Ts Tools And Career Scenario

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OldVern, Mar 22, 2022.

1. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Just looking for confirmation really. Using TS Tools to directly change the consist in a career scenario results in a “bin not found” error on loading. Having bought West Highland South, I wanted to swap out the rather dire supplied Class 37s with something that looks and sounds a bit better. After unravelling the ap files in TS Tools, swapping in an AP 37 from Wherry Lines, the scenario wouldn’t load, as stated.

Guessing I probably have to clone then save as a standard scenario?

2. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

Wouldn't take you long to do it in the editor Vern. WHS is not going to be swamped with ai consists.
    Probably looking at only swapping a few loco's at most.
    But you can clone and convert the scenario to standard in TS Tools and then swap them out.

3. OldVern

Thanks Mike. The old problem is that all the commands for the scenario are on top of the loco and so far as I know can’t copy or save them so you can delete the old loco then put them on the replacement.

Edit: In the grand scheme of things, probably easier just to build a scenario from scratch. This West Highland suffers from the perennial problem of TS routes in that most or all of the scenarios only travel part of the line.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
  4. BritishRail60062

BritishRail60062 Active Member

I clone the original scenarios and change the stock over. The game doesn't mind this but it won't let you edit the originals as its classed as "cheating" apparently. You can however do as you like in the cloned scenarios. Just name the title as the applicable train you want to use as it keeps everything in order.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

There actually is a way to edit the originals. I figured it out over the last week and confirmed a result with it. I will not go into details, however. I also suspect it would not go towards the player points for overall career.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

I have very limited experience with scenario creation but I do know there's a way to do this in the scenario editor. You put the loco' (or train) somewhere in the scene- anywhere will do but near the "hero" train obviously. You can then select and copy the instructions from the hero loco', drop them onto the new hero loco', delete the original and put the new loco' in its place. Matt demonstrates here:

(You can jump to about four minute in.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Cyclone

This is unrelated, I think, to the OP, which is changing the loco itself from TS-Tools. Thus, it already inherits that info. One can go in afterwards into the editor and make a quick edit and undo it to save the new train on the menu.

8. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

As you've changed scenario.bin AND ScenarioProperties.xml by using TS Tools, the checksums don't match anymore.

You can avoid this by swapping the loco manually with a text or xml editor. I won't explain here..

Probably the best way for you as mentioned above is to clone the scenario first.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. Cyclone

This is actually how to fix a scenario of your own for upload after a manual edit. Clone it and it matches again.

10. OldVern

Thanks for all the advice guys.

11. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

Vern,

you can move the commands from the original loco to the substitute in the editor. Just place your new loco in front of the loco to substitute, NOT coupled though. Then grab the first command disc with mouse and drag it on to your new loco. Once you move the commands, delete original loco and push your substitute back to couple to consist. Save and bang goes yer mangos. :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Perhaps I misunderstood the question- not unlikely when it comes to scenario editing.

13. roysto25

roysto25 Well-Known Member

The editor works just fine for changing the driven consist. TSTools comes into it's own when you are changing a number of AI consists

14. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Well-Known Member

There is a utillity on rail-sim.de called loco-swap. Should be much simpler than ts-tools.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Cyclone

Note that it sometimes crashes when trying to change a loco. It's not reliable, and I have to still go to TS-Tools for actual editing. Though it is a much friendlier interface for research purposes.

• Like Like x 1
  16. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Maybe reinstall Loco-Swap?
    I have found it to be reliable and it will let you swap a traction unit for a wagon & v.v.

I have not had any problems apart from a couple of quirks
    It won't let you remove every vehicle from any consist - and it won't let you delete a consist if it still has a vehicle - Catch-22

17. Cyclone

I don't think it's a "reinstall" thing. You don't install it to start with. You copy the files to a location (usually the Desktop since it won't have permissions in normal locations) and run it.

Also, it has worked at times, and at others not. I can always elect my own train numbers at any time. I just might not be able to swap periodically.