Us V Uk V Gdr

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Jamy, Mar 8, 2022.

1. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

How many routes have been released for the UK compared to US & German routes. I'm only counting DTG releases and routes released for TSW2 and not TSW
    I count 3 but i maybe wrong
    Cathcart circle
    Southeastern high speed
    and London Brighton Rush hour

I know there's the new steam route in production but steam doesn't really appeal to me. As I don't play American or German routes I wondered what the TSW2 count was for those countries

2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Just call up the Steam store page for TSW and tot up the various DLC.

• Like Like x 1
  3. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Quick key for the bullet points:
    • DTG Release
      • 3rd Party Release

UK:
    • Bakerloo Line (I'm counting the base game)
      • Isle of Wight (Rivet Games)
    • Southeastern-Highspeed
    • Cathcart Circle Line
    • Brighton Mainline (RH)
      • West Cornwall Local (Rivet)
    DE:
    • Köln - Aachen (Base)
    • Munich - Augsburg
    • Hamburg - Lübeck
    • Dresden - Riesa (RH)
    • Dresden - Chemnitz
    US:
    *Sand Patch not counted because it's a re-release.*
    • Clinchfield RR
      • Cane Creek (Skyhook)
    • Boston Sprinter
    • Sherman Hill
    • Harlem Line (Upcoming)
      • Horseshoe Curve (Upcoming; Skyhook)
    Other:
    • LGV Med. (France / DTG)
      • Arosa Linie (Switzerland / Rivet)
      • Luzern - Sursee (Upcoming; Switzerland / Rivet)

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  4. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

GDR! A pedant points out that probably only Leipzig and Dresden were in the GDR area and none set in that era

• Like Like x 7
  5. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Your interests are rather narrow (just modern UK traction ) so you're likely disappointed in the available route selections.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  6. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

If set in that era Rapid Transit Tharandter Rampe Dresden Chemnitz (Karl Marx Stadt) and Riesa-Dresden would have seen DB BR232 DR BR132 DR BR250 ( DB BR 155) DR V100 (DB BR204) DB BR143 (DR BR 243) do both Passenger and Freight jobs. Someone forgot to put in Chemnitz

• Like Like x 1
  7. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

Not many routes at all really unfortunately, such slow progress. Maybe they need to prioritise the route editor, I think folks would even pay for it. The potential for this sim is being massively held back due to this.

• Like Like x 4
  8. OldVern

It does increasingly seem all the resources are being thrown at Spirit Of Steam with anything else that might have been considered for development, apart from a handful of third party stuff, has just been forgotten.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

If trainsimplayer's tally is correct, then DTG will have released 14 routes in the 19 or so months since TSW2's launch, excluding the remodelled SPG. I think that's a pretty good pace all things considered. For quality control reasons, some would complain that it's too fast.

Cheers

• Like Like x 6
  10. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Honestly I wouldn't mind a slower pace if that meant routes get more time for polishing and bugfixing.

• Like Like x 4
  11. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Especially since, if we are looking at it from a workload perspective, the remastered Sand Patch should count as a 15th route.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

Or he fat-fingered and hit D instead of E (which is next to it on the keyboard (as US/UK/GER makes more sense)

• Like Like x 1
  13. driverwoods#1787

They also forgot Chemnitz a 1980s map of Riesa Dresden Rapid Transit and Tharandter Rampe has that written as Karl Marx Stadt

14. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

You can stop posting in every single thread related to Chemnitz that it used to be called Karl Marx Stadt before the reunification.

Yes, that was its formal name back then. No, it is almost never relevant to the conversation at hand, and gets _extremely_ repetitive and annoying.

• Like Like x 6
  15. driverwoods#1787

Ok then got that name for the city from a 1980s u.s. history textbook together with ARD ZDF Germany MDR articles that talked about GDR

16. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

You forgot Northern Trans Penning and Tees Valley Line and West Somerset Railway. Even if you leave them out, no reason to complain. You should list the Dutch routes in this list as well. You I know they are not there. Forgive but I is a bit sensitive for me to hear UK people complain about a lack of UK routes. Same for people from the US about the lack of American routes.

Btw you also forgot to mention Oakville Subdivision.

• Like Like x 1
  17. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

He's only counting TSW2-native routes, not the Preserved Collection.

• Like Like x 2
  18. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

That isn't the point. The point is - you don't need to constantly mention it's former name (Karl Marx Stadt), because the in-game route is set in modern times - a few years ago - not pre-reunification.

Neither does the former GDR need to be brought up. Nor does Deutsche Reichsbahn - unless it's relevant.

• Like Like x 3
  19. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

And how many UK routes would there be if DTG were a Dutch company? Also I would assume DTG prioritise their biggest markets like most businesses do no? DTG have said they will work with any third party developer to do a route wherever so there is not stopping people from developing a Dutch route or any other country.

I do wonder if this Steam route will be as popular as DTG hopes it will. I have seen a few posts where people are 'not bothered' or even have no interest at all. I personally love early steam but that interested in driving one in game. Perhaps it will be a huge success but I don't know.

20. OldVern

Must admit, so do I. For all the enticing preview shots including the Mark Ones, I still cannot get that excited over the prospect of driving from Crewe to Liverpool over one of the many other much more interesting potential subjects.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I'm sure trying to get a steam train up the swiss mountains or along the LGV will be just as fun as putting the ICE or TGV on the 1950s era route...

22. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

DTG is not a Dutch company, unfortunately. This is not the point. The point is people complaining about lack of German, UK, US routes, while they are very lucky to live in a country that is generously served by DTG for whatever reason. DTG missed the Dutch market completely with TS. There a re fair number of excellent Dutch routes for TS by now. It is a pity DTG misses the opportunity again, with the result of almost no interest in TSW2 from Dutch people and no discussions at all about TSW at the Dutch local forums.

23. dhekelian

I think you slightly missed my point. I know DTG is not a Dutch company but an English one. That is the point, if DTG had been a Dutch company tell me honestly how many UK routes would there be?

DTG cannot cater for every country out there and I don't think they are capable of doing so even if they wanted to which is why they use the third party excuse. As it is DTG cater for the UK, Canada(?), US, EU and Switzerland. To be fair that is not bad as other train games stick to one country or maybe two at most.

There has also been support for Japan and Australia but DTG say they want third parties to do it and they will support them. Get a group of Dutch coders together and approach DTG and you will get your Dutch route, at least the door is not shut entirely.

24. driverwoods#1787

That can be solved with the Duisburg-Oberhausen-Arnhem Utrecht Line (84 mi 134 km) basically solving two things at once Making HRR alive and introducing the Netherlands with new trains on the Utrecht Arnhem section VIRM SNG. For HRR owners S3 gets to run from Essen to Oberhausen if the two are linked

25. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

You are begging a question which no one except those with crystal balls could possibly answer. The only remotely comparable entity is the Australian N3V, and their catalogue is quite international.

Cheers

26. dhekelian

Crystal Ball? Hardly. Other train games do not feature many international routes, there are always exceptions of course but you will find a certain bias to their home nation which is to be expected. To this end I think DTG does better than most.

27. Cyklisten

Cyklisten Well-Known Member

I cant't understand all the complains. I'm a polish guy living in Sweden, but we never had any swedish/scandinavian neither polish route in TS Classic nor TSW/TSW2, but I still can play US/DE/UK routes and have a lot of fun. Why is it that important for everyone to have a route from own countries? There is one thing I can tell you already... DTG don't have resources to make at least one route in each country, even if there will only be one type of train on it. I'm hoping for expansion to Austria though, because we had some nice austrian routes in TS. And maybe something french using the already made Marseille station and TGV AI-layers.

• Like Like x 2