I Need Help With Applying The Ap Weather Enhancement Pack To A Route

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blazin, Mar 8, 2022.

1. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

I've been trying to apply the AP Weather Enhancement Pack to Cajon Pass but it won't work. I followed the instructions in the manual, copy the .bin files from the AP Weather Enhancement Pack folder, and paste them into the route TimeOfDay folder, and if I have to I rename them (Which I did). So I did all this and went back into the game to see that Cajon Pass weather has not been affected. The sky remains the same. Can somebody help me please?

2. Rob Jansen

Rob Jansen Well-Known Member

According to the Routeproperties.xml the Sky blueprint is located in:

Assets\Kuju\RailsimulatorUS\TimeOfDay

And with the regular names, so just copy/paste the .bin files and it should work.

<Skies>
    <cRouteBlueprint-sSkies>
    <SpringSkyBlueprint>
    <iBlueprintLibrary-cAbsoluteBlueprintID>
    <BlueprintSetID>
    <iBlueprintLibrary-cBlueprintSetID>
    <Provider d:type="cDeltaString">kuju</Provider>
    <Product d:type="cDeltaString">railsimulatorus</Product>
    </iBlueprintLibrary-cBlueprintSetID>
    </BlueprintSetID>
    <BlueprintID d:type="cDeltaString">TimeOfDay\Spring.xml</BlueprintID>
    </iBlueprintLibrary-cAbsoluteBlueprintID>
    </SpringSkyBlueprint>

It seems the location with in the CajonPass asset folder isn't used and those files.

3. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

There's no TimeOfDay folder in the RailsimulatorUS folder.
    5bb42f4813eea28d07b033015ec9d7ba.png

Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
  4. Rob Jansen

Then create the TimeOfDay folder and copy the files inside ;)

Because the original TimeOfDay folder is inside the .AP file.

TS prefers files outside of the .AP file, so if you ever install repaints and people tell you to extract the 'ap' file, you can ignore the line, as it first loads the files outside the .AP file and then if a file can't be found, it loads it from within.

5. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

I just made the folder, copied the Armstrong Powerhouse Weather files into it, named then normally and Cajon Pass still didn't change, I also tried re-naming them again to what the ones in the Cajon Pass folder were and that didn't work either.

6. Rob Jansen

The it seems that the AP weather doesn't work on this route.
    As this is the correct procedure for other routes.

7. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

If you create the folder, it should work. I may try sometime; I just have not yet installed the weather pack.

8. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I use Donner Passes' ToD files in conjunction with the Core sky.GeoPcDx for Cajon now. Copied them to RailSimulatorCore, adjusted them, gave them another filename, and adjusted the SanBarst.bin template route to use them. Core because it's the only asset folder that doesn't need preloading and is always available. You can use any sky with any route, if you were to directly use, say Donner Pass sky and clouds, you could just reference them in the templateRoute. You must then add Provider RSC / Product DonnerPass to the RouteProperties for that to work.

I use these TimeOfDays for most routes with the "old" sky, for BLE, FortKent, OhioSteel, Strasburg, and Cajon. Also adjusted the ToD sky colours in Strasbourg Karlsruhe as there was way too much blue tint.

I do not have the AP weather enhancement but I'm pretty sure you can make it work on any route.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2022
  9. sphexi

sphexi Active Member

With the caveat that I don't have the AP Weather Pack yet, so I haven't tried the following. A modder over on TSC called LP Simulation has been creating "Overhauls" for various North American routes. They include application of the AP Weather Pack amongst other things. He hasn't done Cajon yet (and I don't know if/when he might do it in the future), but if you picked one of the routes that you do own, backed it up just in case, and then installed the Overhaul Pack. You should be able to compare the changes to see what was done to make the AP Weather work.

If you are interested the link to his releases is https://www.trainsimcommunity.com/author/lp-simulation.

10. sphexi

sphexi Active Member

11. frankoi1337

frankoi1337 Member

Just to make it clear : the folder you need to copy is the TimeOfDay folder (take it from Assets\AP\WeatherEP and paste it in Assets\Kuju\RailsimulatorUS)
    It might also be possible that the skies referenced in the RouteProperties.xml file are not the "real" ones.
    If it's the case, then the probable place where you should paste AP's TimeOfDay would be something like Assets\DTG\CajonPass (or a simillar name, I don't own this route...)

12. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Actually the sky geo and ToD's defined in the TemplateRoute override what's in the RouteProperties.

So for Cajon Pass you'd need to point to the AP ToD's in Kuju\RailSimulatorUS\TemplateRoutes\SanBarst.bin, which by default points to Kuju\RailsimulatorUS\TimeOfDay.

I've made my own ToDs and put them to RailSimulatorCore.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2022
  13. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

How can I edit the the SanBarst.bin file to point to the AP Weather Pack?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
  14. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Again, I don't have the AP pack, but I'm sure this should work.

1. Extract the TemplateRoutes\SanBarst.bin from the Kuju\RailsimulatorUSAssets.ap (to desktop for example)
    2. Create a shortcut on your desktop for RailWorks\Serz.exe
    3. Drag and Drop SanBarst.bin over the Serz.exe shortcut - it will create SanBarst.xml
    4. Load SanBarst.xml into Notepad++ (or any text editor that preserves encoding, in this case UTF-8)
    5. Locate the <Skies> section. This is where the four seasons are defined - they are responsible for the sky model and day/night cycle.
    6. For each season, replace "Kuju" with "AP", "RailsimulatorUS" with "WeatherEP"
    7. Replace "TimeOfDay\Spring|Summer|Autumn|Winter.xml" with the names of the AP Weather Enhancement pack season filenames. I do not know them, you have to check that out yourself.
    8. Save your file, drag it over Serz.exe shortcut again (delete the original SanBarst.bin first from your desktop as it is write protected and you won't get the updated bin file otherwise)
    9. Go to Assets\Kuju\RailsimulatorUS. Create a folder "TemplateRoutes" there (next to the .ap file)
    10. Put you new SanBarst.bin in there.
    11. Delete blueprints.pak in the RailsimulatorUS folder.

Now there's some more work to do (not difficult). As we use a different sky GeoPcDx now, we have to tell the RouteProperties.xml that we use it. Otherwise you'll end up in darkness.

12. Open RailWorks\Content\Routes\76b3a3f0-c9b0-48f2-9eff-1af9b00166d6\RouteProperties.xml
    13. Look for this section at the bottom of the file
    Code:
        <RBlueprintSetPreLoad>
           <iBlueprintLibrary-cBlueprintSetID d:id="209465384">
               <Provider d:type="cDeltaString">Kuju</Provider>
               <Product d:type="cDeltaString">RailSimulatorUS</Product>
       </RBlueprintSetPreLoad>
       <AuthoredLanguage d:type="cDeltaString">en</AuthoredLanguage>
       <Version d:type="sFloat32" d:alt_encoding="000000000000F03F" d:precision="string">1</Version>
       <TimeZone d:type="sFloat32" d:alt_encoding="0000000000000000" d:precision="string">0</TimeZone>
       <SummerTime d:type="sFloat32" d:alt_encoding="000000000020AC40" d:precision="string">3600</SummerTime>
       <HasSpeedsigns d:type="bool">1</HasSpeedsigns>
    14. Add the following so it looks like this
    Code:
        <RBlueprintSetPreLoad>
           <iBlueprintLibrary-cBlueprintSetID d:id="209465384">
               <Provider d:type="cDeltaString">Kuju</Provider>
               <Product d:type="cDeltaString">RailSimulatorUS</Product>
           <iBlueprintLibrary-cBlueprintSetID d:id="210000000">
               <Provider d:type="cDeltaString">AP</Provider>
               <Product d:type="cDeltaString">WeatherEP</Product>
       </RBlueprintSetPreLoad>
       <AuthoredLanguage d:type="cDeltaString">en</AuthoredLanguage>
       <Version d:type="sFloat32" d:alt_encoding="000000000000F03F" d:precision="string">1</Version>
       <TimeZone d:type="sFloat32" d:alt_encoding="0000000000000000" d:precision="string">0</TimeZone>
       <SummerTime d:type="sFloat32" d:alt_encoding="000000000020AC40" d:precision="string">3600</SummerTime>
       <HasSpeedsigns d:type="bool">1</HasSpeedsigns>
    15. Save it. (Always a good idea to make a backup first!)

Making changes to templateRoutes require a restart.

Hope this helps! (Can't test it myself but that's the procedure. I used Donner Pass TimeOfDay this way.)

And don't be confused. The weather you set in the scenario editor only controls if there are clouds, rain, fog, etc. - the TimeOfDay files control how that weather actually looks.

Of course 3D weather is completely independent from the above settings. It uses its own sky model, only checking the latitude/longitude of the route's origin and the scenario date.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2022
  15. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

Thanks, and I’m just wondering could I also use RW Tools instead of something like Notepad++ to alter the file?

16. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

For text files, it's usually easier to edit this way. I've changed descriptions and such this way. But be careful what you edit; I think I accidentally cancelled a service editing this file once.

Also, you will want to try to run the scenario again in-game after any external update. I have found an external update invalidates it for Workshop until you run it again within the game and save it, or clone it. Might have something to do with files being from different dates and times.

17. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for not being affiliated with how any of this works but how do I extract SanBarst.bin from the USAssets.ap file? Also if you are actually referring to getting SanBarst.bin from an actual folder, I can't seem to find it. The only one I can find is SanBarst2.bin located in the Cajon Pass folder.

18. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I'll do a patch for you and post it here. If you're not sure about this procedure you should not mess with the files yourself.

What I need from you is the filenames of Assets\AP\WeatherEP\TimeOfDay. Can you give me a directory listing? Or screenshot of that folder's contents?

19. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

06515aa48205686eb14230979391b93e.png
    Here you go and thanks in advance.

20. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Here you go. After you copied the files (backups are included), clear the game's cache.

Just drag the two folders over your RailWorks folder.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  21. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

Thanks so much also if it's okay with you if I ever need to get routes that I can't add the AP Weather Pack too could you add a patch for those if I ever need one? It's okay if not as I don't want to waste your time.

22. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Have you checked if it actually works? Feel free to ask, this stuff only takes me minutes.

23. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

Yes I did check, it works perfectly, thanks again.

24. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

I hope no one minds my comments below but the above is the most convoluted and unnecessary set up I have ever seen to apply AP Weather EP to any scenario in any route. You do NOT need to edit or change any \STEAM\steamapps\common\RailWorks\Assets\Kuju\RailsimulatorUS bin files or any other file except the name change as listed below.

Richard Armstrong has written a very comprehensive manual and if that is followed you can apply AP Weather EP to any route very simply.

First you must select the correct AP Time of Day files:

1) Go to the ASSETS folder for the relevant route and find the folder called ‘TimeOfDay’. If there is no folder called this, find the ‘template’ blueprint for the route which is usually in a folder called ‘TemplateRoutes’. Open this blueprint and see where the TimeOfDay blueprints are located and go there.

2) Go to your RailWorks directory and navigate to Assets\AP\WeatherEP\TimeOfDay.

3) Copy the four .bin files in this folder named after each season and paste them into the TimeOfDay folder (in the ASSETS Folder) of your chosen route. If the naming convention differs for the relevant route, re-name accordingly so the new files match the naming of the old.
    time of day files AP.png

These are the AP ToD files note the date and size – no other TOD should be used.

In the case of Cajon Pass the ToD folder and files are here:

time of day files AP.png ToD Cajon Pass.png time of day files AP.png ToD Cajon Pass.png

The TOD Files in the copied AP ToD files should be renamed as above. Note the dates on the original files but these should change to the 2018 date as shown above.

Once that is done you should now choose a scenario that you wish to apply the AP Weather EP to. See Page 26 of the manual and this uses the inbuilt BUILD editor in TS2022.

Note you have to edit each scenario that you wish to change the weather it does NOT apply to the ROUTE universally.

Further Weather extensions built into the original scenario may also stop AP Weather EP from working but these can be removed via TS Tools if needed.

That’s it and you do that for every scenario that you want to change the weather. Not all of the weather patterns work especially in QD scenarios, but the manual explains that

There is a method of applying AP Weather EP vis TS_Tools but that is slightly complicated and not endorsed by Richard Armstrong.

Some 3rd party routes/scenarios use the KUJU weather so you need to ensure the Kuju ToD files are changed to the AP ones.

I have a pdf file showing the process step by step which I can post on DropBox if anyone is interested.
    Sorry about the placement of the image files - I just could not get in the correct part of the text! pH

25. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

Well I wanted the weather to be applied universally and not only to specific scenarios, and torfmeister helped with applying it universally so I think his method was necessary. (And I don't even know how to edit specific scenarios anyway as I have never really touched the route builder editor)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
  26. Peter Hayes

Blazin
    I see - I was only giving you the AP method of using the AP Weather EP for scenarios so my apologies.
    You also stated that you 'could not add Routes to AP Weather AP' - my method shows the official way to do that.
    So how are you going to change the weather for each scenario, if the weather is set UNIVERSALLY - how will you change that?
    Or, are you saying you want it to be rainy (or foggy or windy or whatever) in every scenario?
    If any CP default scenarios have weather extensions installed that could be quite interesting!
    pH

27. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

Well what I want from this is that the normal default weather be replaced with AP Weather, so for example it will change default rainy weather to AP rainy weather and stuff like that and change the default skies in American routes to the AP skies with the AP Weather Pack which look much better. I may have misunderstood your question though. So I won't have the same weather on every scenario and on Quick Drive I just change the weather with the weather selection.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
  28. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

1. Assets\RSC\CajonPass is not used. Changing TOD files here won't make a difference.
    2. Weather blueprints are independent from ToD files - weather defines what weather you have and ToD how it will look.

29. Peter Hayes

Blazin
    I see now - Good Luck - I hope it works!
    I would love to see some before and after screenshots, as Torf's method is quite different to the one that I use.
    pH

30. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

This method is universal - if you like say Tehachapi's sky colouring, you could also redirect to this in the template. Would you just copy the season files, the Sky.GeoPcDx and Sun Moon Clouds texture path would be wrong, that's why I use this method.
    And the RailsimulatorUS sky.GeoPcDx is broken, shown in another thread.

31. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

Before (Default Weather / Sky)
    EMD SD75 (BNSF 2).jpg
    After (AP Weather / Sky)
    20220320133346_1.jpg
    The clouds in the after screenshot do look a bit too bright, but this is because this is just default quick drive weather at a time of 12:00, in scenarios the clouds look darker and more realistic.

32. Peter Hayes

Torf
    I understand your rationale but why write a script that changes .bin files when you can achieve the same effect in the TS2022 build editor?

You say ToD files are not important but they are when using AP Weather EP - installing and using the app correctly means that you need the specific AP ToD files in the route files. AP weather will not work if they are not present. In the routes that AP supports these ToD files are automatically changed. I never said or implied that these had anything to do with the weather! My answer above was taken from the official manual.

You say above, " I don't have the AP pack, ", - so how do you know how AP applies their Sky and Weather Pack and your code above won't affect the running of this quite complicated piece of software?

33. Peter Hayes

These are the sort of pictures that I would have liked to see:
    Using the JT Kyle Line and a Standard Scenario with clear weather (default) in the first screenshot:

In the second pic I set the weather to foggy using the prescribed AP method.

the kyle line weather clear.png ts kyle scenario now showing foggy.png
    pH

34. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Why keep bashing me, I helped Blazin get rid of the buggy US skydome - and he now has the beautiful AP clouds.
    As I understand, Cajon is not officially supported by AP - hence my method.

A ToD file can't break code cause it only contains:
    Which Sky GeoPcDx to use
    Which Clouds, Sun, Moon, Stars texture
    Number of Moon Phases
    Sun & Moon Azimuths and glare sizes
    And the different sky gradient colours for Night, Dawn, Morning, Noon, Afternoon, Evening etc...
    No reference to any script file.

Nothing code-breaking here.

I don't have WeatherEP - you don't have Cajon it seems. And Blazin got helped. ;)

I do not know if this brings full functionality for AP weather, but it is an improvement for CP nevertheless.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2022
  35. Peter Hayes

Torf
    I am not "bashing" merely putting another point of view? Is that not allowed?
    BTW I purchased CP in 2012 - use it very rarely but I can change the weather to AP weather without doing what you propose just using the AP manual.
    I'm glad Blazin was helped - he/she will now be able to use the full AP weather effects to great advantage.
    pH

36. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

Hi torfmeister, if you can could you please make a patch like you did for Cajon Pass but for Montana Hi-Line with the AP Weather Pack? I'll let you know that I did the normal step, add the TimeOfDay folder with the files but that didn't work and there isn't any folder called "TemplateRoutes" so I don't know if I have to rename the weather files in the TimeOfDay folder because of that. I would appreciate your help. :)

37. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Just a note. It seems AP is only supplying ONE set of season files. Is that correct?

As a side note, this means you have the same sunrise/sunset times and sun azimuth in the south (Cajon Pass) as in the north (Montana). Hmmm.

With my method, the AP Weather blueprints should be globally available on this route. Can you just create a simple FreeRoam scenario using one of those AP-specific weather blueprints (means NOT "2. Cloudy" ;) ) and post a screenshot?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  38. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

I'll be able to post a picture of a Quick Drive scenario with Winter Season and Snowy weather when I get home. (I assume that's what you want). I'm not 100% sure what you mean by AP is supplying one set of season files but I assume you mean that there is only one file for each season, and yes there is only one file for each season that I can see. All I've been really doing is following the instructions on the manual. For example like I have mentioned before it just says copy and paste the Summer, Winter, Autumn and Spring files into a TimeOfDay folder on the route you want the weather to change.

39. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

I got home and installed your patch but the weather seems to remain the same. Here's a screenshot. I have also reset the Cache but that didn't work.
    20220325123512_1.jpg
    And here are 2 screenshots of different weather on Cajon Pass and Marias Pass (I was able to install it myself onto Marias Pass)
    Winter - Cloudy Snow
    20220325123643_1.jpg
    Autumn - Stormy
    20220325124056_1.jpg

40. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Hmm. You should have more weather blueprints available. Does the AP\WeatherEP folder not contain a Weather subfolder with various .bins? These should be available in the editor, as the pack gets loaded with the route.

Can anyone owning the AP pack tell what the DisplayNames of the EP specific weather blueprints are?

For example, RailSimulatorCore\Weather\RW_Cloudy.bin is displayed in the editor as 2. Cloudy.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2022
  41. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

Hi torfmeister , not to worry anymore since I discovered 7zip. I watched a tutorial and I extracted the ap file and managed to rename the weather files accordingly for Montana Hi-Line and I just checked and it works now.

42. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Okee dokee. You should have the AP weather available in the scenario editor. Just scroll down the listview...

43. Peter Hayes

Torf
    This is a screenshot of some of the AP Weather EP types.

AP Weather EP.png

44. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Thank you Peter.

45. addry#6825

addry#6825 Well-Known Member

I cant even see templateroutes...