Class 158/159 Train Add On And Route Add On

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by seanpward, Mar 7, 2022.

1. seanpward

seanpward Active Member

This is a suggestion for 2 different routes that both include the class 158/159 DMU. Both routes are in the South west of England.

Westbury to Southampton Central.

Exeter St David's to Okehampton.

Start first with the Exeter to oakhampton. This is a fairly scenic route snakimg its way through the Devon countryside. My original thoughts were for the SWR class 159 DMU to run this route if the listening wouldn't be a major problem. Oakhampton is a historic station in itself with many old features that would look really good in game. Exeter St David's already has a depot which is ideal for having terminating trains. Although it is gwr, trains could still move onto the siding at the end of the station like in reality.

The Westbury to Southampton Central runs through the heart of Somerset into sorrounding county Wiltshire. This route would use GWR's Class 158 DMU. Licensing here wouldn't be as hard to get I would imagine as GWR already has the class 43 HST and the class 166 in game. The class 166 could also be subbed in now and then for the class 158 as it sometimes runs instead of the 158. This is equally scenic running through the hills and fields before hitting sailsbury and then dashing onto Southampton Central. This route could be started from Bradford upon Avon but just to keep the route manageable, I thought Westbury would be a good starting point also because if the sidings also making it possible to have some class 66 freight action from local quarries as well as terminating passenger trains as the sidings are used for both.

Photos are below. The maps were as close as I could get. The Westbury to Southampton map wouldn't have the bus link obviously in game as there currently is work being done to the track.

Please let me know what you guys think of this and if it would be a good route

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 9
  2. sophieclarke1983

sophieclarke1983 Well-Known Member

Good idea in principle but tbh not very confident in sprinter implementation given class 150 still doesn’t sound anything like it should

3. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Starting at Bradford on Avon would be kind of pointless. Bristol to Salisbury or Westbury to Southampton would be more logical end points.

For the 159, why not a section of the LSW main line west of Salisbury towards Exeter, though as usual this faces the perennial problem of being just a bit too long (at around 80 miles) to fit comfortably with DTG's paradigm? In any event, those of us of a certain generation, should this line make it into TSW, would want to run Class 33 and Class 50 loco hauled services, rather than Sprinters.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Does the Class 158 run regularly down to Paignton? The Riviera Line would be a fantastic route to have in TSW.

5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

And ripe for all sorts of layers, all the way through from Steam, classic diesels/DMU's, second gen Pacers, 150's, 153's and 155's.

6. seanpward

seanpward Active Member

I totally get that because I have noticed that too...but I was more keen for the 158 to be added rather than the 150... But it does make sence what you are saying

• Like Like x 1
  7. seanpward

seanpward Active Member

This is very true as I would expect there to be layers on this as well like many of the British lines in general even if it is a rail tour

8. seanpward

seanpward Active Member

I'm not too sure but the overall concept sounds good

9. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

yes

• Like Like x 1
  10. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Oh yes, i totally support this suggestion. Both of them are nice units. TSW needs more rolling stock.

158_2.jpg

Here the Manual if anybody is interessted (PDF attached):
    158.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. senatorseth#5492

senatorseth#5492 New Member

I personally think it’s a brilliant idea I would love to see my home town in tsw2. But starting at Bradford on Avon is a bit pointless other than that it’s perfect

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bravo2six

Bravo2six Well-Known Member

That's a rivet issue, so if DTG or JT work on it, should be fine.
    Or even if Rivet rework it, as its currently broken.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TSW Nathan

TSW Nathan Well-Known Member

Would love to see a Class 158! Hopefully if it's made by Dovetail the sounds will be spot on! Good idea for implementing it on a routes.
    You could extend east coast way to the west coastway and add the branch to Hastings and Ore. Ore (pun intended) you could extend GWR to Southampton Central! I would love to see the Class 158 in the game. Even if it didn't come with it's own extension/route, it could be a train DLC for WCL!

Fantastic suggestion! Well done! :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. TrainGeek08

TrainGeek08 Well-Known Member

A fellow Express Sprinter lover here :love:

158s are common in Scotland on many different routes so if a diesel Scottish route was to come in 2024-25, the 158 would likely be on it

Transport for Wales have some as well so if the Cambrian lines are made to Aberystwyth and Porthmadog, the 158 would be on there too

Now onto England, where do we start...

Northern have a heap of 158s for suburban and regional operations in the North of England

EMR also have a handy fleet of 158s for operation on mainly Norwich-Liverpool services but are often seen on other EMR services

GWR have 158s like you mentioned, likewise I have suggested a route previously involving a 158 (Heart of Wessex Line) so would be nice to see a GWR 158 in game

And finally, SWR have a small fleet of 158s for operation on diesel services around Salisbury or if coupled with the more prevalent 159s, can be seen on Waterloo-Exeter services as far as Salisbury, where the 158s/159s are based

The Express Sprinter needs to be in game on either of the above mentioned operators if licenses permit (ScotRail and GWR already have ;);))

• Like Like x 2
  15. seanpward

seanpward Active Member

It's really weird this, b aring in mind I posted this a while back, I actually did part of the suggested route to an extent today just to kill some time and I come on here to suggest it as a route with exactly the same stock I asked for...XD

I have had a few changes to my ideas and I would love to see the route have a centre point of Westbury, going in either direction along the west wilts line (Westbury to sailsbury) and (Westbury to Bristol temple meads) and also just to add a bit more diversity, have it run down to castle Cary so you can run the Weymouth branch as far as Cary... Obviously there is alot of work there but would provide alot of gameplay...

• Like Like x 2
  16. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

That was rivet though.

• Like Like x 2
  17. ghawk2005

ghawk2005 Well-Known Member

A 158 made by DTG would be absolutely amazing. Physics wise, it’d be an almost identical set up to the 166 ( but slightly quicker ).

Given the 166 was made 3 years ago or so on one of the first UK releases of the TSW game, I think even now it’s a fantastic unit and throughly enjoy driving it. Once the acceleration and braking physics were updated by the preservation team a few months back it is such a pleasure to drive. The 158 / 159 once painted into different liveries could be applied to a lot of routes in the game. West Cornwall Local, Manchester to Leeds, the Scottish routes for a ScotRail 158, possibly even Tees Valley? Heck. I’d even run it on all the routes even if it isn’t technically accurate. I just love them. The Armstrong Powerhouse 158 pack is a beauty

Would be such a dream to actually have a 2nd Gen DMU that drives and sounds the real unit. Other than the 166, we are yet to see this happen.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Lil jj

Lil jj Well-Known Member

I completely agree with having the class 158 and 159. But imo it will be nice to have a northern route which includes them instead of staying in the south.

• Like Like x 3
  19. TSW Nathan

Yea, for example: The Fife Circle, the borders railway, the Highland Mainline, Aberdeen to Dundee line...etc.

Or if you want a different sprinter (class 156) then:
    West Highland Line (most scenic railway journey in the world)
    Glasgow South Western Line
    Kilmarnock to Carlisle/Newcastle
    Glasgow to East Kilbride
    Glasgow to Annisland
    upload_2023-1-1_16-58-28.png

• Like Like x 3
  20. seanpward

seanpward Active Member

I get where you are coming from with this one and I recon it's because of Brunel's railway with the amazing architecture... At a guess but I am aware there are other places in the UK, I just live in the south and want to see the local area in game...like many others...

• Like Like x 3
  21. seanpward

seanpward Active Member

I recon it would not really be worth having the 156 as it's another version of the 150 which means rivet would make it and the Scotsrail 158 looks a bit different to the southern and even midland 158's so maybe having the Midlands one would be a good idea? At least then if someone did a Scotsrail livery it could be subbed into the Scotland routes...

• Like Like x 1
  22. TrainGeek08

TrainGeek08 Well-Known Member

The reason why Lil jj wants a Northern route for them is because the south has enough routes for now, it's nothing against the south, we need a rural branch like the Heart of Wessex Line mentioned previously but another route I've suggested previously which involves 158s is the Yorkshire Coast Line from Hull to Scarborough and that would be a cracking, coastal route for them and I feel people would love that route :)

• Like Like x 3
  23. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

No they don't run down there often. GWR avoid putting a 158 on the Exmouth-Paignton circuit has it has a very high passenger turnover so a 158 will lose a lot of time. They work to Barnstaple and Okehampton because those runs are mostly end to end traffic, with very little at the intermediate stops.

• Like Like x 1
  24. ghawk2005

ghawk2005 Well-Known Member

I seem to be seeing a lot of 158s being suggested on various forums. Let’s hope DTG take the hint that this unit is long overdue now

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  25. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Bring it on and for a Scotrail route that is Diesel non-25kv 50hz Class 158 can be operated by a 156 155 153 & 170 thanks to the BSI coupler System. A 1990s 158/159 combined with WCL the 158/159 will combine with the Class 150/2 due to both trains being BSI coupler equipped.

• Like Like x 1
  26. TSW Nathan

Personally, as the Class 156 is my local train, I'd really like to see it in the game with it's own sounds. If DTG make it, they could do a really good job at implementing a proper sprinter. And on routes like the West Highland Line they could implement the token system which would be really cool to see in TSW!

27. meridian#2659

Im currently bringing my BR section of train crew manuals / tech docs to 1++ standard. Means almost perfect scans in good quality.

Anyway, the 156 Manuals are also there even finished. Wont replace a real visit of the physical unit of a railway operator, but its alot of background info.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1WDXkM_3amgrUwocTiMUcyWX7O1KM1sF2

Screenshot_20230103-103817_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20230103-103953_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20230103-104034_Drive.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  28. meridian#2659

The manuals look like this:

Screenshot_20230103-104409_Drive.jpg Screenshot_20230103-104504_Drive.jpg Screenshot_20230103-104323_Drive.jpg Screenshot_20230103-104339_Drive.jpg

Now back to topic: class 158 ;)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
  29. seanpward

seanpward Active Member

Dude you are the fountain of knowledge that keeps in giving...XD but on a serious note, I appreciate that we have alot of routes down the south and I can see why one up north would make sence, but as alot of people on here, they want to see a route that is near them and they use for fun or daily... Either way as long as we get a 158 I'm not worried, the 156 is indeed a good unit but I'm worried that it is too much like a 150 although the way things go, it would probbaly happen XD

• Like Like x 2
  30. meridian#2659

I think nomatter what train they are gonna make, we have currently a really good balance in technical deepness of trains. The brake modes / system simulation got more advanced in all 3 core countries, also im happy with the latest emu, the class 323. Dtg and Rivet really matched a sweet spot here. Sounds got better etc.

Real Trains have so many valves, electric systems etc, it wouldnt make sense to model all those details in 100%.

Dtg really doesnt have an easy job in that, how to recreate a locomotive / mu that its fun, accurate, enough features and in a ecomic way possible to make.

They really fulfilled my expextations in rolling stock with latest dlcs (all three dtg, tsg and Rivet)

- accurate sound / behaviour
    - advanced braking system
    - pis / guard
    - most buttons working and have a feature
    - fuses, panto & traction isolation
    - safetysystem programm aws/dsd etc.

Thats the bar they should keep going. Well those DMUs with hydraulic / mechanical transmission often had local start points of the engines outside. Dtg included them with the 166 / 101.

In my point of view its not the physics / sounds on the class 150 which ruins the experience. Its the shambolic way the implemented the immersion. No working guard panels, no local start procedure, just the bare minimum was made, which is noticeable in every corner). For me this unit made it only into the a.i traffic, not gonna spend time with that.(unfortunately).

Rivet learned a hard lesson with its feedback. Looks like the got scared of diesels now ;)

• Like Like x 2
  31. TSW Nathan

Hahah! XD
    You never know. Maybe we will see another Desil route/DLC in the future! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  32. seanpward

seanpward Active Member

Either way this could be something if picked up by the right people