More Focus On Improving Sounds Please

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Mar 17, 2022.

1. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

TrainSim-Matt Hi Matt sorry for tagging you but can you tell me the reason behind whats the reason behind these sound system, why are we still not getting any realistic track joint, flange, sound for the train, and more other ambient sounds? What the reason behind the sound being limited on, anything to help us the player understand why we still don't see this imporvement or these ideas being implemented to the game? Thanks

• Like Like x 6
  2. nhilsubsolenovum

nhilsubsolenovum Active Member

Led Zeppelin II was recorded on 8 tracks. No excuse ;-)

• Like Like x 2
  3. 5cip

5cip Active Member

i dont know dolby atmos never used it
    is this a similar software ?

4. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It appears to be. I have it installed on my XBox and PC: generates 360-degree surround in headphones. Does not, it appears, affect speakers; but then the store page for Boom3D doesn't seem to say it does either.

5. Thorgred

Thorgred Active Member

• Like Like x 3
  6. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

Dolby atmos is (supposed to be) for 7.1 surround sound with speakers in the ceiling (or upfiring speakers, simulates things like a plane flying overhead) using say an AV amp.

Even tho i have that set up in my bedroom (where i play TSW2 most) i found it better to reassign the amps / speakers to normal dolby 7.1 surround, so the ceiling mounted speakers are the normal side left n right channels.

I get sounds out of all the speakers all the time now, which i prefer (others may not)

----------
    I remembered the other day about the sound quality setting, not sure it's in the menu's, but i changed it in the 'GameUserSettings' file (and able to be changed with toolkit for TSW2 with a mouse click)

mine was on :
    AudioQualityLevel=1

It's now it's on
    AudioQualityLevel=3

i'm sure i am hearing more sounds than before, and a quick drive in the BR112 on HHL the flange squeal is a lot better...

This is on the PC... when i play it on the PS5 it's still got the shitty ' squeak... click, squeak... click' loop.

• Like Like x 3
  7. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

reading up about this 'AudioQualityLevel' setting,

it seems to be a setting for the .... wait for it..... number of channels that can be played back,

now i may be barking up the wrong tree here, other unreal engine'd games seem to use the settings backwards to how it works in TSW2...
    in TSW2 there's 4 settings it seems, 0 - 3, higher the number, higher the number of channels played.

other games it's a 0 - 2 setting, and 0 is the highest setting, 2 is the lowest.
    [​IMG]

Doh... just had a play, and tsw is 3 = least sounds, 0 = most sounds.

i was basing what i thought was happening on how toolkit for tsw works... it gives you 4 settings for audio quality, and selecting 'ultra' sets 'audioqualitylevel' to 3.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  8. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

TSW has glaring sound issue, we don't really have to scrutinise anything closely. It pretty much sucks, even from a distance.

• Like Like x 2
  9. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

What is this going to do inside the game? Did it improve any of the unnoticeable train track joint sound (flange) or any other ambient noise that isn't present?

10. solicitr

Atmos also generates virtual surround for stereo output, like headphones. And does a remarkably good job.

11. 5cip

5cip Active Member

12. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

tell me the outcome when you do.

• Like Like x 1
  13. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

Can you let us know is there a difference after using that program in term of the track junction and audio sound along with other sound as well, Thanks

14. 5cip

5cip Active Member

after testing different settings i can say that with that tool the overall sound expierience is better with FxSound for example when sound setting is set to "gaming" or "streaming video" but..the clikie clak sound is still low and thats what i want.
    i tested with speakers edifier 5.1 sound system and corsair headset virtuoso 7.1
    with my headset and sound setting "streaming video" in that FxSound tool i hear the clikie clak sounds much better and louder :)
    overall i dont wanna miss this tool even with speakers its funny to test during driving the different sound settings in that tool

• Like Like x 1
  15. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It won’t do anything inside the game and it can’t produce sound that isn’t present. It’s essentially an equaliser/enhancer. You’ll be able to tweak it to get the sound balance more how you like it but it won’t remix what’s coming out of the game.

16. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

So i am guessing it won't be a help to me. Look like we are just going to wait until Matt speaks to the audio team this week? Hopefully, this will be resolved in the coming week. :D

17. Ighten

Ighten Member

A simple start would just to sort out the volume level in the cab.. IS it just me but I have to turn amps up much higher than normal to hear any noise but when the game starts the music almost blows the speakers if I have forgotten to turn it back down..

• Like Like x 3
  18. JBViper

JBViper Well-Known Member

Same as you. I try to think that I have to put on my headphone only after the introduction is over !

• Like Like x 1
  19. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

What I can't understand is why JTG can do it but DTG and Rivet can't?

• Like Like x 1
  20. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I have the same issue, too. I have to turn my speakers way, way louder than usual to be able to hear anything. Every other game, as well as programs running on the Operating System itself, are fine. However, with TSW, it’s always significantly quieter than everything else. The only thing that is loud in TSW is that dreadful intro which blasts out when you launch the game.

I can only assume the sound levels within TSW haven’t been set up correctly.

• Like Like x 8
  21. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

A train game with a Zep soundtrack... could be interesting

• Like Like x 1
  22. solicitr

You can delete the annoying intro movies.

• Like Like x 2
  23. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

That's correct. TSW I need to raise my volume to 70, for ALL other games and anything else I never need to go beyond 30.
    It's that one special "prototype" exe that behaves like that since it released.

24. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

What folder do you get the movies in? Ta.

25. btom

btom Member

How? Is there a box to check in the TSW2 game settings?

26. solicitr

Go into My Documents/MyGames/TrainSimWorld2/Saved and delete the folder "Movies", or delete the movie files it contains.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  27. btom

btom Member

Will renaming those 2 files remove the game intro?

28. solicitr

Yes. They are the game intro. You'll go from the initial loading screens straight o route selection.

29. btom

btom Member

ok thanks, because I usually have my desk speakers set on a preferred volume level and when starting up the game the music blasts things off my desk, lol

• Like Like x 1
  30. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

Can we please get back on topic regarding the track sound flange

31. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Nope :P

• Like Like x 2
  32. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Well having taken a brief time out to run the 87 in TS on WCML over Shap, I have to say the sounds in TS put TSW to shame. The 87 is brilliant of course, but the reverb under bridges including fade in and fade out, along with track clatter over junctions etc. is just so much better. As an aside the lighting in TS comes across better too.

So riddle me this then, DTG, how can TSW2 which was supposed to be the next gen train sim be so inferior to a game originally created in 2007 and a route which has been kicking around for ages when it comes to sound?

• Like Like x 11
  33. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

I was also going to say the same thing like you said about how TSW 2 should be better than TSxx especially since it using Unreal Engine 4 I believe. It’s just crazy how TSxx like you said still have better realistic track noise than TSW2. I just couldn’t believe it. Not only that but on top of it TSXX have a third party software call RW Enhancer that make the game much more fun to play.
    I really think that Matt need to talk to the audio team and explain to them how important the train track joint sound and other realistic sound is to the game. I really do hope that TrainSim-Matt can get in touch with the audio team. This is where the most place where the sound department need to step up in terms of more realistic track joint(flange) sound and tunnel reverb: basically bring the sound up and more to life. I think this should be the one of the focus point for the audio team to bring the simulation more to life. PS Sorry to tag you again Matt but I really need to stress the important of this

• Like Like x 2
  34. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

It was confirmed by DTG on stream, most likely by Matt (like so many of these bits of information are revealed), that 32 channels is a "lowest common denominator" restriction due to one of the consoles, and I think it was the Xbox One.

Cheers

35. ARuscoe

It was confirmed by Matt ages ago (and I believe on more recent streams too) that UE4 only has 32 sound channels. The restriction is not the consoles but the engine

• Like Like x 1
  36. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

It’s just so ironic that we can have a lovely immersive soundscape running TS, but by choosing UE for TSW, DTG have locked themselves into such a subdued audio environment.

• Like Like x 2
  37. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

No, 32 channels is the UE4 default, but there is technically no hard ceiling (at least on PC). You can change it to however high you like. This is easy enough to verify by opening up the UE4 editor and making your own project.

The limit is CPU performance, hence why the Xbox places a platform-specific limit. PlayStation also has a limit but it is noticeably higher than Xbox (I want to say 96 channels but I have no way to verify that).

Cheers

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  38. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

Nope, it's due to the Xbox console, Gen 8 I suppose.

39. ARuscoe

Then it's odd that DTG haven't raised their limit to match on any platform considering they're already rendering sounds different on each platform anyway

• Like Like x 2
  40. ARuscoe

I thought xbox (the original one) had 64 channels... maybe UE ON xbox can only access 32... don't know

• Like Like x 2
  41. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

I believe it had nothing to do with the 64 channel, because i remember Matt talking how the sound channel have nothing to do with the limit of sounds, but he won't really explain why? Which i am hoping Matt can reply soon here

• Like Like x 1
  42. dhekelian

I could of sworn it was down to the Unreal engine having only 32 channels but like you said perhaps Matt could explain here.

43. ItsYa165

ItsYa165 Well-Known Member

I really want DTG to stop reusing these trash 10 year old flange sound samples. They're poorly edited, physically make no sense to use, lack bass and it doesn't impress anybody to use such old sounds for every single train that gets made. There's no excuse for why they can't just pick a new sample for a new train. Just change the resource that gets used so that it sounds different even if it mixes the same.

• Like Like x 8
  44. dbrunner#4864

dbrunner#4864 Well-Known Member

At least people like you exist that are able to put out fantastic sound mods. You my friend are the closest thing to AP sound we can get right now. Keep up the good work !

• Like Like x 1
  45. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

I get the impression that sounds have a set priority. Looking at the M7 in Harlem, some sounds may be a lower priority and when whatever arbitrary limit is reached those sounds just cut out. I initially got some lovely truck/bogie squeaking working with my M7 project, I've made no changes to the mod since, but I've not heard those sounds for ages - guess they're set as a low priority sound? Same issue with motor sounds other than in the leading set - they just disappear.

A different example. eg. Boston has some lovely recording of the Amfleet car brake rub and squeal, which simply aren't making ANY sound. I guess these never got put into the blueprints, or perhaps the priority is so low they'll never work.

I really appreciate the dedication of the DTG team - honestly I'm sure they want so much more out of the UE engine but I bet even now they're still on that huge learning curve and trying to beat deadlines, so spending that extra time to make sounds work takes a rear seat.

• Like Like x 1
  46. dbrunner#4864

dbrunner#4864 Well-Known Member

Is there any way on pc at least to change the sound priority or increase the number off simultaneous sounds?
    If anyone played The Bus game that's on UE did you notice how exquisite the sounds are? Engine, transmission, wheel rumble, tiny vibrations from doors or other elements + other traffic ai sounds, all at the same time without a single hitch . If they can do this surely the audio engine in UE is not the limit for TSW

• Like Like x 2
  47. zappatime

zappatime Well-Known Member

I'd like more of an effect when an oncoming train passes at speed, both physically and aurally

• Like Like x 2
  48. nhilsubsolenovum

nhilsubsolenovum Active Member

DTG just pay AP whatever they want to implement proper sound and add £2 onto each DLC. They know what they're doing and quality check everything. Their sound packs from 10 years ago wipe the floor with anything on TSW today. But please, whatever you do, don't give any AP sounds to Rivet.

• Like Like x 1
  49. ItsYa165

ItsYa165 Well-Known Member

AP does no implementation

• Like Like x 1
  50. dhekelian

Going by other games on the UE that have far superior sound are DTG being totally honest with us with the low quality sound we are getting? I can remember in a distant stream where someone asked the question 'why are the sounds so low?' He received the inane answer to just 'turn the sound up'. Doing this raises all the sounds and not just the sounds that need to be louder.

I reckon the answer lies with DTG's audio department, going by certain mods and AP as an example they just cannot compete. What is stopping them now to go and record new sounds, especially in England.

• Like Like x 3