Train Sim World 2 - Railroading’s Most Famous Curve

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, Apr 5, 2022.

1. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

Loved the horn and the loco. Scenery was great. Scenarios look like fun. Couldn’t stay for the whole stream. Did anyone catch if the ditch lights flashed with the horn or if the minimum air brake reduction was less than 10 pounds?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

The ditch lights don't flash, but the brakes are correct.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

The minimum reduction application is about 7-8 pound from what i saw during the stream. I know It should be about 6 pound reduction but what the hell, i love the route.

• Like Like x 1
  4. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Overall looks very good, and running long heavy trains over th 3% South Fork should be fun.

Very minor ticks:
    • Traffic on the British side of the road
    • Ditch lights don't flash
    • Railfan holding camera in a truly bizarre way
    • Recycled AC4400 MFDs
    • Forested hillsides unfortunately have that MSB/Arosa effect, with too few trees stuck into a flat grass texture. Nothing like Clinchfield's wonderful forests
    On the other hand, we have
    • Working distance/train length display
    • Glorious horn sounds
    • Tourist info signs at the Curve
    • Brakes that seem to function prototypically
    • PRR/Conrail's peculiar "restricting stop" aspects
    • Overall good train sounds (except for, apparently, no flange squeal at all)

• Like Like x 7
  5. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I have to admit I wasn’t entirely awake for the stream (long day at work) but what I’ve seen looked quite nice. It seems like Skyhook took the feedback to Cane Creek to heart and tried to do better. However, due to the issues with which Cane Creek and especially the Br 187 launched, I’m still a little on the fence. I’ll probably wait for the reports at launch before making my decision.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. ehz0689

ehz0689 Well-Known Member

Is the flat car suppose to hold steel?

7. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

That's a pretty big miss on Horseshoe where you can hear it all the time.

8. ehz0689

Were the Amtrak stations of Altoona and Johnston built in this route

9. grahamsarea18

grahamsarea18 Member

Would really like to see a legit free roam open switches or close em as needed.

10. TrainSim-Adam

TrainSim-Adam Staff Member

The road is certainly there when I have looked.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

How can you consider this to be a " very minor tick "? Ridiculous how this could escape all testing. If I recall, something similar happened with the Boston route.

12. Tanglebones

Tanglebones Well-Known Member

Probably because he's here to drive trains, not cars, and roads aren't seen on most of the route. And easily fixed.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Crosstie

Well then, so much for authenticity.
    Easily fixed? But will it ever be?

14. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Success is the sum of small details
    Failure is the sum of small mistakes

• Like Like x 1
  15. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Not sure about Boston, but definitely happened on Riesa.

16. VA Railfan

VA Railfan Active Member

Does the cab signals work on the ES44AC?

also fix the MFD to the proper one for the ES44AC

17. wxtr7

wxtr7 Well-Known Member

After watching last nights stream, I still have mixed feelings, but more positive than negative. The scenery looks really good as do the locos. Concerns I have:
    1. I said it above, I'll say it again - the MFDs need to be changed to reflect the ES44. Things in particular the GEVO screens have: icons for the horn, bell, and sand when they're in use. The text speedometer has decimal points when less than 10mph, and the digital "analog" speedometer looks different. It as info about the EOT and DPU (even if not present in game), the buttons at the bottom are colored. I respect this isn't game breaking, but this is immersion breaking and the copy and paste job here stings a little for an otherwise decently modeled loco.
    2. I'm reserving judgement on sounds until I get the route next week. Some of the GEVO sounds came across nicely, but the low volume on the stream and probably it's quality didn't overly impress me on what was there. The idle audio definitely sounds wrong - maybe they only used high idle? The horn also didn't sound great, felt like it was too high pitch and lacked the depth it should have - maybe stream quality, maybe not.
    3. The two scenarios they did, iirc the instructions said the train was already set up, but it the rear DPUs weren't playing the audio they should have (they were only playing idle). So I don't know if its a bug that DPUs only play idle, or if the train isn't actually set up. Also couldn't tell if the MUs were playing any audio. At one point they went to outside cam at a level crossing and it sounded like only the lead engine had audio which started to fade away and was replaced by the running sounds of the freight cars. On the positive side, unlike Sherman Hill, it did sound like AI actually plays proper audio and isn't stuck in idle.
    4. The physics seemed off. It's hard to tell since I don't know the weight of the trains they were running, but something didn't feel right.
    5. The ES44 was doing that weird air spitting thing the EMDs do when the compressor turns on. This has me concerned the ES44 uses the EMD GP38/SD40 compressor audio, though I also saw the chat saying they heard the classic "whoop" (which I didn't) so I don't know what is going on there.
    6. The bell should turn on automatically with the horn. That's pretty much standard in the modern locos as far as I know (at least the ES44 does)

• Like Like x 4
  18. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

With 40 cars trains for gen 8 consoles instead of 50 at SPG => earliest buy, if it is on sale. :)

19. prrsteamfan

prrsteamfan Member

So far, I'm liking what I see with a few minor grievances. Most notably, Gallitzin and the west portal. The park there is arguably one of the most visited spots on the west slope, and rather iconic too.
    [​IMG]

This is really all we'd need, a split rail fencerow, some benches and picnic tables, the sign, and that gorgeous PRR N5C caboose.

I couldn't see much of Cresson from the preview, but hope that the railroad park and the other N5C on the route are there, since they sit directly opposite from a major location on the route. Reuse the same asset, skin it differently, done.

[​IMG]

20. matt8350

matt8350 Member

I did notice one thing, the scenery up around the Gallitzin / Allegheny tunnels is incorrect. The hillside is to far over on the eastern side of the tunnels and on the western side of the tunnels the hillside is also to far over also. That's the only thing I noticed while watching the stream last night.

21. ehz0689

I'm hoping one day we can have a loco dlc of the Pennsylvanian from Altoona to Johnston.

• Like Like x 2
  22. metro north railfan 224

metro north railfan 224 Active Member

I’m guessing you’re referring to Amtrak?

23. ehz0689

Of course?

• Like Like x 1
  24. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

A10CFBFF-8FB2-435B-91D0-B21DEDFDE0E6.jpeg 5DFF4214-9AAC-4D04-ABDE-56055352368B.jpeg I’m enjoying this route so far and haven’t even touched a train yet. Just exploring the scenery.

A nice touch is that they used an accurate and unique asset for the Johnstown Amtrak passenger station. Nice job Skyhook!

• Like Like x 9
  25. Crosstie

Yes, missing a few touches, but that is one of the best bits of real world asset modeling I've seen in the game so far.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
  26. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

Also very cool to see that the Railroaders Memorial Museum in Altoona has been modelled along with their turntable and stationary cars:

1DDC3B56-ECBE-4690-912F-F85ECC362210.jpeg 81417A3A-1EAB-4299-A184-C2E52D2FCCE9.jpeg 207C2B77-8A1D-4B4F-BF3B-DA80B15E8E55.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  27. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

Cresson Railroad Park:

89C55566-B66C-47E5-B9D0-BA72948ABD2D.jpeg 4457DE2F-8961-4A56-B706-CA16AC3BDC5F.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  28. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

There also a roundhouse with NS locos but the track to the turntable stops before they even reach the turntable.

29. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Im assuming that's the backshops of Altoona Works?
    safe_image (1).jpg

30. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

And another unique building I spotted in the distance at Cresson:

C020AB35-526A-4F43-A021-36D75779F68A.jpeg

Your train doesn’t go anywhere near it, and this is as close as you can get with the free cam, but it looked unique. So I checked google maps and it’s the Mount Aloysius College.

0C04DB89-A2A8-4FA9-9E96-27BA7FECD2F9.jpeg

So bravo again to Skyhook. They could have gotten away with putting just a generic building there but instead they modelled the real one.

• Like Like x 8
  31. jiroo92

jiroo92 Member

Have anybody seen the new flat car or gondola? I have tried many different timetable services but havent seen those yet.

32. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

No. That turntable is there, but the one in my pics is a totally separate one, privately owned by the Railroaders Memorial Museum:
    https://www.railroadcity.org/

E1D0463B-6A46-4BE4-8D5C-B0EE0099BF5E.jpeg

It’s adjacent to the line and across from the Amtrak station in Altoona.

Altoona works is further east:
    48A43A6F-9263-4B9D-ABFE-1497AD0F054E.jpeg

I wouldn’t say the Altoona works turntable is the best looking part of this route (building is accurate but the ground looks a little too “clean” with just basic grey ballast and no debris/equipment lying around) but here it is:

DC6A9964-DDE9-48BE-A0BB-03C477CE6C26.jpeg

The GP38 with engine room doors open is a nice touch.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
  33. mcskimmingj

mcskimmingj Member

Is it just me or do their seem to be some some oddities with engine sounds with the es44ac like the engine sounds really odd like a loud static crackle I'm. Unfamiliar with this loco so idk if that's how it's meant to sound but I noticed when I went to other end of the train there was next to engine noise when the engine is definitely running again idk if it just me anyone else noticed odd sounds with the es44ac

34. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

Someone in the stream last week asked, "do the crossing gates work", simple answer NO. There are not very many level crossings on this route, PRR was famous for grade separation. The first leaving Altoona is Porta Rd, called "Brickyard Crossing" by fans, and its gates stay raised as the train passes. I have not gone as far as the next crossing which is Carneys Crossing west of Cresson so don't know if it works.

• Like Like x 2
  35. prrsteamfan

prrsteamfan Member

There’s a lot that I’m enjoying about the route so far! However, there’s a few things that I’m not so fond of at the moment. First of all, the Juniata Shops turntable area. Myself, I’ve stood with a camera lens through the fence next to it, while NS power moved around the complex. Of course, there’s plenty of clutter here in real life, and also, the absence of the residential street and aforementioned fence.

4EFF174C-0F3A-4B62-9D7A-FFADC97383AD.jpeg 5312BF2D-996F-46DF-AA8F-8C5284AAFCAA.jpeg

Next issue, the previously discussed absence of the Gallitzin Tunnels Park. The N5C model clearly exists, and so do park assets from the curve itself.

Another problem: Where’s AR Tower? The structure still existed at the time the route is set, and without it, the New Portage section of the line feels empty. 3C97EF41-6C4F-45C1-8C9A-E1572F24FF6E.jpeg
    A3E26DEC-8B8F-4CCF-B77B-133CAF6288E9.jpeg

While it isn’t strictly necessary, but since we have the fantastic roundhouse asset at the Railroaders’ Memorial Museum, the actual former PRR Master Mechanics Building that houses the museum itself isn’t modeled. I’m unsure if it’s possible, but an asset from the original TS Classic version of HSC resembled it, and could be upgraded.

20865931-81EC-4BA4-A990-3B57BA1FD524.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  36. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I ran into a serious issue. You can save the game, it is stored on disk, but if you resume later, the save file cannot be read. In the route selection menu it is not visible, in the main menu game save is disabled.

TrainSim-Adam please get this fixed soon. In this way I lost over 1 hour of gameplay already.

37. notch 8 nate

notch 8 nate New Member

Not just this route but all the routes with intermodal equipment is the unrealistic well cars, there should be 3 packers or 5 packers not just all single well cars. The style is similar it shouldn’t be that hard for the developers to model into the game as the well cars aren’t dramatically different just share axles.

Added a photo for reference.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  38. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

Be careful with this savegame, I SPAD with GP38-2 and use "Load last checkpoint" save but game was simply unplayable. DPU system (Banking COMM) was ruined and I can't reset it for dynamic brake. When I put front to Set-Up rear jump to Notch8, impossible going downhill from Cresson.

39. grahamsarea18

grahamsarea18 Member

Usual glitches, glitches and more glitches. Everything from signal errors to "train appears to be off path" when in scenario mode. The blue path and switches are usually set automatically for you. The locos are impressive and scenery is getting better and better. But what's the use to a pretty bush? If the game doesnt preform adequately. Overall I gave Horseshoe curve a (C+) grade. Why did we have to wait this long? Have setbacks in production? Just to still have same ol' same ol' problems despite two major gaming development companies working in collaboration on this one project. I thought I had learned my lessons in the past. Wait and not buy right as soon as dlc is released. Then buy six monthes down the line. When most major glitches/bugs have been fixed or patched. By then the sales start and I usually get a better version of same exact dlc for a cheaper price. Never again will the people at dtg get my $$$ upfront. Must prove that the product is just as valuable as the cold hard cash in forking over for these games.

• Like Like x 3
  40. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Not if there are manual switches. You must always check those yourself (as the tutorials and scenarios like to remind you of).

• Like Like x 1
  41. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

42. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Skyhook Games should fix this and have selected services have their locomotives come out of the Shops.

43. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

True, and in more than half of cases, after a restore the game will fail sooner or later, often with a phantom SPAD or a signalling deadlock; but on HSC it isn't even possible to restore a saved game - something more fundamental is broken (the other routes I've checked still 'work' as well as they ever did).

• Like Like x 2