Spirit Of Steam Release Speculation

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by jamesthepershing, Nov 21, 2021.

?
  1. Xmas 2021

18 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. Summer 200 (like rush hour)

122 vote(s)
    72.6%
  3. Other: please say below in the comments what you think

28 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I would envisage as this is something their CEO is personally passionate about I am led to believe that if they LOVE (this word that love replaces is another name for a male chicken (shortened version:D)) it up heads will not be attached in such a fulfilled manner as they are now. If this is the case then it is a shame that the CEO doesn't tell the bean counters to lay off a little more and allow them a slightly longer, yet finite, commercially viable dev time per route.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

It is a passion project for the CEO as well so likely they want it perfect and are willing to take a cash flow hit to invest more resources in making it. It is going to create a gap though and they need to be creative with other things to fill it else as seen here people are going to lose interest. Let's plays, community challenges, these sort of things.

Edit, great minds :)

3. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

In the same manner they spent what 2+ years on Sand Patch and a similar time on GWE, because these where the first impressions of TSW for many just like how SoS will be a first impression not just of steam in TSW but of TSW itself. If they get this wrong there's a whole section of potential new long term customers lost forever. That's why I believe time constraints are a little more relaxed with this then say Riesa Dresden.
    What I can't fathom out or believe is that SoS is going to be the next DTG produced DLC and it's not going to be released until mid summer. That's a long time of reduced revenue and sales for a company which business model relies on releasing a steady stream of DLC

• Like Like x 2
  4. chieflongshin

Cue up £8.99 service pack coming out of nowhere again

• Like Like x 2
  5. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I bet all the recent sales help evening this out, as it must be quite a good income to get increased sales from all of these many-year-old DLCs. They might also have a few more ideas for small projects, like New Journeys was.

6. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

Actually Matt said in the stream the locos and cara weren't working 100% yet. They can get it moving but not up to a good speed yet as they keep finding leaks in the steam pipes and valves.

So they are close to getting all the tech for the locos done but not quite there.

And as Matt said we are in the last 20% but that 20% is the time consuming part and can take 80% of the time it takea a route to finish.

I also remember him saying in the January apology stream that they were 6 months behind with steam. So that would put it to Jun the earliest as my guess.

I still think this route is going to be more expensive than the standard route, I could see it being an extra £10 easily. And it wouldn't surprise me to see them start charging more for routes after this as well.

Perhaps £34.99 for SOS and then drop down to £29.99 for routes there on out. Why else are they not giving us any other releases until SOS asides from Horseshoe Curve unless they want to raise prices after. And to charge more, perhaps rightly so for SOS then drop it down not quite to the original route price would be such an EA move.

7. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

For British fans like myself who have no interest in Steam, the roadmap is looking extremely dire for the foreseeable future, as well as TSW as a whole.

If nothing new releases between now and SOS, then I think it’ll be a few months before I start playing TSW again. The current offerings just don’t interest me. Not to mention the Electrostar frenzy we have. There’s a distinct lack of variety I find, as it’s pretty much either BR Blue/Classic or Electrostar.

• Like Like x 7
  8. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I do think that there is a target, but that target may prove to be a moving one.

9. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I already find myself starting up the game only to turn it off as I can't be bothered to drive anything. I'm 50/50 in regards to picking up SOS or not. DTG needs to have some sort of ace up their sleeve in regards to British non-Steam fans.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Honestly the reason they're being given more time is probably because they can't really make too many cuts to it as is. Crewe - Liverpool is on the short end anyways, and you can't really cut either of the engines or any stock we currently have. As much as I'd like for the increased amount of time to be a change in DTG internally I think the time increase is just that they can't release the route in its current state, simple as that. Keep in mind, DTG have mentioned they've delaying routes and locos before, so it's not like they never do it, it's just they never mention the release date until the date's set in stone.

11. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

It is interesting that the lack of new content seems to make people not want to play all the content they already own. Why is this? I get it if you are waiting for fixes, but people are saying the lack of future content is putting them off. Have you played everything already? I am not sure why people are obsessed with "beating the game" these days rather than enjoying the act of playing it. Reminds me of GT7 furore, oh no you have to actually do races to get credits to buy cars. Yes? Don't you enjoy doing races and getting better at driving. Has everyone mastered all the routes and safety systems?

I loaded into BML last night and it was quite enjoyable just riding around Clapham Junction and watching all the traffic. There seems little point in just having a collection of items and then not using them, its not like you can even display the boxes on a shelf or see the items without playing the game.

• Like Like x 7
  12. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I’m not sure why you are assuming “more time” or “delayed.” There has never been a hint that I am aware of as to any release schedule for SoS, nor whether or not that schedule has been changed. As far as we can tell from here, everything is proceeding as planned.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

End of year stream: "We have a UK route coming out before Harlem that's not on the roadmap"
    Following roadmap: "It's now coming out after Harlem"
    I believe it was later confirmed to be Liverpool - Crewe, or at least "the steam route".

Looking at the screenshots and videos they've released, I struggle to see how they could possibly finish it before Harlem (unless Harlem was brought forward).

• Like Like x 2
  14. Cash

Cash Well-Known Member

This is exactly how I feel, yes.

• Like Like x 3
  15. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Some of it gets old quite quickly, the German back and forth identikit routes for one. American freight can't really compare to Run 8 (other than the graphics). Modern UK routes are an Electrostar fest (largely) and once you've seen one southern third rail route through a narrow window, you've seen them all. The two classic UK diesel routes are good as is Legends on GWE, but really too short and in need of an injection of DLC, more loco and DMU types.

I've been spending more time recently in TS simply due to the variety, though the last couple of evenings have picked up TSW2 again.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Because as Clumsy Pacer noted DTG at some point made mention of a unannounced UK route releasing before Harlem. I don't remember when or where exactly, but Pacer's mention of the end of year stream sounds about right, Also another minor example would be that there were monthly steam blogs planned at one point for SoS, but they didn't end up doing that in part because of slower than expected progress if I remember correctly.

Beyond that it's rare for software development to not experience some sort of delay, frankly it's kind of the norm. Honestly I would think it's far sillier to assume DTG are meeting all their internal targets than to assume that they've had none.

• Like Like x 1
  17. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Agree, although I have a huge interest in steam (early stuff) but haven't really the desire to drive one. I would much rather a class 117 or a class 121 in BR. Blue or earlier diesel stuff. Still can't believe there isn't a Deltic.

I stopped playing a few months ago but am eager to get stuck in but DTG seem to insist on delaying the Preserved updates, GWE in particular for me so I insist on not playing and keeping my money.

• Like Like x 3
  18. OldVern

I think we are all hoping because of the Director level interest in Scouse Steam (and why do I keep getting the Liver Birds theme playing in my head every time I post that?!), it will be a cut above the usual rushed, buggy and not really quite there normal releases.

And I agree 100% about the Deltic, at the least could layer in on NTP and it's also criminal we haven't had a 56 yet, either.

• Like Like x 4
  19. dhekelian

LOL. I think DTG are missing out on funds as the UK had some iconic diesels but DTG just ignore them. If only a third party could fill the void, I bet there would be a lot happier UK fans at least. And the same could be done for US and German etc.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Aldarion

Aldarion Member

Let them take those leaks from steam pipes and valves onto the carriage's windows ;)

That is my current state-of-mind, also, though particularly with NTP...

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  21. alexjjones6024

alexjjones6024 Well-Known Member

That is literally the worst thing I have heard from you. We all have our passion and then there is you, the person who has absolutely no compassion for other areas of this game who look forward to Steam. Guess what... It's not all about you, we all want to see variety but this will certainly set a bar when it comes to options regarding DLC/Loco variety
    Says the one with an Electrostar photo, when you can choose from at least 3 different routes on TSW2 with a 375/377. Get over yourself man, they are so boring! Move to another thread if you ain't happy. (Suggestion thread perhaps)

• Like Like x 7
  22. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Where did he say it's all about him? He was literally stating his opinion.

Here's mine..

The current offerings don't interest me either, I went into the in-game store yesterday to see if anything took my fancy and I backed out after a few minutes. No route I own interests me right now, and DLC routes which I don't own don't interest me. Currently the roadmap is bleak, but that may change in the April roadmap, we'll see..

Until something which I'm interested in comes along then I'll not touch TSW very much at all. No-one is saying "it's all about me, I want every route I like to be made". All we're saying is, currently there's nothing which excites us.

• Like Like x 1
  23. OldVern

As I said in another thread, TS and Run 8 now hold more interest. Even Spirit Of Steam is losing its appeal, running as it will be on the same flawed platform with long term issues ignored by DTG. Maybe if the route choice had been a bit more inspirational… but unless the initial reviews are favourable, I can see it being an item for the Xmas sale, not a Day 1 purchase.
    Assuming the Jub and 8F go on sale at Easter, I can add those to TS for less than what Scouse Steam will likely sell for and have a huge choice of routes to thrash them on.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  24. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I agree, it won't be a day 1 buy for me. I'll most definitely buy it when it's on sale.

• Like Like x 1
  25. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

My interest in TSW has also waned recently but I'm sure it will return (I've actually been playing the excellent hmmsim metro - what a promising train sim that is!).
    What would be nice is some randomisation to keep the interest up, such as slightly delayed services in the timetable etc - so each run has the potential to be slightly different each time you run it. Diesel railcar sim simulates this, as does Zusi. I'm sure Matt said the team are looking into this aspect though - hopefully something will come of it.
    That or Multiplayer!

• Like Like x 1
  26. Cash

Cash Well-Known Member

I was stating my opinion? I don't think there's anything wrong with stating that there's nothing interesting for me in TSW2 at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  27. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

It appears that having an opinion is wrong in some peoples eyes.

• Like Like x 1
  28. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Wow this escalated quickly, someone pass the popcorn please

Steam isn't my area of passion either neither is Horseshoe curve so I guess there's nothing on the roadmap for me either (although Ill still pick them both up in the quality is high). There's been plenty which have floated my boat in recent months so I'm not complaining but yeah I'd like to see something on the roadmap which will excite me as well.

• Like Like x 1
  29. londonmidland

alexjjones6024 There really wasn't any need for that tone used in your message. I was simply expressing an opinion. If you cannot accept that, then I suggest trying to refrain from commenting.

• Like Like x 2
  30. chieflongshin

Just poking my head round the door again to see if Sam or Nat have spotted the handgrenade someone slung into this thread....

31. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Someone just accidentally swallowed a Carolina Reaper.:D
    Otherwise a perfectly civil and interesting thread. Carry on folks.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  32. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

F_FSC.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  33. meridian#2659

F_Britannia.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  34. londonmidland

35. meridian#2659

About the pics, just had to do something on 1st april ;).

This thread was the right place, since i think there is a lot going on behind the scene about the entire steam thing. Matt mentioned the research itself took around 1 year to get this accurate.

So there is nothing on the roadmap and my guess is, dtg has big plans to make a lot out of the route, with loco dlcs for example.

I think they just wait for the announcement until we have at least a release date for the sos core route.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  36. jamesthepershing

jamesthepershing Active Member

meridian#2659 What are the pics from though?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
  37. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

The real problem with releases like SoS and Luzern is the lack of variety in rolling stock.
    SoS has two large locos, but where are the shunters, station pilots, etc.?
    It's as if half the railway activity is ignored or painted out.

The last shunting horse locally was retired 1957...

• Like Like x 2
  38. OldVern

So they can sell us a Jinty and/or 4MT tank loco as a £13.99 DLC, then a LMS or BR suburban coach set for £6.99.

39. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

Probably a combination of things. I'm sure DTG want to take that extra bit of care to make SoS memorable for its quality rather than its faults plus DTG may also be reacting to the criticism it's received over poor initial quality on several DLCs over the last year or so.

Edit: Sorry all - hadn't realised there was another page when I wrote this.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  40. meridian#2659

Its from 3dhorse, a giant library of everything made into a 3d model. Not just trains, you can even find a hotdog.

41. dhekelian

I just can't get excited over this SOS perhaps once all the pres. route updates have dropped but even then I'm struggling.

42. alexjjones6024

alexjjones6024 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the photos were based on April fools? Lol

43. OldVern

TBH without the core updates in particular the saved game, I am rapidly losing interest, period. An attempt at the "Last Resort" Journey scenario on TVL failed this evening on a resume, with a queue of Class 101's all stood at red signals between Middlesbrough and Thornaby blocking my progress. If they can't get this fixed for Spirit of Steam, really what's the point. Crewe to Liverpool in 1958 likely to have far more complex signalling than TVL, to trip up the save.

• Like Like x 2
  44. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why you keep using the save feature when you know full well it doesn't work. Is it just to moan about it on here? Cos that's what it looks like.

• Like Like x 5
  45. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

Currently, we are on the worst drought of no UK route being announced since TSW (notice the lack of 2) released. Besides BML for Rush Hour (even then that was nearly a year ago) and WCL (a rivet route), we have not had a DTG UK loco or route added to the Roadmap since, *cough cough* Cathcart was around the end of 2020/beginning of 2021. Thats over a year. At this rate it is seeming that if we are not careful, Liverpool-Crewe will be the next route. Bearing in mind the fact that if I remember correctly and no one on this forum is deluded, DTG said in the end of year stream that a UK route would be released before Harlem. Barring Liverpool - Crewe, which was never going to be released before harlem, we have not even seen an Announcement for a UK route other than Liverpool - Crewe. It is criminal the routes we have gotten. Personally, I would rather see Longer Routes that stretch 80-100 Miles rather than waiting a 1.5+ Years for a 32 Mile Route. I would take the East Coast Main Line over SEHS, which we waited months for and at release people said 'its incomplete' or 'its buggy'. What else could dovetail make in the 1.5+ Years spirit of steam is taking. Probably at least 1 very long (80-100 mile) UK Route. Dovetail almost never make suggestions a reality. Brighton main line was the first heavily requested route in ages that Dovetail went ahead and made. Meanwhile, we have heavily requested routes like other London Underground Lines, West Coastway, West Coast Main Line, East Coast Main Line, More parts of GWE, Great Eastern Main Line, London Overground, and any scottish route that is not Cathcart. And that is just a few. We found out that Spirit of Steam was in Development in January 2021 (bearing in mind that it was almost certainly worked on before that) and we only have just recently found out the 32 Mile Route we are getting. While Crewe is a Historic Railway Town or City, many routes would have been better, like ECML, WCML (other than crewe), etc would have been better.

• Like Like x 2
  46. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

breaking-news(1).png

• Like Like x 12
  47. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

Again and again, complaints about "No UK Routes", hey mate at least your region/country is well represented in the games. Have you completed every single timetable service on every UK DLC?

• Like Like x 1
  48. chieflongshin

definitely not. Im a dlc spending free zone at the moment as I never seem to get more than 20runs done on a line before I fall away from it

• Like Like x 1
  49. OldVern

The save feature is there and should work. In fact it does work on some routes but the outcome is random. Some scenarios are too long to complete in a single setting or real life can interrupt.

Paid good money for this game and it is about time DTG got off their backsides and fixed it.

Edit: Made a bit less grouchy and personal, two wrongs a right do not make plus wife was nagging me as I was trying to post!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  50. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

There's no good reason not to address the save issues, it's a critical thing to not have working properly. The idea that "all the services are less than a hour means it's not a issue" is just a excuse. 45, hell, even 30 minutes without having the ability to save would be considered massive in any other game. Hell, I'm reminded of a sequence in the original Metroid Prime which is notorious for its lack of save points, and that section is only 15 minutes or so. And that in itself is massive compared to most games these days, which have autosave that works literally anytime anywhere, and the few that don't have manual save points which are extremely frequent.

• Like Like x 3