Train Sim World 2 - First Look Metro Norths Harlem Line

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Mar 2, 2022.

1. steamfan#1309

steamfan#1309 Well-Known Member

NYC era after steam. We could have driven the 20th Century Limited, and besides every other known country (excluding Swiss, and Canadian routes) has a historic passenger route. It also would be something entirely different.

2. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

"one of the most famous passenger trains"

So famous I've never heard of it

3. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Lol :). Frankly as a person who uses metro north quite often, I wouldn't even consider the M3A or M7A "famous trains."

4. steamfan#1309

Where do you think the turn "Rolling out the red carpet" and "Red Carpet Treatment" came from.

5. tallboy7648

There aren't that many P32s that operate from wassic to grand central though.

• Like Like x 1
  6. steamfan#1309

Also so famous that you over look all the stuff that came from it. I believe that one amarican author wrote "The Orient Express of America".

7. solicitr

Centuries before trains were invented

• Like Like x 1
  8. solicitr

What? A commuter train? There never was anything here to rival the Orient Express, but if you want to toss out something like the 20th-Century Limited, it sure as heck wasn't an EMU with standee handles.

9. carter

carter Active Member

I hope that dovetail updates the horn for the M7 and M3 because when you compare it to real life there are many differences.

• Like Like x 4
  10. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

It was just one of the most prestigious express trains from NYC to Chicago.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I believe the 20th Century Limited used the Hudson Line tracks out of GCT as part of the " Water Level " route of the New York Central.
    It's Pennsy rival, " The Broadway Limited " is featured as an add-on to the TS Horseshoe Curve route.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mevans193

Mevans193 Well-Known Member

The 20th Century Limited took the Hudson Line out of New York, same route as modern day Lake Shore Limited. The Harlem Line has always been a commuter line.

• Like Like x 1
  13. solicitr

I thought the reference was to the M8! Which indeed I had never heard of before the hype for the Harlem line started.

Anyway, there is no prayer of having the 20CL on this route.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, just during rush hour. It would add a little more variety but I don't know how many in-game services they could use them for.

• Like Like x 1
  15. tallboy7648

A P32 would be more fitting for a Hudson line dlc in my opinion since there are more services on that route for the P32 than on the Harlem line

16. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

I have seen some P32AC-DM express trains operate during the weekends from GCT to either Southeast or Wassaic. If not a Maxi-Bomb consist (P32AC-DM & 6-7 Shoreliners) coming from GCT, there is usually a Mini-Bomb consist (BL20GH/GHM & 2-3 Shoreliners) that operate as a shuttle between Southeast-Wassaic. I agree, the more variety, the better to simulate the real life scenarios.

17. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Maybe if they do a Hudson Line in the future, they could feature the P32 for that route, then it could be an extra layer for Harlem Line as well.

• Like Like x 2
  18. dosto762

dosto762 Well-Known Member

Calling a M3A/M7A famous is like calling a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter one of the most fastest vehicles MB has produced!

• Like Like x 2
  19. solicitr

Right. Develop a whole new train just to provide a couple of AI services.
    Not.
    Gonna.
    Happen.

20. Crosstie

Pity they didn't choose the Hudson line. Sooo many future possibilities. Not only M7A commuter services, but Amtrak P32AC DM with numerous destinations and, not least, CSX SD 40-2 and Genset with freight yards and connection to the New Haven. Even if it just went as far as Croton-Harmon instead of Poughkeepsie.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  21. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

Hudson Line would have been a way better line to do instead of Harlem Because of the wonderful scenery there especially crossing different bridges and rivers, journeying from the city side, and then transitioning over to a suburban area, on top of that more variety train there are such as the P32 Genesis Cab, Shoreliner cab and car, M7A, M3A, Amtrak, Amtrak Acela, P32-AC-DM in DIfferent Livery.
    Is it because there are just too many trainset to do because of the different model for the team to make and produce which is the reason why they take the easy way out, or it something else? I really don't know who had the upper hand when come to choosing which Metro North line to work on.

Anyhow I really do hope if they do choose another American route they will choose the Hudson Line. :D

• Like Like x 2
  22. tallboy7648

Amtrak Acela doesn't run on the Hudson line. But I do agree though that the Harlem line shouldn't have been the first metro north route in the game. I assume they picked this line because this line was never made for Train Simulator. The Hudson and New Haven lines were. But it's better than getting no Metro-North route in my opinion even if it will give players a similar gameplay experience if you played LIRR.

I mean if the hudson line came first, the P32 would be the "new" train. The M7A and M3A only probably would've taken less work to make than a P32 since the M7 and M3 are in the game and would require minor changes to make them into a M7A and M3A. They wouldn't need to make a new body for instance

23. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

If only they could have made this route, the breathtaking scenery :(:D

24. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

If only they would extend the Harlem Line, to the southeast, we could also see another metro north trainset, Shoreliner Cab and Cars and P32-AC-DM :(:D

P32-AC-DM
    [​IMG]

Shoreliner Cab and Car
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  25. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

Another skyscraper view near 125th st Harlem Line
    [​IMG]

26. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I do agree it would've been lovely if the route were longer. But I'm still interested for the M3/M7 action.

• Like Like x 1
  27. malikrthr

I am just stating the differences in variety and what is normally encountered on the line. If you are saying that, then explain how the M2/M4 EMU's were developed for the New Haven Line in TS20XX several years after the M8 EMU for a few extra scenarios. Did The devs not create the LIRR M3 for TSW 1 year after the LIRR route was released? They did, so If they can do that, then it is definitely possible for them to introduce the P32AC-DM/Shoreliners with additional services sometime after the release of the route

• Like Like x 1
  28. Crosstie

Well, if wishes were horses, as they say.

We're very unlikely to see the Hudson or New Haven lines or, indeed, any extension to Harlem in the foreseeable future.

So, let's just enjoy the upcoming Harlem line and hope that it has a busy timetable and the true feel of the real life route with the appropriate scenery and landmark structures, well made trains, accurate sounds, signalling and safety features and good lighting.
    Seems like a lot to ask.:D

• Like Like x 7
  29. SubwayRailfanner

SubwayRailfanner Well-Known Member

We have no choice but to just to accept it as much I want the P32. Let's just hope Metro-North gets M9A so it can open the door for a DLC for the Harlem Line. Another thing I hope is that doors dont open on short platforms like LIRR does and make AI Honk there horns before arriving at the station.

• Like Like x 2
  30. metro north railfan 224

metro north railfan 224 Active Member

I was also thinking too the Danbury branch because I actually live five minutes away from that line.

• Like Like x 3
  31. tallboy7648

Funny enough, when the m3 released for lirr, it was the same year all Budd M3 Emu trains were retiring from service and were replaced by the M9 emu

• Like Like x 1
  32. malikrthr

Agreed, I definitely look forward and plan on enjoying the upcoming Harlem line. It looks great from the screenshots and I am confident that it will run well. I am glad that the Metro North was considered for TSW2

• Like Like x 2
  33. SubwayRailfanner

SubwayRailfanner Well-Known Member

If anything take the MBTA Loco and coaches and create a metro north livery. You can run it in scenario planner. Best option we have.

• Like Like x 1
  34. tallboy7648

I won a $20 Xbox gift card not too long ago and I haven't used it. So if i were to buy this route, I'll only spend $9.99 on it. So I'll probably get it once feedback comes in. With the shortened length I'm glad i don't gotta spend $30 for it.

35. Random Railfan

For sure, they run them a lot on the Hudson (but we'll have to wait and see if we get it in TSW2 :))

• Like Like x 1
  36. pnaw10

pnaw10 New Member

And I can't see the half-hearted effort having me tripping over myself to buy the DLC. Last I checked, DTG is a business and should be putting out a quality product so people want to buy it.

I just don't understand, they'll model every passage in every station of the Bakerloo Line inside and out but we can't get the entire railroad line? I'd much rather have the entire rail line down as a first priority... I'm not that big on walking around the stations. I want to drive the trains, and more than 23 miles of track, please.

Granted, I wouldn't expect the entire LIRR in one fell swoop, but at least the LIRR went to a terminal station. North White Plains is not a terminal. It's the original end of electrification, but in 1984, the third rails were extended to Southeast (as Trainz Classics did, over 10 years ago). As much as I'd love to see the entire line to Wassaic, I'd still be happy settling for Southeast and the yard there. Disappointed this is going to be yet another Metro North simulation where you'll reach a point that the train has to stop, even though the tracks should keep going.

I'll give them credit for the New Haven Line in TS -- although 2 of the branches are missing, I'm still impressed they did GCT all the way to New Haven. The Hudson Line is just as long (74 miles) and has no branches, so I'm puzzled as to why DTG only modeled it as far as Croton-Harmon, leaving the other half of the line as if it doesn't exist.

• Like Like x 4
  37. malikrthr

The good thing in TS, there is an steam add on, that extends the Hudson Line up to Albany, but there are only QD scenarios, there is also a steam add on, that adds the Waterbury Branch and Danbury Branches of the New Haven Line but I believe it is a Work in Progress

• Like Like x 1
  38. tallboy7648

There was a extension made by someone for the Hudson line that extends the line to Poughkeepsie and Albany. Sadly since there is no public editor the Harlem line won't get any sort of extension. Grand central is a terminal station but i do agree that the line should've went to southeast but it is what it is.

The route will probably be out in 2 weeks anyways so i'm looking forward to see how the route is

• Like Like x 1
  39. metro north railfan 224

metro north railfan 224 Active Member

I would anticipate that it will be released March 17th considering they are doing a preview stream on Thursday the 10th and they usually release it a week later. They usually do the preview streams a week in advance before release.

• Like Like x 2
  40. solicitr

Yes, DTG is a business. What that means, among other things, is not selling products at a loss. So, they can sell this route for $30- or sell the route you want for $75. Which is the preferable business strategy? (No, "the whole route for thirty bucks" is not an option).

• Like Like x 2
  41. Random Railfan

Kind of playing devil's advocate here, but a good chunk of the Harlem Line's trains do terminate at Crestwood (south of White Plains) and North White as well. Both of those are considered termini of the Harlem Line.

• Like Like x 3
  42. steamfan#1309

It wasn't a rival. It was an American equivalent.
    It came from the New York Central and was where they received there moto.

43. solicitr

The red carpet as a special path of honor for kings and other dignitaries goes back to ancient Greece; Aeschylus references it.

• Like Like x 3
  44. steamfan#1309

But the saying came from the tradition of rolling out the red carpet before passengers boarded

45. NateDogg7a

NateDogg7a Well-Known Member

Not playing devil's advocate, more like just being rational. I don't know what the thought process at DTG was, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't, "We could do a longer route, but let's not because we're too cheap/greedy/lazy." You are right, North White Plains does represent a logical endpoint. I like the route the way it is; I seldom have the time for longer runs, and I don't see that an extension to Southeast would add that much besides total length. My personal feeling is that DTG created the route at this length in order to do a really bang-up job. Time will tell: however what I don't see is how statements such as "I'm glad somebody gifted me money so I don't have to pay full price for this too-short route" are helpful, useful, productive, or even necessarily kind. Don't buy the route if your don't like it; I suppose if enough people feel that way then DTG or TSW2 will fail but let's be honest, they haven't failed yet so you not buying this DLC will probably not be what breaks them.

• Like Like x 6
  46. tallboy7648

Then London commuter should've been $75 with your logic. The full electrified section of the harlem line is 53 miles with 31 stations. London commuter is 50 miles with 30 stations

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  47. tallboy7648

So it would be kind to pay full price and not buy dlc's when they are discounted? I guess people shouldn't by dlc's at a lower price because it isn't kind. I guess when players buy dlc's on a sale that isn't kind. There are many people who like to get dlc's at a lower price. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Your logic is frankly ridiculous

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
  48. NateDogg7a

NateDogg7a Well-Known Member

As far as what I would like to see:
    1) MetLife building, iconic, would like for it to be there, don't see it being a difficult inclusion
    2) PIS, this really needs to work
    3) Hudson Line AI should be there. P32 through services are not that many, so I won't miss them. As for the New Haven line AI, I would love to see it, but not with the wrong rolling stock, so guess I can do without.
    However, my personal biggie is the font for the station names. NEC-BP only uses some sort of stock DTG font for most of its stations, and to me it looks terrible. It's even worse because they actually use the correct MBTA-style font at Ruggles and Back Bay, and it looks great. MN uses a very recognizable bold font for their stations, and this is something that obviously effects every single stop on the line, plus I don't see any real reason why it can't be done, so I hope we do get to see this.

49. tallboy7648

The trains that terminate at Crestwood happen mostly during rush hour to get trains back into the city. As for North White Plains, it's for the local services

• Like Like x 1
  50. Random Railfan

Yeah I reeeeeeally hope they replicate the font correctly

• Like Like x 2