Are We Really Aware Of What Joe Did At Bml?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by erg73, Feb 15, 2022.

1. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

Don't forget Balcombe too. :)

2. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

You are not alone in that and I bet there are more that would me included.

3. bartolomaeusz

bartolomaeusz Well-Known Member

I agree, this one rocks with the timetable and the AI traffic

4. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

I too would like to doth my cap on Joe's incredible efforts.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

However it's all for nought on a route where you can only reliably run a service in one go without saving and resuming later.

• Like Like x 2
  6. CrAzZyKiLLa

CrAzZyKiLLa Well-Known Member

Yes a Class 700 would add a nice ammount, but I feel DTG wont do this until they have optimized the route better. Even Rush hour passengers havnt made an appearence yet. I see no performance impact when modded them in on PC. So i dont see any additions to this route anytime soon.

• Like Like x 2
  7. OldVern

As per my comment above, although the Class 700 holds no personal interest for me (I would prefer a 4 VEP or 4CIG), I would be reluctant to buy any DLC while the save game cannot hold or add extra services which could snarl things up even more. Ergo DTG not likely to make much money out of it!

• Like Like x 2
  8. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

How about a 4COR 2EPB 4TC Class 73 these are the other legends of BML. The only way I see Class 700 arriving is a Rush Hour Train Pack made up of Boston-Providence HSP-46 Avelia Liberty BML Class 700 Class 70 or Class 73/9 Riesa-Dresden DB BR146.0 Mixed traffic DB BR145 & DB BR411 ICE-T.

9. Cotax

Cotax Well-Known Member

I am sorry, what exactly did i miss? Who is Joe and what has he done? Are we talking about eastcoastway? Is this a mod?

10. OldVern

Joe is the timetable author at DTG.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  11. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

When You've can run all services without the dispatch breaking then and only then will I be inpressed.

Currently as far as I'm consider, Joe has created a timetable which the AI dispatcher cant cope with. Is that really something to shout about?

• Like Like x 2
  12. OldVern

Exactly, as I noted yesterday in the thread. This had the potential to be the ultimate route to spend a whole shift driving trains over several sessions, but until the save game bug is sorted and the signalling/AI generally more reliable, Joe’s efforts remain a superb but currently futile inclusion to the route.

• Like Like x 3
  13. cloudyskies21

I'd have to respectfully disagree. Having completed more than 250 services on London Commuter with the Series X thus far, the AI dispatcher seems to work fine for the most part...

This epic timetable does need shouting about positively, personally because I feel timetables on a lot of other routes before and since have seemed either empty, mediocre or both - London Commuter's huge timetable variety and depth with services ranging from 7mins up to 1h 9mins make this, with the addition of bonus ones like the Class 313 or 375, perhaps the best TSW 2 route we'll potentially ever get - we need more routes with a timetable like this, even if it is a challenge for the AI dispatcher, to make new routes more exciting!

• Like Like x 5
  14. redrev1917

Yeah I'm positive that after a 45 min run up to London I absolutely love getting stuck at a red because of a dispatch issue and being unable to finish the service.

We could have 10 or a 1000 services but if it's not possible to complete them all what's the point?

• Like Like x 1
  15. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

In this case its also a good project to check what the dispatcher is capable of. In my opinion important when it comes to route decisions.

Yes there are 2-3 services can cause a mess in the timetable mode.
    I work around those, and while i spawn on foot and never do use the save function, bml is running surprisingly well on my pc. Even multiple services in one game.

Joe worked way beyond the planned scope, and i call this a sucess.

• Like Like x 4
  16. redrev1917

A project to check the capability of the system shouldn't then get sold as a working DLC.
    I'd rather have brought a smaller timetable that works 100%. Then if DTG want to release a 2nd timetable that pushes the boundaries of what can be done FOC as a open beta then great.

• Like Like x 1
  17. cloudyskies21

I recommend a very useful tip. On London Commuter, start every service by spawning on foot - you won't get any red signals this way in comparison with starting a service via the timetable selection menu. All the time in the technical forum, you hear people who've had difficulty finishing specific services due to endless reds - always turns out they don't start by spawning on foot as I can always complete them.

18. redrev1917

You shouldn't need to start on foot in order to avoid broken services. How do you do journey mode starting on foot for starters?

It might be a work around, but a work around shouldn't be needed for a route released 9 months ago.

• Like Like x 4
  19. cloudyskies21

Let me be clear, I absolutely agree with you regarding this, I do find it frustrating that you can't select from the timetable menu without the risk of not being able to finish it - and should have been fixed by now. When the route first came out, I had the same issue of encountering endless reds until I realised spawning on foot never created any problems unlike the menu.

Agreed, but I hope at least for now you can enjoy a bit more of the route knowing you can at least finish services on the route.

• Like Like x 2
  20. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Beside the scenarios i do everything from the "free spawn" mode. Maybe i need to mention im not a medal hunter.

But this way i enjoy tsw a lot more, not only the dispatcher works better, you can start the shift 10mins earlier and setup everything, looking around whats going on etc.

Not even my own mistakes are a reason to restart the session, you get surprising results by starting a delayed service.

I screwed up a lu stock setup at harrow and wealdstone, caused a delay of 4min.
    Totally in a rush and used to the green signals another stock at queens park got priority. Spaded the signal at 15mph.

My point and opinion is, loading a service directly from the menu is probably the least interesting and most buggy way to enjoy tsw. But hey, thats just me.

• Like Like x 2
  21. OldVern

I agree with the Rev (again!). Journey mode is meant to be the “readers choice” of the route experience, the best timetable runs and scenarios mixed up with different weather or time of year conditions. You cannot start on foot, unless the scenario is scripted that way.

• Like Like x 1
  22. redrev1917

Does this work on other routes with broken services as well or just BML?

23. cloudyskies21

I'm not 100% certain on this unfortunately. But, I do now for whatever route I play always spawn on foot as I find it more realistic/immersive anyway, and I've never hardly encountered, if any, red signal bugs elsewhere - so potentially a good workaround for all TSW 2 routes it seems.

• Like Like x 1
  24. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

It also works for a couple of services on the Harlem line I know of that run into AI tangles.

The timetable on BML is a tremendous triumph for TSW and dynamic dispatching. It creates so many possibilities whenever you start a service. I am grateful for all the work and passion that Joe put into creating that timetable.

Let us not look at a 4000 service timetable and then get bogged down in the handful of services that lock up when you try and drive them.

• Like Like x 4
  25. redrev1917

I find that a very strange arguement. You only need 1 service that locks up and it's a potential customer lost.

Imagine you are brand new to the game and the first service you play happens to be one that is broken. Are you going to continue or just refund (given you've only 2 hours in which to refund)?

• Like Like x 2
  26. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

Imo it's the only saving grace of the route

27. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Services lock up even on scanty timetables like WSR

28. OldVern

And it's more than just a handful. The timetable is so complex that every service has the potential to lock up. The schedules are also quite slack in some places and certainly not unusual for the player train to arrive a few minutes early. especially at Gatwick. If this extends to trains running as AI then it's not hard to see how things can get out of sequence, so in some ways having such a complex timetable but an over abundance of pathing/recovery time was a bit of an own goal, albeit a magnificent one.

• Like Like x 1
  29. redrev1917

And if you or anyone else would like to create a thread about the wonderous WSR timetable, I'll make the same point.

A timetable is only as good as it's weakest part. When the weakest part is a game breaking bugs then th whole timetable may as well be a game breaking bug.

• Like Like x 1
  30. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I'm of the opinion that if a service is identified as broken, red light or whatever then DTG should pull it until it is fixed. Like redrev said if you are a new customer and you indeed play the broken route that is going to be a customer lost. And by pulling these routes it might give DTG an incentive to fix them quicker.

• Like Like x 3
  31. redrev1917

To drive home my point about this route (no pun intended),

Today Ive attempted service 1W30 on London Commuter, which is the first service in journey mode (so likely to be the first service many people will ever drive on TSW2). 5 attempts and 5 crashes in completely different areas. No other DLC ever crashes for me.

Ive created a bug report and uploaded vidoes of 4/5 of the crashes, but seriously if this was my first impression of TSW I certainly would have refunded. Busy routes are all well and good but whats the point if its unplayable on a system which exceeds the minimum spec of the game?

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/london-commuter-1w30-crashes.54058/

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  32. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Has there been an update after which all this is kicked off? I never had any trouble with BML apart from frame rate. On that note redrev1917 you may have had a corrupted download of an update which may be a Steam issue (I had one once) - have you tried re-installing BML or verifying files?

• Like Like x 1
  33. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

That is very odd, of the 4 crashes 3 were at pretty much the exact spot. The other one crashed later on but if you watch it past the point it "usually" crashed at it did think about it!

34. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

A similar thing popped up for me on DRA not long ago where it was crashing in the exact same spot. It turns out that I had a custom livery that required a decal mod that I had disabled. Loading that livery in a siding crashed the game. I had to disable all my mods and add-ons and then slowly add them back in to figure out what the culprit was.

I am not saying that the issue is your fault or that it is just isolated to you. I’m just sorry that you’re having trouble and hope that this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  35. redrev1917

Hi, no mods but despite an early verification of files on steam showing no issues, I did a full reinstall of the route and not only did I get zero crashes and completed it first time, it also ran far better in general.

Maybe, just maybe the route wasnt to blame on this occassion ;)

• Like Like x 3
  36. OldVern

It's strange as I too just experienced a Miracle On BML (as opposed to 34th Street...).

Started a Journey run earlier from Brighton to Victoria which I had to save on the approach to East Croydon and come off the PC.

With much trepidation I reloaded, first pleasant surprise was that all the data was correct including the top LH corner objective details. A steady procession of greens as far as Balham where my heart sank on sighting a double yellow. But no it cleared up to green on approach and this continued to be the case through Clapham Junction. Heart sank further approaching Victoria checked down to a red at the final signal with two trains already stood on adjacent lines. But no, a departing service emerged and the train to the left of me got the road into P16 then a few seconds later I got signalled into P14.

So maybe I just got lucky or maybe there has been a bit of undocumented tinkering to make things work better. I still feel the early running may be partly responsible for the problems that do occur though, something gets out of sequence and stops the job.

• Like Like x 4
  37. MAX1319

MAX1319 Well-Known Member

I hope this becomes a reality if the 700 is released

• Like Like x 3