Expansion Bakerloo Line

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by pterocles#7018, Mar 18, 2022.

1. pterocles#7018

pterocles#7018 Active Member

Hi, as I bought the Expansion Pack I played again with the 1972 Mk2 Stock. I didn't care much about braking when I bought the base game but the more I have played the more realistically I am trying to drive.
    So my question is how aggressively is advised to use the brake? There are four notches. Rheo 1....an three different Rheo 2s. How is it in real life? On the videos it seems drivers brake fairly strong.

2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I have generally found the first step more than adequate to stop the train, entering a platform at 20 - 25 MPH. Very rarely I have had to use the second position. It does seem to me the brakes are way too harsh, otherwise all the other positions are effectively redundant.

Perhaps if there are any real 1972 drivers on here, they could confirm.

3. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Basicly you approach a platform around 30mph, so you go in hard brakes like notch 2-3 and as you slow down you notch back to 1 for a smooth stop. You can also hear this clearly in following TFL route learning videos (Snowy & Rainy weather might need a slower approach):

Elephant Castle to Harrow Wealdstone - Northbound:
    Part 1: Elephant Castle to Baker Street:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FEhRnaB2jE
    Part 2: Baker Street - Queens Park: www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLsQayM2uKA
    Part 3: QP - Stonebridge Park: www.youtube.com/watch?v=6947KDKsx-c
    Part 4: Stonebridge Park - H&W: www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oQaMYbrg_M

Harrow Wealdstone to Elephant Castle - Southbound:
    Part 1: HW - Stonebridge Park:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfezUp5zcG4
    Part 2: Stonebridge Park - QP: www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPmUfStP_kk
    Part 3: Qeens Park - Baker Street: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ6w5owv-7I
    Part 4: Baker Street - Elephant Castle: www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVFfE-9liwc

Shunting & Depot Movements:
    Harrow & Wealdstone - Shunting:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRKGhmiXjuw
    Willesden Junction - Shunting: www.youtube.com/watch?v=irY_FeCP_As
    Queens Park - Depot Moves Pt1: www.youtube.com/watch?v=essBI9zP5R8
    Queens Park - Depot Moves Pt2: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sarq6sQOy9o
    Stone Bridge Park - Depot Moves: www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMbNosZsdfw
    London Road - Depot Moves: www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FtZ5nr9xOI
    Lambeth North - Shunt Moves: www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxbKbgqan3c
    Piccadilly Circus & Paddington - Crossover Moves: www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1FS0NO7U-Q
    Elephant Castle - Siding Moves: www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOplc5w0JMM

Those guides you can use for the TSW route. I did an entire Speed Chart for No Hud driving, where this driving experience becomes very interessting. The route is very well made by DTG, i recommend you to figure out the "limit of shunt" for the depot moves, or just use the map. DTG implemented even the Push Buttons on Signals or Tunnel Walls for asking the permission.

Take a look at the "route direction indicators" when you might have to cross over the sidings at elephant castle. If you doing well, you are able to finish the services with less than 4 mins delay and you could technicly continue the entire 24h without delay the a.i services. It just needs a little practise & training.

Another Tip: Close the doors 5 seconds before the time of the task is up, so you can keep the schedule thight.

Bakerloo has its limitations due technical reasons the timetable isnt as busy you would expect irl. Despite this, i fully enjoy this route.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  4. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

You also have the Westinghouse brakes in case the rheostatic brakes have a malfunction, its working in tsw, but you dont use them usually. In case you want to test them, they have a "charge" and "lap" position. And the last notch is the emergency.

Beside that you can perform a brake test (switch on top of the right door), works also in tsw.

• Like Like x 1
  5. pterocles#7018

pterocles#7018 Active Member

Thaks, that was my feeling that I need nothch 2 and3 for braking.

Yes, I tried lap brake but gave up probabla way too soon. Also tried brake test but not the signal and tunnel wall push buttons. I will try.