Negative Review Question?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by raptorengineer, Apr 1, 2022.

1. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

what happens when DTG dlc get negative review on steam?

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Absolutely nothing.

3. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Might put some potential buyers off but in terms of motivating the developer to put things tight, probably very little.

4. TimeSlicedDanny

TimeSlicedDanny Active Member

For me a lot depends on the details given in the review. If they are considered and supported by facts then it makes me less likely to buy. If they are not I ignore them.

OldVern is a bit pessimistic. I have seen some DLC that's had -ve reviews be updated/improved, but it's impossible to know if the reviews led to the fix.

• Like Like x 1
  5. hayward.john48

hayward.john48 Well-Known Member

Negative reviews did not stop me buying the F3s and we await DTG releasing the update(s) that DTM have sent them.

6. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I have bought quite a lot of content which has quite an amount of negative reviews, often though it has been updated by DTG or someone else like AP since the review. Some of it in my experience hasn't been as bad as the review suggested.

I have had good meals in restaurants which have had some awful reviews on trip advisor. Someone left a negative review about Worcester Cathedral because it didn't have a roller coaster inside it!

I think generally all reviews should be read in context.

7. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

They're not deleting them.;)

In case of Tohoku, they replied to the negative reviews pointing out that the package got updated.

8. raptorengineer

ah i see. can steam take down a dlc base on how bad review is.

9. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Well that is pretty disappointing tbf.

• Like Like x 1
  10. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

No. The developer or DTG can do that, but not Steam.

And I don't give much on reviews - I've seen many bad ones that were probably the result of not reading the requirements or the manual.

• Like Like x 3
  11. raptorengineer

at this stage most of all dlc for train simulator had been good or mixed witch mean dtg can slide on dev dlc and it won't hurt them cause most dlc is good review.

12. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Steam Reviews are the worst. I don't pay any attention to them at all unless they break down both positives and negatives, they are so few that it's not worth looking.

The worst bit is that for DLC you can't see the time played so you don't know how much time the person actually spent playing it.

To be honest I don't even refer to these forums. There are a lot on here (and this is not a criticism) that are bothered by details that are just not a big issue to me. I avoided TSW2020 because of posts on here and when I eventually bought it, I really enjoyed it.

For me preview streams are what I'll watch and if I'm still not sure, I'll wait for a stream by a YouTuber whose opinion I respect. If all else fails there is always the refund option.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I remember alot of people gave VRC's C39-8's a bad review because they thought the cab was backwards.

News flash, most of those C39-8s were set up to run LHF.

14. ex_railwayman

ex_railwayman Active Member

Some of the Steam reviews are so daft they make me scream with laughter, you can't trust folks to read things properly in the product descriptions and manuals at all.
    There was one from a couple of year's ago, it was regarding a DMU Class 150, I think it was, and it quite clearly stated on the DLC page that owing to the scripting it couldn't be driven using an Xbox controller, so, what happens, the first reviewer types -
    ''Useless DLC more rubbish from DTG, plugged in my Xbox controller, this DMU wouldn't move, pushed and pulled so many levers, it's an absolute piece of junk, can't recommend this at all.''

So, take many of the reviews with a pinch of salt and don't base your choice to purchase, or, not, without reading everything thoroughly.

Cheerz. Steve.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

But seriously, the Xbox controller does not work. :cool:

16. raptorengineer

i would think review would help or least give another view on fixes for company to work on. also that 2 hour refund would open up developers eyes in dlc. cause there losing money or something like that. but if there tons of people that buy dlc cause they like it and don't care about bugs then i guess it won't matter.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
  17. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

Depends.
    As for me, I check the reviews and if it appears to have many problems, I steer away, as there are many other options.
    But it could also just mean that I don't expect much. The F3 DLC comes with a lot of rolling stock, for example.

Negative reviews are a bit relative, though. The SP Cab Forward is terribly bug ridden, yet it has a 83% score. On the other hand, I've thoroughly enjoyed several DLC in the 40% range, such as Donner Pass.

DTG did improve a few over the years, while others are sadly forgotten.
    Not quire sure about the logic, as most usually the reviews are about something taking a few hours at most.
    In a few cases the original developer cannot be involved.
    Tons of DLC have been taken off the shelves proactively, by the way. Since about 2012 the standard is fairly high.