Train Sim World 2 - Roadmap Update 08/03/2022

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Mar 8, 2022.

1. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Well horses for courses. I have never liked it much, in great part because the scenery is tedious. Even in real life it isn't all that great - endless suburban sprawl - but the TSW route represents it by rubberstamping the same five buildings over and over. Add to that the washed-out lighting and white haze (apparently because DTG's designers think the Bay Area has a climate like Los Angeles'), and the fact that a glorified freight diesel with manually-lapped brakes is a horrendous choice for commuter rail, and I simply don't find it much fun at all: just a Point A to Point B with dull scenery and gameplay, unenlivened by anything worth looking out the window at, "special" only because the tedium is stretched out over a very long distance.

• Like Like x 1
  2. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

3. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

Since we have to keep the consoles on the same level, the smoke is going to be quite scarce.

• Like Like x 2
  4. solicitr

I don't know if that's actually true. Last-gen consoles definitely have their graphics settings nerfed compared to maxed-out PCs, even before we add in .ini tweaks.

• Like Like x 2
  5. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

We'll see, but given that consoles are the main market force, I doubt they'll waste time on a proper smoke particle simulation for PC users... It might be a bit better, but not by a lot.

• Like Like x 2
  6. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

7. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

They should really bring this important section Back At least because that’s section is what gets me hype the most and looking forward to what route and rolling stock and train they are going to do next.

• Like Like x 2
  8. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

That’s what I also said but I doubt that they are even listening to us

• Like Like x 2
  9. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

I hope that not going to be the summer update, I also hope we also get the big core update which is dynamic weather and live weather update as the core and along with others feature and more Rush Hour route and trains

• Like Like x 3
  10. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

Just how much longer can the preservation team update us about their progress before people begin questioning if something gone wrong.They have a very long list or routes they say there still working on(and testing..um i guess anything possible),yet they haven't finished anything that can be released yet.It really sound like we might have to wait until they finish all the routes before we see anything.I'm hoping we get something before TSW3 gets released.

• Like Like x 3
  11. chieflongshin

This is my unanswered concern coming true. I asked in stream last night too. I think rather than full on Puffing Billy it may turn out to be Wheezy Willy.

It was nice seeing that they matched the steam to the chuffs, that's great. I'm just wondering how you recreate the spectacle of a steam train without the incredulous volume they emit. When you think we have a new wheel rendering technique (which looked superb, thanks DTG) and the steam (which is an absolute FPS breaker on PC's now from the wrong camera angle) I'm excited, yet concerned.

• Like Like x 3
  12. solicitr

Matt went into this at some length yesterday. All the Preserved updates have been "finished," provisionally, pending QA review. Updates will be released as quickly as they clear testing. If a route fails testing and has to go back for fixes, as Penn Corr has, other routes which do pass QA are not going to be held up; they're moved to the head of the queue.

(It's kind of a pain that Preserved Collection/Crew, Peninsula Corridor and Personal Computer all have the same initials)

13. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

TSW 3 isn't even a necessary game. If there was a tsw 3, I would expect the same issues with the preserved collection to happen again.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, QA is where, in DTG's case, the bottleneck seems to be.

• Like Like x 2
  15. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Volumes of steam and some like that are well beyond the scope of TSW. It wouldn’t even be desirable as a player to have that much steam and smoke. The levels will probably be comparable to what was seen in the puffing videos, with potentially a little more I’d say. Other than the people with supercomputers who can dream from within their tech bubble, our expectations need to be realistic.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

You may well be right and that would be a disappointment to say the least. Anyone who has seen a steam engine in real life at full throttle knows the sights, sounds ( and smells ) of all that billowing smoke and steam.
    When I was a real little kid, there was a railroad overpass near us and my brother and I would stand at one side as the engine roared underneath us and then scamper to the other side. Didn't do our lungs any good but, boy was it fun.
    Guess we'll just conjure up the memories.

• Like Like x 1
  17. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I agree. I think the release of this SOS DLC will be fraught with bugs. We are still feeling the effects of the Core update and Rush Hour, are we supposed to know think steam will be any better?

I'm sure they said they have preserved updates that have cleared QA, so why haven't they been released? They keep waffling how it is acceptable and how patient the players and delaying statements like that to try to make themselves appear professional (lol) but all we wnat is for them to released, some are ready, so just release them!

I could easily buy a few routes today but won't. I haven't even touched the game for months as I'm waiting for these updates to drop.

What is a 'real little kid'? lol just joking. I know what you mean though. I doubt very much DTG will come close as seeing a real steam engine pass, it is a real treat to see a real one.

Talking of the stream, I found it quite a chore to watch, I got to preserved update excuses then dropped off. IMO for these type of streams they have got to get Sam back to host these. I can see Nat taking over the role but I don't think she is there yet. Even though Sam is paid by DTG he gives the impression that he asks the awkward questions and is some what entertaining.

I think moving to a monthly release of the Roadmap is probably a good idea but there needs to be a weekly question & Answer stream preferably hosted by Sam. If done properly perhaps Sam could start a thread a couple of days before the stream where people can ask questions rather than a few hours. But I think the community would like that and Sam could ask the awkward questions to devs if needed.

• Like Like x 4
  18. solicitr

No, they haven't said that. Quite the opposite, in fact: Peninsula Corridor failed QA and was sent back, and it was the first one submitted. Ergo, the rest are behind it. And Matt reiterated that the first routes will be released in March.

19. chieflongshin

I do miss the satire of the streams, they’re more news broadcast now. Sam and Matt carried my mental health through lockdown and as great a job Nat does, as soon as I know Sam’s on I make sure I’m there to watch live

• Like Like x 6
  20. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

It's always focused on the summer release all these updates.

21. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20220310-072338_Chrome.jpg

Interesting

22. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

Ah that word "Summer" again!

So on past performance (namely "Rush Hour") be prepared for release anytime between now and November!

• Like Like x 11
  23. tibomatthijs

tibomatthijs Well-Known Member

They already released lot of things though; LIRR, RT, WSR, MSB, SKA all updates done by the Preservasing crew

24. borg#1850

borg#1850 Well-Known Member

I do have to say the Steam Engine looks pretty good. We the "Users" have to understand, that you can only have a "Real" life like Simulation if we have Super computers.

For all of you going to Ally Pally, look behind the screen at the Computer/Server they are using to show Train Sim World. It's huge, fans whirring, HEAT and I would really be interested in the cost of it! :o

There will always be some sort of compromise, just so we can run the Simulation (Game ;)) on our meagre computers. If you want real life, then go to the NYMR and get the real thing :cool:

Let your brain fill in some of the detail and extra bits.

Me I would rather the bugs got fixed we have at present. But that is probably a different department.

25. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

The creators club has been a great success.

Am struggling to see how a monthly roadmap is better than once every two weeks.
    Considering discussions around the progress made on a route usually gets many articles which already include discussions with developer's and screenshots of assets in progress.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Kappi701

Kappi701 Active Member

A roadmap with nothing new. Wow. Maybe it'll be better to put out a roadmap if there are some big changes instead of a sheduled one.

27. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

That's why it's going monthly.

• Like Like x 1
  28. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I somehow doubt this.
    DTGs model in TSC and TSW has always been a summer release of several routes and assets and I don't see that changing. Maybe the steam dev is taking up much more than they anticipated, but I can't see them just dropping DLC off a cliff as this is (or has been) their business model up to now.
    I suspect that we will see a few DLC announcements over spring leading up to Autumn rather than nothing at all

29. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Keep in mind we get a whole new bunch of rolling stock with that route and a new core tech on top.

So i rather see them in a dlc to keep quality up on the stock we get. I would also like to see a wagon dlc, which adds freight and passenger coaches / wagons.

30. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

We are getting a Mk1 brake coach, it's just a composite, not a full brake

31. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

Hmm, it's strange, I'm kind of disappointed but glad the roadmap is now going to monthly. Personally, in the past, I've always been excited for the upcoming fortnightly roadmap, especially for any new additions or progress.

But lately, with the roadmaps being quite scarce of more new routes and loco DLC (this especially), and for those of us not interested in steam, I've lost excitement for it, especially watching the streams which I felt were becoming repetitive. Thus I'm quite glad at least it's going to monthly if it means more things to discuss later on (hopefully!).

I'm really hoping for some more new announcements soon which I will find interesting to keep my interest in TSW 2.

• Like Like x 2
  32. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I feel the lengthening of the time between roadmaps is reflective of a slightly lower intensity of releases and updates. So the bigger question is why has the intensity dropped? Yes all the preserved routes were released, yes some preservation fixes were released, and now? seems not a lot since the fixes to Rush Hour, just the odd route here and there. The expansion pack almost felt like a filler and acknowledgement that there was a big gap.

The Harlem is out next week, first preview of Lucerne next week too, the only other things we know about are SoS which is still way off and Horseshoe curve which was sent back to Skyhook for further work.

• Like Like x 1
  33. grob-e

grob-e Well-Known Member

Ok, accepting, that the roadmap not anymore cover the things DTG are working on, but the things DTG wants to talk about, and therefore the roadmap gets shorter and shorter, because shorter roadmaps means fewer things to talk about and more control for DTG what is discussed.

But even with that premise, I'll still would prefer the old roadmap or even a hybrid style of the old and new roadmap, with maybe added different stages to the "Upcoming" section. This would give much more information and a better "flow" overall. For example, if the actual roadmap would have looked like this:

Next Arrival
    • DTG Releases
      • Harlem Line
    • Other Releases
      • Luzern-Sursee
    • Preservation Crew
      • Bakerloo Upgrade
      • SKA Upgrade
      • Main-Spessart-Bahn upgrade
      • East Coastway upgrade
    Upcoming
    • Other Releases
      • Horseshoe Curve - 2nd QA review
    • Preservation Crew
      • HMA Upgrade - 1st QA review
      • TVL Upgrade - 1st QA review
      • HRR Upgrade - 1st QA review
      • RSN Upgrade- 1st QA review
      • GWE Upgrade - Awaiting QA
      • RT Upgrade - Awaiting QA
      • RRO Upgrade - Awaiting QA
      • OSD Upgrade - Awaiting QA
      • NTP Upgrade - Awaiting QA
      • WSR Upgrade - Awaiting QA
      • LIRR Upgrade - Awaiting QA
    In Production
    • DTG Releases
      • Spirit of Steam Liverpool Crewe
    • Other Releases
      • DB BR 420
    • Core Features
      • Dynamic Billboards
      • Approved licenced brand decals for the Livery Designer
      • PlayStation 5 add-on limit fix
      • Rush Hour passenger system for London Commuter
      • PlayStation 4 - PlayStation 5 profile transfer
    • Miscancellous
      • Dovetail Live rewards
    • Preservation Crew
      • Peninsula Corridor Upgrade - 2nd QA report revision
    would be much more transparent and somehow would have more moving on even the short list and therefore would be more interesting than the current format.

• Like Like x 9
  34. solicitr

I am inclined to say, rather, because the DLC releases for the coming fiscal year have not been firmed up, or were only just recently. DTG can hardly tell us what they don't themselves know.

• Like Like x 2
  35. Anthony Pecoraro

You said that several times, but nobody seems to acknowledge it.

• Like Like x 1
  36. solicitr

I know. :(

• Like Like x 1
  37. Anthony Pecoraro

I did though.

• Like Like x 1
  38. grahamsarea18

grahamsarea18 Member

• Like Like x 1
  39. grahamsarea18

grahamsarea18 Member

No mention about release of horseshoe curve again?!?!

• Like Like x 2
  40. tibomatthijs

tibomatthijs Well-Known Member

3 weeks ago it was almost done with QA, so it will be finished now. they're looking into fixing small bugs now i guess. Skyhook Games said we should hear more news about is 'very soon', so hope this/next week

• Like Like x 3
  41. solicitr

But did it pass QA? It could have been sent back for more work, like the Peninsula Corridor update was.

42. borg#1850

borg#1850 Well-Known Member

Maybe there will be an announcement form the Ally Pally Model Railway show :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  43. whiteleyaj

whiteleyaj Active Member

Did I miss some news - this was in announcements on Friday: Hope you've had a nice week so far, and are excited for a new week of Railfan TV.

We have something a little different planned for you next week (more details on Monday), but we wanted to share with you the highlights of next week's schedule in advance.

Didn't see anything on Monday unless its buried in another area...) Thought I'd add to roadmap comments as its an announcement .

44. mikeypl

mikeypl New Member

• Like Like x 2
  45. dhekelian

I just thought, the pres. updates we have been waiting an eternity for DTG said they would start in March. Got me thinking that with half the month gone did DTG mean March 2023? It seems we are getting closer to that date all the time yeah?

• Like Like x 6
  46. dhekelian

Got some more theories for you. With DTG moving to just once a month for the Roadmap and not replacing it with anything, is this because they have run out of excuses?

• Like Like x 7
  47. tallboy7648

Maybe. The roadmap streams were getting a bit repetitive and they didn't have nothing new to really talk about which annoyed some but frankly expecting something new every two weeks was never gonna be achievable long term so that was an unrealistic expectation

• Like Like x 2
  48. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

Hopefully by doing this will give them more time to work on getting the preservation crew update out, along with more new us routes and loco dlc to run on and more core new features to work on such as the dynamic weather, and more. I really do hope by the end of this year we will see at least more loco dlc added especially on the Harlem Line, Boston Line, and LIRR Line and more.

• Like Like x 2
  49. dhekelian

I didn't want anything new just some answers to the endless promises DTG give without delivering. I said in another thread they could do a weekly Q&A stream but thinking on it I doubt they would dare, lol. But saying that surely DTG must be concerned with how players are feeling?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  50. tallboy7648

I mean if they did do a weekly qa, I feel like there would be alot of repetition

• Like Like x 1