Why I Play Tsw

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by LIRRtrak, Apr 11, 2022.

1. LIRRtrak

LIRRtrak Member

So, this a thread I always wanted to make, but never got around to. Last Summer, I was looking up video games that featured Amtrak trains and TSW looked like the best option. I love riding trains and have fond memories of riding Amtrak back in 2018 and 2019 along the NEC, so when I saw NEC: New York in TSW 2020, I knew I had to play it. I enjoyed driving the Amtrak train, but also found just being a passenger in this game to be fun too. The scenery shown on the stretch from Newark to New York Penn is really accurate and gives a me a great feeling of nostalgia.

I checked out LIRR out of curiosity and despite initially playing this game for Amtrak, I found myself playing LIRR way more. I do have some experience with riding LIRR IRL including the Hempstead line from Penn Station, so I did feel some nostalgia here too. I love driving the M7 in this game. I feel like LIRR has more content than NEC: New York does, which is another reason why I like LIRR so much. My love of both LIRR and Amtrak sections of the game is why I chose the name of LIRRtrak.

At some point during the summer I found out about Rush Hour coming to TSW2 and knowing there would be more Amtrak content, I bought TSW2 in anticipation. I checked out the new version of LIRR for TSW2 and I absolutely loved the new camera. It felt so freeing to be able to just pan the camera around anywhere I like that I stopped playing the TSW 2020 version of LIRR and started playing the TSW 2 version exclusively.

Then Rush Hour and the infamous update happened. I foolishly downloaded that update in anticipation of Rush Hour and like many others lost access to my DLC for awhile. It was the Rush Hour/Update drama that pushed me to finally create an account instead of just lurking. By the time, the DLC issue was fixed and I could finally play Rush Hour my college classes had started up again and my free time had decreased. The drama had also dampened my excitement for Rush Hour. The combination of the two things meant that I didn't play much of Rush Hour and along with other things going on in my life, I stepped away from the game for awhile too.

I've been thinking about the game again though and I've been playing it again. I started playing NEC: New York and LIRR again, but also picking up Rush Hour again and getting further into it. For me, this game not only allows me to relive nostalgia, it also gives me a way to experience riding a train again. I haven't ridden a train since 2019 and I really miss doing that. The game also allows me to do things I would never do IRL like drive a train. I drive trains in the game more than I ride them because it is the more active part of the game, but I always switch to the external camera, so I can see the scenery as I drive the train. When I do use the internal camera while driving, I love zooming in towards the window in TSW 2 so I can get a better view. I notice in Rush Hour that when I do try to be a passenger, the timetable never shows up in the options menu, which leads to a lot of confusion.

I really want to buy the Harlem Line DLC, but after the Rush Hour fiasco and reports here I am admittedly hesitant. It's frustrating because Northeastern US Passenger rail is my jam and riding a Metro North train from/to Grand Central is one of my bucket list items, so this DLC is right up my alley.

So, that's my experience with the TSW games and why I like playing them.

• Like Like x 8
  2. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

Nice!

I have Harlem Line and while I’ve only done about 3 runs from one end to the other, I haven’t found any noticeable bugs yet. It seems pretty good. I did run right into the back of another train once but I now realize that was because I was running with safety systems turned off. This route seems to need them on to work realistically so that you can follow directed speeds and avoid that situation.

If you like LIRR you should definitely pick this one up. In some ways it’s very similar (same trains and city) but it takes advantage of a lot of the improvements since the early days and feels more “alive”.

• Like Like x 1
  3. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Harlem line is well worth it. Also it got updated yesterday.
    So hopefully it should run a fair bit better.

Here's what was updated on Harlem

Harlem Line
    • Updated instances where players experienced issues with red lights.
    • Fixed reported issues with service 363 while driving the M3a.
    • Updated the HUD to show the correct maximum permitted speed, the blue dot on the speedo should no longer disappear when neither ATC or ACSES systems are active.
    • Updated the gangway door on the M3a so that you can interact with it from inside and outside of the train.
    • Updated AI trains to correctly support station PIS displays and enabled display of final destination on internal PIS screens.
    • Updated the console buzzer so that it's now bound to the bell key
    • Updated the brake system on the M7a to cater for more combinations of orientation in a single train.
    • Removed reported instances of floating scenery.
    • Improved the scoring thresholds of the M3A training module.
    • Improved the bridge clearance on the CSX Oak Point Link track.
    • Updated Williams Bridge so that you can no longer see through the staircase on both sides.
    • Updated the scenery at Tuckahow so that the road is no longer floating.
    • Updated the NPC's spawning at the Botanical Gardens.
    • Updated the wooden platform by Yankees East Station which was missing textures.
    • Added various improvements to localisation.

4. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

There are still plenty of reports of snarled trains though due to them being off path and causing jams. I won’t be buying it until these issues are fixed.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

Why do I play TSW?

Because it combines two worlds in one! By name it is one sim and one world. Implementing this is a high standard and therefore a great challenge. I think that's too often underestimated. Especially the fact that it's the only title of its kind available on consoles.

TSW is still damn young and the structural issues are very annoying. But you also have to see and appreciate what has already been achieved. We as consumers, on the other end, always have good things to say and can only exert a certain influence through our wallets. And of course constructive criticism.

But ok, why am I playing TSW?
    Even as a little boy I was fascinated by model railways and also had three railways of my own. I still have material today. But it's an expensive hobby and takes up a lot of space. But a small train and a lot of imagination is enough for a little boy to travel around the world.

Eventually the MSTS came out and I was immediately hooked! A virtual model railway on the computer? How cool is that? I loved it and also bought some expansions with what little money I had.

Many years later I had long since switched to Linux and bought a PS4 on a whim. Then Covid came and I wanted something to gamble with. That's how I discovered TSW. Again I was totally fascinated! For me it was a savior through the pandemic. So much alone time...

And yes, as a sim fan I value realism as well as the world I'm in. But I also think that you shouldn't overestimate both, because when two worlds are united, compromises are not always possible. And I can already see that this concept works in principle.

When I drive a train, I naturally want it to be as realistic as possible, with all the trimmings. Then am a grown man doing his job. But it's also a game and the little boy in me who always rides along wants to be able to immerse himself in his world. So far I think this balancing act has been very successful. And that's what TSW is all about for me - this balance. It doesn't have to be a high-end simulation or a virtual model railway. Being both is certainly anything but easy. But obviously the concept works for the most part. And I think it's remarkable what has already been achieved here and that should be appreciated!

I understand everyone who gets extremely upset about these structural and therefore unnecessary mistakes and tends to boycott or advises them. But I also see the great potential that TSW has and also the efforts of every developer to continue to make TSW possible for us players.

Maybe I can overlook many such errors (until an update or fix?) because there is enough DLC on the other side that works largely error-free and lets me be a little boy again. This world doesn't have to be perfect, the world isn't perfect.

Maybe I'd be more upset with TSW if I only had a handful of DLC, bugs, and refrain from further purchases. But I have almost all the DLC and overall it's a positive experience for me.

And so I discover more and more the world possibilities that TSW offers. Study timetables, ride the entire route as a passenger, get off, look around, collect collectibles, get on the next train and travel on. Instead of getting worked up about a horn sounding bad or a warning light not working properly, I just enjoy this virtual world. Even if it isn't always perfect.

There is much to complain about in TSW but just as much to appreciate. This balance needs improvement. But I think it's worth going along this path if we all want to see and have a lot from TSW in the future. Because the potential is great!

That's why I play TSW.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

Very well said, and is exactly how I feel. Yes it could be better, but it could be worse, no TSW at all.

I always think of it as a giant train set that doesn't take up loads of room or rooms. And is not something that I have to keep putting together to use it, and taking apart again when I have finished.

• Like Like x 1
  7. phillipa#1949

phillipa#1949 Active Member

I Originally brought TWS 1/2 out of curiosity played a few times & fell in love to a point where i got the platinum trophy in both version( PS4-5) all i wish now is that they make TWS3 .

But overall its a very relaxing & enjoyable game despite its Faults (the bugs) best played at the week-end it highly addictive Thank-DTG

• Like Like x 2