Changing The Driver's View In Ts2018

Discussion in 'Creation Centre' started by RickOsh, Aug 28, 2018.

1. RickOsh

RickOsh New Member

I have been trying for a couple of years and finally the other day I located a YouTube video by Peter Greensmith at

I thought I might put it in a readable form with some examples. This modification affects the view from the driver's seat only in every engine of your livery.

In the Steam program right-click on Train Simulator then select Properties which is at the very bottom of the drop-down list. Be careful not to select Uninstall located directly above it.

Go to SET LAUNCH OPTIONS and select. In the command line box type

-SetFOV=85 and click OK.

You can set the number lower or higher according to your preference. The lower number brings the view closer. My preference is -SetFOV=81 as can be seen in the samples attached.

Class 37/4 at default POV
    Class 37-4 at default POV.jpg

Class 37/4 at POV of 85
    Class 37-4 at POV of 85.jpg

Class 37/4 at POV of 81
    Class 37-4 at POV of 81.jpg

GE ES44AC Forward View at POV of 81
    GE ES44AC Forward View at POV of 81.jpg

GE ES44AC Controls View at POV of 81
    GE ES44AC Controls View at POV of 81.jpg

I hope this presentation is not too late and it helps someone.

2. RickOsh

RickOsh New Member

Mia Culpa. I should have titled the images as FOV (Field of View). I was thinking of Point of View when I titled them.

3. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

This method didn't work for a while and PTGRail posted an update which worked through the desktop shortcut. I see no reason why, using that method, you can't have several shortcuts with different FOV settings to suit whichever locomotive you intend to drive.

This came up here a few weeks ago BTW. I'd add the link to the thread but it's past bedtime- won't be hard to find.

4. RickOsh

RickOsh New Member

I tried that in Windows 7 and got this response.
    TS 2016  Updated FOV Tutorial.jpg

5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

put the -SetFOV outside of the speechmarks in the target line

6. RickOsh

RickOsh New Member

Dummy me. I always thought the speechmarks had to encapsulate the whole line. Thanks a whole lot ARuscoe.

7. harry.ellis2

harry.ellis2 New Member

I've tried both the steam portal way AND the direct shortcut way. Double checked that I have done it correctly but it still gives me the default FOV! The game is pretty much unplayable without a decent FOV. As a consequence, haven't even touched the game in over a year.

Any thoughts, guys? Bear in mind that I have tried both ways and made sure I was doing it right!

8. TrainSim-Daniel

TrainSim-Daniel Active Member

A FOV selection option was added into the game as part of the TS2020 update so please try using this instead.

You can find a list of the changes and new options introduced with TS2020 on the page linked below:
    https://dovetailgames.kayako.com/News/NewsItem/View/168/train-simulator2020update19th-september2019