Jamie & The Gwe

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by dhekelian, Apr 13, 2022.

1. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

A few weeks ago Jamie was supposed to have done a GWE stream on TSW2 but couldn't due to illness. As he is doing two streams next week it seems he has recovered so when is Jamie going to do the GWE or has this stream been cancelled?

For a suggestion is there any chance Adam could do it?

2. highland beastie

highland beastie Well-Known Member

If Adam does it we might end up with an early preview of the GWE preservation update!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  3. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

DTG seem to be pulling back from streaming TSW, for 2nd week on the bounce we are down to a single TSW stream.
    Coupled with the lack of interaction on the forums, you could easily jump to the conclusion that they are hiding away from the TSW community.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that DTG is releasing Train Simulator Classic next week. It makes sense that it has more stream time than usual.

• Like Like x 3
  5. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I would envisage heads are being kicked around the office floor focusing on other things

6. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

Yes, i dont know if this is not the end of long term support of TSXX. This sim has a lot of fans but seems impossible to update any further. Part from new routes there is nothing really new in this year releases.

Probably more TSW streams will be back after that releases. But yes I fell they are probably more cautious with community now. Or is it Nat departure maybe ?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions so fast because it's the second week with "only" one stream, while things are going on behind the scene. Community manager change, launch of a differnt title, still developement going on for completely new tech for a completely new feature in the game; there can be many reasons for it.

I would wait until they drop the TSW streams completely for a month or so before getting worried.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

One TSW stream in a week is more than enough for me. I prefer driving myself.

• Like Like x 4
  9. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

As I’ve mischievously noted before, DTG can be very fickle when it comes to product. Flight Sim World seemed to be going very well, even to the point of selling DLC then promptly yanked the rug under it.

TS Classic is still good but lacks long term love, the route editor in particular has been crying out for improvements and updates but never touched as apparently DTG don’t consider a niche utility worthy of spending money or manpower on.

• Like Like x 3
  10. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

TS classic lacks so much basics... You cant even change keyboard layout... In 2022 i need to change my Azerty keyboard for a fake qwerty one in windows each time i fire TS...

I think they didnt want to touch it too much in order to avoid braking the retro-compatibility with all routes.

For FSW i dont know, i suppose flight sim customers were not ready to have a DLC for each part of the planet when FSX or others offre whole world, even if basic.

11. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Also, plenty of people on the TS1 side have been begging for more streams.

12. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

According to the article about TS Classic and some of the comments Jamie has made in the TS forum, there are no plans to drop TSC and to stop developing new routes for it.

That's exactly what has been said on posts about why they haven't updated things. They don't want to mess up compatibility with older routes and add-ons.

13. atomicdanny

atomicdanny Staff Member

They aren't stopping routes - there are currently a few on the plan, and at least one being built at present and another starting with at least 2 more after those (I can't say more than that of course)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

Which isn't necessary a bad thing. Time that can be spend more wisely at the moment. If you do streams every week selling your routes like they are in perfect shape to buy whilst your user base is moaning about the quality you send the wrong message imo.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

We have 2 TS streams this week for the release of Train Simulator Classic, will see if I can sort the GWE stream for a later date

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. mariussoare_84

mariussoare_84 Well-Known Member

Whatever you decide to stream, you are still under ¨Art¨ on Twitch for a few streams now.

• Like Like x 1
  17. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It's hardly surprising that TSW streams are a bit attenuated what with Natalie having left and her replacement not yet up to speed. That means they are a presenter short right now.

18. Clumsy Pacer

I don't think Natalie's left quite yet, I think she still has another week or two, also, I don't think they've even hired her replacement yet:
    https://dovetailgames.com/vacancies/senior-community-manager

19. Clumsy Pacer

I do like this banner on the job advert though :D
    upload_2022-4-14_17-46-42.png

Sometimes does feel like a battle.

• Like Like x 4
  20. dhekelian

I'm sure they could update it if they wanted but they would not want people switching to TS1.

That would be great especially before the update drops so we can see what we are getting.

I don't think the streams have been the same since Sam took a back seat. If they need a presenter to fill in the 'British Ace' would be a good fit imo.

21. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

I would have cancled that game too, at least when MSFS was announced. That thing came around and slapped the competition with a lead pipe.

And from what I read online, it didn't do that well. What's worrying is that what went wrong with FSW reminds me an aweful lot of TSW...

• Like Like x 3
  22. apophis55

apophis55 Active Member

The requirements for the new community manager are ridiculous. All they have to do is repeat what management tells them, a chimp could do it...

• Like Like x 4
  23. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Well thats not really the role is it? you are not a mouthpiece, these days the customers views should be heard and understood inside an organisation and if they aren't that is your fault.

No mention of any salary whatsoever, always a big red flag.

24. solicitr

What went wrong with FSW was getting its market sector stomped by an 800-pound gorilla.

• Like Like x 3
  25. OldVern

Although with hindsight, FSW didn't require over 100Gb of HD space, didn't need to spend 30 minutes each time you go back to it downloading updates etc., etc. If it had got to the stage where some big jets were included I might well have kept it on the HD. Essentially it was FSX SE with all the bugs and legacy compatibility issues ironed out but as said it got steam rollered by the big(ger) boys.

Of course one could muse what might happen to TS and TSW if at some future point Asobo and MS decided to relaunch their train franchise. Though MS previous record on that front ain't great..!

However that's not to show ingratitude for what DTG are doing, in terms of a popular all round train sim product otherwise we would be stuck with aging MSTS running under Open Rails, Trainz (gods help us) or the various smaller franchises. So for all I may gripe and moan - all in the interest of seeing things get better - I'm spending the lion's share of my train simming time (and money) on DTG products, mainly TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  26. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

I have no idea what a stream in the game is, but I agree with you, I prefer driving :-D

27. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

It's like a river, but smaller.

• Like Like x 3
  28. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

That is exceptionally unreasonable. Community management is the toughest job in the games industry. When the community is as passionate and demanding as this one, doubly so.

• Like Like x 22
  29. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

Hahahahahaha, poor you.

• Like Like x 1
  30. roysto25

roysto25 Well-Known Member

I echo DTG Protagonist above - except that passionate and demanding is one thing from the community - downright insulting is quite another.

• Like Like x 3
  31. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

I guess you want your feedback & suggestions ending up at the right table, dont you? Also this forum has a lot of active members.

So if you search for an easy peasy job, a forum full of train enthusiasts rating your train game is probably the wrong decision.

32. solicitr

What a douchey remark

• Like Like x 3
  33. redrev1917

As I've said on another thread, this forum has turned toxic.

• Like Like x 2
  34. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Nat is gone a few hours and there is a forum riot.

• Like Like x 1
  35. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

That's because of a design flaw with the game itself; controls are chosen (at least generally) by the train, not the game. Amazingly, they sort of made this mistake in TSW but I believe on PC it is possible to change keybinds (not certain though).

And as some of you were mentioning FSW earlier, I think it was a complete missed opportunity to cancel it. MSFS may have won even if FSW wasn't cancelled but I'd rather have a niche FSW than no FSW at all.

36. OldVern

Indeed. It was essentially a remastered and drastically improved FSX SE and had a far more reasonable hardware footprint than MSFS. At the time, the tinfoil hat theory was that MS wanted their intellectual property back, presumably in readiness for the - at that point unannounced - relaunch of their own product with Asobo.

• Like Like x 1
  37. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Recommend DTG hr do some research on applicant numbers to adverts without salary vs those with.
    They'll find people apply less as there is a lowballing perception or that competitive salary is competitive internally, not externally .Enough literature out there for them.

38. RobSkip

RobSkip Well-Known Member

'Remastered and drastically improved FSX' is just Prepar3D though, it already existed at the time and had a good user base, you could even use FSX content. It does everything FSW did, only better, and had an SDK at release. Honestly, FSW not having any tools upon release was the biggest killer for the community, and the very average content provided by DTG just pushed the nail in further. Even if it hadn't been binned, by the time MSFS released it would've had zero market share.

• Like Like x 1
  39. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

But why would they do that ? We find out about stuff eventually , so why hide for so long ? The only things they could be hiding is spirit of steam and the summer release

40. roysto25

roysto25 Well-Known Member

DTG made the right decision on FSW. They did not have the resources or tools to compete in that arena, particularly with someone else's intellectual property and there was a far more capable entrenched competitor - X-Plane, whose owner is a real aircraft enthusiast and also an aerospace engineer. On the other hand, TS and TSW have serious train enthusiasts working on them.

• Like Like x 2
  41. dhekelian

I don't think so. The worst ones I have seen were on the Playstation or EA compared to them this forum is polite imo.

• Like Like x 1
  42. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Wow . If this is ‘polite’ then what’s the EA one like ?

• Like Like x 2
  43. OldVern

Frontier forums for Elite Dangerous can get quite salty. And if you like keyboard lawyering, there’s always Speakers Corner at the Overclockers UK forum!

• Like Like x 1
  44. redrev1917

Now that's a game with some serious issues with a very irate player base especially those on console who have basically been sold a lie and no longer receiving updates or support. In no way defending the actions of the player base but I can very well understand their frustrations.

If people think DTG have issues, then I'd recommend researching what Frontier has put their player base through over the last 12 months and you'll be thankful for DTG

• Like Like x 2
  45. dhekelian

Go take a look. The FIFA ones got real bad at one point although it is calmer now. But I found the PS forums to be salty as well, this was a few years ago so might have changed by now but honestly the DTG forums are light years away from what I have seen there and other forums.

I found the less devs interact with the community the more salty the forums get don't know if that's everywhere but just an observation.

46. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

What’s scary is that Elite has dropped console support.
    Dovetail is finding it difficult to support older platforms with their inbuilt limitations.
    Let’s hope it doesn’t become a bigger problem.

As a pc user I support consoles as they increase the player base and the revenue stream.

• Like Like x 4
  47. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

The feeling was that consoles were closer to PCs than before (gen8 vs gen7) and so it would be easier to develop for both. What no-one has considered is that console generation specs are entirely static while most PC users upgrade even slightly over time. Thus your playerbase have diverging specs which at some point becomes a big issue.

• Like Like x 2
  48. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

And yet, the numbers watching TSC streams are only a small fraction of those who watch TSW streams. Personally I only watch a stream to glean information, i.e. if it’s a preview, a tutorial, a roadmap, or a « state of the game ». As someone already pointed out, why watch someone else when one could be doing it oneself?

• Like Like x 2
  49. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

To be fair, console users can also upgrade fairly regularly now that mid-gen refresh is a thing. DTG will have to drop gen 8 support for new content eventually, and maybe this will be once the next wave of consoles is released? In 3-4 years expect the PS5 Pro and Xbox Series XXX Turbo (or whatever daft name MS come up with).

50. Clumsy Pacer

I used to watch the Workshop Wednesday streams and they were very enjoyable, particularly when Matt was there too. Sadly, I'm not busy on Wednesday evenings.
    I'm always up for an LP stream though. They're more relaxed and something nice to have on in the background.