PC Vr Support

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by EdmundV, Mar 21, 2018.

1. EdmundV

EdmundV New Member

Dare I say it? I can't seem to find any posts regarding VR support whereas, on Steam Forms, there is an abundance of people asking if and when you are going to implement this.

I see that you are interested in VR but I see no definitive answers when asked if you plan this. I am a keen Flight & Train Sim enthusiast and cannot see myself going back to 2D after sampling the delights and immersiveness of VR in both flying and trains (Derail Valley demo shows what is achievable and can be done very well).

Please tell me that VR is not far away as my Train Sim World software is garnering little usage these days as I wait in vain for the support which is needed , and provided I might add, by the other big games of the flight sim genre.

Thanks.....

• Like Like x 2
  2. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

With all the current problems getting decent fps consistently I think you can forget about VR support in TSW for a few years.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

And the game editor seems to me more important than the VR.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Bookman60

Bookman60 New Member

I also keep wondering why the two newest versions of the game lack VR support. I've been enjoying a variety of games in VR with my new Oculus and am very frustrated that both RW and TSW lack any support for VR.

Could someone official respond please?

Thank you

5. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  6. Lombra

Lombra Well-Known Member

That might be the underlying issue, yes, but it's not really relevant. People playing simulators are much more likely to have a VR headset than the average player. Simulators are a perfect fit for VR (though TSW complicates things some by having the ability to walk around freely), and a relatively large portion of racing and flight sims have VR support for this reason. All the interactable controls in TSW makes it even better a fit.

That being said, since they don't even have any peripheral support beyond Xbox gamepads, I don't anticipate VR support coming anytime soon, if ever.

• Like Like x 2
  7. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

Kinda is relevant when your committing dev time for a user base of under 1%
    Don't get me wrong id love to see VR in TSW and I am sure its on the list of things that will one day makes it way in. Right now though I can understand why its not high on the must have list for DTG.
    There is also the other key issue with VR right now, the resolution..... in my opinion its simply far to low for signage to be readable at the required distances in cab right now.

Totally agree however that simulation/seated experience is suited brilliantly to VR.

8. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I have to agree with ASRGT on this one - I am an avid user of Vr for flight simulation since you can get the real "feel" of motion and height - so for shooting circuits around my local airfield and some simple crosscountry IFR flying - (IFR in the sense of I follow roads) I will use my Vr rig. But the resolution is such that interacting with instruments - reading gauges and the such is so difficult, I find for those type flights I revert back to the 2D and trackIR. Vr is a fantastic technology but if you want to enjoy the high fidelity scenery of TSW, I am afraid with the current generation of Vr gear - the experience would be lacking especially with the screen door effect of most Vr systems.

Derail Valley is a Vr only train simulation that does provide a great preview of what one could expect. I do enjoy the immersion, but when trying to read the route diagrams and follow the train orders, once again the limited resolution limits the enjoyment.

While several Vr games capture my attention for hours on end such as Skyrim, Fallout 4, Moss and several others - I am not a big proponent for its inclusion in TSW or TS201X until the resolution improves in the next generation hardware.

• Like Like x 4
  9. keio6000

keio6000 New Member

sorry, but this 'installed user base' argument is not relevant. this '1% oculus user base' represents all steam users including those who just play first person shooter games or whatever. of course relatively few of them would have oculus. now, ask yourself what percentage of SERIOUS SIMULATOR users have vr headsets. when we consider serious simulator users, the number jumps up significantly. When we limit this further to simulator users who buy things (as opposed to those who just play free to play games like war thunder) this jumps up significantly. Finally, you have to ask yourself about the types of people who buy vr - they are almost by definition the best, richest, and 'spendiest' customers - exactly that which a game like TS with its non-free add-ons needs.

train sims and vr are the most obvious pairing ever.

the major train sims not having vr yet is completely stupid. i have totally stopped playing train sim games and just every few months check to see whether the devs have finally begun work on this absolutely vital upgrade.

• Like Like x 3
  10. LeadCatcher

I must have forgotten all my statistics over the past 60 something years, but when you start with 1 percent of something, then further refine the selection criteria, you usually end up with a much smaller sample size. So if the rest of the assumptions are correct, it is still a small percentage. And I do question the assumption of that a high percentage of serious simmers own VR headsets and those that do use them in their simulations.

With over 4000 hours in TS, several hundred hours in various flight simulations and a couple of hundred in TSW, I think I would fall into that category of a “Serious Simmer”, but yet choose not to spend much time using my VR headset for the reasons I mentioned my previous post. So I discount the comment that a simulation as being “stupid” not to include VR when there are many more important features needed to improve the simulation such as information systems, realistic vehicle traffic, more and varied rolling stock and locomotives.

Derail Valley is now in early access, and as a VR entertainment game, I think it is great, but as a serious train simulation, not so much. Still it is fun for the VR experience but doesn’t have the depth of operations I look for in a simulation.

• Like Like x 2
  11. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

So this "SERIOUS SIMULATOR user" doesn't play train simulator games anymore because they don't support VR? Hardly what one might call a serious simulator user then!

• Like Like x 2
  12. keio6000

keio6000 New Member

indeed, you have clearly forgotten your statistics. because the reality is that the 1% number samples all steam users. if we restrict the number of those with oculus headsets to 'just simulator users' or 'just users who have relatively more money to spend' then suddenly this market looks much more attractive.

the rest of your message consists of your ignorant and selfish 'argument from personal experience.' since you don't personally find VR to be appealing, then therefore other things must be more appealing for everybody. it's a dumb argument and i feel dumber and less handsome just for having read it.

with regards to derail valley, again, look well above your head for you have missed the point there too. the point that i am making is that even though it is a game and not a sim, train fans are flocking to it exactly because it offers a vr experience.

i find your arguments to be comically bad. and if you detect a sharp tone in my response to you, it's only because you so clearly deserve it given both your tone to me and the abject paucity of your 'counterarguments.'

• Like Like x 3
  13. keio6000

keio6000 New Member

umm, serious simulator users, or at least some of them, move on to other products that do support vr. seriously this is really not that hard. go look at the world of flight sims and see what has happened to any sim that doesnt support vr. you'd be hard pressed to find any that aren't dead. again - the richest, most dedicated, and most spendy of flight sim users are the ones that use vr. are there exceptions? sure. but in the main, this is certainly the case. even stuff like euro truck simulator is now played lagely in vr. while i get it that vr is not for everybody, if that genius LeadCatcher can argue from his data set of one then so can i - i have personally stopped playing train sim and more critically have stopped buying add ons and updates - because there is no VR. the game is dead to me until it supports it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

Do you have any data to those claims? Then please link them, else its just you opinion and nothing factual.

15. LeadCatcher

{rest of the quote that degenerate into nothing more than personal attacks deleted}

It is obvious you do not know how to carry on a discussion in a mature manner -- such rebuttals as yours to me do more to hurt your case than anything else. You throw out your opinions without backing them with facts and then attack any who do not agree with your opinions. So have fun with your triads -- I have better things to do than try and discuss a subject with someone that only want to argue.

I do hope you find something to occupy your tie than to argue in these forums.

16. asallen1

asallen1 New Member

Just read the papers at Mossley station on TSW. Says games coming to 3D. Is this a hidden hint of VR support?

17. saint.russian

saint.russian Member

I agree with Keio. 1% argument is not relevant because there is an overabundance of "nonsense" stuff on steam - games that I would never ever even look at (well only maybe if I was 10). If you consider specifically the Simulation (which is what TSW is), such as Flight, Driving, or Trains, you will find more serious people there, people that are more willing to invest some money into the hobby: buy DLCs, buy peripherals, buy a better PC or at least a gpu.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  18. LeadCatcher

Just for the record I do own aVR headset, and am a big fan of VR, but not convinced it would be the greatest thing to happen to TSW. I do like what VR does for first person immersion, but I like to use outside views a lot. Those are a bit disorientating when in VR.

In fact have been finding myself even using TrackIR less and less in TS2019 - no other reason than I find the mouse views more than adequate for my enjoyment.

I am all for them including VR - just do not see it as essential as others claim.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ljpriestley

ljpriestley New Member

I'm rely getting fed up with the whole 1% argument... is it really that big a deal. google it! there are approx 1 billion steam acounts and roughly 170 Million+ Oculus/Vive users where do people get this 1% bol lox from, VR is here to stay and with every release of new headset and cheaper options being made every year... why not go VR. i understand VR isn't for everyone but atleast make it available to those who want it even at extra cost to that player, if they want it then make them pay for it! i would! best example of a game that is not VR Supported but still as access to it is Euro Truck Simulator 2! Jus sayin!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Jack O'Track

Jack O'Track Active Member

Now about TrackIR? Without any USB controller functions probably not possible ..

21. saint.russian

saint.russian Member

Yes, I have the American Truck Simulator, and it works amazingly! It's NOT in a theater-like mode but as an actual full 1st person immersion. I only wish there was a way to move about more, and to walk around the world, around your truck, etc.

PS on a separate note, I love how ATS world is very alive with cars and people, and the map is HUGE and they keep expanding it. Sure it isn't at 1:1 scale (it's at 1/3), and not "perfect" physics, but I would take the Fun factor over Perfect every time.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  22. ljpriestley

ljpriestley New Member

I completely agree! There just something that feels so nice about sitting in a cab in VR and actually be able to look around as if you were there in person! Shame there’s no train sim or bus sim that comes close! I’d be all over that in a second!

• Like Like x 1
  23. Lombra

Lombra Well-Known Member

I agree with the rest of your post, but this number is just a blatant lie. It's closer to 10 million. The 1 % argument is fairly accurate, but it's always taken out of context is the problem.

24. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

A lot of this comes down to DTG's content parity policy between PC and Consoles. As it stands DTG already have to make compromises to get TSW to run to an acceptable standard on the Consoles, so there's no way they could introduce VR on this generation of consoles. If DTG can't implement a feature across all platforms then they won't implement it.

25. ljpriestley

ljpriestley New Member