Sherman Hill = Another Definitive Feedback Thread, How Would You Answer These?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Nov 18, 2021.

1. Coppo

Coppo Well-Known Member

The crossing at Lincolnway is still wrong/ bad TSW2_Coppo_1648035612_00.png

irl
    Cheyenne IRL.jpg

Also, Has anyone come across this?
    TSW2_Coppo_1648033748_00.png

It's quite disconcerting...

Cheers
    John

• Like Like x 2
  2. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I think what we are seeing above is “uniform experience” showing weakness

Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  3. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

can I ask please, has it improved how smooth the game plays? I’m guessing if it has it’s a one size fits all fix approach being took

4. damarjatiaji

damarjatiaji Guest

For a matter of fact, yes it is. The gameplay experience improved for me even when everything at Ultra.

5. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Yeah, I also noticed this, but it was happening even before this update. But I'm not sure if it was like this at the original launch or a later patch introduced it.

6. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

"cOnsoLes ArEn'T dRaggInG doWN Pc ExpErIenCe!11!!"

Average DTG forum user.

• Like Like x 5
  7. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

No, it's like it was before, on some areas where there were drops (if you looked in a particularly grass dense zone) it has improved, but on the whole it's the same, or not better enough to make it noticeable to me.

I do have a 60Hz display so I'm locked to 60fps, keep that in mind, possibily if someone is used to more than 60fps the difference could be more noticeable.

It was fine on consoles before. While I agree that consoles are dragging PC down (sorry guys) I think in this particular case it doesn't seem like consoles are the problem.

8. madmatt213

madmatt213 Member

There's probably a fair share of PC players that are playing TSW2 on potato laptops and old PCs, which I would assume is reflected in data that Valve would share with DTG. So DTG has to contend with gen 8 consoles being their biggest player base, plus (again I'm only guessing) a sizeable amount of low-end PC players. I would also expect that DTG providing a large amount of optional graphics enhancements (plus dev work that would go unnoticed if it was left off by default to help with performance) would lead to further QA bottleneck issues along with game build fragmentation between the 6 (or is it 7?) different platforms that they always aim to patch and update at the same exact time.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

Tbh I don't care if there are a lot of people on potato pc: that's what sliders are made for. If you have a potato pc turn your sliders down. DTG approach on this issue was the opposite: let's make graphics crappy for everyone... unbelievable.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Dinosbacsi

Not like this particular issue has anything to do with console or low-end PC performance. You can make grass be peformance friendly without it looking like this (see literally all other routes or all other grass types along Sherman Hill). This is a LOD issue most likely - the LOD model having wrong texture or material, thus making it appear so bright. If it was the same color as the close LOD, it wouldn't be noticeable. But for some reason many foilage types in TSW change color when they change LODs.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

...played it yesterday after the big update on console, but wasn't able to spot the bisons. Must be very shy animals. ;) Otherwise the change of the vegetation textures on the stability is noticeable, because the framerate is been higher and the risk of crashing due to camera changes during long trains has been minimized. It's a nice relaxing route and I like it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It isn't just consoles. PCs more than a couple of years old or costing less than a modest automobile also couldn't run Sherman Hill as it was.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Indeed. There was absolutely no excuse for Sherman Hill to max out my RTX 3080 at 15-20 FPS when every other route runs at 90+ FPS. And this new update looks horrendous; I would much rather have just continued to drop the foliage setting on the rare occasion I did play the route, because now I refuse to play it at all.

Cheers

• Like Like x 4
  14. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Wow just wow, I have no words to describe how I am feeling about this update right now. This is close to being uninstalled, Ive tried various months to see if I can find a month where the grass around Hermosa doesnt resemble some bad 1960 sci fi scene without success.

Is this really the best solution they could come up with?

• Like Like x 3
  15. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

Yes I have noticed the issue with the UP logos on the coal hoppers.
    Really surprised about it.
    I forgot about this issue.
    Thanks for mentioning

Please find the picture I took last week.

UP COAL LOGO BELOW.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  16. Dinosbacsi

I wonder. I would say this is not intentional - their original intention was to make something that is more performance friendly yet still looks good. At least that what my common sense would say. I try to hope that this is just a LOD issue that will be fixed.

But on the other hand... this grass was right behind Matt's face for the whole anniversary stream on sunday. They must have seen it, yet noone has said anything? If they are fine with this and plan on keeping it like this, then I think everyone might as well just uninstall Sherman Hill from their library. Really hope it does not stay like this.

17. redrev1917

At least with Cane Creek you can avoid this by selecting certain months - the summer months dont have this issue certainly.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I didn't realise it had been updated... Must check it out. Though that said, have a feeling I may find myself back on the TS version running the superb GTEL's!

19. Callum B.

I just had another run on Cane Creek and I could get a rock solid 90FPS on that route the whole way through, where the grass is just as dense and visible for long distances as Sherman Hill. It really baffles me that Skyhook was able to do it right on their first try but DTG has thus far swung two strikes on Sherman Hill. I really don't understand. What's most frustrating is that we can expect the next patch to be upwards of four months from now if DTG's track record is anything to go by, and we have no idea whether it will actually be fixed then. What a mess.

I really wanted to like this route, but it's been sitting in my "awaiting updates" pile of routes along with SFJ and Oakville ever since a week after launch. It is frankly a shame.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  20. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

There's a U50C & DD35s for TS 22 version. I can see them arrive as Heavy horsepower pack UP 1960s 1990s present AC6000CW. At the same time balance that out with Eastern Heavy horsepower pack SD80MAC AC6000CW CSX

21. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Oh my word, it’s the same on PS5. There absolutely no performance issues on PS5 and now the grass has been ruined.

I’m breaking a rule here but… TrainSim-Matt have you seen what’s happened to the grass on Sherman Hill? It’s been totally ruined, and by extension has ruined the route. Where there were small green tufts, the lower LODs are now showing as tall yellow stalks. Taller green stalks don’t seem to be affected. This must be a bug (see other posts on previous page for screenshots) and it is the same on all platforms by the look of it.

• Like Like x 2
  22. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Its being looked at, no idea how that ended up looking like that - certainly no need for it.

• Like Like x 12
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  23. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Don't want to sound repetive, but didn't anyone notice before release?

• Like Like x 1
  24. 21c164fightercommand

21c164fightercommand Well-Known Member

DTG's Quality Assurance you mean?

25. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Ugh. Yes instead of being hardware melting the grass now looks like splines from Trainz 2006.
    Think we need a compromise somewhere in the middle.
    Off to fire up the TS version instead...

26. Jannerdunk

Jannerdunk Well-Known Member

TrainSim-Matt - Could you also explain why the broken / out of bounds collectables were not fixed in this weeks update. Given this was a "graphical / route" update that required a big download, could these not have been fixed at the same? Surely, the fix is a quick one that just involves moving the actual items to a more suitable location or moving the invisible walls

27. Dinosbacsi

Thanks you for the info, glad to hear it's being looked into! Hope it can be sorted out easily.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I must be some kind of outlier, because I've never had any performance issues with SHH. The original grass didn't cause any problems or frame rate drops, a steady 60fps throughout ( which is my screen's limit ).
    My only issue with the route was the strange night lighting.

I will say though that southeast Wyoming is semi arid and is mostly covered with scrub grass. Trees struggle to grow in the sandy soil and you won't see much in the way of grass anyway, except patches of buffalo grass here and there.
    However, that spiky stuff sticking up from the ground is a bit comical, not anything native to Wyoming, Colorado or Utah I would venture. Reminds me of " Day of the Triffids. ". :D

Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
  29. Dinosbacsi

What kind of hardware you have? I mean I know my 1050Ti counts as low-end nowdays, but it can still run every other route on a steady 20-30 FPS on maximum setting. Not the best, but good enough. But Sherman Hill's grass sometimes killed my framerate to single digits even on medium foilage settings.

30. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I have a pretty high end rig, I7. RTX 3080. I recently upgraded to get ready for steam which I expect to be pretty demanding, if DTG does it justice.

31. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

Be assured that the existence of a 8 gen version of this game will make it run on PCs too, I hope.

I'm quite concerned too tho, I'm running the game on locked 30 fps with a lot of .ini tweaks and shadow draw distance to make it look better, and it runs fine. I do not want to disable any or all of that haha.

32. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

I just noticed mine does not look like this, the texture seems to be missing:

[​IMG]

Is anyone else having this problem or have any ideas to fix it? I removed the two mods I was using, verified the game files and even deleted the Sherman Hill .pak file in the DLC folder so it redownloaded it, none of which helped. I own the game on Epic if that makes a difference.

DW

33. Dinosbacsi

Oh, that's weird. My first guess would've been that you might be using my mod from earlier that replaces this texture, but I see your billboards are still the original, so the mod is not in use. Might be an Epic only issue, I say definitely submit a support ticket regarding this.

34. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Seems like it upload_2022-3-29_20-52-27.png

35. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

Hmm, yeah I guess I may need to start a thread in the technical forum.

Another odd thing I've noticed on Sherman Hill is this strange grey texture being projected onto the train when going over this crossing between Laramie and Hermosa on track 1&2. Is anyone else seeing this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I searched a bit but don't see any mention of it.

I do appreciate the performance improvements with this latest patch. Its great not to have to sacrafice tree detail with the lower foliage setting anymore and Cheyenne and Laramie yards are alot better framerate wise. I hope they can do a little bit more in that regard in the yards but this patch made a signifigant improvement.

DW

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  36. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

That is really strange!
    The "ghost" of Sheman Hill! :D

37. solicitr

Today's update notes say they have fixed the "glowing grass" and the invisible walls blocking snowfence collectibles

• Like Like x 2
  38. redrev1917

Glad to see this bug had been fixed so quickly.

39. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

Will today’s update bring custom liveries back to the autoracks….. hopefully so but I doubt it.

40. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

“Improved the initial state of the brakes on the SD70ACe so that is now takes less time to get moving after starting.”

Does this mean I no longer have to wait like 10 minutes for the brakes to release at service start? Thank freaking goodness.

• Like Like x 1
  41. redrev1917

thats how I read it, one big advantage of not having to wait so long is that faster services would have more chance of catching up a slow AI train up the climb which would definately add something to the route.

• Like Like x 1
  42. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

That is indeed correct, the brake pipe is now fully charged. They're still cut out and handle off - so you should start by moving the auto brake to release to charge the equalising rev - takes a few seconds - and once it's up to 90, cut in the brakes and you'll be ready to basically instantly.

If you cut in before letting the EQ charge then it wont break anything it'll just start venting the brake pipe to get it down to the 0psi of the Equalising Res, move to release quickly and you wont have to recharge much and again its still a quick start.

Much faster to get moving now.

Matt.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
  43. heliq

heliq Active Member

Where is the update? I don't have anything on steam.
    Already restarted.

44. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Very nice!

45. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Would that be a possible aid in making SPG trains as long? I remember one of the things breaking the timetable would have been the charge-up time for brakes. Well, now that is not an issue.

46. Callum B.

I agree, and am glad to have been wrong. Finally, I can enjoy the route I bought four months ago with neither terrible performance nor glowing grass.

[​IMG]

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
  47. solicitr

Kudos to DTG for moving so quickly to make a potentially great route enjoyable.

Query: can the same "radioactive weeds" fix be applied to Cane Creek as well?

• Like Like x 5
  48. Dinosbacsi

Very nice! Glad to see it got fixed so fast, good job from the team!

Couldn't try it yet, as I did a run on the Tohoku Line in TS, as it also just got a patch today. But I will definitely celebrate by doing a few runs on Sherman Hill during the weekend.

49. Callum B.

I'm doing a run on Sherman as I type this, and something very bizarre is happening that I have never seen in this game before. For some reason, my framerate is locked to 60FPS. This shouldn't be the case, as I have it set to lock at 90FPS in the settings. Just to double check, I turned down all graphics settings to lowest and placed my camera facing down in a random empty field and.... still 60. To test that I'm not crazy, I loaded up GWE and was able to surpass 60FPS easily. Another peculiarity is that the pause menu shoots straight up to 90 but lowers back to 60 when I unpause.

Normal:
    upload_2022-3-31_12-33-57.png

Reduced graphics:
    [​IMG]

Staring at ground:
    [​IMG]

I have never seen the game cap framerates on a route-by-route basis but since the menu and other routes still work normally, I don't think this is a problem with my particular setup. This isn't a large issue compared to Sherman's previous faults, it's just strange. 60FPS is still perfectly fine, but didn't pay for an RTX 3080 to play games at 60FPS, and I am one who can easily tell the difference.

I couldn't say for certain whether this is a new issue because, until recently, 60FPS on Sherman Hill was not even achievable on my PC.

Cheers

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
  50. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

And the answer is no. :(:(:(