Vertical Axis

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by nwp1, Mar 18, 2022.

1. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

At the start of the tutorials this message is shown
    Would you like to invert your vertical axis
    Yes
    No

After watching tutorial videos they always click No, as I always do.

Please can someone kindly explain the benefits of clicking Yes. Thank you.

2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Not everyone processes information the way others do, or uses their devices in the same way. There are likely some devices which work "back to front" as well. I remember some trackball users preferring things "upside down" to other users as an example (though that was some years ago)

3. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

The y or vertical axis is the up and down movement of, say, a computer mouse. Normally, when you move the mouse up, the cursor goes up. Some people like the reverse. You could do the same with the x or horizontal axis ( left and right ).
    There's no particular advantage either way. It's a personal preference, kind of like left-handed scissors.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
  4. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I wound up preferring an inverted Y-axis because for a very long time (this is back in the 90s) most of the computer games I played were flight sims (or spacefighter games), and in an airplane, pushing the stick forward makes the nose go down. It's now muscle memory, and non-inverted Y just throws me completely.

5. Ighten

Ighten Member

If your using a stick on a game pad and are used to flight sims it probably makes sense to invert - otherwise I would say no

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

The thing that always makes me pause whenever doing a new route intro, is that when the pop-up asks for "Do you wish to invert" it is asking if you want to swap FROM WHATEVER YOUR CURRENT SETTING IS, not "do you want to run inverted or non-inverted". Since my default is already set up to be inverted, that question basically means "do you want to revert BACK to non-inverted", therefore my answer is NO but I have to think for a second because my instinct is to say "YES I want to run inverted"

• Like Like x 1