Is Gst Accurate

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by carter, Mar 12, 2022.

1. carter

carter Active Member

So besides not having the second level is Grand Central terminal accurate because I can’t find pictures of what it looks like when you leave the platform so I just wanna know if it’s accurate.

2. bdlaplaca

bdlaplaca Member

Granted Matt did not walk around too much so I cant give a full assessment, the platform area we saw in the terminal is close to reality. Some of the platforms have columns down the middle and some dont. Something I didnt see on the stream was small little platform number cards placed along the ceiling but to me thats a small detail that is not super necessary.

Not sure if tracks 39-42 are represented, this area was the old arrivals platforms for long distance trains which are on a slight slope and are wider platforms. They are still used but are disconnected from the rest of the upper level platforms. if DTG didn't create the concourse to connect both areas then I'm not sure if these will be included.

3. bdlaplaca

bdlaplaca Member

1280px-Grand_Central_Terminal,_New_York_2017_45.jpg 49062809451_3207b84428_b.jpg Grand_Central_Terminal_Train_Platform.JPG

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  4. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Good lord that looks depressing.

It looked very dark on stream, may just be my brightness settings but I couldn't see the track at all, even on the platforms.

• Like Like x 8
  5. bdlaplaca

bdlaplaca Member

Yea, the real grandeur of Grand Central Terminal is walking up the platform, through the doors, and into the main hall. Heres a 20 minute video detailing the architecture of the building if your interested in the rest of the terminal.

6. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

On the stream, the platforms at grand central were way too dark compared to reality. In reality the platforms are much much brighter

• Like Like x 1
  7. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

But its look like the team didn't research this part throughly, they shouldn't have mess up since they could look at youtube. Also another thing i realize its missing is the PIS at grand central terminal and the track number plate, where are those? Shouldn't those be in the game, also where is trash bin and the poster and ad and billboard in the station or the newspaper cage, and the clear crystal glass that leads to another part of the terminal? The Grand Central Terminal that we saw has very little asset and missing so many items as I mention.

You can see the video of how the lower level of the grand central terminal should look like
    starting from the timestamp: 20:43 and 26:57

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
  8. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

I don't even know which platform are they trying to create for the Harlem Line one still

9. paintbrushguy

paintbrushguy Well-Known Member

Ikr, such a nice concourse but really, really sad and dingy platforms.

• Like Like x 1
  10. stijn.claessens

stijn.claessens Well-Known Member

i thought this was a thread about a German safety system. We are running into abreviation problems here

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  11. carter

carter Active Member

Sorry but the person who named at Grand Central terminal‘s fault.

12. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

Doesn't help when you can't even get the acronym right in the thread title (and got it wrong in yet another way in another thread title)

13. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

You cannot truly count YouTube videos as accurate for the lighting. Cameras automatically brighten the scene up when its dark. Those platforms really are quite dark in real life - the last photo by bdlaplaca is about the right exposure and representation. While I've not been down there since 2019 it was plenty dark then.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  14. tallboy7648

The platforms aren't dark in reality. I use Grand Central very often and you can see well when walking along the platforms. The photos of station platforms are quite accurate. I don't understand why some are saying that the platforms are "quite dark" when they are not. Are they blind or something?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
  15. tallboy7648

GST is ironically part of the tilting safety system in the DB BR 612. Not sure why the op didn't put GCT in the title

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

It's also Goods and Services Tax...

• Like Like x 2
  17. tallboy7648

Lol :)

18. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Depends on one's personal definition of dark. To me, GC's platforms are grim and gloomy. DTG's version is grim and slightly more gloomy.

19. tallboy7648

Yeh the concourse area is beautiful but the platforms are certainty far from pretty. But as a frequent user of the station they are in no ways dark. The lighting brightens the platforms very well. You can see just fine.

• Like Like x 1
  20. solicitr

I really don't understand why the MTA can't give GC's platforms a facelift along the lines of London Victoria's or München Hauptbahnhof's lower platforms. "Underground" doesn't have to mean "bomb shelter."

• Like Like x 2
  21. tallboy7648

Yeh i see what your saying. But is it necessary? Doing a facelift to the platforms at Grand Central would cost alot of money and possibly lead to some platforms having to be shut down. Personally I don't think it's really necessary even though it would be nice. The platforms do serve their purpose even if it gives a grim/depressing feeling but most of the time passengers would be waiting in the concourse area anyways for their train instead of on the platforms.

I think what dtg should do for the lighting for GCT is to use the same lighting color/brightness that is in Atlantic Terminal-Brooklyn or Penn Station on LIRR which would give a decent depiction of the lighting in game at GCT as a compromise in my opinion because in game it is simply too dark. You should be able to see the side of your train fully when on a platform at GCT

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  22. solicitr

It reminds me of the comment made by an architect at the time of Penn Station's destruction- "One used to enter the city like a god. Now one scuttles in like a rat."

• Like Like x 4
  23. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

24. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Ive only been at GCT terminal once and my over riding memory of the platforms was dark and dingy. Have DTG made it too dark? Well I dont know it well enough but for me, the lighting on the preview stream definately took me back and I immediately recognised the place.

25. paintbrushguy

paintbrushguy Well-Known Member

I think having some platforms shut down is the least of GCT’s problems, it has more than 50 of them

26. tallboy7648

The platforms are way too dark. You should be able to see the side of a train on the platform as is in reality. On the stream you could barley see it