Question

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Zander34, Feb 25, 2022.

1. Zander34

Zander34 Member

Does the LGBT flag and Confederate battle flag fall under the offensive content rule in the terms and conditions

2. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

cant imagine why the first would

not entirely sure on the second, I know there’s a lot of people who say it should and shouldn’t, but I’m from UK so it’s not something that usually falls on our radar of social awareness

3. Zander34

Zander34 Member

Well some people find the LGBT flag as offensive I know.

4. AtherianKing

I don’t doubt some will;

but does U.K. law which dovetail must follow = no

Does dovetail have a policy for this = Haven’t checked, but strongly doubt

with them being no then I can’t see where dovetail must remove this content

5. frabjousvector

frabjousvector Well-Known Member

well, seeing as Dovetail literally included the Trainbow in the SEHS pack, I doubt they’d remove that. On the other hand, a much larger of people find the Confederate flag offensive, as it directly connotes slavery. That’s just my political qualms getting in the way though.

• Like Like x 3
  6. AtherianKing

To the best of my knowledge The United States of America has got to be the only country what has national pride represented through its praise of its enemy’s flag

• Like Like x 2
  7. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Former enemy, who were then incorporated.
    And if you look at it that way the same would be true of the Union Flag of the UK where Scotland, England's oldest enemy, provides the blue background and the white diagonals from it's Saltire flag

• Like Like x 1
  8. AtherianKing

Only really a “former” enemy as it doesn’t exist whereas Scotland and England both do and only have political disputes now not war, sure it can be easily argued they were at war but it had been for vastly different reasons resulting in a different perspective of what it was about

and the Union flag is designed for that whereas the flag of the United States shows nothing of a Union with the confederation

Scotland also was not a breakaway state to the best of my knowledge so can only be compared to England as much as any other place it went to war with, apart from it’s close proximity, also not very popular if it does exist to praise Scotland as a symbol of England national identity

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
  9. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Except for the colours & stars generally... Not similar at all...

10. AtherianKing

The flag was designed in 1950’s under Eisenhower Administration

13 stripes for the former British colonies
    50 stars one for each member state, not to represent the confederate
    Colours are popular symbol for republics I believe, not sure on the entire reason

the flag was originally designed for an education project not the government, it was only given a results grade of B at the time

don’t see confederate written anywhere in it …

11. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Oh no, we’re talking about flags again. I should imagine that the confederate flag would not be welcomed but the pride flag would be encouraged because the former is a symbol of slavery (a bad thing) and the latter is a symbol of acceptance (a good thing).

• Like Like x 2
  12. apophis55

apophis55 Active Member

I better keep watch on this thread and get my popcorn. This is a drama waiting to happen....

• Like Like x 1
  13. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

It is possible that the LGBT Flag is banned, not through any prejudicial reasons but purely because someone holds the copyright and permission for its use hasn’t been received.

14. AtherianKing

the flags creator never applied for copyright protection, so it doesn’t fall into that area

• Like Like x 1
  15. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

???
    The Eisenhower "re-design" was to incorporate the statehood of Alaska and Hawaii, and was really only about how the star field would be arranged to suit the 50 states. The "stars and stripes" design has been pretty consisent from 1776 onwards, just with the arrangements of the stars (and for a few years, the adoption of 15 stripes rather than 13) changing from time to time.

16. AtherianKing

not sure entirely on what you are referring to ?

I wasn’t trying to debate any flag originating points except that the current USA flag is not representative of the confederate

17. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

Just seemed like you were implying that the US flag design only dated to the 1950s (whilst yes that was the last time it _changed_, it was incredibly minor and barely different to the flags of the previous ~150 years)

18. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

I understand what you say but you don’t have to apply for copyright. It is automatic. However, I get that the copyright owner may allow its use generally.

19. AtherianKing

I believe the owner passed away the other year, in relation to copyright the owner took legal action in the 70s to prevent a group from copyrighting it, they wanted its use not to fall under that criteria

-quote from information regarding copyright of the flag-

“an interesting fact is that it cannot be a trademarked symbol. When Baker created the flag he intentionally didn't trademark the flags design, explaining he had created the flag for everyone and wanted it to remain free for public use”

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022