Simfest Sale March 28th-april 4th

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by BlaringHorn, Mar 28, 2022.

1. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Not sure if that’s really broken or working as intended. AFB is not usually used for freight trains in real life after all.

2. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

Well if I set it to 100 km/h I expect it to hold 100 km/h. It should be able to account for gradients and weight. This is a long standing bug with all trains, both passenger and freight.

3. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Well that depends on if the real life system can account for high gradients and heavy trains. If the real life AFB system cant handle it then I expect the in-game AFB not to be able to handle it either.
    Now myself like I'm guessing 90-95% of players have zero direct experience of AFB so need to rely on that small percentage of players who do.

So who here drives German freight trains to advise please?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
  4. fabristunt

Well, it can't even reach the set speed on plain level ground, so it's definitely bugged. Designing such a system and not accounting for weight/gradients is pretty much a stupid move. I know nothing about coding, but I'd expect the afb to throttle back when reaching the target speed, not 10 km/h earlier. Still, this also happens on the other german locos, it was kinda fixed for MSB with an update.

5. redrev1917

I have no issue with AFB on the flat holding speed with the throttle/force selector set right for the majority of services tbh. I'm mean the 143 is a great example with a short consist it regularly goes to fast if the force selector is set to high at low speeds and conversely set it to low a heavy service will see the speed sit a few kmph below the setting.

As I said I don't know enough about the real system to know if it's working correctly in-game. But by the same token I'm not in a position to cry bug over it either.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
  6. fabristunt

I'm not talking about the 143, that is a particular case. I am talking about the 146, and the various 185s. Even with the throttle all the way up, it throttles back too soon, not reaching the target speed. I have to set it 10-15 km/h higher to achieve the original target speed.

7. LWDAdnane

LWDAdnane Well-Known Member

Slightly off topic, but how does one get AFB to work on DCZ? I messed around with the lever a little on the 185, but didn't notice any difference in train behaviour, hud, etc.

8. redrev1917

Did you turn it on (cntrl R) I'm currently running AFB on a 185 on this route as I type this so I can verify it does work

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

While stopped:
    1. Throttle at off (not min)
    2. AFB main switch to on (left-hand side under the desk or [CTRL]+[R])
    3. Set AFB lever to desired speed
    4. Release brakes (AFB will keep pressure in the loco cylinders until throttle is applied) and apply throttle
    While moving:
    1. Throttle to off
    2. AFB lever to max (140 in the 185, 160 for the 146)
    3. Turn on AFB main switch
    4. Reduce AFB lever to track speed
    5. Apply throttle

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. LWDAdnane

LWDAdnane Well-Known Member

Thank you both. I've always just used R & F without holding CTRL, so will give that a go. However I think my main issue was not doing it while having the throttle on 'off' if I recall correctly. If it's working for you both then there's no reason for why it shouldn't work for me once I apply the correct technique. Thank you both.

• Like Like x 1
  11. fabristunt

One more thing with Chemnitz: it rains under the roof of Dresden station. I expect this dumb things from OMSI, not from the "ultimate train simulator"...

12. minka#2840

minka#2840 Member

Found the Sale offer really quite appealing.
    -Upgraded to TSW2 (German Edition) which came with a free Ruhr Sieg Nord on top for 18NZD(11EUR)
    -Tharandter Rampe for another 18NZD(11EUR) - My favourite so far!
    BR101 for 7NZD(4,50EUR)

That's possibly a couple hundred hours of joy for the the equivalet of 3,6 local pints. Absolutely no reason to complain about!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 3