Peninsula Corridor Questions

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by pterocles#7018, Apr 6, 2022.

1. pterocles#7018

pterocles#7018 Active Member

Hi, long ago I got Peninsula Corridor for free, but didn't really pay attantion to it. Now I had a look and started to play with it, the F40 is fun to drive, but......
    - The acceleration is ....well....slow.... If I don't rev up the engine into red it takes ages to get to line speed. So the question is: what is the acceptable max rev during acceleration?
    - Braking: I like lap brakes, lot to practice but fun. But what is the difference between lap and hold position? How should I use it if I wanted to play realistically?
    - H.E.P .: What is this for/when to use/ how to use/ how to set up?

2. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

• Acceleration: yep, that's the fun of trying to use a glorified freight locomotive for commuter service. IRL it can be permitted for short times to redline the engine, but only within an allowed time period which is cumulative between overhauls, and if exceeded then the engine has to go back to the shop. Therefore the mechanics give engineers dirty looks when they turn in a logbook with overspeeds in it. In other words, don't redline it.
    • Lap/hold: Hold is used if you are going to keep the same brake setting for a significant period, because it allows the system to recharge. On this route, mostly used when stopped at a station with a grade.
    • HEP: Head End Power: provides electricity to the cars for lights, A/C etc. There is a separate small diesel generator, which has to be running unless you want angry passengers. However, IIRC it's always already on, except in cold-start scenarios.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

The real Caltrain engineers depart in notch 8.

• Like Like x 2
  4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I made up a phrase specifically for the passenger locos in Peninsula Corridor.

“If you’re late, straight to eight.” In TSW there are no mechanics to hold you to account!

Under normal circumstances though, I set off in notch 5 and notch up as the revs drop into the green zone. If I am running late it’s notch 8 from the off while saying my phrase out loud.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Metra, which has many stations only 1 or 2 miles apart, rarely gets up to full speed unless running express in the rush hour. I'm only guessing, but it looks like they start in N4/5 from station stops. It's hard to tell with the HEP being so loud.
    The electric services accelerate much faster though.

6. redtrainz

redtrainz Active Member

Since the others have already answered your questions, I'm just going to recommend getting the Baby Bullet DLC. It's like a lumbering space shuttle.

• Like Like x 1
  7. pterocles#7018

Notch 8? Seriously? Ok, of course seriously but sounds so interesting, I never would have thought.
    (baby bullet bagged)

8. pterocles#7018

And what is this small silver stick like button/switch called bail switch? There is also a blanded brake reset button. What is that for?

upload_2022-4-11_0-1-45.png

9. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I think that will bail the loco brakes on the F40.