Cumberland Switchback Hump Help

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by driverwoods#1787, Apr 10, 2022.

1. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

I did Cumberland Switchback 3 months ago on January 7th 2022 with myself experimenting the Hump Hill on Sand Patch Grade with AC4400CW CSX Sand Patch Grade slow speed control and completed it with a bronze medal. My question is this does anyone know how to position the AC4400CW correctly when using the hump hill on Sand Patch Grade Cumberland Switchback scenario?
    Video Link is

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  2. apophis55

apophis55 Active Member

We can see your name above every post, no need to start every post like that...

3. driverwoods#1787

So you want me to edit that out

4. LeXXuz

LeXXuz Member

I still don't understand what you're getting at. You looking for a way to get more points in the Free Roam scenario for a gold medal or what exactly?

5. driverwoods#1787

Thank you for telling me about this.
    My point is this how do you exactly position the locomotive correctly so that you can send the boxcars over the Hump

6. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

You put the loco at the back of a long string of cars. In real life, as each car approaches the top of the hump, yard workers will uncouple it as it rolls by (a scary job!), and the dispatcher in the central tower will move the switches so each car rolls down the correct siding.

This is hard to replicate in TSW unless you are really fast both with the flying camera, an the 2D map/switch control. And it's possible that the cars' brakes will clamp down on uncoupling, which would make humping entirely impossible (IRL the cars' air reservoirs are emptied before the hump operation begins)

On a historical note: the switches at the real Cumberland yard are centrally controlled; DTG made them manual just so we could have fun. And the hump yard itself was removed some time in the last decade; it's not there any more.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 2