Horseshoe Curve - Definitive Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Apr 7, 2022.

1. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I really liked the look of it but I can't get by in my
    Mind it's reskinning two existing locos and plonking them somewhere else. I'm hoping SOS. Grabs me

2. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

For the GP38-2, i agreed that loco is straightforward reskin from the existing loco. But for ES44AC, well they use few similar looking parts from AC4400CW that makes it looks very similar with existing AC4400CW. But let's don't forget the cab is 100% different to the AC44 and ES44AC had larger radiator section.

• Like Like x 1
  3. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

The ES44AC cab alone is different enough alone for me to consider this a new train in the arsenal personally.

I drive 99% of the time from the cab position had it been an identikit of another loco I probably wouldnt have purchased pre release.

• Like Like x 1
  4. chessiet#4231

chessiet#4231 Active Member

I agree, the preview persuaded me to preorder; I’m really quite looking forward to driving the route!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Yeah it's just a fact there's not a whole lot of variety in US Freight locos these days. Can't really blame DTG for that. I tend to prefer DC traction, so I'd like to see a Dash 9 or ES44DC loco DLC at some point- the Dash 8 is still one of my TSW faves despite that awful horn lol.

Rolling stock variety is another matter- though HSC is helping in that regard.

I wish they'd do a freight car livery pack- especially boxcars and covered hoppers are all way too similar currently. Leasing companies, fallen flags etc.

Creators club helps but i'd gladly pay for additional official stock.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Suryaaji#2369

What makes you preferred DC Traction engines? Isn't it an AC Traction engines got more superior pulling capabilities compared to their DC counterparts?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Disintegration7

Just personal preference. The DC engines just "feel" more responsive to me in the game- I have no IRL experience.

8. Suryaaji#2369

It's kinda cool if we get another DC traction other than existing CSX Dash 8-40CW DLC. Dash 9-44CW and SD70M would be great, or perhaps ES44DC and SD70M-2.
    What possible route option where DC traction still the king on that line? BNSF route perhaps?

9. space_ace96

space_ace96 Active Member

I've only watched a bit of the stream so far, but I will answer number 5 and a bit of 6: They deliberately set the route in 2019 so they would not have to model PTC, so I assume only the alerter is included, which is a shame. I know Skyhook is still pretty new to TSW, but it's disappointing they didn't even attempt it. As for my impression, I haven't watched the whole stream yet, but I'm concerned purely due to the developer's poor knowledge of trains in general. When the viewers asked to hear track joint sounds, the developers didn't even know what that was and just assumed they meant switches. Does the UK not have track joints? Hopefully it turns out ok. I'm not a freight person so this would have to be really good for me to get it.

• Like Like x 2
  10. chieflongshin

I think personally for me, it looks like they've done a really good job of this abs I hold my hand up it looks very good so I feel like the first time in a while I have no real criticism other than locos but I appreciate these are popular US trains. This said I have a fair amount of oakville and Sherman left so im going to hold off until it's half price

11. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

One thing to bear in mind is that most modern railroads use CWR, which means that track joints only occur every few miles. The only sounds you normally hear are when going over switches at low speed. There is still flange squeal and the occasional rumble. And rolling stock might be noisy but you don't hear that in the cab.

12. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I can’t see the C44-9W being a serious candidate, since it would be effectively identical to the AC4400 except for very small physics difference

13. solicitr

I find it interesting that with the GEVOs GE abandoned its traditional control desk and adopted an EMD-style control stand layout, even the separate dynamic brake lever

14. Disintegration7

Yeah, BNSF runs a lot of ES44DC's.

I could see something like Bakersfield-Mojave (appx 70 mi, but mostly rural mountain/desert terrain) as a possible TSW2 route. You can have both BNSF (to Barstow off-map) and UP (to West Colton off-map) traffic. Would include the Tehachapi loop.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Suryaaji#2369

Yeah these 2 locos are extremely similar, perhaps the only exterior different is at electrical panel on the left side of the engine (right behind the conductor/secondman seat).

No, both EMD and GE equipped their late 80's up until early 2000 locomotives lineup with what called as "Desktop Control", as we've seen in TSW2 AC4400CW. All of wide-cab/North American cab engines such ae SD70M, SD70MAC, SD80MAC, SD90MAC, Dash 9 Wide-cab, AC4400CW and AC6000CW all are equipped with desktop style control quadrant.

Beginning to the Tier 2 Regulation introduction, all of a sudden GE and EMD switch back to AAR Control Stand like older engines, GE with their GEVOS lineup and EMD with their SD70ACe & SD70M-2. Up until this day i don't know what the exact reason of that switch back.

I live in Indonesia, our 2 newest mainline engines are build by both GE and EMD, GE CM20EMP and EMD GT38ACe. The CM20EMP equipped with Desktop Style Control like AC44CW, but in the other hand, the GT38ACe which build by EMD maintain traditional AAR Control Stand.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

I am not sure about the GEVO specifically but I think for a lot of locomotive types they were available with table top or control stand depending what the customer wants. One example that pops to mind is the EMD F40PH passenger locomotive. Via Rail in Canada ordered theirs with table top controls, but Amtrak and everybody else got control stands (like the Caltrain and MBTA versions in game). Here is a Via F40 cab which is quite different from what we have in game:

42EBC309-5F88-4696-B279-68CFD1C3C78F.jpeg

Most of the feedback I’ve ever read/heard from real life freight crews is they prefer control stands because they are easier to operate in reverse/long hood forward and you can “put your feet up”.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. chieflongshin

I do wish they could make use of these clip boards and maybe put some of the route or information from the “t” pop up window onto them. A dynamic clipboard, perhaps with page turn animation

• Like Like x 6
  18. sergio volodstok

sergio volodstok Active Member

Good to hear.

19. solicitr

IRL that clip is for train orders, in other words temporary changes to the published timetable. In the old days the timetable + train orders formed the conductor's authorization* for moving the train; today that has been almost entirely replaced by track warrants. Still, train orders remain in use, because in life few things ever go as planned.

*Note for overseas players: in US practice, the conductor is in charge of the train and the engineer (driver) reports to him; it is a more exalted position than "guard"

• Helpful Helpful x 4
  20. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

A small thing I've noticed is that there is no animation for the throttle lever on the GEVO. When you notch up or down it doesn't sweep to the next position it just appears in the new position without any animation.

Also it's nice to see a second new car (Gondola car) something I think has been missing from US routes for a long time. I've not noticed it appearing in any trains as yet though.

21. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

Those gons are used in the steel train which brings imported sheet from the docks to out near Pittsburg. Don't know if it is in the schedule or not.

22. redrev1917

Speed limit signs ar wrong, they show the last speed limit not the next one so going from 50 to 25 shows 50 and going from 25 to 35 shows 25!!

Atleast the first 2 do from leaving Altoona yard with service 55K

I really think more beta testing is required to pick up these little bugs which QA miss. How do you volunteer?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
  23. breblimator

breblimator Guest

GEVO sounds-mix is broken for me. Weird. The last stream was OK, I think.
    EDIT // restarting the game helps for me

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2022
  24. wxtr7

wxtr7 Well-Known Member

Had a quick go to test some of my thoughts I left in the one article thread. I tried to keep my expectations managed for this DLC but...

The sound set for the ES44 is truly awful. It doesn't sound like the source material was that great of a recording to start with, then the over-processing and mixing just ruined it entirely. I'll let horn enthusiasts talk about the horn, but its definitely a step back. Not that the AC4400 or SD70ACe had them, but there's also no traction motor sounds. Traction motors, particularly for GE AC locos is loud and incredibly noticeable. Without them, you might as well call it an ES40DC. I'm hoping one of the talented community modders will have a sound mod that improves this

The MFDs really need to get fixed to reflect the ES44 and not the AC4400.

Scenery definitely looks good though, and despite the sounds and MFD, the ES44 model itself looks really well done.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Are you completely sure those signs are supposed to be decreases? Often the first speed limit sign is supposed to a heads up about the next speed limit so you have time to slow down, with the speed limit only officially coming into effect at the next sign.

26. redrev1917

The HUD starts you at 50 going down to 25 but at the speed limit change there's a sign saying 50, same at the next speed change HUD says increase to 35 but sign says 25. Either the line speed (HUD) is wrong or the signs are.

It can't be showing the next limit as neither the 50 or 25 signs collate with the next future speed limit change

Try it yourself and you'll see what I mean

Since then on the trip they have matched however.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  27. redrev1917

Crossing gates approaching Cresson yard aren't working either.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  28. dr1980

dr1980 Member

I really appreciate how little time it took me to get the brakes released and the train moving compared to Sherman Hill.

29. Sharon E

Don't think any of them are at this point. Porta Rd. coming out of Altoona doesn't either and I have not looked at Carney's Crossing Rd yet. I had noticed what you mention about on speed boards and even saw a few that are blank. QA has done a bang up job here along with the cars on the wrong side of the road still.

• Like Like x 1
  30. kurtosizm

kurtosizm Well-Known Member

This thread actually saved me £24.99 again, cheers guys! :cool:

• Like Like x 6
  31. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

So, on the TSC Discord, I've seen the 89ft flats with both trash containers, and trailers.

The problem with the trailers though, they are of a European design......
    GG SHG......

32. Suryaaji#2369

Delayed for 2 months and still get few things wrong. Kinda dissapointed, not purchase it yet atm. Make me think twice really. Do they even test it before?

• Like Like x 1
  33. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Is it because the pipe is already charged or because the "realistic" braking system isnt implemented?

34. Sharon E

The one I have run had the rear brakes at a more realistic 78 lbs. Which is what it should be if the train had just come in from the east and stopped for a crew change. It does not take much time at all to get it back over 80 so you can start up the hill.

• Like Like x 2
  35. Suryaaji#2369

You guys who already purchase and play the route, any comments on performance? Does it run smoothly or behaving like early Sherman Hill?

36. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

**Update** Please be advised that the long train tutorial is the only place this extended brake situation occurs during gameplay.

Does this mean in the 24h timetable mode brakes release far more quickly?

37. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Yes

38. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

I'm very happy with the frame rates, but I've only played the training missions so far.

• Like Like x 1
  39. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

I bought this because apparently I am a idiot. :(

Edit: Its not that bad really. I do like the scenery. Having lived in the area and having visited the Horseshoe Curve, they have captured the general feel of the area really well. The loco setup in scenarios are sus as I had to manually switch off the control on trailing units a couple times, but other than that, IMO, its not a bad route. Although I have regrets buying it, mostly as a protest for a broken BR 187, but the route itself doesn't have glaring issues and you can drive the trains around.

• Like Like x 2
  40. redrev1917

I've only done one timetable service over the Curve and no issues with framerates although never had more than one of train in view at a time. Having 3 mega long trains in the same space will be the test on how well it runs. But so far so good.

There's lots of little niggles but I've not come across any major problems, but QA have either done a really bad job or the issues picked up by them haven't been addressed prior to release.

Still I'd rate the quality higher than some DTG and for Skyhooks 2nd attempt it's a good job and we've got definite improvement over Cane Creek.

Is it worth full price? For me probably yes, although the noise of the loco sounds might be a concern if you are familiar with the RL loco. I'm not but even I think they sound weird

• Like Like x 1
  41. Suryaaji#2369

Good thing is it still Tuesday, DTG & Skyhook have enough time throughout the week to hotfix it. Let's hope so.

42. kurtosizm

kurtosizm Well-Known Member

Don't hold your breath, it's Good Friday and Easter Monday here, would be surprised if we saw a patch coming next Thursday.

43. Crosstie

Why have a tutorial with real life features and then dumb down the scenarios and services?
    Oh, right, this is standard procedure for American freight.

44. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

I won't get it just yet - I still have to finish some other DLC's first before I have the time to tackle another route. But what I really like about this route is the amount of new rolling stock. I have no opinion about the locos - I don't know enough about the real ones. But the two new freight cars look great, and for someone like me who doesn't own Cane Creek, the new ones from that route are a nice addition too. I'm very much looking forward to driving this route later down the year, pulling something new!

45. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

It's not dumbed down.

46. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

I'm constantly having the feeling something is wrong with my train setup as so many other consists pass by me while crawling uphill

Back to school on how to set up multiple units for me

47. Crosstie

The list of major and minor errors is already too long for me to buy this route yet. I can wait for bug fixes and a sale down the road.
    Cars driving on the wrong side? Crossing gates not operational? Engine sounds all wrong? Borrowed MFD?

And the route was delayed in order to " get it right"?

My mind is boggled.

• Like Like x 2
  48. Crosstie

Matter of opinion.

49. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

Has anybody done the "Complication at Cresson" scenario yet? I am stuck waiting for a non existent train and signaller says I am off path

• Like Like x 3
  50. Jannerdunk

Jannerdunk Well-Known Member

Ive just had the same issue and created a thread in the technical section. I have run this scenario twice, with the same issue. There seems to be a train stuck at the eastern side of the map.