From The Unreal 5 Stream

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by MisterV, Apr 5, 2022.

1. MisterV

MisterV Member

They posted a list of developers currently working on unreal 5 games.

Ill just leave this here.

FPlzkUtUcAIihbV.jpg

• Like Like x 14
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  2. CrAzZyKiLLa

CrAzZyKiLLa Well-Known Member

The thing is are they confirmed making UE5 content? or just studios using unreal in general. Also could be other franchies such as fishing or there was a rumor of something new coming from the studio, possibly that. I dont suspect anything TSW related to involve UE5 for along long time yet.

3. maxthum

maxthum Active Member

Watching this stream, it was interesting that DTG was mentioned.

I'm curious if DTG stalling on the DLC could be a sign of preparation for TSW2 transition to Unreal 5 either in 2022 (wishful thinking) or 2023. Either way, kinda hope that DTG has a seamless transition if they do go ahead with the UE4 to UE5 transition.

• Like Like x 2
  4. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

We've got nothing in active development for UE5 but plenty of experimenting and getting up to speed is being done. Suffice to say we're signed up to making use of it in the future, but won't be releasing anything for quite a while.

• Like Like x 42
    • Helpful Helpful x 6
  5. MisterV

MisterV Member

On the stream it was framed as studios making UE5 games.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Could be for their fishing series, maybe?
    I don't play them, but seems like a genre where photorealism is the goal, also wouldn't have as many things to potentially break with an engine upgrade (compared to TSW).

• Like Like x 1
  7. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

They're using their future-vision to predict studios who will be making UE5 games. Eventually, that will be us.

• Like Like x 4
  8. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I suspect this means if tsw2 were to go to ue5, preserved collection routes will just have even worse issues again. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if that happened.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Even if DTG is not currently developing any UE5 projects beyond tech demos, I agree with the assertion that DTG's first UE5 project will probably be something smaller scale and lower profile than TSW. That could likely be their fishing series, it could be new IP, but I have a feeling DTG will want to have UE5 down well before touching their most valuable franchise, TSW.

Cheers

10. tallboy7648

I would guess their fishing game will probable be their first game that utilizes UE5.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

I don't understand why you'd assume they'd port UE4 routes over for free, way too many changes in engine for that to be possible I'd imagine. Frankly I'd expect UE5 to serve as a complete reset, similar to the jump between TS Classic & TSW.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

A UE5 Based TSW (whether that be TSW3, 4, 60) would be a complete reset. In this case, porting DLC would not be possible. Like Mich said, it would essentially be a brand new game with no DLC. Thats why I don't see UE5 happening, at least not yet. I can see Dovetail making a Seperate (3rd) Train Sim. I know its Ridiculus but it is the only way I can see them taking advantage of it without angering the Community. We pay good money for routes that 99% of the time are filled with bugs that 99% of the time don't get fixed (I believe Cathcart was the last route release that went well). A new engine would bring new problems.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Oystein

Oystein Well-Known Member

"Unreal Engine 5 (UE5) introduces a series of changes, upgrades, and new features to the systems that made up Unreal Engine 4 (UE4). Although there have been significant changes to the engine, the built-in conversion process handles most of the work involved in migration without requiring any user action."

But this doesn't mean it won't require any work to migrate to UE5. But it isn't a jump like from TS to TSW. Even UE5 have alot of new features, it doesn't mean DTG need to take advantage of them all. I also believe that DTG learned alot when they upgraded the engine the first time, and made changes so that migration in the future will be easier.

• Like Like x 1
  14. tallboy7648

I never said that it would be free if you actually read what I said. I said that if they were ported which was simply speculation, that there could be issues again. Where did I mention free in my post?

• Like Like x 1
  15. tallboy7648

I don't think a UE5 TSW2 is even necessary to be honest. A separate game would be understandable but I don't think players would want to pay for a slightly updated version of the same game again.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

The mention of it being free was because I had originally started writing the post with the thought that maybe porting it would be possible. But midway through writing I realized that porting the routes would almost certainly never happen. The old NEC: New York needs to be completely redone to return to TSW, and that's just after a minor engine upgrade. No chance in hell any UE4 route's gonna be practical to just port over, it would almost certainly make more sense to start completely from scratch.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

In terms of my speculation I see a few factors at play here.

1. They will only upgrade to UE5 once UE5 is well established and DTG have seen what other developers have done with it and how they have responded.

2. Even once the above has happened this of course relies on DTG's own learning process, they will need to take time to learn the platform before actually committing to it.

3. Upgrading to UE5 only makes sense in the event of TSW3

4. To make the most out of UE5 and TSW3 the older generation consoles will have to be dropped.

5. The old generation will only dropped when it make economic sense to do so. Effectively this means that the new generation consoles will have to make up a significant majority of the console userbase.

In short, I believe that an upgrade to UE5 will go hand in hand with TSW3 and that this make sense in the next few years at minimum UE5 is not yet established as the go to UE platform and the demand for new consoles still significantly outweighs the supply.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Yorkshirelad

Yorkshirelad Active Member

Isn't exactly new news, DTG were announced as a partner back last year when UE5 was in preview.

19. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

If meant for TSW 3 this means ALP-45DP DB BR408 and Class 195 rendered in UE5 Base routes. That means Raritan Valley Line Hollandstrecke Duisburg Utrecht and Calder Valley Line as base routes.

20. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

It means nothing. Stop trying to crystal-ball your wishes as actual DTG policy.

21. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Talk about adding 2+2 and getting 15,865,664,654

22. trainsimcz

trainsimcz Well-Known Member

UE 5 is based on UE 4.26, all stuff can be ported without any problems with all DLCs (sure it will require some work like other porting did). But yeah when they will release UE5 version i think it will be TSW 3 without old consoles support.

And with that "we are not working on new version with UE5 right now"... the same was before TSW 2 was released... I was talking about update from 4.16 to 4.23 and DTGs reply was we are not working on it... etc... Then i noticed that they released new fish game so i was saying that TSW 2 will come out... of course DTGs reply was again We are not working on TSW 2 and then 2 months later TSW 2 announced with UE 4.23 :D Of course Sam will not wrote here that they are working on TSW 3 as he cant spoil that without official announcements but they are working with UE5 for a year. So check their Fish Games and once they announce new fish game on UE5 then you can expect TSW 3 :D

• Like Like x 4
  23. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I'm sure we are still a very far distance away from dropping old gen. Just think about for how long Xbox 360/PS3 remained relevant after X1/PS4 was released, add a huge supply issue and I think Gen8 will remain for a while.

Although I can see why making a new game when they finally decide to drop old gen would make sense, this way TSW2 can remain accessible to everyone, even if it will be unsupported, like TSW2020 now, and I think that when/if TSW in UE5 releases it will be next-gen only is a good shout.

24. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Hasn't this been EA Sports entire business proposition since the 90s? :)

• Like Like x 5
  25. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Interesting question then. How do you make a game that has longevity, accessibility, allows people to amass huge amounts of content over many years, when there is a constant push to upgrade to a new version of the engine? Which might mean starting again, losing customers, releasing content that requires the upgrade even though it breaks old stuff? At what point would you say no thanks we'll stick with the current engine?

• Like Like x 1
  26. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The basic answer is that in most cases it's not necessary. There are very few types of game where people want constant additional content, constant upgrades to the engine and uprated and upgraded technical capacity whilst retaining every single bit of content and assets working

Most games have a lifecycle, and for the most part they're one hit wonders, so you get the main game, maybe an update to fix bugs and that's that.

With sims you tend to have add ons, but nowhere near the amount you have with TSC or TSW. I guess it's because there are so few train sim games out there and so much possible content with different railways set in different periods etc etc, and that's before you get into dispatch mode, guard mode, platform sweeper mode...

27. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

An you download this matrix demo on pc? I could only find a ps and Xbox link

28. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

It's an interesting question really. For me I think what makes me favour the idea is the current console situation. Since my PC went bang I have only been able to play the game on my Xbox One (bog standard which I've had pretty much since it first released) and even though I only have the base game I can tell it struggles compared to my PC, which was never that powerful anyway.

From what I've heard about the older consoles particularly since Rush Hour it seems to me that the older consoles really are being pushed to their limits and though yes, there are potential gains to be made in terms of memory usage but there's only so much you can do.

For me UE5 and TSW3 will offer a chance to make the most of the new generation of consoles and give an opportunity to push the game much further than is feasible now. All the improvements we'd love to see like fully dynamic weather, more AI passengers, animations, more detailed scenery, longer more complex routes with more layers, all take up more memory and that isn't a luxury the older generation consoles have.

It seems we are reaching a point where to advance TSW2 further it means the divide between the new generation consoles and the old will only become greater, we are already seeing extra layers becoming a privilege of PC and new generation console owners.

For me if TSW2 in effect becomes a game of two tiers, in effect two separate games, or in a worst case scenario, being forced to abandon add-on releases for older generation consoles then I don't see the point in limiting the game to the capability we have now.

Of course this is all hypothetical and speculative but it is my belief that DTG should strive to make the best and most advanced game they can, and that to stick with the current engine does not achieve that. More to the point, we are seeing a bit of growth in the Train Sim market and on console too, if DTG do not make use of the new technology then someone else may well do so and leave them behind.

It's an interesting thought experiment really, I'm sure I'll be proved wrong in one way or another in a few years time ;)

29. Yorkshirelad

Yorkshirelad Active Member

Yes, but you need to download UE5, the matrix demo project file is 86gb download, and its roughly 200+gb when its unpacked in engine, you also need a really beefy machine, with a RTX or RX6000 GPU

30. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Ask the Windows marketing team at Microsoft.

• Like Like x 1
  31. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I see the preserved routes getting ditched (upto a point but GWE will get axed for sure) and maybe some Rush Hour ones. DTG will have the perfect excuse to do so. All this won't happen untill the old Gen sales drop off a cliff and the next Gen sales pick up. I see PC sales getting a bit better but not much. Time will tell of course and at some point DTG will have to move UE5.

32. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I have the Matrix demo on PS5 and I can absolutely guarantee that when TSW moves to UE5 it will look exactly like that does (when you turn off the green Matrix filter). Anyway, nurse is coming now with my medication.

33. chieflongshin

Hi all. I'm being a luddite and I'm not sure what to click from here? Cant find this world tab? I am unreal engine unfriendly.

upload_2022-4-7_13-30-25.png

34. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

Press Ctrl+Space to bring up the content browser if you don't have that already (you can also dock it). Then navigate to one of the mentioned folders and double-click on the map file to open it.

If you don't see anything, go to the World Partition Editor (find it in the UI or bring it up from the Window tab at the top) and right-click cells to load them.

Before that, you might also want to turn down the engine scalability under settings in the top-right corner if your PC isn't up to spec.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  35. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

If/when we ever see TSW3 in UE5 then I'd want it started from scratch with no imports from TSW2 as it's just a complete mess.

Hopefully there will only be 'one' version of each loco too.

• Like Like x 3
  36. solicitr

That would seriously anger those with large collections of TSW2 DLC.

• Like Like x 4
  37. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

No reason why we still couldn't use TSW2. I think a fresh start is required moving onto TSW3 (or even rename it to something new), don't bring in a mess that exists to cause more problems and time to solve, time for a clean slate.

• Like Like x 2
  38. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

I think you can shuffle around and re-reference things if they are exact duplicates. Like make a new version of a loco in the core game that is just a duplicate of it's latest variant (with some ownership checks) and change all timetables to use it. Then discontinue the variants packed inside route DLCs.

Centralizing all the scenery packs to reduce file size might be even easier. It all needs clever automation.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
  39. chieflongshin

I910900 2080ti and 64gb. 25-30fps:D:D:D:D:D:D. Thank you for getting me running.

40. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Same argument could've been made for TS Classic, but the decision was made to not directly bring those routes and locos to the next gen platform regardless.

41. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

nec was not added to the game because the method at the time used to make it was experimental the route before that was gwe and look that's still present.

42. solicitr

But TSW was not made to replace TSC, but to complement it. TSC is still there, it hasn't vanished into "Nolongersupportedland" like TSW1/2020

43. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I can see your meaning and solicitr's, people will be miffed but at the same time there is a lot of bugs in TSW2 before we get started on the core update and Rush Hour. If it was possible for DTG to keep TSW2 running while at the same time develop a brand new Train Sim would it be popular?

I think it would be a gamble but I can certainly see PS5 and Xbox next generation users picking it up if the game is aimed at them + PC. It will happen at some point but not for while I think.

44. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

This video suggests a pretty positive outlook. No more baked lighting (tunnels?), dynamic LODs, photo realistic textures like movies but in real time and UE4 compatability. Some of these will definitely benefit TSW, question is how well it ports over.

• Like Like x 1
  45. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

If UE5 would allow TSW to get rid of all it's performance related shortcommings, like shorter routes, less details on the trackside, little to no rolling stock in yards, difference in timetable between different plattforms etc, then I'm very much looking forward to it some day. But so far, I think the game looks really good, and routes like the Rush Hour Routes and recently Köln-Aachen feel incredibly alive and look amazing. (With the help of one or two .ini tweaks) I don't see a reason for DTG to jump on it any time soon.

46. Aldarion

Aldarion Member

loved to see that meta-human feature of UE5. I can now ask DTG for a feature for TSW3, to make passengers look angry when I'm driving a delayed train, say, in excess of 10mn :D:cool:;)

Now for real,
    I can see two great reasons why DTG would like to jump on it: lumen and nanite, both saving a huge amount of time to develop meshes and textures. Meaning that to produce the same loco it would take considerable less time. With my meager experience at modeling content for train simulators. I'd say you could model two locos in the time of one... this might mean for us consumers, more DLC more frequently (and probably longer routes), and for DTG more revenue...
    Maybe they wont do it soon, but i believe it is worth considering in a short term.

• Like Like x 1
  47. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Possibly making locos a bit faster really doesn't seem to be worth cutting previous gen consoles. Not to mention you're risking a decrease of the current next gen and PC user base by making everyone rebuy it all over again, because some of those users aren't going to make the move over.

• Like Like x 1
  48. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

wait why would we have to rebuy stuff surely they can just carry on with how the preserved collection was or we just accept it will only be playable on a separate game though i guess that would mean leaving old dlc behind which would anger many i guess

49. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

My guess would be 2-5 years to see content from DTG using Unreal Engine 5.

50. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

Now is the time for them to look into developing the core components for TSW and transfering routes over into Unreal engine 5. Keeping the work being done for preserved routes relevant.