Tvl - Class 101

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by LucasLCC, Mar 31, 2022.

1. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

As many will remember, the Class 101 in Tees Valley Line was a modified version of the Class 101 in Northern Transpennine. The main addition to avoid the stock being completely recycled was the addition of a middle coach.

It's therefore a bit sad to see this middle coach go unused as a result of the preservation updates. Whilst improving realism is generally good, removing a feature to achieve this is not so good. Especially when it's a feature that is advertised on the store page (and still is advertised, like the livery designer on Lurzen is also still advertised).

• Like Like x 10
  2. Yoinkermcskoinker

Yoinkermcskoinker Well-Known Member

I mean the middle coach is still included in diesel legends... not ideal but at least you can get it somewhere

3. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's a shame they've not got around to being able to substitute a 2-car set with a 3-car set etc.

4. CryPosthuman

CryPosthuman Member

And I think it is kind of odd, that they are investing time in such an unimportant thing, while on the other hand there are many many issues in the game, some easy to fix others need time; Instead of giving it thought to make good priorities, they invest so often in absolutely trivial things - things nobody needs. That really is what makes me frustrated.

• Like Like x 2
  5. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

Well there still another problem and thats that liverys can't be used in scenario planner no matter what DMU101's you use.Why can't dgt fix this option for all routes that have dmu 101's and not just TVL.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Heh, OP just said the first thing that came to my mind when I read DTG Natster 's news message.

The 3rd car is what made the Tees Valley BR101 different from the Northern Trans-Pennine BR101, one of the selling points of it not 'just recycling' the same train.

Now the TVL BR101 is 'just recycled' from the NTP BR101...

I've heard the substitution system has its limitations, but I haven't heard DTG has got improving the substitution system on its to-do list. Would be a major win if you ask me. The substitution system could really benefit from some more flexibility.

7. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Absolutely, it would avoid silly duplicate timetables like with the 313

• Like Like x 5
  8. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I assume the 101 from Diesel Legends is already fully livery designer compatible so it isn't that the middle car was removed from TVL to save work?

9. SHINO BAZ

Well have you tried useing a br 101 dmu is scenario planner with a costum livery,i have and not one of the formation options has allowed a costum livery to be used.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Custom liveries now work on the Tees Valley version of the 101, as per the patch notes.
    upload_2022-3-31_20-19-49.png

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

What I am asking is whether on Diesel Legends, which has a 3 car unit, the middle car is livery editor compatible.

12. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

Yeah, it’s for authenticity, I can appreciate that. But I do feel like I’m having part of the product taken away.
    Don’t want diesel legends- too … odd a mixture. so will we get the 3 car put into north trans pennine where it would have been more appropriate to see?
    Such a shame to be limited to scenario planner otherwise.

13. SHINO BAZ

Well thats good to see BUT that's one of the few routes i don't have,i do have GWR diesel legends and NTP both of which have the br dmu 101's and they can't apparently do what TVL now can do.I shouldn't have to buy TVL to use this option.

14. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Well, if it’s more authentic this way, I’m not going to complain but I would have preferred DTG offering seperate timetables for 2- vs 3-car 101s since I was rather fond of the 3-car version.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Clumsy Pacer

Yeah, maybe have one cycle of services that are a 3-car, perhaps would've been better.

16. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

What happened to the scenario where you had to convert a 3 car unit into a 2 car unit?

17. Clumsy Pacer

Still there
    upload_2022-4-1_11-26-10.png

18. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

I don't mind the change too two car units, but they better add in a third car to the NTP units now. If they could go through one timetable to surgically change all the 101's here, then there's no excuse for NTP anymore.
    I'd rather not see multiple timetables unless there's a damn good reason for it. It's one thing to add multiple timetables when you add in a completely different set of stock from a different era, like GWR, or when the new timetable's so different it ends up being a different experience, like Rapid Transit. But having a second timetable when there's so little of a difference in service, stock, or era is silly. I think the better idea would be to add in the third car back to one set of 101 services for variety's sake.

19. Clumsy Pacer

Honestly, I'd rather they move the start point at Darlington for the Saltburn services - I've never seen a DMU stop at the very end of the platform, or anywhere near it.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Lamplight

I get your point. I’d be fine with any solution that keeps at least some 3-car services in the timetable. It’s the complete removal of the 3-car units that irks me for very subjective reasons.

• Like Like x 1
  21. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

You can please some of the people some of the time...

• Like Like x 2
  22. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

For authenticity it would be good if they could use the three car set on some of the NTP services.

Personally as someone who was moaning about the unrealistic three car sets on TVL I am glad they have addressed it but I didn't think they would take three car sets away all together.

Yes that irritates me and something they overcame in TS1 with multiple platform stop markers. It happens at Huddersfield too when a two car unit travels to the far end of the platform rather than in the middle underneath the roof.

• Like Like x 3
  23. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

I assume 3-car sets are still in the scenarios and journey mode right?

24. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

If you don't own the Class 31 loco add-on will you still get the Class 101 services that are otherwise loco hauled by the Class 31? (These substitute in for certain 3-car Class 101 services I think).
    The reason the 3-car set was never introduced on NTP was because it couldn't meet the timetable (extra trailing carriage reduces acceleration) which would muck up the dispatcher so I've heard. Same reason why the Class 31 isn't on NTP either (without adding extra services that is).

• Like Like x 1
  25. Clumsy Pacer

I think the 31 is because of the memory issue at Miles Platting at the time.

They were new services, as they include run-arounds. In any case, services listed under the 31 aren't listed under the 101.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I suppose that is fair enough although I am sure British Rail managed.

• Like Like x 1
  27. lcyrrjp

lcyrrjp Well-Known Member

A bit off-topic, but for anyone who hasn’t tried it, putting a 31 on the class 45/47 schedules on NTP (using Alexander L’s mod) and trying to keep time is one of my favourite challenges on TSW. It can be done, but you really have to thrash it, and get the braking spot on too. The 31’s a great loco, and having it filling in on transpennines is a realistic variation.

• Like Like x 5
  28. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

I'll have to try that at some point, my favourite loco on my favourite route, sounds like very good fun

• Like Like x 1
  29. Scorpion71

Does the 31 just substitute passenger services? I remember a while back I downloaded trainsimcz's mod which was great but if it substituted for a heavy freight haul, it wouldn't move therefore everything in timetable mode just starting coming to a halt at red lights.

30. BlaringHorn

BlaringHorn Well-Known Member

With the love affair Dovetail has with the 101, I would expect the 3-car formation will make an appearance again, sooner or later. :D

• Like Like x 1
  31. lcyrrjp

I don’t know whether it substitutes freight as well, I’m afraid. I don’t drive freight in TSW2 due to the lack of schedules.

32. lcyrrjp

Let’s hope so. The 101 is the best train in TSW2. No route is complete without it. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  33. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I love the class 101 as well although the way DTG have implemented it on certain routes is not the best. I reckon making the class 117 and the 'bubble car' would be great for UK routes or some of them they appeared on.

• Like Like x 1
  34. Scorpion71

Shame nothing has been done on the Class 101 sounds either, still sounds poor and nothing much like a 101.

• Like Like x 2
  35. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I suspect they sampled the sounds from a contemporary preserved version probably retrofitted with Leyland engines (and botched the mix). the 101's at the time the route is set had AEC engines with a quite distinctive "whine".

I can't find a clip on YT of an interior recording but this one of an AEC fitted RM bus is quite similar:
    Musical AEC Routemaster RML2456 (JJD 456D) front seat ride - YouTube

• Like Like x 2
  36. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I'm absolutely loving the new improved Raildriver layout for the 101. Makes it a pleasure to drive.

• Like Like x 2
  37. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Sounds great, what is the biggest difference would you say?

38. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

basically the train brake is now the gear selector rather than the range toogle switch. It doesnt sound much but wow does it make a difference

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  39. RealKenny_D

RealKenny_D Member

First time on the TVL for a while today. I've noted from the forums that the 3-car 101s have gone. I am also missing all 101 services to/from Saltburn. Is this to do with the withdrawl of the 3-cars?

40. Lamplight

The 3-cars are back again. Did you switch to the 3-car versions when trying to find services to/from Saltburn? You need to select the 3-car version in the livery menu for the 101 for these to show.

41. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I think it was not a good idea, when the UI was devised, to use the same routine for selecting both liveries and train length. Should they not be completely separate?

• Like Like x 1
  42. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

About this point a fundamental change for the liveries is nessecary anyway. Looks like dtg didnt think about different time periods. Right now everything is spawning random.

My suggestion was to implement a livery manager for scenario planner 2.0. This way a player can choose era based settings to each route.

• Like Like x 1
  43. PeteW

PeteW Active Member

It's interesting you say that. The only reason I bought this game was because of TVL and how the 101 sounds/feels reminded me of when I was a small kid peering intently into the cab as the 101 travelled back into Darlo station from days out in the 'boro. Felt very emotive.
    So there is something there that can't be too far off the mark.

• Like Like x 2
  44. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Which ones, the AECs or the Leylands?

45. RealKenny_D

RealKenny_D Member

Happy days! Got them back. Thanks for your tip.

46. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

TBH, the default sounds like neither. AEC should be a solid whine under power.
    I reckon they sampled the sound from a bin lorry revving up… :)

• Like Like x 3
  47. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

Agree and i know most of the modernisation plan dmu's, very well.

• Like Like x 2