Not Impressed With West Cornwall Local

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Railfan1985, Mar 17, 2022.

1. Railfan1985

Railfan1985 Well-Known Member

Trying to complete a cornish circle. Red lights make time keeping impossible. I got spadded when a light at a station that was red, turned green and turned red again in quick sucession as was right in front it as i left the station. Not impressed with this dlc at all. Sod this, I'm going back to london commuter

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
  2. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

Weird. I just completed Cornish Circle yesterday with no problems. I must admit it’s really hard to keep to time I think I was about 3 or 4 mins behind time by the time I got back to Penzance. I didn’t have any problems with the lights though? I can only assume it must be a random bug.

• Like Like x 1
  3. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

Try playing it from a different start menu. I played it via the journey menu.

4. Railfan1985

I shall try that, thanks.

I had two reds straight away. 2nd time i had a green and red.2nd and was ok until the game spadded at third station. I think the scenario could do with better timing, especially given the fact you have such limited time from the start

5. arek#2842

arek#2842 Well-Known Member

Well, I would say if you were still able to finalize the scenario, just running late with the schedule I would approach this as a quite nice simulation of a real life scenario (although not planned by developers ;)). You could imagine that something unexpected happened on the line before making some disturbance and effecting in you being stopped on the red light two times.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dave from Cornwall

dave from Cornwall Well-Known Member

West Cornwall Local is very much like IOW.
    Calmer and slower action.
    Very much like comparing Camborne station to Victoria Station. Completely different kettle of fish.
    Plus I will remind you one a certain Cornish phrase. " Drekley"
    As in "A Cornishman does it Drekley."
    Many "English" folk hear it as directly.
    Its not.
    Its more like the the Spanish mañana.
    As in I dont think trains ever run to time in Cornwall...

• Like Like x 1
  7. countcussy

countcussy Well-Known Member

Slightly OT

Would you say this is a better route than West Somerset?
    So far, that's the only DLC I have been genuinely disappointed with.

8. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

West Somerset is a shame. It’s a beautifully modelled route but with very little play value.

They should of chosen a shorter but more interesting line to use with interesting scenarios and timetable potential.

One way they could salvage it is if they added a ‘free roam’ where they unlocked the yards by making all the points controllable by the player and making the signals passable at danger so you could shunt and assemble whatever consists you want.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

WSR is a very pretty line, but the speed restrictions and single track make it pretty boring. Also, the harsh arrival times at stations takes away the relaxation.

10. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

West Cornwall is a shambolic route full of scenery errors as well.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

WSR could be a great line with steam.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

The scenic drive on West Cornwall is beautiful to see for most of it, even if there are some errors here and there. Also another great touch is the way the waves break onto the shore line now, not perfect but a lot better than normal. And then there are the sea gulls flying overhead, I was about to hide my chips and then I realised it's only a game.

• Like Like x 7
  13. countcussy

countcussy Well-Known Member

Can the Class 150 that comes with this, be used on NTP?
    I may be convinced to buy it in the sale if that's the case.

Has anyone documented how the layers integrate across the game?
    As a new user, I find it a little frustrating not knowing exactly what I am getting/what's available..

14. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

No, the 150/2 cannot be used on NTP or any other route unless it's in a user created scenario. It does not layer onto other routes.

15. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

The 150/2 is a pretty decent loco from Rivet.

16. whiteleyaj

whiteleyaj Active Member

I'm enjoying both the passenger and freight scenarios - some of the better scenarios I've done. Good mix.

17. sandy#3164

sandy#3164 New Member

Can we have better sound for the 150. I used to drive them on a regular basis in real life and they don’t sound right. The brake squeal when stopping is authentic enough but the engine sound doesn’t relate to what you are doing. Thanks

18. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Not really to do with sounds. The engine has been created wrong in simugraph so the sounds mapped to that can never work
    And Rivet would have no intention to change these things it seems

19. LIRRGuy

LIRRGuy Well-Known Member

Anyone else bought this JUST for the Class 150?

20. jasonpfc

jasonpfc Well-Known Member

I only bought it for somewhere else to run the 101, the 150 was more a paint only job, even then they have now all been wiped.

21. Nielsen

Nielsen Well-Known Member

Why do I not see exhaust smoke coming out of the Class 150 when I operate it? Not even when stopped at a platform. Sometimes I see them parked on adjacent tracks, and they always blow smoke like a chain smoker.

22. Railfan1985

Finally managed to complete it. Never again. The timetable is impossible to adhere to. Why are rivet still allowed to make routes?

23. phillipa#1949

phillipa#1949 Active Member

What a load of Rubbish even at 14.99 no trophies only 90 services the HST Car stops have been left in with the GWR Logo on all the seats at all Station stops between Penzance & St AUSTEL but Rivet games decide to leave out the HST makes this route Sub standard when they have put Trophy Support into there new Swiss route.Shame on you Rivet Games

24. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

I just assumed the seats were the old cast iron ones made and installed by the original Great Western Railway, from which the modern GWR pinched the name. The old GWR ceased to exist when the railways were nationalised in 1948 but the old, durable, platform seats remained in use.

• Like Like x 3
  25. ARuscoe

The seats on the route are modelled on the real life ones which are as you suggested.
    I presume the previous respondent is feeling "short changed" because they wanted more trains included in the DLC pack

• Like Like x 2
  26. dave from Cornwall

Its a quiet line. Compared to the rush hour lines, its quiet especially in the 1990's with the single track section.

You physically cannot get any more trains on to the line?

27. ARuscoe

But you can get more VARIETY on the line, including HSTs, 47s, 50s etc depending on railtours and period set
    Of course I'm arguing for the other person (who I'm sure can answer for themselves)

• Like Like x 2
  28. barryr21

barryr21 Active Member

It's a good looking route (i've not been to Cornwall since I was a kid so can't comment on accuracy) even on PS4 but having only bought it a week ago i'm already getting a bit bored of it. I'll probably nip in and do the St Ives branch line on occasion but the longer Penzance to St Austell route is just a bit too quiet for me!

• Like Like x 1
  29. ARuscoe

Welcome to rural England, especially at the extremities! (ie if you go West from Cornwall you run out of country)

• Like Like x 1
  30. dave from Cornwall

Which was why I banged the drum for the Falmouth branch. Yes its single line, but it would have given us all a 25 minute trip.

On the WCL you've either got the 13 minute St Erth to St Ives (or reverse) or the 60 minute mainline trundle.

Hey ho.

D

31. ARuscoe

This is true of almost all railway operations over a given distance. I live in Gillingham and we have three types of trains with two basic westbound routes and three eastbound ones.
    Railways aren't supposed to be a hive of excitement! Reliability and punctuality are what are needed

• Like Like x 2
  32. Nielsen

Nielsen Well-Known Member

Indeed, hence the Western tip of Cornwall being highly appropriately named Land’s End. :D

33. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

I highly disagree. If you dont like slow heritage and dont have the time, just dont buy it.

Thats exactly dtgs problem, they feel to have the need choosing route lenghts for covering a 1 hour trip.
    This way we never get more out of the routes.
    With a new low in harlem line, even when the route is going to southeast, if a player doesnt have time he can take a service to white plains or just take over on a station.

Im fine with a short route, when service ending points make sense or the route is just one like iow.

But there is not a single argument of dtg convincing me, to cut harlem in half and sell it for the full price. Totally wasted potential.

I like wsr a lot, its actually enclosed and the services are fun.

About unlocking yards, this would make a totally arcade joke out of the sim.
    I think you should look into derail valley.

• Like Like x 1
  34. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

I would love derail valley but I don’t have a computer unfortunately. PS4 makes it affordable :)

Everything about TSW is a compromise. A fair compromise in most areas but I don’t think basically a ‘free play’ mode would make a joke of it.
    It wouldn’t stop you pretending you’re driving a train.

35. ARuscoe

This is an oversimplification

More likely it's a case of what route, that gives up to an hour's game time can they produce in game within a given amount of research and dev time to make money back from a £25 sales point.
    If there was a commercially viable way of producing twice the route length, additional rolling stock, additional systems, buildings etc etc and stay within £25 or similar then I'm sure they would do so.

36. borg#1850

borg#1850 Well-Known Member

I have to say that unless the game saves work 100% reliably, I do not want to waste an hour, to only find it crashes if i open from a saved game or get a Red signal barrier. Plus you get "One" save. An hour in my book is enough time to do something. Personally I do not have hours of my life to give to something, that takes a long time to play. But then that's just me, a member of the aging population on here.

Another reason (Even though i was looking at buying a few more routes again) I have stopped myself, due to the continuing issues with the New DLC's having to many bugs and issues for my liking. I was thinking of the Cornwall route but One Unit and no HST's is a bit restrictive to pay even when it is on Special offer at present.

• Like Like x 1