Ukrainian Oligarch Had Luxury Pullman Replica In His Palace

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Rybnicki, Mar 26, 2022.

1. Rybnicki

Rybnicki Well-Known Member

Something slightly funnier among all the grim war news - one of the MPs from a recently-banned party has escaped to Russia, so they raided his palace and found a full replica of a mid 20th century Pullman car.

[​IMG]

In great Eastern European tradition, this isn't an original Pullman but a knock-off made in
    Ukraine. It isn't attached to any tracks, so doesn't travel anywhere, but has space for 40 people and features a bar, toilet and private compartments.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It will be removed and used as a way of transporting children and disabled people following conversion to a functioning rail carriage.

Funniest thing about this to me is how awful and gaudy it is. I know 'rich people have no taste' isn't exactly news but surely for the price of this he could have picked up an actual vintage Pullman carriage instead of this Disney thing.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

I think it's quite lovely.

3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

That was pretty standard decor for 19th-century Pullmans (and any other space inhabited by the really wealthy.) The Victorians weren't noted for stylistic restraint

This one is a more "austere" example from the 1920s, ordered by LNER (currently owned by Bluebell Railway).
    [​IMG]

Here's an 1890s example:
    [​IMG]

4. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

It's going to need SUW 2000 variable gauge axles Lviv Premzyl route eventually Riesa-Dresden via Cottbus Breslau or Gorlitz. On Wikipedia SUW 2000 VGA is compatible with Rafil V DB VGA