How Does Raildriver Work For German Trains?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Br425, Mar 4, 2022.

1. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

So in Germany, the train controls are different from the UK and the US. Basically, everything is inverted, you push the throttle forwards to accelerate and pull it backwards to take the power away. Also, the brakes are released in the front position and are fully applied when they are pulled back towards the driver.

Are the controls on the RailDriver for German trains like in real life, described above? Or is it the British controls for every train?

2. osiegmund9

osiegmund9 Well-Known Member

It is the same principe like in the british stock. Backwards=accelerate, Forward=decrease power.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

Unfortunately Raildriver works as the labels on the Raildriver are - accelerate: pull towards you, brake: push away from you. This is extremely counterintuitive for me, even more so when driving a German train (or French or Suisse for that matter). I hope we will get the option to inverse to controls so they match what we see in the cab, but currently that is not possible.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

Okay, thank you. This should definitely be changed...

5. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Hm, was not aware of this. For a non-German it feels normal, but I appreciate the confusion for German fans.

What's it like driving German locos with keyboard/ mouse?

6. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

It's the same controls on the keyboard and mouse, but that feels totally fine

7. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

Since the keys are left/right, it doesn't matter really, but with the Raildriver and in-cab controls going back and forth, it makes much more of a difference :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

Thats exactly the point!

• Like Like x 1
  9. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

We just need custom bindings on RailDriver so we can set it to how we want so we can reverse the throttle and more.

For example on TS1 I use the range switch for PZB acknowledge and the Estop for PZB release etc.

• Like Like x 2
  10. LCYCowboy

LCYCowboy Member

F6FD8EAD-FA8B-4D0D-98E1-502E87F7AFD7.jpeg
    5AD0F175-5A55-4465-B066-DF33AB4DA62D.jpeg
    Here’s my rail driver for German trains. Works with all locos (with the same leaver/switch doing the same thing in each loco - unlike rail driver)

Also works perfectly with Zusi

• Like Like x 3
  11. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

Wow, did you build that yourself? That is impressive

• Like Like x 1
  12. LCYCowboy

LCYCowboy Member

I built a similar copy of Whitsim's brilliant controller https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/arduino-controller-build.45279/#post-447330

It was quite straight forward. Because I normally only drive German trains mine is laid out like a standard German panel. I have levers for AFB and Power on the left and the three brakes on the right. I have the two toggles and one button for PZB and a big red Sifa button in the middle. To the right I have some door opening toggles/buttons and a horn toggle.

I was quite close to buying a rail driver, but it was quite expensive and I was put off by both its American layout, and the fact that you had to wait for trains to be added in TSW, and when they were, each button/lever seemed to do different things on different trains.

Using Whitsim's method, you can control the same feature from the same button/lever in any train. As I said, it also works beautifully in Zusi (which I spend most of my time in)

• Like Like x 1
  13. MaxBenchip

MaxBenchip Well-Known Member

Your controller look superb ! But I have a question where did you find the "big" levers ? I have found everything I need like small switches or pushbuttons but not the big levers.

(Edit)
    Nevermind, found them !
    Link if someone else is interested : https://www.amazon.com.be/-/nl/Cont...4&psc=1&mcid=6857cd1161863312acd623e39aafeaa2

Last edited: Nov 4, 2023
  14. bartolomaeusz

bartolomaeusz Well-Known Member

I'm not sure RailDriver would be capable of inverting controls - unless possibly there would be a loco-specific calibration. However, RailDriver has been in Beta since 2020 and no sign of it coming out of Beta. It does work with every loco, which was not originally the case in 2020-2021. But its limitations are the reason we see in every RailDriver post, someone who has built their own custom controller.

• Like Like x 1