What Is The Code / Etiquette For American Horns / Whistles?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blazin, Feb 16, 2022.

1. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

I've been playing American routes recently and to truly simulate the experience, what code is there for horns on American trains? Do american trains blow their horns when leaving a station? Is there a specific sequence for crossings? Etc. Thanks in advance.

2. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

14 (l) and 14(m) are what is most common. To note, there are times where horns aren't allowed at grade crossing due to them being marked as a quiet zone.
    sad.png

Old video I made awhile ago, showcasing a few of the above.

1. clip is of Caltrain passing a station (1 horn plus bell)
    2nd and 3rd Clip is Caltrain and ACE departing (Bell Only)
    Rest are mainly grade crossing horns (Long Long Short Long plus bell). With the exception of the one clip (2:55) with the short horn blasts.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

Thank you.

4. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

For a note, none of this is really done scoring-wise in a scenario and it's up to you whether to to this in a scenario. If you want to be as realistic as possible, you try to. So if in a scenario and you're coupling cars together, you want to toot twice every time you start backing up in the freight yard, I'm guessing.

That said, some scenarios call out improper whistle use (at a whistle board at 6 p.m. no doubt) or if you forget to use the whistle.

5. vogelm10

vogelm10 Well-Known Member

Bell while rolling through stations. 2 short horns for leaving. Grade xing 2 long 1 short 1 long horn while making the last long one end up as you hit the crossing. Unless it is a quiet zone then use bell instead of horn.

6. Cyclone

Bell rolling through stations? I just give a honk. LOL

I would turn on the bell in addition to the LLSL sequence, kind of an early alert I'm on the way through. (To clarify, the CP engine in CMP does exactly this. The bell comes on when you blow the horn, you must flick it twice to then turn it off.)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
  7. vogelm10

If anyone would like I have a bunch of rule books with horn codes lol.

8. Cyclone

9. trev123

trev123 Active Member

American trains seem to blow their horns at least 30 minutes before they get to a crossing. Here in New Zealand they sometimes give one short blast or nothing at all. I live within hearing distance of a crossing with bells and barrier arms.

10. PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā

PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā Well-Known Member

In Qld, Australia, we just give one short blast at crossings and one on departure from stations.

Noticed NSW trains blow before entering a tunnel and sometimes at crossings - however not normally on departure from stations.

Not sure what other states do.

11. Cyclone

From someone else who once lived near a track and was woken at 3 in the morning by passing trains...I can tell you that Canada does what America does. And we're talking 200 car freight trains at times, so the rumbling keeps you awake for another good five or ten minutes. By that point, it's like, "well, I'm up now..."

But it's not half an hour. Just a long, long, short, long sequence and wherever a whistle board is. Still long before the crossing and must be finishing AT the crossing.

12. trev123

trev123 Active Member

Just a bit of sarcasm. :cool:

13. krunker

krunker New Member

I got some new things. Thank for all.

krunker

14. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I never really get the bell, it’s the one thing which ruins any YT etc. clip watching US trains. Even worse on some of the locos in TS and TSW as it comes on automatically when you sound the horn.

• Like Like x 1
  15. vogelm10

Bell....not sure if you are British but imagine it to be like the whistle on their trains. You use it to hopefully not blow out nearby peoples ears. So when you are far away or have proper hearing protection you can use horns but in areas where you don't want to be as loud but still want to make your presence known you use the bell as a warning. So passing a platform with people you use the bell instead of a horn. We don't have a High/Low horn setting in North America.

So technically you are supposed to use bell along with the horns at grade crossings but the majority of railroads don't really do that.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022