Ideal South East England Bundle

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by red1, Apr 10, 2022.

1. red1

red1 Member

It would enormously enhance ECW and SEHS. It would be based around Ashford International, putting exesting trains to good use, introducing the 171 with new stretch of route and completing the puzzle.

ECW - Being extended to Ashford, we would get the stretch of coastway and functional services down to ore. The 171s would do Ashford to Brighton/Eastbourne and would also fully complete the entire loco range for the east coastway and provide the nessecary services seen at Ashford. Basically a scenic ride along the completed coastway, into iconic Hastings, through Marshland and arrival into the business of Ashford Int.
    Already have a thread about this: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/ashford-to-brighton-marshlink-w-class-171.53377/

SEHS - Extended to Ashford within this bundle, it would put the class 375, 465 and 395 to good use, this in combination with the the 171 that also benefits ECW would make you see all nessecary trains at Ashford, apart from the eurostar.

It also opens up major opportunities for other routes in the future, since Hastings would be in the game as it's on the way to Ashford, at Hastings you can see -

Class 375 (Already in game) - This train could be seen doing AI services from Hastings to Charing x, diverting at West St Leonards, a ponential route opporunity in the future
    Class 377 (Already in game) - Fully complete ECW, you would see Eastbourne/Brighton services
    Class 387 (Already in game) - Seen filling in for Southern services
    Class 313 (Already in game) - Occasionaly seen at Hastings
    Class 66 (Already in game) - Self explanatory
    Class 171 (Not in game, however is one of the marketing points of this route to Ashford)

Ashford is also popular with train spotters and rail enthusiasts.

This is definitely a very clever and convenient package and would solve the question of route extensions being free or not, well you would have to buy this package.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

We really don't need more SE England routes with Electrostars at this point (IMHO). Maybe something vintage with Mk1 EMU's or somewhere we could run a Thumper, but it's time to give other areas/era of the UK a bit of love.

3. red1

red1 Member

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/ashford-to-brighton-marshlink-w-class-171.53377/

I suggested the same thing with iconic Hastings diesels here, either way we need routes to run these old trains on. Users can always use the scenario editor to add electrostars/older trains for their prefered year.

4. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

I agree with the other areas of the UK part of the comment as we seem to have no routes in East Anglia or the midlands which form a large part of the country and have some very interesting scenery.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

It would be opportunistic to add some Class 66 light engine moves to St Leonards depot for refuelling, or as driver route learning workings. There's the nuclear flask trains to and from Dungeness also (although these are normally worked by DRS locomotives).

• Like Like x 1
  6. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I thought one of the points of East Anglia was that it's basically flat drained marshland and fens, so virtually no scenery at all? I've driven through Norfolk and Suffolk a few times and must admit I didn't see much in the way of outstanding vistas or natural beauty on a wider scale.

With regards to the original Post, I don't think extending to Ashford is bringing much to the game. Very few trains per day run past Ore, the Ore trains would turn North not far along the line, the 171 is a recycled 170 and this could be much better used elsewhere in the country as a beginner and to be fair even a thumper wouldn't actually change the drive of what is a straight forward boring route that goes to nowhere important

7. isaac47593

isaac47593 Well-Known Member

Isn’t it time the north/midlands got some love? All the modern UK routes are based out of London, apart from Cathcart which pretty much entirely within Glasgow. We need some modern stuff from the midlands and the north before we get more 3rd rail commuter routes

8. red1

red1 Member

nowhere important? ashford international? london charing cross?
    also the eastbourne to ashford route is very scenic.
    stretch of coastway, iconic hastings, rye, old architecture, marshland, business of ashford to name a few.
    I don't know if you know Dad Rail (train drvier and tsw player), this is obviously his opinion but he said this was his favourite route to drive (eastbourne to ashford) for the reason of it being so scenic.

9. ARuscoe

Ashford International isn't an international station right now, and all the trains that go there are Electrostars, Javelins or 171s
    Charing Cross isn't in game, so from the suggested route you'd be going to Hastings

You mean green rolling hills. There's actually very little of interest between the two bar some coastline which isn't even that good (try closer to Dover)

I know of Dad Rail as in I've watched his vids. I've also worked around Sussex and Kent for years, live in Medway and have driven the A259 route many times, one of my favourite "throw it about a bit" routes between Hastings and New Romney. Still not "scenic" in the way the South Wales valleys, Yorkshire, Lake District, Scotland, Cumbria etc are
    Seen one green hill with sheep on seen em all

10. red1

red1 Member

I don't know why you feel the need to patronise, but ok - I was only suggesting. Respectfully, by rail there is more than green rolling hills with sheep and I'm sure you knew I meant by rail as in driving the train, not by road.

11. ARuscoe

The road runs straight through several towns and villages that the rail bypasses. The rolling hills and fields are the same whether you drive or travel by rail... In fact the road crosses the railway at several points including overbridges and a couple of (locally) well known level crossings on the single track section just west of Rye. It's scenic enough,m but as I said before, not as much as other places around the UK

And as I said before, the trains are not that special on this part of the railway and there are many many more places (even in Kent) that would be preferable

Think North Kent lines, Faversham to Dover via Broadstairs (inc Ramsgate depot), Ashford to Margate up the East Kent coast... All have much more possibility for service patterns. Unfortunately Kent is a barren wasteland when it comes to freight (apart from a couple of routes on the NKL, but they're minimal). Personally I would prefer something with a bit more scope for variety of service and more to do than "load passengers, drive, stop"

• Like Like x 1
  12. OldVern

I still maintain the Yorkshire coal field centred around Knottingley would provide an excellent basis for a classic UK late 80s or early 90s route with the opportunity to get a Class 56 and/or Class 60 in the game.

• Like Like x 2
  13. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

Yeah I have to agree that this would be a very interesting route and the scenery in that area is stunning and better than anything in the southeast.

14. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I mean it might be the most scenic part of the South East but there's far more stunning rail lines in the UK which I'd like to see first. DTG need to remember that the rest of the England outside the SE didn't stop running trains in 1995 or when ever WCL is set. Please give us a decent modernish route set somewhere other than London and the SE, pretty please.

• Like Like x 2
  15. red1

red1 Member

That would also be really nice, somewhere else in England set in modern times, similar to what they keep doing with germany.
    They could feature modern locos which could also complete the missing ones on already existing routes, such as 170, 455

16. ARuscoe

This is what I hoped they would do in the first place start with routes that would build up a core of assets and then go from there.
    Can't really go amiss with class 150/1, 150/2, 153 & 156, 158, 43, 66, 37, 170 and maybe a class 60.
    With those (reskinned where possible) you can create a core of regional services almost anywhere outside of London (and we've already got the Networker and Electrostar to cover those...) and then add in the more recent staples like the 70x, 80x etc (again, create the outline, reskin as required

DTG seem to have fallen into the trap of recreating every asset every time they create a route, hence multiple 377s and 66s. Really that's a waste of dev time...

• Like Like x 1
  17. OldVern

Bristol area @2010 would give superb scope for fairly modern stuff. A little network including Weston, Severn Beach, Bristol Parkway and maybe out as far as Bath Spa.

• Like Like x 2
  18. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea and if you are looking for a freight locomotive that runs on HS1 it's the Class 92 that is one British locomotive that can break the Monopoly of Class 66 on electrfied routes in the southeast. Even better sell SEHS ECW extended to Ashford International and BML as the southeastern United Kingdom Network bundle.
    If you want to make it International send it across the channel tunnel into Calais-Fréthun where CC92000 SNCF designation for Class 92 ends. You have BB36000 & SNCB NMBS HLE18 Siemens towards Antwerpen Kinkempois Liege Aachen Hbf. Towards Perpignan BB26000 BB26000 Germany via Metz Thionville BB37000 DB BR185.0 these are parked at Calais-Fréthun yard.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ARuscoe

The 92 does NOT run on HS1, it runs on the Kent Mainline to Ashford and then into the tunnel at Cheriton
    The other loco that would be seen a fair bit out of Tonbridge would be the Class 73 which is unusual as it has a shoe pickup for third rail operation and also a diesel engine

20. AirbourneAlex

I can assure you they do, using the section between Dollands Moor and Dagenham. I've seen them numerous times both on freight and light engine passing near Blue Bell Hill tunnel.

21. driverwoods#1787

Ok then and here's the oddity about Class 73 it's the MU system.
    Class 73/9 MU is capable of Class 66 due to the AAR system. Class 73 un rebuilt Electric Mode SR EMU System Class 33/1 Diesel Mode Blue Star MU TVL Classes 31 20 & 37/5 NTP Classes 40 & 45 WSR Class 33 Green CL 37/5.

22. driverwoods#1787

Spot on and SEHS extended to Ashford will now have Class 92 Driver Journey Mode. That means Class 395 Journey Class 375 Journey DLC Class 465/9 Metro-Cammell Journey and Class 92 driver.

• Like Like x 1
  23. ARuscoe

I've never seen one... must try harder, obviously

24. AirbourneAlex

I'll try and take a picture next time I see one. I think they may also use the link near Longfield to access the HS1 line.

25. ARuscoe

Fawkham Junction... From the CML to HS1. Never seen those rails used since the line to waterloo was stopped... Went through that junction this morning and thought the rails looked rusty