Metro North Harlem Line: A Review

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by skyMutt, Mar 21, 2022.

1. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

You have to brake hard enough for the BA (Brake Assurance) light to come on in the M3A, or for the Brake Assurance or ATC Forestall text to appear on the M7A.

You can release the brake once the overspeed light goes off at 1mph below the target speed.

The Alerter is more of an alarm sound than beeping like ATC/ACSES.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

I seem to remember as I was running, that with ATCS, if it gets you for speed, that once you get below the required speed, it can be cleared without coming to a complete stop, thought it takes the brakes a bit to release. On ATC, it seems as long as you are braking it won't cause an e-brake on the train you just have to put up with the alarm until you are slow enough to satisfy it. I do acknowledge all alerts just to be safe.

3. sinnere

sinnere Active Member

Yes I'm sure he's aware that you have to "brake hard enough". The question is exactly how much braking is required? Like he has mentioned and what I've noticed as well, is that there seems to be no uniform brake amount to clear the ATC alert. It ranges from 30% and upwards depending on the speed.

4. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

It doesn't depend on speed (at least from my experience), I like to play it safe and use a minimum of 40% brakes, but putting it at 50% or higher on both the M3A and M7A will definitely put you in-line with the braking curve. However, of course, the M7A is quite a bit more responsive than the M3A, which takes an extra second to release its brakes.

It is possible for the emergency brakes to be triggered if you don't respond quick enough, however, I've found it to be very lax in this regard, and it's ultimately something you shouldn't worry too much about. I've only had maybe 2 or 3 emergency brake applications after having done around 30 services on this line so far. Unlike PZB tripping me up 2 or 3 times per trip on a German route :D

• Like Like x 3
  5. subwayvaughn

subwayvaughn Active Member

Thank you for the excellent review, skyMutt. I wish I read it before I purchased this DLC. I have ridden the MN Harlem Valley Line numerus times as a teen to my early adulthood when I lived in NYC. This is a route that hits home which is why I'm critical with DTG's current release. I am a bit disappointed this is not a full electric route that terminates where the Wassaic Shuttle begins. My main disappointment comes from the ahead AI trains gridlocking on more than several timetable sessions, signaling issues, and a meager representation of Park Ave. / Manhattan skyline. Grand Central Terminal is a barren, dark, and desolate place that fits a scene for a zombie apocalypse movie rather than a bustling, lively, and busy rail terminal. The sounds of the trains are good, but the ambient city sounds make Manhattan seem like a small town rather than a metropolis. Overall, I feel this dlc was rushed without thoroughly being tested prior to release. I hope DTG quickly releases an update that fixes the game play issues and add more features such as better ambient sounds, and maybe a few iconic landmark buildings for the Manhattan skyline.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  6. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

There was a recent update that went live just yesterday, which contains several fixes and changes concerning the Harlem Line.

You can find the full patch notes here.

There's much to welcome here, as much of what was fixed does help to improve the experience a bit. Despite running some services with heavy traffic, I didn't find myself in the midst of any snarl ups or in a stuck situation (I did a run for Trains 2331 to Crestwood, and Train 670 to GCT).
    Both of which were pleasant runs, with tons of yellows and reds to deal with! :)
    [​IMG]

I had noticed a few other minor changes as well, of which were not really stated in the patch notes...

[​IMG]
    I think the trains might have had a subtle extra pass for weathering, more notably for the M7. I don't remember seeing seeing soo many prominent streaks along the upper half of the bodywork.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also believe there might have been an uptick to the passenger volume. Not only did a majority of stations have dense passenger numbers, but my train stayed relatively packed all the way to Grand Central too.

Again, take these with a grain of salt, as these are not stated in the patch notes and it's just purely speculation on my part.

However despite all these welcomed changes, there's still some things left to be fixed.
    The most notable of issues, at least in my opinion, is that the player and AI M7A trains do not have proper motor sounds throughout the length of the train. It seems to be localized to the two cars/married pair nearest to the player camera. The rest of the train typically doesn't play any motor sounds at all, just the sounds of its HVAC unit and track noises.
    Furthermore, Grand Central Terminal still lacks any proper station clutter, and the platforms are completely barren of anything.
    These are issues that have persisted since the launch of this DLC.

So while I'll give credit to DTG for fixing some things, I still believe that the Harlem Line could benefit from another pass, especially to address the issues I've pointed out above.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Looking at older screenshots of mine, the M7As were just as weathered a few weeks ago as well, so no changes regarding that. But the rest of the (good) changes are a pleasure to hear.

• Like Like x 1
  8. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

I haven't found any changes yet, but I will keep an eye on it if I do see some changes, i will post it here.;)