Dlss

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by martschuffing, Apr 14, 2022.

1. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Are we going to see this implemented at any time DtG?
    "
    It’s up to developers to implement DLSS, meaning not all games support it, but Nvidia has made a concerted effort to make the process as straightforward as possible.

Currently, there are three ways for developers to introduce DLSS into their games, including natively from within Unity, downloading the Unreal Engine plugin, or grabbing the newly available SDK. Support for DLSS is growing all the time, with new games getting the feature every month – a number we expect to grow exponentially with how accessible it now is."

• Like Like x 2
  2. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

For those of us who aren't up to speed on all things tech, what is DLSS?

3. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. martschuffing

What he said! ;)

5. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

I think we will get TSR once the UE5 update happens, which is basically a version of AMD's FSR integrated into Unreal Engine.

6. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

If DLSS gets incorporated there’s going to be some wacky old engine mods start popping up on here

7. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

I think the best way to go is the Streamline SDK. It allows to use the super-sampling technology from the different vendors without having to write specific code for each one.

8. martschuffing

Well if it is possible to implement without it breaking anything then I hope they do implement it because of the performance drop since the last UE core update, it really detracts from the enjoyment I once had in TSW. Spend nearly all of my time in TS!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Well, it would only potentially benefit those players with 20xx and 30xx cards which incorporate the necessary tensor cores, so DTG may not see it as a high priority.
    Does anyone have or has played a game which uses this technology, so we could have some first hand knowledge of its effectiveness?

I have a 4k screen and do not use any AA settings, so I'm reluctant to start using them.

10. martschuffing

I use it on Everspace 2 and Wolfenstein youngblood it makes a big difference to performance, as for a 4k monitor I can't comment as I do not have one. And as it won't affect non DLSS compatible graphics cards it isn't an issue you can enable/disable it in settings anyway.

And why would it matter that it would only benefit RTX users? Is that a good enough reason not to implement it?

https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/dlss-graphics

Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  11. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

Hmmsim Metro (also Unreal Engine) looks amazing with it's DLSS setting switched on and is so much better AA than the flickerfest that is TAA, and works without reducing your fps unlike TAA - I was able to use full 4K in at steady 60fps after DLSS was introduced. Using TAA on 4K I'd get only 35fps and it doesn't look half as good. Not only should TSW run better, but in theory no more flickering overhead wires.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

DLSS (Deep Learning Super Sampling) is not AA, it is super sampling. You generate a lower resolution image (lets say 1080p as an example) then you upscale it to the resolution you want in your monitor (in your case 4K). How do you do that without it looking bad? That is where the AI comes in. Nvidia uses the tensor cores in their RTX cards and deep learning (AI) technology to figure out how the 4K version of the 1080p image should look like. Creating a lower resolution image and upscaling is less compute intensive than creating the high resolution image, and that is where the performance improvement comes from.

AMD has something similar (not exactly the same) called FSR (FidelitFX Super Resolution). It is still based on upscaling the images, but they use a different algorithm since AMD cards obviously do not have Nvidia's propietary tensor cores.
    Intel also has his own version, called XeSS (Xe Super Sampling).

Nvidia and Intel have both agreed to use the Streamline SDK, and I hope AMD will do soon too. That way every consumer can get the best result with the hardware they have without the game developers having to code for each of the platforms independently.

nvidia-gdc-2022-stack-diagram-fd.png
    Note: It doesn't take a nuclear scientist to figure out who "Hardware Vendor #3" is ;)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  13. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I'd love to see this happen but would DTG be capable of doing it? I mean they are still having issues with last years core update.

14. mariussoare_84

mariussoare_84 Well-Known Member

From a business perspective, they won´t work on this because as we know the majority of their clients for TSW2 are on consoles where they can´t use this feature. Consoles are powered by AMD chipsets which have their own similar super sampling tech.
    From a marketing perspective, maybe, as it looks good to have new/fancy tech.
    Like Inkar says, until this reaches a more universal level of adoption and support (eg AMD joins the pack) they won´t even consider it.

15. CrAzZyKiLLa

CrAzZyKiLLa Well-Known Member

Not totally true, we have gotten PC specific features such as TrackIR which consoles do not have access to. However, as the technology becomes more popluar and wide spread it will become a main feature of most games. I personally hope it gets implemented as it does make alot of difference to picture quality on my 2070S.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

While we wait for UE5 (pro tip - don't hold your breath!) I'll put in a plug for DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution) - requires an RTX graphics card. It makes a significant improvement with no detectable hit on frame rates (for me, at least). It's a setting in the nVidia Control Panel.

17. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Has the DLDSR bug which crashes TSW2 (and Windows with it) on ultrawide resolutions been fixed yet?

Cheers

18. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

Thanks Callum, I wasn't aware of that. All I can say is that it's caused no problems on my 4k system. It's been around for a while, so I'd be surprised if nVidia hadn't resolved such an issue.

19. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

DLSS usually comes bundled with RTX, as it's a nice, cheap way to get the performance up again after taking it down with RTX in the first place. Generally, every game that features one of those two has the other aswell. So I don't see it in here anytime soon as this game is definitely not made for RTX.

• Like Like x 1
  20. mariussoare_84

mariussoare_84 Well-Known Member

This is true.
    History tell us that they implement what is convenient and easy for them, not necessarily what the players need or is more expected and beneficial.
    Naturally, track IR and rail driver were easier to implement (though the later is still not compatible with all drivable rolling stock) than a feature connected to the graphics engine.
    These two can be used by anyone with a PC while DLSS can be used only by owners of RTX 20xx and newer cards which represent an even small percentage of the PC player base.
    DLSS 2.0 made it easier (or at least this is what nVidia claims) for developers to implement it via plugin. Not easy enough though it seems.

Lastly, they are releasing TS classic in a week. Their priorities and business decisions make me feel completely lost to be honest.
    In my opinion, support for TS is a non-negotiable thing and should exist for many years but some of the resources should be allocated to TSW to remain competitive, to release content of higher quality and faster. Particularly when competition is coming at them.

• Like Like x 1