Harlem Line - Another Mess?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by SBos, Mar 17, 2022.

1. SBos

SBos Well-Known Member

Just starting journey mode and on the first journey the stopping point is incorrect and on the second journey you crash into the back of a train in the station and no red light to stop you before getting there.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Turbojugend

Turbojugend Well-Known Member

Yeah, I got the train crash as well. No red light warning, just BOOM. May be due to a bugged track switching (?), I restarted that mission and literally pushed the train ahead of me until the signaler gave me a "your train is off the path" warning.

Other than that, Harlem has been working fine for me so far. Had to turn off 4K to get a reasonable frame rate on my PS4 Pro, but I've come to expect that by now.

• Like Like x 2
  3. The_Drunken_Engineer

The_Drunken_Engineer Well-Known Member

Leading with their best foot forward or whatever but I'm sure the testers never got that far into the game as the first journey mode scenario. Let's be reasonable here.

• Like Like x 6
  4. thomastl59374

thomastl59374 Well-Known Member

If you had saftey systems on did they not scream and shout about going slow ? Even so there could be a note saying to be careful do to busy traffic if this is how the service is supposed to be.

5. DTG-Chris

DTG-Chris Staff Member

Due to the nature of how signalling works on this route, it is normal to see more than one train in a block and one pulling up behind another.

If you are not using safety systems you will need to drive by eye. However, this is a great chance to try out the safety systems as they are not to difficult to pick up and can greatly enhance your experience on this route.

You will find the switches for the Alerter, Deadman Pedal, ATC, and ACSES on the panel behind the driver.

• Like Like x 11
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  6. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

As a rough guide:

Watch the hud or the cab signal display unit (even if you haven't activated them they are still there in passive mode to guide you).

If it has "N" lit up, that means "follow the track speed" - so it'll be basically what it says on the display unit, or on the HUD next to "ACSES".

If it has anything else lit up you're in at ATC override because of traffic up ahead:

"L" means "Limited" and means go no more than 45mph, brake down to it immediately if needed.
    "M" means "Medium" and means go no more than 30mph.
    "R" means "Restricting", and means go no more than 15mph but in addition, under Restricting you are also obliged to "drive on sight" - there will always be at least one full section ahead of you without obstruction at 15mph but after that there probably is something so on an R drive being prepared to stop on sight.

I just ran that second service, and you are indeed following another train, and the cab signals do correctly drop down to warn you and guide you to lower speeds so you are at 15mph long before you get anywhere near it.

You don't need to activate cab signal systems for this information - its always present, all "activating" them does is basically let them complain at you and stop the train if you do it wrong so by all means leave them off but you still must look for it and slow down accordingly or else you are basically driving blind.

Metro North don't put many physical signals down, you'll only find them at "interlockings" (junctions) as thats the only place its essential for a train to be commanded to stop - any other time, the trains are just slowed down so the engineer can run on sight. Cab signalling does not have the capability to stop the train at all, only slow it to Restricting.

Hope this helps!
    Matt.

• Helpful Helpful x 12
    • Like Like x 9
  7. Turbojugend

Thanks Matt and Chris for the insight. I did have one instance where I reloaded a save on that same service and sat behind the other train for 20 minutes (real-time) and it never moved. Should we not be loading saves on this route?

8. mattchester#9176

mattchester#9176 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info.

Is this in the route tutorial or do you need to active on the forums to understand this?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Does this route not come with trophies on Playstation? They haven’t appeared for me yet.

10. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

It’s in one of the tutorials, it’s even Matts wife that tells you about it ✅

• Like Like x 3
  11. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

I see them on PS5

• Like Like x 3
  12. Turbojugend

I think I've got two trophies so far, PS4 Pro.

But yeah, something's still not clicking for me with the aforementioned scenario. I restarted from scratch, obeyed all signals and speed limits. Hit a red signal around Crestwood with a train in front that never moved. Waited 15 minutes before contacting the signaler, who told me to proceed at restricted speed despite a train parked 50 yards in front of of me. I passed the red signal and hit the back of the train just to see what would happen. No scenario failure, I'm just stuck behind the train.

Now I have to ask; has anyone here completed the first several journey missions on PS4? If so I'll gladly take the blame for not understanding the way this route is supposed to work.

13. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Good to hear that. Maybe it’s just an issue on my end then.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

TSW2 set 4, will appear for the PS4 if you leave the game open running for a few minutes..

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. DTG Matt

Which exact one is it turbojugend ?

16. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

But the HUD gives you a green light. I've done it two times before I read this message. I was getting a yellow light in the HUD. It turned green, I speed up and I noticed too late the train was still on the platform whilst I was getting green light in the HUD and derailed

The second time I slowed down because I knew there was a train. Still got a green light was able to stop in time and then I did get red light just in front of the platform. I was to my surprise allowed to go further at a restricted speed whilst the train was still on the platform. There is something wrong with the lights there.

I also noticed the timing of the passengers is off. They seem to be arriving at the station when you are about to leave the station. I noticed this on station where the passengers walk over a bridge to get to the station. I saw lot's of NPC's heading to the station just as I was about to leave the station. If they would have arrived when I arrived I would have seen a lively station with even NPC's walking on the street.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
  17. Turbojugend

I believe it was the "Big Apple A Day' scenario. I'm not entirely sure as I was simply following the tutorials through whatever scenario was prompted next. I'm going to back and try to replicate it now and update this post with my findings.

UPDATE: It's the "Big Apple" scenario. Departed the White Plains 2 station headed for 125th St, obeying all signal and speed limits. The HUD throws up four cautions before Scarsdale, then switches to green and immediately to red because there is a train stopped ahead. I stop and wait for that train to depart, then continue on. A few miles ahead that same train is at a dead stop on the tracks with a red signal. It doesn't move after 10 minutes so I contact the signaler, who tells me to proceed even though there is a red light and a train stopped on the tracks. I can run through the red and hit the train without a scenario failure, but I can't progress the mission (obviously).

And yes, what antwerpcentral is describing sounds similar to my experience. I understand the cab signal display is outlined in the tutorial and should be followed, but the HUD is giving you a green light (then immediately red) with a train ahead.

18. antwerpcentral

Corectly! how Turbojugend describes it was my second attempt.

Edit: Shouldn't playing the entire journey mode be one of the last things in testing? This happens a lot in journey mode that early in journey mode you encounter a mission which is unable to accomplish

• Like Like x 1
  19. DTG Matt

We have played through it all - so i'm surprised to see this and will take it up with the team. Thanks for the input.

• Like Like x 2
  20. DTG Matt

A player video here showing it working - which platforms are you all on where you're seeing it not work? Can you compare the video and tell me how its differing from your experience? (note: the difference may be earlier, so i'd advise watching it all the way through to compare fully)

Budds to the Big Apple - Harlem Line - M3A - Train Sim World 2 - YouTube

• Like Like x 1
  21. DTG Matt

• Like Like x 1
  22. antwerpcentral

PS4 Pro here, the video is not what I've experienced. On the video it looks like everything is normal
    TrainSim-Matt it's "616 southeast to GCT" that has the problem with the train in front getting stuck. Gonna try it now again after receiving an update on PS4 Pro

23. Turbojugend

Not the same service. The one I was playing is "Big Apple a Day", not "Budds to the Big Apple." It's the service directly following the tutorials.

24. antwerpcentral

The one I was doing there were not many stops. Can't verify which it is as I'm getting an update for TSW2.

25. Tanglebones

Tanglebones Well-Known Member

Absolutely love this, thank you Matt. But why isn't in a tutorial in game? How much extra effort would it take to make sure there is a tutorial that teaches this? Or, better yet, IMO, a training academy where you only ever have to put a country's safety systems tutorial in there once, rather than creating one for every route.

Please give this idea consideration. If these forums are anything to go by, so many people are frustrated by the lack of in-game instruction just as much as they are by being told to check their mouse coordinates every time a new route comes out.

• Like Like x 1
  26. antwerpcentral

TrainSim-Matt "616 southeast to GCT"
    21km from my destination there is the train that does not move and where I'm allowed to proceed and push the train in front me.
    The red sign reads CP117 2S

PS4 Pro on the build that was released today

• Like Like x 1
  27. larrycv43

larrycv43 Member

I always watch the preview video on the day of the release and Matt always explains the route and how to run trains properly on those routes that he is previewing to us. On the video he made Thursday for the Harlem line he explained the signaling system. They are good tutorials. Here is the link

28. Tanglebones

Tanglebones Well-Known Member

And that is appreciated. There are many people who will buy and play this route in the future, however, who won't know that. By that logic, DTG could just leave out the tutorials entirely and just post a link to a video. I submit that a fair number of people would appreciate hands on, in-train, in game training.

• Like Like x 2
  29. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

No, and not on any other route either.

• Like Like x 1
  30. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Alternatively, they could make decent tutorials.

31. TruBluLew

TruBluLew New Member

I agree with you 100%. The Academy feature in TS2022 was really informative for me. Heck, it'd even be nice if they could embed links to the Youtube videos INSIDE the game for people that are confused. Like you said, not everyone who plays this game knows where to look things up. Or that there are even things to look up.

• Like Like x 1
  32. Turbojugend

Yeah, I've learned my lesson there for sure. But as I discovered by replaying, this particular snag has nothing to do with save reloading. It happens on every occasion, even on save-less playthroughs.

And yes, chiming in with what others have mentioned; improved tutorials are almost a necessity at this point. Sometimes we get so thick into it that we can't see the forest through the trees, but forget everything you know about TSW2 and imagine yourself as a first-time player who buys the core game along with the Harlem Line. Odds are you'd be well confused, heck, I've been playing TSW for two years and I'm still confused.

You can always say "go watch a stream" or something to bring yourself up to speed, but there are few–if any–video games I play that put that demand on a player.

• Like Like x 2
  33. DTG Matt

Yep there should have been a tutorial on the signals here for this route given its so different, completely agree and kicking myself that we missed it. Apologies.

• Like Like x 8
  34. ixofxiii

ixofxiii Well-Known Member

I think we have a red signal bug south of Fleetwood. So im running 316 local N White Plains-GCT and have a train ahead at a red and three express trains stacked to my left at the same signal. This seems to be affecting multiple trains as the northbounds look affected too. On ps4 right now so sorry for the cell shots
    The last pic is the northbounds at Mount Vernon W 20220318_142728_HDR.jpg 20220318_142736_HDR.jpg 20220318_143354.jpg

35. Turbojugend

Thanks Matt, appreciate the transparency and honesty.

I've found another way to replicate the stopped train issue. Go to Timetable and load up "Train 616 Southeast to GCT." As antwerpcentral mentioned, it's the same service.

36. The_Drunken_Engineer

The_Drunken_Engineer Well-Known Member

37. Richard Kast

Richard Kast Member

TrainSim-Matt there is an issue with the 616 service when you have the safety systems turned on. Tried from the journey with safety systems on, got stuck behind train in front, which looked like it got pathed down my route not it's. Restarted and turned safety systems on, ran slower, got passed the train in front and then got stopped from train gridlock. Restarted for a third time, did not turn the safety systems on, drove as if they were on, completed the service. Afterwards, launched 616 from the timetable, turned safety systems on, got stuck again, train in front down the wrong path.

[Edit 19/03] Removed the MODS I had installed and tried again. Still got stopped with a train traffic jam with the safety systems on. Going to try some other journeys and see what happens.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
  38. DTG Matt

I'll get someone looking at it on Monday :) Thanks for the extra advice on what you're running.

• Like Like x 2
  39. RynoHawk

RynoHawk Member

Same here. First run I tried with all safety systems on. I’ll turn them off.

40. RynoHawk

RynoHawk Member

Turned off safety systems and still got stuck. I abandoned service and took over stuck train. Contacted signaler and was told train off path. Looks like it was supposed to switch to outer track instead of staying on inner track so it stopped past the switch. Stop marker for it at Tuckahoe Crestwood (I think) is on outside (right side in direction of travel) track. For whatever reason it stayed on middle track.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  41. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Saw that list the ones that apply to the Harlem line are M7 & m3 manuals these are for the yellow LIRR version

42. xblackwolf90

xblackwolf90 Well-Known Member

I have the same issue.

Indeed, the train ahead can be crashed into if not driving to the safety system rules.

However, if you do, the train ahead will depart the station where there is the risk of the collision, but then ends up off path. At the next set of points, the AI train is due to head off to the line in the far west, but it does not.

I have observed two things happening:

1) If keeping relatively close to the AI train ahead, it goes over the points and immediately stops, bringing the route to a halt. You can walk up and take control of it, and holding circle immediately shows the train is off path. If you continue driving, you will sail past the next station at which you should stop on the wrong line, making it impossible to stop there.

2) If driving some way behind the AI train, it gets stuck at the same set of points, but it is stopped at the red light before them. It would seem the points should be changing to allow the AI train to head down the west track, but this doesn't happen so once again, the route grinds to a halt. Taking over the AI train in this instance gives the same off path message, but you are stuck at the red light unable to move forwards.

In short, something seems to be preventing the points changing to allow the AI train down the correct track into the station, which would allow you to drive past on the fast line correctly.

• Like Like x 1
  43. septafan

septafan Active Member

Yes i have an issue with train 616. The local in front don't get switched to the local track. Its moves just past the switch then stalls and causes a big backup. I moved the train that was stuck forward and noticed it had a stop point at the next stop but on the next track over. 17fa33db1f179-051048114ca71c4c3422cf52be8164933d0f29e7-438_message_421814049022010_1647711128992.jpg

44. septafan

septafan Active Member

Train #2572 North white plains to GCT is bugged as well. The train ahead of me pulls to far up and blocks the train coming from Yankee, causing another stack up. 17fa40c631b45-051048114ca71c4c3422cf52be8164933d0f29e7-438_message_421817516882112_1647724675320.jpg

45. septafan

septafan Active Member

17fa412b1a289-051048114ca71c4c3422cf52be8164933d0f29e7-438_message_421817636452690_1647725142393.jpg

46. RynoHawk

RynoHawk Member

So a funny thing happened to me. As mentioned by someone else, the stop icon at Harlem/125th seems to be short which if you stopped accurately, the rear half of your train not be fully berthed at the station. I was headed to GCT and was trying to check the rear camera view to guestimate how much more room I needed to stop but couldn't bring up the camera (I was coasting at this point). Somewhere in my button mashing I managed to unknowingly at the time move the reverser to neutral. Now I'm wondering why I cannot apply power or break as I slowly roll to a stop just at the end of the platform. The train then starts rolling backwards slowly and I finally realize what happened and fix the reverser.
    After opening and closing the doors, I know find I cannot move as my brake pressure and when I try to recharge it won't go above 70, let alone 90.

What happened was there was a train directly behind me and when I rolled back I ended up coupling to it.

47. chris#8132

chris#8132 New Member

Train 618 Southeast to GCT is bugged...same cause as train 616. So please fix or give my money back 30€

48. larrycv43

larrycv43 Member

I don't know if this helps but, on the bottom of the HUD you will see the following letters and what they mean to the signal system.

N=what the actual track speed is. You may not see the letter N but, the actual speed number
    L=45 stay under 45 miles an hour
    M= Stay under 30 Miles an hour
    R= Stay under 15 mile an hour
    S= Stop

With all of the above I always drive a few miles under what they mean and I only had an issue once.

49. nockwurst

nockwurst Well-Known Member

Not everyone has or wants to watch the preview streams. At a minimum, a link on their website linking to these videos in a tutorial section, or Academy, as suggested above, would be great.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  50. DTG Matt

Note that the explanation of L/M/R and speeds are also covered in both M7A and M3A tutorials.

Matt.

• Like Like x 1