gear will be.

39. OldVern

They are going to have to synthesise the sounds based on what reference material is out there, but still better than the eerie silence that currently accompanies coasting or slowing down.

• Like Like x 2
  40. ukpetey

Thank you. I and many others I’m sure will look forward to your update. With baited breath

• Like Like x 1
  41. Tanglebones

Well, credit where credit is due - I've just taken a ride on the newly updated 38 stock and I'm very pleased with the results - both in audio and otherwise. Thank you to Rivet Games for making this change and I very much look forward to exploring all the scenarios and timetable options now. No more silent train!

BZ.

• Like Like x 4
  42. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I didn't have any interest in this DLC but I think I might have to get it now.

43. uvm0902

I've been waiting for these sound improvements for a very long time! I look forward to the evening when I can experience it. I really hope I won't be disappointed. Thank you Rivet for your work!

• Like Like x 1
  44. sophieclarke1983

sophieclarke1983 Well-Known Member

Don’t tell me your surprised lol I mean west Cornwall local had update today and still so called sprinter 150/2 audio still pile of garbage over year after release

• Like Like x 1
  45. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

You know the opening post you quoted is from February 2022!

• Like Like x 2
  46. OldVern

Sounds like good news on the 1938 stock. Might have to drop it in the basket come the next sale.

47. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

the new sounds are questionable but at least it’s not a painful experience driving the thing now

• Like Like x 2
  48. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

For those who own it (please dont comment if you've only heard the sounds via you tube or another streaming platform) is it now worth a purchase?

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  49. Tanglebones

In my opinion, yes, very much so. Just to put things in context - I've owned it since release and hadn't even managed to complete a single run, despite trying on several occasions. Every time I heard the silent train, I lost patience and exited it. I'm now about a half-dozen runs in, with several scenarios complete, and am thoroughly enjoying it.

Is it perfect? Probably not, but then again I don't expect perfection. Others may have issues, I have none.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  50. uvm0902

I have it in my library since the release date. Was idle until the latest fixes. Because of the bad sounds, I couldn't play it. The new sound mix suits me. The train model is cool, the gameplay is exciting. I do not regret the purchase and would recommend to others.

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 2