Xbox Annoying Sound Glitches/problems With Engine Sounds (xbox Series X)

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by thisnamebetterworks, Feb 9, 2022.

1. thisnamebetterworks

thisnamebetterworks Active Member

In the whole game TSW 2, but mostly in the Great Western Express (mostly by using the "Class 166 GWG") a sound glitch appears that fastly repeats a short sequenze of the engine sounds and creates a tremolo. Sometimes the speakers also create hard click-sounds. It appears after some short, but mostly random time periods while driving fast, slow or standing at a station. It dissapears by changing the camera (outside/inside) or after some random time (... guess if the sound effect changes itself. Changing speed with the trains helps to remove the glitch). In the mentioned area [Great Western Express] with the mentioned train [Class 166 GWG], it appears realy ofter: impossible to drive from one small station to the next one without hitting this bug.

But (less frequentet) it [this glitch] also appears in other areas in other trains. One time it appeared (also in the Great Western Express) by using the "Class 08 BLU" while standing outside during coupling waggons; another time in the "ACS-64 V AMTK" in Boston Sprinter.

It [TSW 2] is a realy good game, I put a lot of money into it; and I would do this even more. (Thinking about go on 100% with all DLCs - Why not?! ... well, yes ... there is a reason. Vide supra [/see above]. :/

Hope this maximal annoying glitch will be fixed soon, so I can buy everything and have fun (without the problem that this glitch ruins the pleasure again (and again)).

2. jasonpfc

jasonpfc Well-Known Member

Yep, happens to me on every route, BML is the worst, I play now with the TV on next to mute, just so I dont have to listen to it, which is supper annoying and immersion braking for me, and I very much hope this is on the priority list for fixing.

3. thisnamebetterworks

At least it is a good sign, that more people have this issue. Because the chances that it will be fixed soon (or at all) rise.
    I am still not sure, if I should buy more DLCs; it is a big thing ... not only bad polish. :/

A good bug fixing support is very important (even if it take some work). Ubisoft could be callen here as a good (and known) example for these effects (the positive and the negative ones), if we look on the last ca. 8 years.

4. thisnamebetterworks

I just ask myself: Has anyone else (especially on XBox Series X (/S)) had this experience with the "Tremolo-Sound-Bug"?

5. ethan#3478

ethan#3478 Member

They know how to fix this but there dont know what other issues its going to cause beleive that matt said that will take more memory up more memory as the fix a not simple. Everyone who plays xbox will come across this bug its xbox issue i find its this is bad great western as mentioned west somerset and cathcart circle and london brighton as mentioned i drive the 465 alot as ive notice dont think i ever get this issue with the 465

6. thisnamebetterworks

So, if I understand you right, then you claim that Dovetail knows that parts of their game are broken, but keep selling them for the full price without a hint. (Things start to become interessting.)

Do you have a quote or a statement (link?), where Dovetails said, that they are unable to fix this problem for the XBox (Series X) System?

• Like Like x 1
  7. NateDogg7a

NateDogg7a Well-Known Member

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/posts/417953/

I think this is the most recent post in regards to the Xbox sound issue, but there are certainly others. As suggested, a fix has been described as possible, although perhaps very time- and memory-intensive. If you search the forums enough, I believe you will find these statements.

As to whether or not they can sell the game this way, there are other games with more than just sound problems that sell for full price (NASCAR Ignition, I'm looking at you). Of course, TSW has way more wrong with it than just sound. I suppose if this issue is a game breaker for you, then you can try to get a refund, and considering the current state of the game, if this sound issue is a game breaker, then you definitely SHOULD try to get a refund. As for me, I still believe, or at least I want to, although I've been holding off any additional DLC for now, unless XBox has a DLC sale, which happens never.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

If anyone has (or can record) some examples of a range of trains exhibiting this issue and send me links that'd be appreciated.

Gathering as much example of it as possible at the moment to help the audio engineer.

Trying to record it off my xbox series s and waddyaknow, now its suddenly very rarely happening :)

Thanks
    Matt.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  9. thisnamebetterworks

Sure, I can help collect examples of this problem. Unfortunately, this problem occurs very often with the XBox Series X (or at least mine). As I said: It happens mostly on the Great Western Express but I noticed, it is also not uncommon on the Arosaline.

~

Two other aspects observed concerning this issue that might help: On some playthroughs it happens like 8 - 10 times, on some only 1-2 times in the same Time Schedule Mission (Great Western Express). Sometimes this problem seems to start randomly, sometimes it might be triggered by passing a bridge or a small tunnel - or at least a special region on the map.

If sound effects are affected by this issue, that will disappear after changing the camera (1st <=> 3rd person) => the issue also disappears. Like one second later, the sounds plays normal again if the camera is changed back. It happens in 1st and 3rd person view.
    Sometimes sounds are affacted, that don't disappear by changing the camera (1st <=> 3rd person), then the issue seems to stay as long as the sound effect is existing. (Sometimes it disappear after a stop - highly probable because the sounds disappeared during the stop, too.)

~

Well ...
    I hope samples in bad quality - recorded with the mobile phone (outdoor model) - are enaugh.
    Don't have other mobile equipment at the moment to record sounds - and my XBox is ... well ... a train ride away from my PC.

(It also might take a while - hard to predict. I am a very busy person - jobwise. More problems at one of our locations => much more to do for me.)

I also hope that other ones (like jasonpfc) can help here, too.

~

P. S. Sorry for using evil political tricks to attract attention. >;)
    TSW 2 is a great game, otherwise I wouldn't invest time and try to help to fix some issues (which are - sure - for me important, too).

10. jasonpfc

I'm already on the case and have several clips/recordings already. London commuter is a bug hitter for me, same with the 101 ( uk )

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. thisnamebetterworks

I tried to record the sound issue on the beautiful Arosaline. Very annoying and loud clicking tremolo sounds shown up and that ride was sadly an "issue-fest".
    It was definitly one of the engine sounds. It was present in 3rd and 1st person view. (So it was not removable by changing the camera). But it disappeared if you stop the train: The engine was coming down, the sounds became silent. Then, after driving off, the sound issue was gone. But after about 1 minute, another one appeared. But I think it was like 3-4x the same engine sound that was affected.

The sad problem is, that the quality of the material is ... you don't even recognizable, that there is a loco in the converted *.3gp film clips.

As I said, outdoor phone, a GSM only outdoor phone ... and it is not new. It had contact with like 1.000l rainwater, was pressed about 100x on a rock and has fallen added up to about 25 meters into the depth (with the with the corresponding hard landing ;)

Need to find another way to record the issue :/

... or buy a new phone? No, I like it - 3-4 weeks without charging the (not standard) battery, even at temperatures below 0°C.

12. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Give me a good service or two to run and i'll try to capture it myself :)

13. thisnamebetterworks

I think I will take my notebook home from my office, it should be able to record audio and video better than 20x20 blur pixles ... and with better audio as an old Game Boy underwater. ;) ... ... this was the result of my mobile phone, yes ...
    (Our digital camera can't make movies. It can make very good pictures, but can't record video or audio. *sigh*)

14. thisnamebetterworks

@everyone
    Come on, folks, who can help out with material for the mentioned issue above?
    (The problem, that the XBox Series X is not very common yet ... sigh ...)

15. thisnamebetterworks

I recorded a bigger sound issue in the Peninsula Corridor by using the MP15DC CT. Any idea where to post/share the videos? (*.mp4, recorded with a notebook)

In TSW 1, the sound issue was not existing.

P. S.
    I bought a Seagate Storage Expansion for my XBox Series X (because my hard disc is pretty full and the external ones (USB-SSDs) are a bit to slow for the more modern games. If it arrives, I will transfer TSW 2 on it. If the storage is a bit faster than the hard disc in the XBox, it might change something ... ... I don't know, ... but will test it.)

16. shimarin

shimarin Active Member

thisnamebetterworks

You can hold the Share button to record videos on Xbox Series consoles.

EDIT: you can upload the videos to the Xbox Network and share the links for them, or you can use your PC or Android/iOS device to download the videos, and upload them to a video sharing website

BR Class 166:

BR Class 387:

BR Class 377:

BR Class 20:

BR Class 313:

BR Class 43:
    https://youtu.be/z0-mavJd7JE

BR Class 31:
    https://youtu.be/7Ssw2_FG2Kw

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  17. thisnamebetterworks

Sure, I can record videos directly on my XBox Series X; and they will stuck directly on my XBox Series X, because I don't use any connection (not directly nor digital) to a hard disc, storage stick or dropbox. And it will stay this way.

18. thisnamebetterworks

Sry, as said, I can't connect my XBox with the PCs and Notebooks I use. Can't go into detail, but ... you know Home Office and ... and ... yeah, can't talk over details.

@all
    The thing is, I have already a few videos (*.mp4) - as said above - but I wonder where I can uplad/share them now. (If it works and helps, I can record more, if the issue appears again.)

19. thisnamebetterworks

Tees Valley using the Class-20 is nearly the worst ever concerning this issue. Always with loud clicking.

I think this issue has two components.
    1) The tremolo fast repeating sounds, which are also existing in e. g. Arosaline.
    2) The clicking sound (also good audiable in shimarin's videos). The clicking mixed with the tremolo is worst. But you can hear the clicking before it repeats: in the Tees Valley, but also in the Great Western Express, mostly if you use the Class 166.

The clicking is not always part of the issue, maybe it is a side effect - ... but I think it must have something to do with it: Otherwiese the clicking won't be the major aspect, that the tremolo repeats.

I also have a short video from the Class 20 in the Tees Valley which contains the clicking mixed with the tremolo. I bet on a sound, that creates (only in 1st person view) driving noises. It disappears after changing the camera or stopping the train. (No effect by setting the engines on idle in this case.) Unfortunately it is realy fast back, if you continue to drive after stopping or changing the camera.

In Tees Valley there is also a bug, that closes the whole game after completing a mission with the Class 20. Happened 3 times now. It looks like, the main menu isn't loading; ... means you keep your rewards (luckily).

(Plus: Still my question, where to uplaod/post/share my *.mp4 videos? (If still needed?))

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
  20. jakewakefield08

jakewakefield08 Member

I'm getting the same issue. I have a video of it. If anyone from DTG can reply to this so with a email i can send the video to that would be great.

21. jasonpfc

Random one, do you have a youtube account/channel? It's best to upload it there, and link the video, it then bypass the length requirements and helps DTG find it again if needs must

22. jakewakefield08

jakewakefield08 Member

Unfortunately not no.

23. thisnamebetterworks

Have found out a few new things concerning the problem/error.
    (No new videos, because I still have no place where to upload/send/share them.)

1. The clicking (without the repeating tremolo) seems to be in the sound data already, more exactly on the first millisecond of the sound file. If the sound repeats (tremolo like) it repeats the clicking aswell. Because very often (especially in the Class 20) it repeats parts of the beginning sound file.
    The Class 20 has a clicking noise, but also the Class 166.

2. I also found out, that the issue is bound to the loco and seems to "infest" always the same sound datas that are bound to a loco. The Class 20 seems to have a very vulnerable sound file (which also have a clicking noise at; very often the tremolo and the clicking noise mix up into a maximal annoying glitch). In the Class 20 the issue is (sadöy) very present after 1-3 minutes, sometimes even seconds while driving (even slowly).
    If you use the Class 20 on other tracks/ in other regions (with the scenario editor), the issue is present as in any other track.

3. Other locos have the issue more or less - some have it very rare, some - like the SD40 - have other sounds that hide a tremolo -, some have silent engines and rolling noise (especially electric locos) which also hide the - silent - tremolo.
    One time I had this issue in the Sand Patch Grade and it was effecting the noise of the squealing rail in the curve. Was using one of the SD40 locos.

4. I moved TSW 2 now on my SEAGATE Storage Expansion, it loads a bit faster, but the issue is (sadly) still present. No effect.

~

@ Dovetail
    Is there already some progress in fixing the issue? It is realy immersion breakting and forces me to other games; the effect of this (max. annoying) issue often creates a great feeling of disappointment. :( :(

24. jasonpfc

I spoke with matt last night, and he said they have all the recordings they need, and it's with the audio team now, but hadn't hard anything ( up to last night ) from them about a time frame/progress etc

25. LabRat1966

LabRat1966 New Member

Yes, this happens all the time on all routes for me as well on Series X.

26. thisnamebetterworks

Let's hope for the best and keep our fingers crossed for Dovetail, especially the sound- / audio-team. ;)
    Would be epic, if this issue would disappear again.

27. yokaigpx#7540

yokaigpx#7540 Member

Hi,
    I have the same problem, on almost all maps and all trains. annoying !!
    a fix would be nice

-Xbox série X-

28. yokaigpx#7540

yokaigpx#7540 Member

Hi,

Dovetail game, news ? Any feedback on this issue would be welcome.
    This problem has been present on your game for more than a year!

his affects the immersion of the game, and makes the games very unpleasant!
    Thanks

• Like Like x 2
  29. yokaigpx#7540

yokaigpx#7540 Member

On Xbox Série X, exemple :

• Like Like x 1
  30. thisnamebetterworks

More than one year is not a small amount. This issue/bug sounds even worse, than I thought.

Information about a (at least approximate) date of fixing is urgently needed in this case.
    (Otherwise I fear, there is the possibility, that this issue/bug will never been fixed (?).)

I nearly bought 80% of the game and the DLCs (planed to go and stay on 100%, ... when the issue/bug will be fixed). If the issue will be fixed, I think I could also rate everything in the XBox-Shop with 5 stars. Yes, because I think, the contents are worth 5 starts. (Would be some work to rate everything, ... maybe that's why there are not very much ratings at all yet.)

But if the issue would still be here, I don't think that a five star rating would be that fitting for every content. I hope I am not forced to rate everything in the shop with less than 3 starts. But ... well ... the issue/bug affects everything :/

Well, I'm sure we'll get some info soon, about a date when the problem/bug should be fixed (at the latest); so we lose our - perhaps emerging - bad feelings.

• Like Like x 2
  31. yokaigpx#7540

yokaigpx#7540 Member

Hi,

I approve. I am in the same situation.

I bought all the dlc, on console, for a rather substantial price.

I would really like the problems to be corrected within a reasonable time, and not, like certain bugs, present in TSW, present in TSW2, and corrected 2 years after the game was released.

a response, consideration of requests, by DTG would be desirable

• Like Like x 1
  32. jakewakefield08

jakewakefield08 Member

Any news on this matt.?

Thank you
    J Wakefield

• Like Like x 1
  33. yokaigpx#7540

yokaigpx#7540 Member

Dovetail to absent subscribers.( Trainsim Matt ?? )

a follow-up, an answer, would be nice... but even that apparently requires a lot of effort. On the other hand, the DLC policy works very well and is there

DTG, can you please consider our requests on these very, very, annoying bugs??? sound and other flashes of light that hurt the eyes terribly??

can you, please, give news on the evolution of the consideration of our requests, the evolution on a patch?

Thanks

• Like Like x 2
  34. jasonpfc

This is what was said on the roadmap stream on tuesday

35. yokaigpx#7540

yokaigpx#7540 Member

No speak English, Sorry. I' Speak French

Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
  36. jasonpfc

Rules of the forums mean we have to talk english. But on this occasion...

En gros, l'équipe audio étudie un correctif, mais cela prendra un peu de temps.

• Like Like x 1
  37. yokaigpx#7540

yokaigpx#7540 Member

Thanks
    Sorry, my English IS very Bad

Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
  38. jakewakefield08

jakewakefield08 Member

Use Google translate

39. yokaigpx#7540

yokaigpx#7540 Member

Hi,
    I do it. but for the youtube roadmap, it's a bit more complicated lol

40. jakewakefield08

jakewakefield08 Member

Oh right haha sorry i was thinking of the forums

41. thisnamebetterworks

(Means: in English: >>Basically, the audio team is looking for a fix, but it will take a little time.<<)

Well, this makes me a little more worried. I realy hope, Dovetail Games is not playing on time in this causa; well, even if they try to fix it, maybe they are not sure, if they can successfully do it.
    ==> worst case scenario: In the end, nothing will happen to the XBox Series X user; ... well nothing, exept that the selling numbers for further upcoming titles from Dovetail Games will collapse, mainly in the XBox sector of course.

(No, I don't want anything bad for Dovetail Games; but I think it's important to emphasize that this is not about a trifle, but about something that is really crucial for the future in terms of the projects that follow.

What I always say to my employees in similar cases: No pressure, no stress - do everything nicely relaxed. But don't disappoint us! ;D )

Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  42. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

I've downloaded the Harlem add-on and this audio glitch happens frequently with both trains. It is so frustrating buying a new add-on only to be reminded this issue is why I don't play as much as I used to. It happened in the tutorial and on the first service I played. This is Xbox One X so the issue is probably more frequent than Series X.

43. yokaigpx#7540

yokaigpx#7540 Member

OTE="L89, post: 466714, member: 17465"]I've downloaded the Harlem add-on and this audio glitch happens frequently with both trains. It is so frustrating buying a new add-on only to be reminded this issue is why I don't play as much as I used to. It happened in the tutorial and on the first service I played. This is Xbox One X so the issue is probably more frequent than Series X.[/QUOTE]

Hi,
    I confirm to you. I also had this problem on Xbox One X scorpion, Xbot One fat, as well as on Xbox series X. I'm disgusted. playing with this sound problem is very unpleasan

44. thisnamebetterworks

Today there were updates for nearly every DLC ... I thought: "Okay, maybe the the sound issue has been patched finally." But unfortunately, it wasn't. I reinstalled/redownloaded the whole game including all DLCs, which took more than half the day. (Of course, I didn't know at the time that the bug wasn't fixed.) ... and, after the first 30 seconds in the game, the bug appeared again!

And that's not all for today (regarding TSW2): I bought the new "Luzern - Sursee DLC"; and hooray, there is another big glitch: The train driver is shown in "initial pose" (means: standing, arms stretched to the right and left - glitched in the train driver's seat). Now I was angry ... well at that time I did not know that even this forum does not work to report the bug. I couldn't log in for about 6 hours.
    (If I was angry before that, guess how I feel now.)

I realy, realy regret that I bought additional content before the sound bug has been fixed! Also that new content is even more bugged.

It remains for me - finally - to open another topic to point out the thick bug (at: Luzern - Sursee). And: (if I find a bit of time soon) to evaluate the entire content as it should be honestly evaluated (also in terms of the sound bug).
    (Tip: Since the sound is about 40% - 50% of a game, the rating will hardly exceed 2.5 stars. ... at least for now).
    I also see no reason to wait, since there is no known date, deadline or schedule ... too bad.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
  45. nockwurst

nockwurst Well-Known Member

The answer is never, it will never be fixed. I love this game, but I wish they’d be honest and just admit their mistakes (which they have done I suppose), but I also wish they’d stop stringing it along. Audio issues. Preservation issues. We get it, you’re gonna keep making new content ‘cause people gotta eat. No problem. Just be honest and admit that some of these issues are never gonna get fixed. Post it in the appropriate forum and pin it, so it’s there forever. So the next new user goes “what’s this annoying popping sound?” And before he can post he’s already read it in the pinned post.

• Like Like x 1
  46. thisnamebetterworks

That's a pretty radical statement. I hope that something will move soon.
    But the longer the problem (on and on) drags on, the more I fear that your statement might be true.

TSW (especially TSW 2) appeared in cooperation with Microsoft or XBox Live on the front page (under "Game Pass" offers).
    This automatically means that TSW ... or better Dovetail Games have to compete in the highest league, with many Triple A and Live Support Games.

The good news: A great opportunity and probably a very large recognition for their works (especially TSW 2 in this case).
    The bad news: Huge pressure to stay at the top and tu realy use this unique chance. (Yes, I also see it here as my duty to deliver this pressure ... or better to point it out ;) ...)
    Many succeeded only briefly. The list is long... would be a real pity if TSW (2) or DTG would be added on this list soon. :(

(As said, I realy like TSW 2, I wouldn't waste my time here, if I wouldn't. But the competitive pressure is overwhelmingly high: for many players, it is "one bigger bug", and that's it; no second chance for a game, no long waiting for a patch - cool content of a game is not even seen/bought.
    In the following project, sales then collapse (massively). You could see it many times - with very big names.
    So you have to say much more here, too: Too bad for a possible TSW 3, 4 or similar.)

47. LeXXuz

LeXXuz Member

I've experienced these engine sound stutters on any Xbox so far. It already was an issue with TSW2020 on an Xbox One S.
    From my experience these stutters appear more often on weaker consoles.

I've run TSW2 on Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X with stutters appearing randomly on any track/train.
    Once these stutters appear they will not go away until I go back to the main menu or complete the route.

On the weak Xbox One S it's even worse because sometimes the sound disappears completely a few seconds after these stutters begin to start. Then the entire game is muted and even menu sounds can't be heard anymore. When that happens the only thing that helps is to dashboard, close the game and restart anew.

It's very annoying. :(

Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  48. ILied

ILied Active Member

Matt talked to other game studios and it requires a complete re-engineering of the sounds. This isn’t as trivial as you’re suggesting. The whole game needs to be rebuilt. Sufficient testing also needs to be done so that the game isn’t affected in any other way. Please be patient with this process. It’s something that requires a bit more time than is maybe desirable but please know the fix is on its way. We may not be getting day to day progress on the issue but it doesn’t mean it’s not being worked on. At the other end are other humans and they’re doing a job, they do need time to get on with the job.

Apologies for the rant but this has been mentioned multiple times on stream and the problem is known but the fix is bigger than we think.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
  49. thisnamebetterworks

If I have learned something, it is that if the customer complains, it is certainly not the customer's fault, but the one who sold or wants to sell something.

Furthermore, I noticed that DTG had much more time than I initially thought. I suspect little to nothing happened because the pressure was just too small. (Yes, I saw the last "roadmap video/stream"... especially the faces at the end, when the topic mentioned here was dealt with ...)

Besides (this sounds tough now, but I see no reason not to bring this argument), if they had done it right in the beginning, there is no reason to have to repair anything. After all, the XBox system is not a small fringe group system ...

Whenever mistakes are made, it is said that we are all just human beings...

Sounds kind of stupid. If my teams don't make mistakes at work, they aren't automatically gods ><
    Or am I wrong?

My expectations have not changed, the issue/bug has to go; asap.
    Why? Because it is the best for DTG and TSW 2. ;)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  50. ILied

ILied Active Member

OK. Let me elaborate on a couple of things for you. The system used for Xbox currently is very memory friendly, which means the game isn’t prone to crashing because of the sound system. Also it’s the Xbox preparatory format being used at the moment, which means in the end the issue lies with Microsoft to fix in the Xbox OS, have they? No, are people haranguing Microsoft in the same way as they are DTG? No. Have studios tried to get the issue fixed? Most likely, but have given up and moved to a different system, which is what the solution here is. Other games don’t have the same memory footprint as TSW2 so it’s possible for them to change over quickly. Here it’s a memory impact. The new system uses more memory. If you want it to work only on Gen 9 consoles, keep pressuring DTG to get it out by all means but I suspect you’re on Gen 8 so it means it won’t help you. Gen 8 is already having memory issues, pressuring them to upgrade the sounds just because they’re “annoying” and/or “immersion breaking” will force them to not put it out on Gen 8. The game works, this isn’t a Class A bug, it’s annoying yes but the game isn’t broken so be grateful you have a working game. The fact it changes the game in a major way means we just have to be patient. Who knows it might be part of the core update for this summer? Compared to the PS5 issue, that is a game breaking and a Class A bug imposed by Sony, this is nothing.