Whats Your Biggest Niggle With Tsw?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by redrev1917, Mar 31, 2022.

1. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Im sure we have our own minor niggles within the game, something which isnt a bug or a big issue with the game play yet still add your experience if it was changed, even if you accept that the work involved wouldnt really justify the improvement? So whats yours?

I'll start off with a few of my own.

For services which would have a guard.
    An AI guard to open and close the doors where prototypical and then buzz/whistle us off when its time to depart. This could be a setting which can be turned on and off for those of us who want to open/close doors.

For services which wouldnt have a guard
    In game sound notifiying us when its time to close the doors after loading. This is the biggest thing which stops me from driving completely HUDless.

Weather/Months Settings - no option to have randomised settings.

A paper timetable etc - most passenger services have a clipboard in cab where the driver can refer to the service. It would be cool if this was modelled to make driving HUDless that little bit easiser.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
    • Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  2. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

A first person body.

Completely useless for the majority of people, but since the game allows me to get up, please make me feel like I'm actually in the game as well. Looking down seeing nothing takes me out the experience, and how much would I like it if the game would add options to sit down on benches, on train stations, and watch the trains arrive and depart.

Another addition in that department would be "Outside the cab" controlling. In most rolling stock, we can climb on the sidings and hold onto them. They have no use, but would have, if we could control our shunting loco from that position.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
    • Like Like x 7
  3. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I'd like a more customizable HUD and smaller interface elements.

I'd also like a Quick Drive alike feature that combines the freedom of scenario planner and the ease of timetable mode (so, kinda like an unlimited Off-The-Rails substitution system for timetable mode).

• Like Like x 5
  4. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

That tsw has diggers working when you go past and our new simulator has countless lazy boarded up assets

• Like Like x 5
  5. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

The lack dynamic weather. I wish dtg would add dynamic weather in the timetable mode of the game.

Another thing is the audio issues on the lirr m7. I wish dtg would finally fix that issue once and for all

• Like Like x 7
  6. dosto762

dosto762 Well-Known Member

Lack of dynamic events like railway workers or minor diversions, would be nice to see stuff like temporary speed limits due to a failed railway crossing or a minor track diversoon due to platform closure. Small things like that make a simulation a simulation

• Like Like x 18
  7. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

IMO that's all chrome. For me, the No. 1 absolute biggest top priority upgrade needed is a working save routine.

• Like Like x 13
  8. tallboy7648

Im sure we will have a working save function in another 5 years at this rate :(

• Like Like x 3
  9. redrev1917

I class that as a (major) bug rather than a niggle TBH

• Like Like x 6
  10. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Having routes less or around the hour means saving isn’t really as high as it’s made out to be

• Like Like x 1
  11. tallboy7648

Even so some players may have to do something meaning they have to quit and potentially restart the service later on which is no fun. Also there are some services/scenarios that are more than an hour long so a working save feature would be convenient more many players and is an industry standard in the video game market

• Like Like x 5
  12. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

• Timetable services which give you very little time to set up the cab before you’re already behind schedule.
    • Being forced to watch the route intro.
    • Horns which don’t fade out but abruptly end.

• Like Like x 21
  13. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Lack of:
    1. Proper night lighting and/or effective headlights.
    2. A real, living, breathing world with people walking/ talking/ biking around, ambient sounds, live animals, vehicular traffic with horns etc., signs of working factories etc. In other words, not the post apocalyptic world we mostly drive in at present.

• Like Like x 19
  14. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

The list is kinda long, but my main issue is the lack of consistency between DLC with regards to features: we have multiple copies of the same loco with different problems and functionality, new features are introduced only to never be seen again (wet platforms, RH passengers, DRA night Lighting just to name a few), the 363 being made avaible for free with other routes, thus drastically reducing the value of the loco DLC. Even the roadmap is inconsistent with it's ever-changing format and increasingly less meaningful content.

Great DLCs followed by low-effort money grabs, the whole masquerade of the preserved collection updates, the QA joke, the lack of features that are present in the much older TS, the marketing team outright lying to us...
    Yeah, the list goes on...

• Like Like x 12
  15. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Also, around here in the summer, thunderstorms can frequently cause the power to blip- just a momentary interruption of service, but enough to cause a computer reboot and the loss of all unsaved progress.

• Like Like x 1
  16. The_Drunken_Engineer

The_Drunken_Engineer Well-Known Member

A lack of scenarios. Many times a train will have 50+ services yet they are all the same time length and basically is point a to point b or point b to point a. I understand that may be how it actually is irl but some variation would be appreciated. There should be ten scenarios for each train. Many issues I understand due to hardware limitations etc but a measly 5 per route or so just seems lazy. Especially for those of us not on PC, as the scenario planner is very limited in scope.

• Like Like x 6
  17. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I think the OP covers niggles quite well, though I would regard the function of the Guard as somewhat more significant and should be implemented in a future version. Doors should not be controlled by the driver on trains where this is not the case in real life.

Now in fact thinking about it and still on the subject of doors... They should not be opening on sections of the train not on the platform, whether due to being a genuine short platform or stopping in the wrong position. This is unprototypical and in reality would be a serious operational irregularity. In the case of manually operated doors, passengers would walk forward to the first available door on the platform. Power door stock would require the driver to either correct the stopping position, or in the case of stations with known short platforms the person responsible for door release use SDO where fitted, or open one door only under local control for passengers to board and leave. An example of that would be Berney Arms or Dilton Marsh.

• Like Like x 10
  18. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

That fact that TS has working features that are not in TSW2, for example:-

Neutral Sections
    Sparks
    Random closing doors on old slam door stock
    Driver/Guard buzzer
    ATP (for HST)
    No Tunnel reverb

plus many more.

I won't mention the major niggles I have, like lighting.....sound.... ok I'd better stop there!

• Like Like x 13
  19. champs7007

champs7007 Guest

Lack of guards on trains
    No Dynamic Weather
    A lot of routes are quiet short, or we have routes that basically are two parts of the same route but can't be merged because they was made at different times, start with the bigger route to begin with.
    Actually having stop markers at all stations (SEHS London Commuter yes I'm looking at both of you!) and actual stop car locations rather than having a 4 car go right down the end, or an 8 car stop at the 4 car mark but then have 2 coaches off the rear.
    Better night lighting
    Having the safety systems already active on trains before loading in.
    Lots I can think of these are just a few

• Like Like x 5
  20. Cyklisten

Cyklisten Well-Known Member

Dynamic weather and better weather effects like thunderstorms and different cloud types.

• Like Like x 4
  21. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

Being unable to enable/disable substitutions on routes is pretty annoying to me.

Sure, most substitutions on routes are fine, but if a route decides to add a train you don’t want on one of the routes, you’re stuck with it. My previous favorite route, the Sand Patch Grade, became a lot less enjoyable when they started putting Union Pacific trains on the loco selection screen. I should be allowed to keep it a pure CSX route. The substitution thing would also be nice for other routes, perhaps I don’t want any BR 143s appearing on one of my German routes, for example.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

My biggest niggle is the lack of skilled personnel at DTG which leads to mistake after mistake after mistake being released. Just updated the TVL route and low and behold all the service runs I'd already completed have disappeared. All the medals earned for the Class 37, Class 31 and Class 20 gone

• Like Like x 3
  23. Thorgred

Thorgred Active Member

the annoying bright light bugs at certain stations
    the not perfect fitting land textures (slight gaps in mountains)
    no lightning storms

24. al.

al. Member

The fact that route extensions are not a thing for DTG given how short (especially the highspeed routes (excluding LGV) really are).
    Also the restrictiveness of the game, im sure other third party developers would like to get their hands on the plattform too.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Ighten

Ighten Member

The whole menu niggles me - I seem to have to press way more buttons than should be necessary just to even start the darn game and dont get me started on the sliding route menu display that speeds past what your looking for

• Like Like x 8
  26. redrev1917

Freight services not having a timetable is another niggle of mine and not prototypical.

• Like Like x 5
  27. Agent Llama

Agent Llama Member

- lack of randomise month/weather button in timetable mode
    - PS5 has no way to tell which of the toggles for weather effects (clouds, precipitation etc) you're on because it highlights the whole box rather than each individual slider
    - services that give you no time to set up the train before departure
    - arrival/departure times that end in a random number of seconds
    - rain sounds when driving through a tunnel e.g. RRO
    - lack of animals/livestock in the vast tracts of agricultural land we drive through - I can only think of West Somerset, maybe also East Coastway, as having any. Arosalinie, for example, is a desolate wasteland, as is Hamburg-Lubeck; similarly, the lack of birds in the sky apart from seagulls; better ambient sounds would help create the illusion of this

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  28. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

No we won't. Train Simulator never had a working save function and it has been around considerably longer than 5 years. I've learned to live without. Either complete a run in one go, or don't even start it.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I actually like it. I never liked being on a clock, I've learned to ignore it as much as possible.

• Like Like x 1
  30. frank1116

frank1116 Well-Known Member

1.The invisible wall which limits moving to nearby objects and often makes it impossible to move free within an railway station. So a bit more “open world” like the walkway around Lake Arosa.

2.Night lighting. Appearance and timing. Missing integral lights

3.Light effects which can be seen from outside, but not from drivers cab.

4.The flickering dashboard of the BR425, which is known since more than one year

5.The sounds of LIRR, which is known since more than one year which leads to 6.

6.Ignorance of the Developer, which could also be (quote Jamy) lack of skilled personnel at DTG

7.Tonns of Gigabyte for updates for routes which I do not have

8.The fear of an update which might kill a working route/loco.

9.The phrase “we understand your frustration”

10.The fact that a customer opens this thread instead of DTG

11.Water. Do we need to send photos to make them aware how a lake, river, sea looks like ?

12.Unused and dead side yards

13.Too less amount of buildings. To have an equal building in the Mediterranean and Germany is simply poor.

14.Misleading information because of wrong or incorrect translation

15.Limitations in scenario planner

16. Lack of transparency concerning what will be fixed. Many users are still in hope that bug fixes will be provided. Based on the “LIRR behavior” the DTG meaning is “forget it, buy another DLC”

• Like Like x 9
  31. Ighten

Ighten Member

Which numpty thought the sub menu screen would be great set inside a station so we can fine tune those outside lighting and weather effects - DOH

Luckily it can be changed

The turned up to 11 intro music followed by the turned to zero sounds in the cab

• Like Like x 8
  32. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

DLC limit on the playstation 5. Annoying as I own most dlc, but I can only choose a small amount to download and play because of the limit. Its nearly 6 months now since they said there was a 'fix'

• Like Like x 2
  33. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

The dead world the trains run in.

Frozen simple models of people on a street, leaning over a fence, in a garden, standing by a car or just chatting behind a warehouse.
    It was done years ago in TS on the Portland Terminal.
    Even though the street running was at 15mph, the people on the street just added to the illusion.

• Like Like x 8
  34. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

This could turn out to be too much work for nothing (as it is arguably a useless feature), but overall more freedom of where we can walk - further from the track, up a hill with a nice view, maybe outside the station? Some routes have done it already (SMH, DRA, even Arosa), but it would be interesting to see a bit more of it here and there. TSW is fairly unique with the freedom of being a person in a train world but doesn't seem to be using it as much as it could.

• Like Like x 3
  35. Tanglebones

Tanglebones Well-Known Member

For me it's the lack of consistency and forethought. I get that they prefer that a route be self-contained, but this only leads to multiple variants of trains as others have pointed out and that's just a recipe for frustration. I really do think their approach needs to be reconsidered and restructured to be more modular. One version of a loco only, called on those routes that require it. That way, bug fixes are applied once and cover every route that loco is used on.

I love that they come up with good ideas to push into new areas, but then they drop it. It's a flash in the pan, like that fantastic night lighting on the Dresden route in Rush Hour. Or the wet platforms, as mentioned above. IMO, there should be some sort of 'checklist of minimums' that are incorporated into every route. I think this would go a long way to cutting the number of (legitimate) complaints in half.

And passengers. Le sigh. Why is it I still pull into a station that only sees one train every few hours, and still have passengers staring into the open doors without moving? I think each passenger should be assigned a destination station on spawning and given the ability to move to the nearest door when a train pulls up.

But, lest this be an endless moanfest, there are a lot of things I like about the game - though consistency of application is certainly not one of them.

• Like Like x 12
  36. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

All the above posts are valid but nothing beats the fact we have multiple installations of the same loco....ludicrous

• Like Like x 9
  37. Thelonius16

Thelonius16 Well-Known Member

I like passenger mode a lot.

But the recent releases of the Amfleet cars and M7A have the doors between cars set up incorrectly. What makes it really irritating is that the TSW1 Amfleet and the LIRR M7s both had them correct. So someone accidentally changed it and no one caught it and no one has fixed it.

Also, the game seems to have an issue with daylight savings time, because Boston is way too dark on winter mornings.

• Like Like x 3
  38. tallboy7648

Well alot of players especially console players would want a working save function. Considering that there is a save function in the game that doesn't work is unacceptable and needs to be sorted once and for all.

• Like Like x 2
  39. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

Is there a way to skip the introduction where they tell us to look up, down, etc.? Every time I buy a new route, I must go through that.

• Like Like x 6
  40. redrev1917

Oooo I'd forgotten about you that once loaded you can escape out of it and back to the main menu but yeah would be really good if we could just scrape that. For me the first time you load the game it should put you on one of the core routes and then never be forced to sit through another intro again.

• Like Like x 7
  41. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Another niggle as opposed to major fault. When you start a run or scenario in an area with manual points, please can the author set these correctly for the first move. Better still we should have a virtual shunter to set the route to where we want to go.

• Like Like x 6
  42. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

Unless you're working a lot at your place and not have the attention span to simulate another job after your shift. That's the case for me. But I still like trains, and train games, and the whole simulation aspect, but it just doesn't get me to play 2 hours of american freight without being able to save, in a game where most bugfix workarounds are "Restart and try again".

• Like Like x 3
  43. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

My biggest annoyances are as follows with some as mentioned previously:

- Proper night lighting. By far the thing which frustrates me the most as I always make the weather full cloud/foggy to make it look more dark at night. On this subject, the stars are way too bright and make it look like day time.
    - Rain noise. The ridiculous noise from rain while driving is unbearable.
    - AI trains that don't switch headlights off or put tail lights on at the end of a service.
    - With the major exception of London Commuter, a lot of timetables on other routes feel repetitive and which could at least be made interesting with a more dynamic timetable such as delays etc.
    - Lack of station staff. There's passengers, that's great, but where's the station staff such as dispatchers or customer service? Would make it more immersive.
    - Lack of consistency with scenario planner paths. Some routes, like GWE have Paddington and Reading with most platforms available to use, but the likes of ECW after all these years still has many things missing; for instance, no Platform 5 at Lewes, plus here too its Platform's 1 and 2 are only usable to Newhaven Aggregates - additionally, Brighton and Eastbourne missing platforms to use.
    - Lack of consistency with timetable mode/updates. Again, it's been years and there are still NO London-Eastbourne services on ECW - a core feature of the route - despite multiple updates, all while these services exist to drive on London Commuter!!
    - Empty sidings. I admit, newer routes seem to be rectifying this, but would still like to see more.
    - Missing stop markers on London Commuter. Driving without the HUD is difficult at times as some stations are either missing some stop markers - 8-car stop ones especially - or some have none at all. One word, frustrating.

• Like Like x 3
  44. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Glad I'm not the only one who cares about this. I've been banging my lonely drum about this ever since TSW launched. Thing is they've shown occasionally that they can do a good job with these, just occasionally, mind. SEHS Medway is, if I recall correctly, one isolated example.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  45. Asyedan

Asyedan Member

I would like an option for free mode to be actually free mode. You set your own rules. No signal restrictions, no forced service when you pick a train. You can mess around as much as you want. Only 2 rules: dont go off the map and dont crash/derail your train, because i think causing a train wreck in the middle of East Croydon would massively screw up the AI services to the point the route would be unplayable until you restart the map.

Idk, sometimes i only want to have fun in the game. Let me do just that.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  46. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Night lightings and for some trains poor high beams. Evident on HRR

• Like Like x 1
  47. The_Drunken_Engineer

Wow, just like that I now believe a save function is a meaningless distraction in every game and should be disabled. Because you learned to live with it. Hey, you can also learn to live without showering, I suppose.

• Like Like x 3
  48. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

What I meant was that I think it's highly unlikely that DTG fixes the save game function within 5 years, considering it has been broken in Train Simulator for over a decade.

I agree that offering a save game feature that doesn't work is ridiculous, but until DTG actually fixed it, there's nothing else we can do.

• Like Like x 1
  49. The_Drunken_Engineer

Sorry, bud, the reason I was a bit sharp is because I enjoy this game. Alot of hard work and detail has gone into it. But if we give them a pass on important things like being able to save, which to me, is more important than alot of passengers or ai traffic etc, then why would they ever make the effort to fix it? Yet having said that, I don't blame you for giving up after so many years :) I, however, don't like putting over an hour into it and having the game shutdown over a bug. I don't even mind the odd bug but just let us save so it's not a total exercise in frustration. But, again, I just had all my progress on a few trains on TVL get wiped so what's the difference...

• Like Like x 4
  50. Franck69

Franck69 Member

Lack of proof of skill in conduct.
    I would like to see how my conduct affects passenger happiness and that there is an end result. As far as I know, now the final score is given only by the punctuality of arrival and the correct stop at the platform. But if I get to 100 km / h and I make a sharp braking (which in reality, very rarely happens) and with a bit of luck I stop exactly where the train has to stop, I get the same if I go at an adequate speed.
    Then if there is one thing that bothers me a lot, it is that bar at the top, very invasive, where the next stop is indicated.
    I wish I could drive without any hud, but then I wouldn't know when to close the doors to be able to leave. I find it depressing.
    In this regard he could delegate the closing of the doors to a hypothetical train leader. (as happens in reality) the driver unlocks the doors, but to close them he must wait for a specific signal on the desk.
    I stop, there would be many other things that could be implemented and / or improved, but I don't want my post to become kilometer longer than the current TWS2 routes.

• Like Like x 9